45 replies to this topic

#41 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:50 AM

Clanners are very beatable in CW, my Unit has done it many times. Sure the score may be 47 kills to 4 but all that matters on the attack is killing the generator on the orbital defense gun. How, you might ask, simply have all you mechs go through the gate at once. Maybe have some of your faster moving mechs break off and race for the base. The absolute KEY is DON"T STOP MOVING. If you stop or allow your team to get bogged down with brawling you will lose every time. The invasion game mode is really about kills it is about achieving the objective. On the defensive side of the matches it is even easier to beat Clanners as they HAVE to close range and you have the advantage of holding a defensible position.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Mao of DC, 14 December 2014 - 05:51 AM.

#42 Kirkland Langue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:55 AM

Let's be honest. There has been a lot of threads talking about the power difference (or perceived power difference) between Clan and IS, for a LONG TIME.

PGI now has data to either back up these assertions, or they have data to dismiss these assertions. Just quit with the threads and wait for PGI to release the data. At that point I suspect that Players will need to create threads telling PGI to release ALL the data, because the data PGI chooses to release will be tainted by games where there was no defender, etc.

#43 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:24 AM

Try attacking boreal as clan. It's just as hard. The map just favors defense, pretty heavily, whether you are IS or clan.

There's only one way in, you can cover both gates from the same place. The other map seems better since there are three paths to take, but I've only played it once (compared to like twelve drops on boreal, defenders won every single one) so I can't comment on it too much.

#44 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:48 AM

View PostSocop, on 14 December 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:

Yeah but a smart clan group is going to take advantage of their corridor push to snipe them and will also have scouts at alpha and beta. They're close enough that it's trivial for anything short of assaults to switch coverage if called out in advance, and at those ranges the clans will lead off with significant advantage. Once the brawling starts the clans have the upper hand because there isn't cover on either road to those gates.

My point isn't that its impossible for the IS to win, my point is that the map design is ultimately flawed and needs to be reworked. That'll take time and resources, just like any sort of balancing and number changing would. In the meantime, its a flick of a switch to let people just use whatever mechs they'd like and I think would be an alright band-aid to counter the imbalance issues between clan and is matchups. Let them run those on weekend test events like they did when clans first came out and had that ridiculously high win rate

The solution is to put a huge building or wall in place that makes it so you can't shoot over both gates while standing in the same place. Being able to set up outside IS effective range and hit both gates at once is whats exacerbating the weapon balance issues.

#45 Scoops Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 716 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:01 AM

View PostAEgg, on 14 December 2014 - 07:24 AM, said:

Try attacking boreal as clan. It's just as hard. The map just favors defense, pretty heavily, whether you are IS or clan.

There's only one way in, you can cover both gates from the same place. The other map seems better since there are three paths to take, but I've only played it once (compared to like twelve drops on boreal, defenders won every single one) so I can't comment on it too much.

Again I'm not arguing that clan weapons are bad or need to be nerfed, I like that clans have the range advantage and IS the brawling advantage. The real problem is that the boreal map is heavily stilted towards range and exacerbates the issue. It'd take a lot of development time to fix or equally long to adjust a bunch of numbers on IS/clan mechs alike and create some new balance. If we just let everyone use what they like for their personal playstyle we go back to the same balance as before CW where neither clans nor IS mechs are seen as explicitly having an advantage over the other because the two get to intermingle.

It's not lore friendly for clanners (though it is for IS) and it would solve this niggling balance issues people are bringing up every thread. Balanced gameplay should trump catering to people who want the lore to be adhered to, and it isn't as if that hasn't been bent over backwards until it snapped in half already in this game.

#46 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:23 AM

View PostKilo 40, on 14 December 2014 - 02:24 AM, said:

and all of that means nothing in game. You may as well make it so each faction gets a special mech hat for all that it matters.

I would like to have a mech hat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users