Apologise For Friendly Fire

50 replies to this topic

#21 Piney II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:11 AM

TK'ed a light last night that ran in front of me just as I was unloading an AC20.

My apologies.............and I did apologize in match.

#22 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:27 AM

I've been in a true brawling mayhem in Crimson Straights. Somehow our teams collided and got completely mixed up. I was chasing a Shad clockwise around a building in my slower Awesome, when all of a sudden it comes back around! I unloaded a full alpha, coring his CT, when all of a sudden I notice the blue dorite above him. He was the same basic green as the red team's Shadowhawk too.

I apologized immediately and then anounced on chat I would be his meat shield as pennance. He was a bit "lol, ok", but I the rest of the match I was his big buddy in front, helping to shield his CT and drawing enemy fire. When I finally went down in flames I actually got a "Thx Snaga". He even survived the match (which we won btw). :)

#23 Apocryph0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 325 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:30 AM

There's different sorts of FF. If I shoot a baddie that is circling around with a friendly and hit him accidentally: yeah, Sry for that.

If I sit at a corner, unleashing massive streams of Lasers and a hail of UAC dakka and some moron decides to step into my arc of fire that was clearly visible before he decided to move and dies, well, he's the idiot, not me :D

Ed:

and yes, as a Light Pilot you really have to step up your game when it comes to matrix-like PPC and AC20 dodgin skills. It's not very rewarding when you guard your assaults and have to dodge their attempts to hit the other light you are chasing unless you want to get 1 shot xD

Edited by Apocryph0n, 08 December 2014 - 06:33 AM.

#24 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:34 AM

I got TK'd by a flamer a few hours ago in the last couple seconds of a match...

... I was in a Firestarter.

/hilarity
/irony

#25 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:06 PM

View PostTarogato, on 04 December 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

I've been noticing a lot of friendly fire lately - it's no coincidence you made this thread.

(Cicada is a light, get over it. :P )

Came across you on viridian bog tonight in your banshee no hard feelings for the ac20 and srm rounds i gave you last night eh? Oh thats right you were on the red team no problem at all then. ;-)
Lol.Posted Image

Edited by mad kat, 08 December 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#26 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:15 PM

in the heat of a fight I will USUALLY let it go... on start up with no apology... I'll Alpha them back.

If they get heated and nasty and start calling me a B#tch, I'll headshot them. Problem goes away after that.

I'll be hated and flamed for this but thats currently what works for me.

On 49 legitimate headshots and about 10 team mates heads on top of that.

Edited by Keira RAVEN McKenna, 08 December 2014 - 02:19 PM.

#27 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

I had an interesting altercation earlier today... recon reported a DWF TBR ADR trio moving to flank our rear formation, so I was in the archway (Forest Colony), I turned 180° to prepare to face them a friendly whale was in the way, as I tried to pass him, instead of moving to the side or turning around, he proceeded to backpedal down the center of the lane at whatever ungodly slow speed DWFs reverse at and I got so impatient I grazed a fraction of a medium laser in his face to give him a clue and he legs me in retaliation. I so wanted to alpha his rear CT as he tramped away. But I killed things with my one leg, so it was cool.

View Postmad kat, on 08 December 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

Came across you on viridian bog tonight in your banshee no hard feelings for the ac20 and srm rounds i gave you last night eh? Oh thats right you were on the red team no problem at all then. ;-)
I remember that match! My team was being pretty noncommittal and our scouts never figured out where your main force was, so I was just taking potshots at some peaking assaults and then WHOOSH I had two whole lances rush me from behind. It was terrifying.

#28 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:50 AM

View PostTarogato, on 08 December 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

I remember that match! My team was being pretty noncommittal and our scouts never figured out where your main force was, so I was just taking potshots at some peaking assaults and then WHOOSH I had two whole lances rush me from behind. It was terrifying.

We moved down the side of the map at first and our whole team ran of leaving our assaults behind i had to tell them twice for them to wait and let them catch up which they did. At which point i think the assualts must of gotten the attention of your team i know someone was certainly shooting me. It was then that the more mobile mechs myself included went around for a flank and hey presto.

Anyway i've gone off topic so i'll correct myself by apologizing to the jenner i clipped last night with an AC10 (did apologize in game) on a rather overcrowded firing line.

Edited by mad kat, 09 December 2014 - 01:01 AM.

#29 Blackloch

• PipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNexus, Finland

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:14 AM

I'm always ready to say sorry if I accidentally shoot someone during combat. But if you really want to try your weapon groups on my back in spawn, I'll be sure to return a favor. It just happens way too often - or when people alt tab back in game and shoot you. I know an accident, put getting greedy for a kill, trying to shoot through me... *sigh*

Or if there's a stationary mech, changing fire with enemy, how hard is it to go around your friends back? If you pass him from front side while getting some gauss love or lrms in back, then it's you call. I'm not sorry for that - it's just his own stupidity. -_-

#30 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:00 AM

View PostBlackloch, on 09 December 2014 - 01:14 AM, said:

alt tab back in game and shoot you.

I though using Alt-Tab to get back into the game specifically doesn't make you fire your weapons. It's only by clicking the program tab with your mouse that you also fire weapon group 1 (or whatever group/function you have assigned to the left mouse button).

#31 Blackloch

• PipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNexus, Finland

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:06 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 09 December 2014 - 02:00 AM, said:

I though using Alt-Tab to get back into the game specifically doesn't make you fire your weapons. It's only by clicking the program tab with your mouse that you also fire weapon group 1 (or whatever group/function you have assigned to the left mouse button).

Yup, that's right. But I don't think everyone knows that since they still keep doing it the 'wrong' way. :)

#32 GotDerp

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:42 PM

View PostDecoy3, on 04 December 2014 - 03:57 AM, said:

I'm generally not going to apologize for hitting someone that walks in front of me during a firefight.

