• HBK-GI "Grid Iron" Hero Mech
  • HBK-4P(C) Champion Mech
  • HBK-4SP
Additional goodies:
  • Hunchback cockpit statue
  • 30 days of premium time
  • 3 Mech Bays
Price: 5575 MC (approximately $25)

The Hunchback has long been a favorite suggestion for a beginner's Mech. With it's reasonable agility, a wide variety of possible loadouts, the ability to fit big cannons on several variants and the need to protect the hunch the Hunchies are great teachers for new players and still pretty powerful in experienced hands.
  • The HBK-GI "Grid Iron" is basically a rapid-fire Gauss Rifle on legs. It's defining features are the +25% cooldown bonus for ballistics and another +25% for Gauss Rifles, which is among the biggest quirks any mech got. While still useful when packing an AC20 anyone who buys the Grid Iron should seriously consider trying the Gauss at least once. Your sole presence on the battlefield makes everyone gun for your hunch though, and as soon as that armor is gone, so is the Gauss and sometimes the rest of you too. Medium Lasers or Medium Pulse Lasers make great backups. Make sure to bring enough ammo and you might want to get rid of the XL engine.
  • The HBK-4P is the dedicated energy boat variant. It features a grand total of nine energy hardpoints, six of which are located in the hunch. The pod space on a 50-tonner is quite limited but it can easily boat tons of smaller lasers or a couple of big ones. It is the Champion mech of the bundle and the stock loadout is really, really good and can be used out of the box. Slap a couple of consumables on and maybe a few modules if you have them and ride off. The -4P(C) works great without further modifications.
  • The HBK-4SP is the SRM-brawler Hunchie. You do not have a hunch on this version but rather two missile launchers located in the shoulders. It is quite heavily quirked for brawling, with a +40% SRM-6 cooldown reduction (+20% generic missile) and -20% medium laser heat generation. That said - brawling in a somewhat lightly armored medium mech without jump jets is always gonna be a risky undertaking, so you'll need to be very careful on where to go and when to engage. XL-engines should be a complete no-go, as those side torsos pop quite easily despite the additional armor quirks and the stumpy Hunchback arms do not shield particularly well.
Sadly neither of the versions you get in the Mastery Bundle is designed for Autocannon gameplay (-4H and especially -4G are the way to go here). The Grid Iron can do it if you find that you completely dislike Gauss Rifles, but in my personal opinion that would be a waste of one of the best Gauss snipers there is. On the other hand the Gauss-Grid Iron and the -4P(C) work very well, are cheap to equip and are a lot of fun. I can recommend the Hunchback Mastery bundle.

#22 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:03 PM

Updated OP, with adjustments for recent Champion variants, early-access Mech Packs, and added/updated notes

* Tweaked thread title to Mastery Bundle/Mastery Pack Listing -- Reviews Welcome
* Added JM6 and WVR Champions
* Updated WVR entry under "What the remaining chassis need ..."
* Edits for initial text note under "What the remaining chassis need ..."
* Added JM6 to "Chassis that could have a pack, but don't. Yet."
* Added note regarding Gift-Store-only-access variants to "Chassis that could have a pack, but don't. Yet."
* Updated Griffin entry under "Chassis that could have a pack, but don't. Yet."
* Added section under "What the remaining chassis need ..." for chassis in early-access Mech Packs which are still pre MC release
* Miscellaneous formatting fixes
* Edited "On Updates and Reviews"
* Added note on "How do they pick which one to use as the base variant for the Champion?"

Happy Mekkin' B)

#23 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:24 PM

Updated:

I added 4 new Mastery Pack/Bundles, for the Trebuchet, Griffin, Jagermech, and Banshee.

I also Shuffled the "What the Remaining Chassis Need ..." list, and moved my note on ClanTech under a spoiler of its own. (Spoiler-Spoiler: When ClanTech has Champs and Hero variants, I'll worry about it.)

I'm wondering if Wolvie or 'Bolt is the next chassis up for a Hero variant. Both at the same time maybe? :D

Or will we get a surprise Champion (C) variant? Locust? Commando? Vindy? Battlemaster? Or, perhaps, King Crab Champion and Hero?! :o [/hype]

Edited by Virlutris, 21 June 2015 - 05:24 PM.

#24 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:32 PM

View PostVirlutris, on 21 June 2015 - 05:24 PM, said:

I'm wondering if Wolvie or 'Bolt is the next chassis up for a Hero variant. Both at the same time maybe? :D

Both. Check Russ's monthly update. I think it's in there. It was mentioned in the town hall too.

#25 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:58 PM

Shuffled the lists, after the addition of the WVR and TDR Heroes in this week's patch.

Also added a note and link on Champion Pricing, which I may elect to expand/revise later.

#26 vettie

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:57 AM

I have thought all along, AFTER trying the trial mechs, that the mastery Packs were a great way to get new Players into the game.

They give all you need, 3 variants of a chassis, 3 mech bays for them, 30 days of prem time to level them up and some include a nik nak for your fav variant to proudly display on your dashboard.

I have been involved in this game since closed beta and still find them a bargain. recently bought the Black Jack Pack and had a ball with them.

