Daishi Pack Or Manowar?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Jamjor

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:39 PM

I have Timbie and Stormcrow Al a carte. My only 2 clanners. I have temporarily joined Ghost Bear for CW - and I would like a bit of variety.

I am leaning towards the Daishi pack - though all of those mechs are out for cbills.

The ice ferret and Lynx don't interest me much, but the Hellbringer and manowar do.

Can anyone suggest the better, more worthwhile pack. Or would the Thor pack or Hellbringer be worth It to save the extra cash?

Although I did just purchase the Zeus pack,and my Jagers are one of my favorite mechs. Are the resistance mechs expected to be good?

#2 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

Personally I at least like if not downright love all my Man-O-War pack mechs. On the Dashi Side, I love only the Kit Fox and just sort of like the Dire Wolf while downright hating the Nova and Summoner. For me the Man-O-War Pack is the clear winner.

Edit: On the Clan Wave 2 side, the Mist Lynx is a ton of fun if you understand how to play it and one of my best earning mechs. Ice Ferret is also a ton of fun but is very specialized as a light mech hunter/killer. Hellbringer is just a beast and is very unusual in that it really does work well with, to use my TRO lore, "Utterly Mad" weapons configs which combined with ECM makes it amazingly fun. Not quite as good as a Timber but it is solid Tier 2. Gladiator is probably the weakest of the bunch but it is surprisingly durable and effective.

On the Clan Wave 1 side, the biggest issue is that to get the best mechs you have to go up to at least the $210 package and get the Timber Wolf and Crow. Dire Wolf is also good but only if you like really slow and wallowing assault mechs and don't mind being at the mercy of your team supporting you to be effective. Kit Fox is also alot of fun and can be really good. Nova and Summoner though are 2 of the worst Clan mechs in the game so just buying the Dashi Pack means 2 of the 4 your buying are bad mechs. As for the rest. Adder is "Badder" while I really enjoy the Warhawk though at $240 it is awfully expensive.

So anyway, best bang for your buck is the Man-o-War Pack. Also getting the Man-o-War pack qualifies you for the Free King Crab, something you don't get with the Dashi pack.

Final Edit: I also feel you can put together a better CW drop deck with the Man-O-War Pack. 3 Hellbringers and 1 Ice Ferret is a pretty effective deck.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 14 December 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#3 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

Cute Fox is better than the Lynx, Nova is better than the Ferret, but the Loki is better than the Summoner.

Whale is better than the Garg.

Either pack gets you a Jesus Box, and the Loki is pretty useful in CW, but so is the TimberGod.

Resistance pack shouldn't have anything gamebreaking, unless the quirks are insane (which may very well happen). Hard to tell without those quirks.

So, it's really what type of mech you want to bring. Wave 2 only really has the Loki that's worthwhile, or the mist lynx if you really need those 5 tons...but not recommended.

Daishi pack gets you the useful Cute Fox for a light, Nova which is...situational, but in most cases worse than the DoomCrow, and the Whale, which you'll need to make sacrifices to bring.

Buy the pack you want, is probably the best advice.

#4 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:47 PM

Hellbringer is really the only mech worth getting from Man-O-War.

#5 Dino Might

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:47 PM

Buy the Hellbringer ala carte and call it good. The other mechs you will have enough c-bills to get very soon playing in CW or PUG queue with the invasion variants. Lynx and Ferret are kind of like the Clan version of the Locust. They can be good, in the right situation, and with the right pilot. Otherwise, they're death traps.

Were I you, I'd get Hellbringer ala carte and then work on buying the kit foxes for c-bills.

#6 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:50 PM

Daishi pack has more value... with the Dire Wolf and the Kitfox. The other two in the Dire Wolf pack are serviceable.

The only mech worth it in Wave 2 is the Hellbringer. ECM + Heavy is all you need to know. The other mechs in the pack are currently underwhelming... with the Mist Lynx being the worst of the bunch. Gargoyle is serviceable, and the Ice Ferret is a niche mech (think of it like a Cicada, but kinda worse @ 45 tons).

Neither pack is appealing as currently constituted though.

#7 Squally160

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:01 PM

the thing to think also, if youre interested in paints or anything of the sort... all the mechs will be out for cbills eventually

#8 Risko Vinsheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 573 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:42 PM

I think the Wave 2 would be your best bet. The Gargoyle, Mist Lynx, and Ice Ferret are all useful mechs more than people give them credit for. Maybe not the best but I'd still consider the Ice Ferret better than the Nova and find myself enjoying the Gargoyle more than the other two Clan Assaults. To be fair I'm mostly a light/medium/fast heavy pilot myself so it's the speed of the Gargoyle that tips it in my favor.

The Wave 2 pack also includes the bonus of the Faction Packs while the Wave 1 stuff doesn't come with any added value like that. (The $120 packs of both include the same amount of premium time as well.)

#9 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:03 PM

View PostDino Might, on 14 December 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

Were I you, I'd get Hellbringer ala carte and then work on buying the kit foxes for c-bills.

This is my opinion too. Both can boat ERLL, LPL and ECM for CW, so they are very effective for their weight. 3x Hellbringers and 1xKitfox should be a great drop deck. Both mechs have netted me reliably good games.

If you get the Hellbringer pack, the Ice Ferret would fit for the 4th mech. It's good to have a fast sniper (2xERLL) available in case you need that 142kph rush.

The 100 tons for the Dire Wolf is too much for CW.

Edited by Greenjulius, 14 December 2014 - 04:07 PM.

