• 3,519 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 28 November 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

When you see green mech, that actually means, that this is:
1) Newbie
2) New mech
3) Trial mech
4) Player, who don't care about this game
5) Player, who can't afford 0.56$ to buy single-time camo and 3$ to buy some colors (i.e. child?)

In all cases you know, that this player will most likely underperform. And, therefore, when you see, that the whole your team looks like this and when you're losing again, again and again due to this - then something is definitely wrong with MM.

You forgot #6;

Player not foolish enough to pay PGI for a color as if they invented it.

#82 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:38 PM

I say manservant isn't this topic most entertaining.

#83 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:38 PM

View PostKevjack, on 28 November 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

I honestly think people are fooling themselves, if they believe the default camo makes them less of a target. Even below average players target by threat level and opportunity, and not the brightness of a player's paint scheme..

Yeah. Excuses of "green" people are great, but if somebody think, that other players are picking targets according to camos, then he is doing the same by himself most likely. Law of self-projection and self-reflection in action. May be it will be surprise for you, but I personally have never picked targets according to their camos - I always pick best target available and I don't even have time to actually notice the camos of my enemies (especially when thermal or night vision are active, lol). I had never thought about it, before you've told me. So... This just proves my point. Only noobs are picking targets according to camos and if you think, that other players doing it, then there is a big chance, that you're doing it too. At least unconsciously. Conclusion?

Edited by MrMadguy, 28 November 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#84 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:07 PM

View PostBrody319, on 28 November 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

2 Whale standing side by side. 1 Gold and 1 default colors. Both are primes. How do you tell which one is the newer guy in the trial whale, and which one actually plays the game a decent amount?

2 stalkers, one is white, the other is black. You are in a side area of Terra Therma, both are not moving at the moment. which one do you notice first?

2 Atlases, 1 painted with a skeleton pattern, bright red, and neon blue colors. the other is a default green. both equal distance, same loadout. which one do you assume is more skilled and thus more of a threat to you?

I don't assume anything based on camo alone. I attack the one closer to my optimal range, I attack the more damaged, I attack the one my teammates are shooting, or i GTFO because there are two assault mechs staring at me.

p.s. - there are terrible players in the bright colors too

View PostMrMadguy, on 28 November 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

Yeah. Excuses of "green" people are great, but if somebody think, that other players are picking targets according to camos, then he is doing the same by himself most likely. Law of self-projection and self-reflection in action. May be it will be surprise for you, but I personally have never picked targets according to their camos - I always pick best target available and I don't even have time to actually notice the camos of my enemies (especially when thermal or night vision are active, lol). I had never thought about it, before you've told me. So... This just proves my point. Only noobs are picking targets according to camos and if you think, that other players doing it, then there is a big chance, that you're doing it too. At least unconsciously. Conclusion?

I'm with you 100% man. This is madness.

#85 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

View PostKevjack, on 28 November 2014 - 09:07 PM, said:

I don't assume anything based on camo alone. I attack the one closer to my optimal range, I attack the more damaged, I attack the one my teammates are shooting, or i GTFO because there are two assault mechs staring at me.

p.s. - there are terrible players in the bright colors too

I'm with you 100% man. This is madness.

Its not that you target the more colorful mechs first because they must be more dangerous, you target them because they are super easy to notice, thus making it very likely for your eye to be drawn to them. take a flat grey background, fill it with splotches with grey paint, then just put a big smear of neon red. You tell me what sticks out.

If the maps were more vibrant colors the paint really wouldn't matter but seeing how we got shades of brown, green, white, and black for our map pallet, anything not in those colors on those specific maps stands out like a sore thumb.

#86 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:17 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 28 November 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

When you see green mech, that actually means, that this is:
1) Newbie
2) New mech
3) Trial mech
4) Player, who don't care about this game
5) Player, who can't afford 0.56$ to buy single-time camo and 3$ to buy some colors (i.e. child?)

In all cases you know, that this player will most likely underperform. And, therefore, when you see, that the whole your team looks like this and when you're losing again, again and again due to this - then something is definitely wrong with MM.

Couple problems with your post. Why would a "new mech" be green? By your logic, a good player would paint it while he was in the mechlab.

Next, "doesn't care about the game". So does that mean the red ones go faster? Please, expound upon your theory that colors affect performance and a player can't enjoy this game and be decent at it without spending money?

Next "can't afford". How about doesn't think it's worth it? I enjoy playing mech dressup as much as the next guy, but I just don't see the point in spending cash on it at this point. I do have a child in private school which puts a damper on things.

BTW, spending money on colors when you don't have a serious financial backup in place is the definition of "bad luck". IE it's BS, as "good luck" is having plenty of savings etc.

So finally, just because you do something, doesn't mean it is The Way To Do Things.

BTW, I have the colors I need for my unit color scheme. But sometimes I run Basic Green just so people like you will assume I am a scrub and either shoot at me (great for when I am trying to get people to chase the squirrel) or ignore me while brawling.

#87 Walluh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 682 posts
  • LocationLovingly stroking my Crab Waifu

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:29 PM

PSA:One shot camos are dirt cheap.

#88 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:33 PM

OP fails at basic logic:
New players use green mechs =! All green mechs are driven by new players

But continue, if it want. This kind of digital game mech paintjob racism is pretty amusing.

