Pgi Please Think About This Before You Launch The Next Challenge...

Gameplay

15 replies to this topic

#1 Violent Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • 335 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:35 PM

Dear PGI when you set out incentives and rules for challenges, please be mindful that the kind of challenge we say this week encourages [redacted] awful play, teamkilling, kill-stealing, premature shut downs, hiding etc etc...

Not cool.

Edited by Mal, 23 November 2014 - 05:30 PM.
Bypassing the word filter is bad... mmkay?

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:04 PM

Yet, I haven't seen any of that behaviour.
Well, aside from the regular awful play.

#3 R Razor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:07 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 23 November 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

Yet, I haven't seen any of that behaviour.
Well, aside from the regular awful play.

I've not seen much team killing but I have seen an abhorrent amount of rushing in to get that much needed kill and many many instances of "I've got my kill so I'm going to hide in a corner now" behavior as well.

There is much room for improvement in this challenge but as long as the game caters to the class of gamer that it does, you'll likely never see said improvement.

#4 Johnny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

Yeah give it some consideration PGI, and then make it the go to format for all future tournaments.

Because it is bloody brilliant!

Best matches and teamplay ever!

#5 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:27 PM

Now that we have the "kill most damage dealt" statistic, shouldn't PGI be using that for tournaments instead of just kills? Who gets the kill means nothing when two or three are firing on the same target.

That said, the survive requirement is awful. There's no point in winning the round if you don't survive, so you see people fall back too early and essentially "grasp defeat from the jaws of victory".

It applies to both sides I guess so it's somewhat fair. But solving "stomps" with a challenge that encourages the winning team to fall back too early and lose doesn't actually solve anything.

#6 Lunatic_Asylum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 600 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:58 PM

The challenge was perfect, and hiding not to die instead of rushing in to die is a natural reaction of any fighter or warrior.

#7 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:05 PM

truthfully i still have to earn my first point, ive had horrible luck all weekend, all of my games have ether
i get a kill then ended up dieing at the end, or won and survived with 8-10 assists but no kills,

personally i play a support, thats my style of play, i really dont get kills, assists ya i get those allot,
the problem is that more times then not in this event people have gotten 1 kill then retreated and hid,
ive tried Lights/Mediums/Heavys/Assaults, LRM-boats/High-Alpha-Energy-Boats/Balistic-Boats,

im trying and ill keep trying, but this is the first MWO Event where ive played all weekend,
and have yet to get a single point to the reward, and its irritating me as im sure others as well,

#8 Lunatic_Asylum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 600 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:12 PM

No, it is not irritating to any degree. Challenges are not meant to be finished by every last player. It has been fun and entertaining!

#9 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:59 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 23 November 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

truthfully i still have to earn my first point, ive had horrible luck all weekend, all of my games have ether
i get a kill then ended up dieing at the end, or won and survived with 8-10 assists but no kills,

personally i play a support, thats my style of play, i really dont get kills, assists ya i get those allot,
the problem is that more times then not in this event people have gotten 1 kill then retreated and hid,
ive tried Lights/Mediums/Heavys/Assaults, LRM-boats/High-Alpha-Energy-Boats/Balistic-Boats,

im trying and ill keep trying, but this is the first MWO Event where ive played all weekend,
and have yet to get a single point to the reward, and its irritating me as im sure others as well,

Try a change of pace.

Stormcrow. 20 DHS. 6 MPL. Range 5 module, Radar Dep module, TargComp mk1.

Stay near the group, find targets, identify weak points, blast them with 48 points of Wub. You can do 2 alphas back to back before needing to mind the heat. Hit and run. Strike fast, avoid counter fire. Once you've taken heavy damage (at least all frontal armor gone) and have at least one kill, start taking it easy and play more defensively, but still try to help the team as much as you can. Those 6 MPL are still damn important and effective.

You'll have at least one point in no time.

#10 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:23 PM

View Postlunticasylum, on 23 November 2014 - 07:12 PM, said:

No, it is not irritating to any degree. Challenges are not meant to be finished by every last player. It has been fun and entertaining!

playing for over 200+ matches and 34+ hours and not getting a point i would call irritating,
its not that the challenge is hard, that would be ok, its that for some its imposable to get points,
i would rather have an event where i need to get 60 hard to get points,
then an event where i need to get 20 near imposable,

now i know this event is easier for some, people who play and are familiar with certain roles,
personally i play as a support, aiding in damage, i get lots of Assists but rarely get kills,
and when i do get kills its usually in a blaze of glory, glory being golden fiery death,

#11 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:26 PM

View Postlunticasylum, on 23 November 2014 - 07:12 PM, said:

Are you Johnny's clone or something?

Just because it didn't irritate you, doesn't mean it didn't irritate others... Jesus, what's with this recent mentality of "well I liked it, so anyone who didn't is just wrong"??

Is it that hard to understand that the majority of players may likely prefer a format that rewards skill, such as using the in-game reward system, rather than just a long grind and luck such as many of these events have become? We aren't hating on this to hate....some people didn't enjoy it, they expressed their opinions, and the other side comes in with "well I liked it, it must be perfect!"

Is this a grade-school debate?

#12 Mech79

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 152 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:33 PM

You know what I see a company that is giving away a mech a player would normally have to buy. Instead of making it easier then hell to get it they make a challenge that takes time to get. Yes it ensues people to play like crap, but I think it does the job they are trying for. That means more people spending more time on their game which brings in more money for them. Instead of saying thanks all people do is complain about how hard it is to complete. I work weekends and get half the time most people do, but I don't complain the tourney is to short. Come on people say thank you for giving away something that normally cost money to get.

Edited by Mech79, 23 November 2014 - 08:34 PM.

#13 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:34 PM

I had a game with a really arrogant *****, claiming he did all the work...

Other than that, no sign of team killing.

#14 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:44 PM

View PostJohnny Slam, on 23 November 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

Yeah give it some consideration PGI, and then make it the go to format for all future tournaments.

Because it is bloody brilliant!

Best matches and teamplay ever!

0/10 troll try harder

#15 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostMech79, on 23 November 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

You know what I see a company that is giving away a mech a player would normally have to buy. Instead of making it easier then hell to get it they make a challenge that takes time to get. Yes it ensues people to play like crap, but I think it does the job they are trying for. That means more people spending more time on their game which brings in more money for them. Instead of saying thanks all people do is complain about how hard it is to complete. I work weekends and get half the time most people do, but I don't complain the tourney is to short. Come on people say thank you for giving away something that normally cost money to get.

They aren't "giving" you anything. It's pixels, and as you stated, you earn it the hard way. The reason they do these events is not to give us free stuff, but to collect data from the matches, to be used in balancing future features such as CW. We all know this. They aren't doing it out of charity, it's just business.

And I say thanks every time I open up my wallet, and will continue to do so, so how about you don't tell people not to express their opinions, which is in fact what these forums are for?

Does no one get that people who complain about people complaining only compounds the original issue, and that these people are even more at fault?

Who's the bigger fool, the fool, or the fool who follows him? Same concept, who's whining more, the people who want to see a positive change, or the people complaining about the people wanting to see a change? And which whining is less useful?

Don't answer that, it was rhetorical, and if you don't know the answer, you're part of the problem.

#16 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

I didn't observe team-killing; maybe a few shots, getting in the way, blocking people off, really defensive self-preservation, and a hell of a lot of 12-guys-up-the-same-damn-road maeuvering...but otherwise, everything seemed to be okay.

Edited by Commander A9, 23 November 2014 - 08:46 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users