• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 19 November 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

Because my score somehow makes my teammates be able to unzoom without looking at their hands before they move, know that LRMs can be fired without a lock and make them understand that BAP/CAP is far more important as a counter to ECM than it is for helping LRMs?

Dude.

We'll assume you're talking about pre-made groups in the Group Queue because, well, it sure doesn't apply to the Solo Queue.

I can CERTAINLY complain/deride/insult players that haven't even mastered the most basic skills required to simply play the game. Running around fully zoomed in, tripping and getting caught on everything DESERVES an insult. Making a 'mech with nothing but LRM launchers but failing to either load enough ammo or mitigate the heat DESERVES to be called out.
Yes but if you are deriding me while you are dead and I am alive is the poster child of:
Posted Image

#42 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostEscef, on 19 November 2014 - 07:22 AM, said:

My general response when someone goes, "s*** team, " is to reply with, "u were on it."

Not only that, but they died early enough to rant the WHOLE GAME. I'll usually wait until the scores drop and then helpfully point out how badly they played and that maybe they should try something more their speed...like Chutes and Ladders.

#43 Kensaisama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationRedford, Michigan

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:21 AM

View PostMercules, on 19 November 2014 - 09:16 AM, said:

Ehem... "Bah, you're all idiots." When calling people idiots, it is best to not use the wrong word.

True, corrected, and I stand by what was said, yer'all idgits :P

#44 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:22 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 19 November 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

Making fun of people who do poorly IS elitist.

Telling off people who did poorly who also have the temerity to ***** out their team is just desserts.

I would submit that performing Nth degress more efficiently/effectively compared to those players is a greater dessert.

To each their own, though.

#45 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:24 AM

View PostSI The Joker, on 19 November 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

I would submit that performing Nth degress more efficiently/effectively compared to those players is a greater dessert.

To each their own, though.

Meh. It pisses me off when I see the dude with 97 damage complaining about his teammates before the game is even over. If you're such a hotshot, try pulling your own weight before you complain that others aren't picking up your slack.

#46 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:38 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 19 November 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

Meh. It pisses me off when I see the dude with 97 damage complaining about his teammates before the game is even over. If you're such a hotshot, try pulling your own weight before you complain that others aren't picking up your slack.

Well sure it does, and that's justified - please understand I'm not trying to deny you that. I get very frustrated by those behaviors, too.... as would anyone, I think.

All I'm saying is that by responding to the person's anger, you just perpetuate the behavior. You give that person something to grasp on to instead of just ignoring the person and letting your score / team's score speak for itself. Truth be told, these folks generally find it more frustrating when people don't respond to their ranting. Take that for what you will.

I guess it's like someone else said... if it bothers you that much, take a break. Go eat a sammich or something.

#47 K0M3D14N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 19 November 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

The issue with the damage thing? I'm not typically an Assault pilot, but I've been playing this game long enough to have a decent idea of when and where to assert my tonnage. There have been WAY too many games with most of my team standing around fiddling where I've been like "okay we need to push here" and start to push. At first, the other team doesn't notice me- they're looking the other way. So I start to open up.

Then, they turn and I tank fire for at least a good 15-20 seconds while only managing to put back a little myself. I die and what do I see in spectator? The rest of my team still standing there and staring at the same hill they were when I started to push after saying I was going to do so in chat. I can tell you now that even though I didn't do that much damage, had my team actually followed me and risked scuffing their precious paint jobs those engagements would have turned out completely differently.

You best believe I'm going to be salty about that.

#48 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 19 November 2014 - 07:20 AM, said:

stuff

But every time I see something 55 tons or bigger with less than 150 damage? Timberwolves? Direwolves? It makes me want to cry, and it DEFINITELY makes me reach for a bottle.

Now in fairness. If you see a 55t or bigger getting <150, perhaps they have reached for said bottle to much already that night. ;)

#49 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:28 AM

View PostSI The Joker, on 19 November 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

All I'm saying is that by responding to the person's anger, you just perpetuate the behavior.

Ah, see, there's the disconnect. I'm already pretty sure that {Richard Cameron} like that are a lost cause. I'm speaking up to show other players, specifically new ones who still don't perform very well, that the 'silent majority' of the 12-man they are in aren't silent because they agree, and that people who ARE {Richard Cameron} will get called on it. :)

#50 Diablo Intercepter

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:34 AM

I think the only time I get actually angry is when I'm in an assault and the ENTIRE team decides to spend the whole match running from me. You spend the rest of the match trying to group up with your team, but they're constantly running after a fast mech. Eventually the other team finds the assault lance and you get to spend the rest of the match watching people chase lights right into enemy assault lances. I don't start calling people idiots or bad players, I just ask why my team decided they didn't need assault mechs. Hopefully someone will learn that assault mechs aren't invincible and need assistance like any other mech.

My favorite angry player was a commando pilot that died within the first 3 minutes of the game and blamed the Dire wolves for not being able to keep up with him.

#51 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:44 AM

>Kills 11 enemies
>Team gets destroyed by a locust
>FML

#52 Xmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:38 AM

I must admit, I'm guilty of the doing exactly this.

I dropped on Tourmaline skirmage in a DWF. The team takes off and leave us poor assaults.

As most should know, there is a chance a full rush will be on trying to run down the assaults in skirmage game mode.