Thanks to the OP for this post and to others who have also added valued input.

I stand by my recommendation, Mastery Packs are a decent deal.

#27 Alianton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:43 PM

the only downside imo is that the 30 days of premium time is started straight away and not banked.

#28 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:53 AM

View PostAlianton, on 12 July 2015 - 11:43 PM, said:

the only downside imo is that the 30 days of premium time is started straight away and not banked.

Not debating the merits of that (ed: it would be nice, IMO) but for clarity I want to check:

IIRC, the only Premium Time that gets banked is for pre-order mech packs. Everything else (so far as I can tell) is immediately activated, be it an event reward injection or an in-client "Store" tab purchase. Am I accurate there?

Would you generally like to see all Premium Time banked to start, just as a general rule?

Edit: clarity

Edited by Virlutris, 14 July 2015 - 11:05 AM.

#29 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:28 AM

View PostVirlutris, on 14 July 2015 - 10:53 AM, said:

Not debating the merits of that (ed: it would be nice, IMO) but for clarity I want to check:

IIRC, the only Premium Time that gets banked is for pre-order mech packs. Everything else (so far as I can tell) is immediately activated, be it an event reward injection or an in-client "Store" tab purchase. Am I accurate there?

Would you generally like to see all Premium Time banked to start, just as a general rule?

Edit: clarity

I think you have it right. I think banked is always preferable and think most people would too (nevermind that I run it constantly for over a year now)

#30 Daidachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 461 posts
  • LocationThe Andromeda Initiative

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:47 AM

Founders premium time is also banked. Having only started playing a few weeks ago after buying a legendary founders pack, I can attest to this. :)

#31 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

View PostDaidachi, on 22 July 2015 - 02:47 AM, said:

Founders premium time is also banked. Having only started playing a few weeks ago after buying a legendary founders pack, I can attest to this. :)

Right, I forgot that one, thanks!

And welcome back, Sir: <Salutes> "Founder on Deck!"

Edited by Virlutris, 22 July 2015 - 07:08 PM.

#32 Daidachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 461 posts
  • LocationThe Andromeda Initiative

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:58 AM

It's been enjoyable so far. having just mastered my first chassis this morning, looking forward to being a tad more useful!

Edit: Also, premium time from mech pre orders (wave 3 for me) remains banked even while founders premium time is active - just checked when my mechs arrived the other morning.

Edited by Daidachi, 24 July 2015 - 06:00 AM.

#33 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:28 PM

with the new champion mechs and their change in price will there be a change in price on the mastery packs?

#34 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:08 AM

Thank you for this post. I think a mastery pack is a good deal if you are a new player who has found a chassis you like and are motivated to learn more. I like the Catapult very much because the pack is a mix of direct fire and missile platforms, and if you own the C1 already...my intro to Cat goodness...it gives you a very versatile group to learn with.

#35 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:54 PM

View PostGreyhart, on 03 August 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

with the new champion mechs and their change in price will there be a change in price on the mastery packs?

Whoops, been infrequently on the forums due to summer schedule, sorry for delay.

Only PGI could say regarding the price, really. Now, bear in mind that the Champs' prices aren't historically set based on the price of the stuff on the Champ itself. I have a note on it in the OP. Terciel1976 explained it for me :)

Those prices are based on an adjustment to the base MC price of the stock base variant. The champ CTF-3D(C) costs 25% more than the regular, stock version despite the fact that the Champ actually has a standard engine while the base variant has an XL.

You're paying for the XP bonus mostly, though sometimes there's an equipment improvement. Sometimes, not so much.

Edit, confirmed: No change to pricing of Champs. Still a percentage increase to price, based on the stock price of the stock, base variant. It's in the OP, under the note on "Chassis and Variants, Including Champs and Heroes." :)

Edited by Virlutris, 17 August 2015 - 08:16 PM.

#36 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:45 AM

Holy surprise bonus-and-sale double-posts Batman!

http://mwomercs.com/...action-patterns

#37 Breender

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:32 PM

View PostVirlutris, on 21 August 2015 - 06:45 AM, said:

Holy surprise bonus-and-sale double-posts Batman!

http://mwomercs.com/...action-patterns

Too bad I am still at work and will miss this great offer.

Anyway, can someone also give me some advices for the Atlas pack? I would like to compare it with the stalker pack. Thank you!

#38 R1M10

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 19 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:56 AM

I missed it :( how often this sales come out? anyone knows? definitely looking for it

#39 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:15 AM

View PostR1M10, on 30 August 2015 - 01:56 AM, said:

I missed it :( how often this sales come out? anyone knows? definitely looking for it

Mastery bundles are always available but never go on sale (basically a 50% sale on the contents though most players would be unlikely to buy all the contents with MC otherwise)

#40 R1M10

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 19 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:49 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 30 August 2015 - 03:15 AM, said:

Mastery bundles are always available but never go on sale (basically a 50% sale on the contents though most players would be unlikely to buy all the contents with MC otherwise)

Yep :) in fact I meant that they give you 30 extra Premium days... not real sale. Is it something usual ? I am looking to buy a pack and might prefer to wait for double premium time.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users