#89 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:48 PM

View PostBrody319, on 28 November 2014 - 09:11 PM, said:

Its not that you target the more colorful mechs first because they must be more dangerous, you target them because they are super easy to notice, thus making it very likely for your eye to be drawn to them. take a flat grey background, fill it with splotches with grey paint, then just put a big smear of neon red. You tell me what sticks out.

If the maps were more vibrant colors the paint really wouldn't matter but seeing how we got shades of brown, green, white, and black for our map pallet, anything not in those colors on those specific maps stands out like a sore thumb.
which is a great theory except the draw distances on color are so short that everything is grey until you're so close it makes no difference at all. Not to mention how the color filter on a lot of maps make all the mechs look the same even when you are up close

#90 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:56 PM

Further, its all dependant on players firing at the shiniest target when they stumble upon them at very close ranges... And not taking the time to check over the potential targets for damage or anything else - snap shots, essentially. I'd argue that 9 times in 10, snap shots will be taken at the most available target, that is, the one you can draw a bead on fastest, not the shiniest option as at color viewing distances, you're waaaay to close to be unable to classify targets by threat.

#91 Rick Rawlings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:31 PM

View PostMajor Tryhard, on 28 November 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

The only p2w color that you need to buy is red, since it makes all mechs go faster. The brighter it is the faster it goes, so you need to go for something premium like ox blood.

While this is true, don't forget that it will cause your Mech insurance premiums to go through the roof...With the Spaceconomy being what it is, you have to keep these things in mind...

#92 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:36 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 28 November 2014 - 09:48 PM, said:

which is a great theory except the draw distances on color are so short that everything is grey until you're so close it makes no difference at all. Not to mention how the color filter on a lot of maps make all the mechs look the same even when you are up close

View PostWintersdark, on 28 November 2014 - 09:56 PM, said:

Further, its all dependant on players firing at the shiniest target when they stumble upon them at very close ranges... And not taking the time to check over the potential targets for damage or anything else - snap shots, essentially. I'd argue that 9 times in 10, snap shots will be taken at the most available target, that is, the one you can draw a bead on fastest, not the shiniest option as at color viewing distances, you're waaaay to close to be unable to classify targets by threat.

I am just pointing out that when it comes to paint, they can, and I've observed, do make you a bigger target, especially when it comes to heros since they have a very distinct color and pattern. Also this whole topic was discussing the fact that OP thinks that you can judge skill based on camo which you cannot.

#93 Rick Rawlings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:39 PM

View PostCavale, on 28 November 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

I dunno, bright Orange Stalker draws more fire than the Dire beside it in olive.

I have to say, I spend so much of the game in thermal, I wouldn't notice either way...

#94 Mazikar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:50 PM

everyone knows you can unlock colors from c-bills right?... its not expensive at all.

#95 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 28 November 2014 - 09:48 PM, said:

View PostHillslam, on 28 November 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

The level of stupid in this thread is epic.

1 - The renderer draws ALL mechs in this game grey past ~100m.
ALL MECHS, ALL COLORS. Red green blue orange white fuscia mauve lime lemon brown pink cyan purple pokka dot... -> GREY

2 - See #1 (don't believe me, go try it for yourself. all colors transition to grey as you open the distance)

3 - Paint your mech whatever the heck color you want because IT WON'T MATTER in game. If you think it does you need to spend more time improving your driving and shooting, because your suckage has been noted by the OP.
Oh, really?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

View PostMajor Tryhard, on 28 November 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

The only p2w color that you need to buy is red, since it makes all mechs go faster. The brighter it is the faster it goes, so you need to go for something premium like ox blood.
Yeah, but one of the nicer reds is free, so it's still OK.

View PostSatan n stuff, on 28 November 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

I blur out my loadouts if I don't want them known. Very thoroughly I might add, in case some smartass decides to try to reconstruct the image.
Ohman.

As pointed out, as soon as someone spots you in game (enemy lock, or friendly spectator), they know your loadout.

Plus in MrMadGuys case, it's a TDR-9SE.
I'm guessing it'll have Lasers and Missiles.
Possibly a Large and/or Medium Pulses.
Or maybe it has something crazy and different, and it's still a Thunderbolt.

#96 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:52 PM

I wonder if there's a pattern that'll make any 'mech look like it's wearing a two piece swimsuit. The BlackJack has some decent definitions to it that would make it work.

#97 Rossario x Vampire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationHybrid Mixbreed World ex Machine

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:16 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 28 November 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

"Green team": when you see this - you know, that you're screwed.
Posted Image

The real problem is that's.... U SUCK AT MWO D00D! ;)

#98 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostRazorbeastFXK3, on 29 November 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

I wonder if there's a pattern that'll make any 'mech look like it's wearing a two piece swimsuit. The BlackJack has some decent definitions to it that would make it work.

Blackjack has dem hips, but it also has dem love-handles...

...as in muffin-top love handles. Nopenopenopenopenope.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 29 November 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#99 Abaddun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:47 PM

Makes me dead chuffed to still have the PC gamer colour pack.

#100 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:59 PM

This is genius!

Why is PGI wasting resources on that "ELO" thingy when they could just have the matchmaker balance teams by the camo pricetag?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users