We got separated from the rest of the team. we got caught between ecm lights and mediums. We only managed to take down 1
mech.

Before all this happened, I said that "the assaults are trapped" but it was a waste of energy".

One of the worst things to see are 4 assaults, the only ones that are dead with 3 minutes.

#53 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:28 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 19 November 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

And usually, thats my biggest regret.....

Probably the regret of the rest of your team as well.

#54 Mothykins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:37 PM

"Hey guys, I'm gonna flank."

"Hey guys, I have a lance distracted."

"Hey guys, maybe you should make a push, I'm distracting them."

"Oh, you're gonna just sit back and let them LRM you to death? Ok, cool, I guess..."

This is recurring.

#55 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:44 PM

As long as my team is anywhere relevant I'm okay with dying.

#56 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:57 PM

I like telling them, "I hope everybody on the team pulled more weight than my measley Locust... "

*Locust gets top match score and damage/kills*

Especially denigrating pre-quirks. ^_^

#57 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:33 PM

View Postkesmai, on 19 November 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

And you where the perfect mechwarrior from birth on ?
I see.

Nope. And I get what you're saying. I did my time doing the whole "be nice to new players, teach them how to play" crap.

They get a cbill bonus for the first 25 matches, why don't I get some kind of "Trainer bonus" for having to continue to keep teaching them to play for over a year and a half?

A better question might be "why are they even playing at that level in the first place, they barely know the game?" That one's easy to answer. They say new players are given an Elo that's so low, they can't play in general population until after their first 25 matches. I can't verify one way or the other but sometimes it really feels like some of these people just downloaded the game. PGI has no plan to develop any sort of "new player experience" (ie: tutorials, walk throughs, etc) until way after CW. Even though I agree CW is the most important thing, you have to keep in mind that it's YEARS behind schedule.

The other problem is that after their first 25 matches, they are GIVEN an Elo score that places them directly in the mid range. Not earned, given. That means that it doesn't matter if they learned anything during the first 25 or not, they're going to end up in general pop anyway. And movement up and down the scale is so freaking slow....it takes forever for them to filter to the bottom. As if there actually is a bottom. The Matchmaker is given such a HUGE spread to pick players from, depending on the server population, you end up with them on your team anyway.

I'm done being nice to them. I'm done trying to teach them. Every match I remind them that shooting their teammates heals them and that the red smoke gives temporary godmode. I figure they must have learned what they need to learn to be in the same Elo range as I am. One of two things is going to happen....either they're going to lose so much that their Elo drops them back into the same range as the guys in the first 25 again or my Elo will tank enough so I can be in the "needs to be carried" pool. I can live with it.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 19 November 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

Yes but if you are deriding me while you are dead and I am alive is the poster child of:

LOL. So? The way I figure it, if you suck so bad that you're in my Elo range, you kinda deserve to deal with me while I'm venting frustration. I still play with new guys or people just out of the first 25 so, apparently I'm not ever going to get any better than this. I've been playing with them for a year and a half now.

#58 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:41 PM

Do remember that damage numbers aren't everything and don't tell the story. Sometimes a Light or Medium doesn't play badly, just makes a bad call in the moment, is where they shouldn't be for a moment and loses an ST/Leg.

Other times it's the Assault Lance getting the far spawn and their entire team moves away from them, leaving their slow rears to get picked apart and overwhelmed by the opposing force.

In the former I silently berate myself for a bad call. In the latter I have on occasion vocally berated my team for it.

#59 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

View PostSuckyJack, on 19 November 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

Do remember that damage numbers aren't everything and don't tell the story. Sometimes a Light or Medium doesn't play badly, just makes a bad call in the moment, is where they shouldn't be for a moment and loses an ST/Leg.

Other times it's the Assault Lance getting the far spawn and their entire team moves away from them, leaving their slow rears to get picked apart and overwhelmed by the opposing force.

In the former I silently berate myself for a bad call. In the latter I have on occasion vocally berated my team for it.

And everyone makes mistakes.

Plus, there's no way to know who's going to be on your team and what kind of build they're going to use, so sometimes your build is just repetition of something your "team" already has 7 of. Again, that happens.

In the Solo Queue, all you can do is try to make something that's relatively survivable and helps your side as much as possible. You can pretty much take the "lemming charge" to the red triangle for granted, most of your team is going to swarm to the first red triangle they see. Unfortunately, the other team tends to have lots and lots of ECM (more now that the Mist Lynx is out...it's gonna be a while before they start to die out) and your team just doesn't seem able to cut through it.

It is what it is man. A lot of players out there still don't know that BAP/CAP was extended to 360m, twice that of the ECM in the first place. They also don't understand that it's most important function is to cut through ECM, not provide bonuses for LRMs. A lot of them can't, or won't, give up the tonnage and space...they just hope that they'll get put on a team that covers down for them.

#60 LORD TSARKON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 776 posts
  • LocationButtmunch City

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:53 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 19 November 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

Remember kids: The more you blame the team, the bigger your penis is!

Haha True.....

I do complain when I"m playing a slow Assault Mech and the Matchmaker derps for some reason and puts 3 Lights in my Lance and they all ditch my slow asss.... and then I die because enemy LAnce showed up... I warned and begged my team.... but still died...

I was more mad at the match maker though than my team however

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users