#41 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:28 AM

View PostDaelen Rottiger, on 09 December 2014 - 07:23 AM, said:

Doesn't have anything to do with the weird UAC5 quirk the 5N got - why give a mech that has a unique 3 ballistic weapon arm a quirk for a weapon that fits only 1 time. It's just a bad decision for the chassis - like the UAC5/MPL Grid Iron (lol).

Not at all. Nothing says you cannot still play 3xAC2 on the 5N. Nothing at all. If your entire build sheet is hinged around taking advantage of quirks and it is limiting your play experience, then thats a choice you've made for yourself.

Though I would like to point out that sized hardpoints could have avoided this situation all together. Put the quirk on the hardpoint instead of the weapon. The three basic hardpoint classes we have now are too generalised for this (but is still done to some degree) but to have a quirk on a small ballistic hardpoint could have satisfied the need for individuality....

#42 Shadow Magnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 429 posts
  • LocationLake Constance, Germany

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:52 AM

View Postcdlord, on 09 December 2014 - 07:28 AM, said:

Not at all. Nothing says you cannot still play 3xAC2 on the 5N. Nothing at all. If your entire build sheet is hinged around taking advantage of quirks and it is limiting your play experience, then thats a choice you've made for yourself.

Then why almost nobody played Dragons before the Quirkening? Why the Dragon was considered a bad tier mech? What was the reason that PGI gave it the initial quirks?

Following your logic PGI should entirely remove all quirks on all mechs, is that what are you saying? They don't matter at all and are only distracting people?

Of course you configure a build according to the hard points and other features of a mech, or not? I consider quirks just another feature as hard points. I try to use all hard points and all quirks.

The changes to the 1C and 5N doesn't make any sense at all. They are no simple "quirks were too powerful, tune down a bit". What I see is someone just thought "Oh, let's change some quirks of some random mechs to they more closely match the stock layout. Someone was complaining we don't boost stock builds enough." Which is strange and inconsistent, because for example on the K2 they actually listened to the people and added PPC quirks, even the Flame got more useful quirks - and there are many more mechs that have non-stock build quirks.

So what is your explanation for the quirk change of the 1C and 5N? I cannot see any logic in these specific changes.

#43 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:58 AM

View PostShadow Magnet, on 09 December 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

Then why almost nobody played Dragons before the Quirkening? Why the Dragon was considered a bad tier mech? What was the reason that PGI gave it the initial quirks?

Following your logic PGI should entirely remove all quirks on all mechs, is that what are you saying? They don't matter at all and are only distracting people?

Of course you configure a build according to the hard points and other features of a mech, or not? I consider quirks just another feature as hard points. I try to use all hard points and all quirks.

The changes to the 1C and 5N doesn't make any sense at all. They are no simple "quirks were too powerful, tune down a bit". What I see is someone just thought "Oh, let's change some quirks of some random mechs to they more closely match the stock layout. Someone was complaining we don't boost stock builds enough." Which is strange and inconsistent, because for example on the K2 they actually listened to the people and added PPC quirks, even the Flame got more useful quirks - and there are many more mechs that have non-stock build quirks.

So what is your explanation for the quirk change of the 1C and 5N? I cannot see any logic in these specific changes.

I'm one of those who support sized hardpoints (the bit you snipped out) or failing that, remove the mech lab all together. The level of customization we are allowed now is the bane to mech balance imho. Quite a few of my builds are stock or near stock, engines and FF/ES are my most common upgrades. This works for me. As you said earlier, what works for me isn't what works for you. Personal choices man. My entire beef with this is the proclamation to God and everybody that because X quirk doesn't align with y build, that the chassis is junk. Maybe nobody plays the Dragon because they come in here and assume you are right so they don't try it themselves? Junk this, DOA that, it's all nonsense.

#44 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,960 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:02 AM

We'll have to see how it plays out.

But we all know that odds are, dragon is going to get shoved aside for IS heavy bracket mechs just the same as they always have.

What does get my attention, is the Energy heat generation quirks for the Dragon lineup being removed.

Even though they were 10% less heat for energy, that was just enough in most cases to make the Dragon a little easier to use if you went with stronger energy builds.

#45 Mikros04

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostShadow Magnet, on 09 December 2014 - 02:57 AM, said:

Dragon 5N: AC2 -> UAC5, removed 25% energy heat gen quirks. How does PGI think we should run this mech? 1x UAC5, 2MPL or what? Seriously? A single UAC5 is utterly useless!

Dragon 1C: All energy heat gen quirks removed aswell - completely useless now, or do they really think you can get close up and brawl with it? It was just ok with 4x ER LL before...

Blindly aligning quirks to stock layout without putting any sense or logic into it...

This is just a sick joke, right? Can someone please wake me up from this bad dream? :(

Agreed. I bought the Dragon pack this weekend, I'm not yet sure if I regret it or not, the 5n changes make no sense to me. I don't mind the 1c changes too much, I played that one with an ac10 2lpl and 2ml. I'll have to see how it works now though without the reduced laser heat.

3 days ago I was really loving my purchase, I got 3 mechs that felt unique and were a lot of fun. Today I'm not so sure.

#46 CuriousCabbitBlue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 228 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:50 AM

View PostMikros04, on 09 December 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

Agreed. I bought the Dragon pack this weekend, I'm not yet sure if I regret it or not, the 5n changes make no sense to me. I don't mind the 1c changes too much, I played that one with an ac10 2lpl and 2ml. I'll have to see how it works now though without the reduced laser heat. 3 days ago I was really loving my purchase, I got 3 mechs that felt unique and were a lot of fun. Today I'm not so sure.

throw a uac5 an a regular ac5 in the 5n works fine

#47 Golden Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:07 AM

I take this to mean you IS players are in favor of the jump jets on the Timberwolf S side torsos getting unlocked?

:wub:

Edited by Golden Vulf, 30 December 2014 - 03:08 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users