People seem to spout "it's just a game" as justification and forget there are actual human beings sitting behind keyboards on the other end.

Will be using World of Tanks terms.

Ill be honest in a corner fight(aka Boxing, not to be confused with brawling) if I step out and have a shot and you shoot me in the back I may turn about face and alpha your grill.

Perhaps you don't understand the mechanics of spreading damage. While Boxing you are using your allies for Armor(WORLD OF TANKS BASICS = a heavier armored target absorbs damage or even negates damage; they have a bounce/no penetration system, for lighter armored or higher priority teammates), the environment for cover and you your self are shielding allies by presenting a more favorable target to your opponents or a less favorable target causing them to delay their shot while they pick a target.

Example: An Alpha, a Laser Vomit, and a Light are behind vertical cover(a building for example). Pinned down or holding a flank when the enemy harasser stays out of cover for too long and the Alpha steps out to punish them for their mistake. By doing so he presents a wall of steel for the enemy to aim at allowing the Laser Vomit and the Light to get LOS(line of sight) At the same time(and correct thinking) the Laser Vomit strafes out as well and erringly unloads their alpha in the Alphas rear or side. OOPS. Whose fault is this? Its a PUG. You pulled the trigger. You shot your ally, its your fault hands down. Accidents do happen but that's why they're called accidents.

It's polite and IMO expected to receive "sorry ff" ect. This tells the Alpha, "ok it was a friendly, tnx for the srry" and 2 "was I shot by a flanker? nope it was ff" This saves crucial time on the field by stopping the Alpha from having to check his hud for an enemy or making an about face to check if they were flanked by some pesky spider.

After all, if your that Laser Vomit or Light, would you rather present your squishy face to an enemy to get a shot off or have a allied WALL OF STEEL present theirs so you can make your shot in safety?

View PostDecoy3, on 04 December 2014 - 03:57 AM, said:

People seem to spout "it's just a game" as justification and forget there are actual human beings sitting behind keyboards on the other end.

Perhaps you forget that the mech you shot was doing their job by providing a squishy with shielding and was doing their job for the team AND is in fact, a human, sitting behind a keyboard.

In my 16 years of online gaming the only thing that holds true in any game is being friendly will help you more than being skilled.

Just post up "ff sry" and be done with it. 6 keys is all that's needed to keep a friendly team atmosphere. You could make a friend and laugh about it together in the next match. Lets be honest, some times its FUNNY AS F, *wub wub wub* OOPS I TOOK HIS BLOODY ARM OFF, TIS ONLY A FLESH WOUND.

Edited by GotDerp, 13 December 2014 - 07:21 PM.

#33 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:49 AM

Funny you should mention that ive seen "its only a flesh wound' before in a game. The next qoute is the "the black night always triumph's".

#34 Urdasein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:55 AM

FF happens to every one...

I did an AC40 shot in the back of an ally... An atlas brawling... :ph34r:

When the time was right , i apologized for that... The guy said something like: NP open red red CT is fine :D ...

What i can't accept is the players that test their heat firing lazors in your direction... There is no excuse for FF in that situation (aim the sky dammit). Usually, if i'm hit, i return a full alpha fire in a leg just to teach them how stupid they are.

Edited by loupgaroupoilu, 15 December 2014 - 06:58 AM.

#35 Arc Viper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:40 AM

I definitely apologize for any friendly fire I do outside the heat of combat, or especially when I get a team kill.

The worst match I ever had as a light is when I was on a ridge erppc sniping with my light when a friendly Direwhale comes up from behind me, gets blocked by me, and instantly fires all of his weapons, killing me instantly. He said I was "In the way". We lost that match.

Rude people make me angrier than anything else in the game. Even seeing angry comments flying back and forth is enough to put the whole team in danger for a loss.

#36 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:22 PM

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Q: Did they keep shooting you?

If the answer is "No," you just accepted their unspoken apology.

If the answer is "Yes," you know what to do.

#37 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:10 AM

. . . and some of the replies in this thread are why we can't have nice things.

"If you walk in front of me, you deserve the damage/your death!", "Apologize?! They should apologize to me for getting in the way of my huge Ego!"

You don't have to apologize for little accidents, but if you AC20 a friendly in the back, blow their components off or accidentally kill them, be a gentleman and say sorry. Most people will acknowledge the courtesy, admit that it was their fault anyway and move on. It just creates a positive environment.

#38 Ghoja

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:40 AM

About that beginning FF... yeah, no excuses for that. None. As for the mount points FF... that is inexperience, you should know where you're firing from on your mech. New mech, yeah, it happens... I have gotten hit by FF quite often... I do remember running in my ac/40 Jaeger once, had a raven melt a fair amount of rear torso from me, then proceed to start shooting other lancemate with lrms inside min range. Told him to knock off the FF, and he started doing it to me saying it doesn't do dmg. I put dual ac/20 rounds into his ct. First, he shot my back. Second, he didn't seem to think FF was a problem. Third he's wasting ammo. Then he whines about it... I felt no remorse other than it's pretty sad the team was now running with two less than par mechs.

Usually when I get hit with FF I do turn around and just look. Depending on the how bad it was. I almost never get apologies for FF. No matter what mech I'm in.

One thing I will say though, if you are testing... don't randomly fire into the sky (thus giving your position and those around you away), shoot the ground away from your team mates.

#39 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:44 AM

when ever I do say sorry they just go "yea, you will be sorry" and team kill me even if they walked in front of me in a fight and they got a split second of MG fire....

I stopped saying sorry, I stopped getting team killed.

Humanity isn't ready for the term sorry.

#40 salami

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:03 AM

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt just about every time. No apology necessary... I will work it out with my psychiatrist on Wednesday

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users