Api Stuff Will Be Worked On At A Slower Rate

7 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Cunningham

Senior Architect

• 159 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:58 PM

You may have noticed a title change recently.

Primarily this is because I have taken on all of the responsibilities of managing the datacenter and game network, post-IGP, which has left me with little time to work on the API.

As is, the stuff I do on the API and other past promises I have for features will be on lunch breaks or during voluntary overtime.

I apologize for that situation - I did want to get this stuff to a much higher standard of care, but tweaks and upgrades will unfortunately be coming on an as-I-am-able basis.

Thanks everyone who has offered new requests and reported bugs to me.

#2 Muzakman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 102 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:30 PM

Is there anything that I can do to help? What can the community do to help?

I don't think there's any disagreement on the potential business value that comes with a rich, well-maintained developer ecosystem, but what you're doing sounds like it's of much greater immediate value so it's good you're working on what's needed.

In any adversity, there's always an opportunity, and here could be the perfect example of that maxim. Maybe this is an opportunity for the community to contribute directly in a way that make it a win-win+ for everyone.

Where is the bulk of the effort expended working on the API - is it mapping data structures, writing queries, implementing service controllers, etc? I do this kind of thing (software arch/consulting) for a living, I'm happy to contribute advice.

Are there thins that can be crowdsourced to the community - (e.g., contrib features/fixes to the public-facing side of the business service interfaces via pull requests, integrative contract-driven test suites that prove the service contract...)?

I know that I appreciate the time and effort you've put into this, and I understand the constraints put upon you by more pressing priorities - cheers!

#3 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:49 PM

View PostJon Cunningham, on 01 December 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

You may have noticed a title change recently.

Primarily this is because I have taken on all of the responsibilities of managing the datacenter and game network, post-IGP, which has left me with little time to work on the API.

As is, the stuff I do on the API and other past promises I have for features will be on lunch breaks or during voluntary overtime.

I apologize for that situation - I did want to get this stuff to a much higher standard of care, but tweaks and upgrades will unfortunately be coming on an as-I-am-able basis.

Thanks everyone who has offered new requests and reported bugs to me.

I'll put the offer out to help however possible. You've a big job on your hands; If there's something the community can do to foster the development of APIs for this game, I think you'll find a number of us willing to jump in and help out to save you some sanity/time.

#4 Night Fury76

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:51 PM

"As is, the stuff I do on the API and other past promises I have for features will be on lunch breaks or during voluntary overtime."

Bloody Hell Mate, Thanks very nice of you.

I can only hope things pick up at the PGI end so you can be paid to "VALUE ADD" to the business.

Good Luck and take care man.
Cheers

#5 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:34 AM

Can we buy you lunch then? Some sort of desk and keyboard safe meal to keep you chain...err...working during that unproductive time? ;)

Seriously though, this would be a great thing to outsource to the community. I know spinning up a project to set up the infrastructure necessary to do this isn't trivial in both time and resources, but the payoff can be significant relative to the costs involved. I know, I know, after CW... APIs make the world go round!

#6 Escobar

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAdana, Turkey

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

With offers to help coming in, and I would add mine as well, I was wondering how such help could be accomplished?

So much of any product is understandably closed off as an asset to the creator, and I wouldnt want to discount that value even for something basic like a data model, but if (and thats a massive 'if') a data model was published, The Community could assist with API development.

In a perfect world, armed with only a data model and guidance on the PGI approved stack (PHP, MySQL, Other) The Community would have the ability to develop APIs that The Community would find useful. I assume that no decisions have been made yet on API app tokens and such, but if there has been it could be accounted for even its just in the design stage. Any development could be submitted back for review for performance, security, and alignment with PGIs vision of what it wants to be made API available - and could be useful in jump-starting internal development.

Otherwise, Ill just go back to playing and look forward to picking up the subject again another year.

#7 Prophet Roshak

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 64 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:52 AM

I'll sign under this topic. If any help on developing API is possible, I would like to contribute my time on it.

#8 SoggyGorilla

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 194 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:32 PM

I'm no expert with game coding but I can offer my time. I'm an expert engineer with datacenter storage and cloud computing. Let me know if I can help with anything.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users