- - - - -

What Is Happening When Getting A Missile Lock On An Unseen Target Is Very, Very Slow?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

Have you ever seen this? There is the normal speed, there are conditions that can make it faster (artemis, tag, narc), but sometimes it takes a loooooooooooong time even when you are having no trouble keeping your crosshair centered on the target.

I don't believe there is such a thing as partial ECM cover, is there? Is it that the spotter is only targeting him intermittently?

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:57 PM

Sometimes it is simply lag between you and the server - as it checks to see whether or not you CAN get a lock.
(IE: has he moved out of sight? has ECM cover happened?)

Tends to happen to me when trying to shoot at people with high pings. :unsure:

#3 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:18 PM

View PostFelio, on 10 December 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

Have you ever seen this? There is the normal speed, there are conditions that can make it faster (artemis, tag, narc), but sometimes it takes a loooooooooooong time even when you are having no trouble keeping your crosshair centered on the target.

I don't believe there is such a thing as partial ECM cover, is there? Is it that the spotter is only targeting him intermittently?

That's a good question. Even when you have your cross hairs on them eh? So it wouldn't be Radar Deprivation module because you have line of sight... When did this start happening to you? maybe a bug from the last patch?

#4 Commodore Perspicuous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:25 PM

I only notice this when I have poor connection for some reason, so I would guess it is lag-related.

#5 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,962 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:28 PM

Actually, that sounds like ECM coverage. If your spotter were targeting him intermittently, you would lose lock as soon as he did - your target decay doesn't apply unless you've locked directly. In certain cases, a 'mech which is under ECM coverage can be targeted from outside the ECM; a common example is when a friendly is within the max targetable range, but still outside the ECM bubble - say 190m away. He's not affected by ECM, so his data is relayed, but he's still close enough to target the enemy, so you can see the target on your HUD. However, the target is still affected by ECM, which makes locking on go very slowly.

It could be some kind of latency issue, but that sounds unlikely; unless you're trying to play with a thousand miliseconds of ping, you shouldn't see delayed lock-ons - and if your lockons are delayed, you should see issues with weapons fire as well.

Edited by Void Angel, 10 December 2014 - 02:26 PM.

#6 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

ECM cover and you're trying to lock only using a UAV. Possible, but takes a while.

#7 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostMacksheen, on 10 December 2014 - 03:39 PM, said:

ECM cover and you're trying to lock only using a UAV. Possible, but takes a while.

Yes, I concur.

#8 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:43 PM

I have had this happen to me.. EIther it is a bug, Or it is something to do with ECM.. It always happens when i know ECM is in the area.. it is like the counters are fighting each other slowing stuff down. At least that is how it always felt to me.. Someone can correct me, if it is a flawed assessment.

#9 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,962 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:01 PM

Read the three posts above you. :)

#10 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:36 PM

I use lrm's a lot, and it would be ecm.

#11 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:38 AM

As above, it's ECM and the interactions of soft counters. It can get a little messy.
Also true is it can be lag related. In order for you to get a confirmed lock, the server has to Ok it. You can usually tell if it's this because the locking animation will operate at the same speed but will not do the final locking sound or color but "hang" at the end.

#12 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:01 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 10 December 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

I have had this happen to me.. EIther it is a bug, Or it is something to do with ECM.. It always happens when i know ECM is in the area.. it is like the counters are fighting each other slowing stuff down. At least that is how it always felt to me.. Someone can correct me, if it is a flawed assessment.

For me this often happens when the ECM is cancelled out by friendly BAP. Giving the ECM mech still a degree of cover because of the longer missile locks. I actually thought this was the way it is supposed to happen.... :unsure:

#13 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:47 AM

It's not a bug, it is this:

View PostMacksheen, on 10 December 2014 - 03:39 PM, said:

If said target is being tagged or has a narc on him, your lock on time would be reduced.

Edited by dragnier1, 11 December 2014 - 03:48 AM.

#14 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:18 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 11 December 2014 - 01:01 AM, said:

For me this often happens when the ECM is cancelled out by friendly BAP. Giving the ECM mech still a degree of cover because of the longer missile locks. I actually thought this was the way it is supposed to happen.... :unsure:

Snaga, this is what I have come to see as well. Always seems to be ECM related, and always (for me) when I am using someone else's targeting information (meaning I don't have line of sight). OP, this can be SUPER Frustrating I know, but it's been very consistent under these circumstances so I am positive it's a part of the game. To counter it, you will have to take a few risks to get "Hard" locks using your own sensors... good luck! :)

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users