#10 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

Wave 2 hands down...

Gargoyle with 1x lb20x, 4 merl rocks.
Hellbringer... put ECM Tor so on all 3 variants and you need 1 more mech your drop deck.
Ice Ferret is okay.
Myst Lynx is badass... arm loss sick though...

Dire wolf is DOA for CW so forget it. The Kit Fox and Summoner are good mech but not as good a deal.

#11 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:42 PM

I say man o war for 3HBRs with ECM and 1 Er PPC lynx.

#12 W A R L O R D

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMy Direwolf

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostCreovex, on 14 December 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

Dire wolf is DOA for CW so forget it.

You're kidding right.....At least one Direwolf/Assault is almost a requirement for any good CW attack....

I know this is 10 days later, however regarding the original OP: You might be better off buying Premium time and griding out the C-Bills to buy the lighter mechs you need for your drop deck. The Hellbringer or the Direwolf might be a good a la carte option (in my opinion 18 mill C-Bills per DW variant would take some time). As you know people paid good money for those packs to get early access to incredibly powerful mechs because they were NOT available for C-Bills or MC. Now that they are, it may make more sense for you to buy the lighter mechs with "space money" and spend RL money towards a mech you CAN'T buy with C-Bills.

Regarding the Direwolf: An Assault Mech (Direwolf being my preferred mode of transportation) is an acquired taste. You carry ALOT of firepower at the expense of maneuverability, requiring support from your 'lighter' teammates. So a question you may want to ask yourself is: Is the highest level of firepower more important than manuverabilty? If so, then a Direwolf is a logical move. Hopefully that helps. Best of luck!

Edited by W A R L O R D, 24 December 2014 - 12:13 PM.

#13 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:15 PM

TBH, I've seen Dire Wolves being a liability on an attack due to low speed. If it were on defense, it wouldn't be so bad.

#14 W A R L O R D

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMy Direwolf

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:53 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 24 December 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

TBH, I've seen Dire Wolves being a liability on an attack due to low speed. If it were on defense, it wouldn't be so bad.

It can be depending upon your attack strategy, thats why I said "almost". If you're going for Zerg rush, then you're correct, a Direwolf is not as effective as a Stormcrow or Timberwolf. However, if you're playing the War of Attrition (which seems to be the style of warfare the comp teams are playing and certainly alot more fun) then you're going to need a couple assualts mechs (Direwolf being the best). Of course you always have the option of loading up drop ship's with four waves of light & medium mechs for that rush.

#15 F4T 4L

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostJamjor, on 14 December 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

I have Timbie and Stormcrow Al a carte. My only 2 clanners. I have temporarily joined Ghost Bear for CW - and I would like a bit of variety.

I am leaning towards the Daishi pack - though all of those mechs are out for cbills.

The ice ferret and Lynx don't interest me much, but the Hellbringer and manowar do.

Can anyone suggest the better, more worthwhile pack. Or would the Thor pack or Hellbringer be worth It to save the extra cash?

Although I did just purchase the Zeus pack,and my Jagers are one of my favorite mechs. Are the resistance mechs expected to be good?

It's very personal.. For me, I love the fatty and the peacedove. I've hardly played anything else for ages (although that's largely down to wait time in the heavy queue. Tbr and hbr are both awesome, but queuing for assaults is a lot quicker right now).

Edited by F4T 4L, 24 December 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#16 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:25 PM

Because you have some ala carte mechs, I would say go with the gargoyle pack. i think you would see more use for it in CW drop decks, plus IMO so far the mechs in that pack dont play like the rest of the clan mechs either(actually IMO they have done really well making each clan mech feel unique)

also, don;t you get a mad dog if you buy wave two? Or was that just pre order?

#17 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

View PostW A R L O R D, on 24 December 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

It can be depending upon your attack strategy, thats why I said "almost". If you're going for Zerg rush, then you're correct, a Direwolf is not as effective as a Stormcrow or Timberwolf. However, if you're playing the War of Attrition (which seems to be the style of warfare the comp teams are playing and certainly alot more fun) then you're going to need a couple assualts mechs (Direwolf being the best). Of course you always have the option of loading up drop ship's with four waves of light & medium mechs for that rush.

I understand what you are thinking but running so slow on assault... better of Wave 2....

2x Hellbringers, 1x Timberwolf, 1x Kitfox...
2x Timberwolf, 1x Hellbringer, 1x Mis Lynx...

Clan has too many valuable heavies to compromise for an Assault (at least on attack)

#18 W A R L O R D

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMy Direwolf

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:48 PM

View PostCreovex, on 24 December 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

I understand what you are thinking but running so slow on assault... better of Wave 2....

2x Hellbringers, 1x Timberwolf, 1x Kitfox...
2x Timberwolf, 1x Hellbringer, 1x Mis Lynx...

Clan has too many valuable heavies to compromise for an Assault (at least on attack)

Those ARE good drop decks. I'm not arguing that Timberwolves or Hellbringers or Stormcrows are not great mechs, or whether they are more or less effective than a Direwolf. In fact, in my original post I very specifically pointed out that if Jamjor wants to bring the most amount of firepower in a mech, the best way to do that is in an Assault. If manuverabilty is more important to him/her than he/she should consider using a Heavy, or a Medium or even a light.

The mechs we all play most (in my case it's the Direwolf) is a matter of preference and how you want to approach the battlefield. When I show up to the fight, I want mechs to blow up instantly. So when I alpha my dual gauss - 4 med laser - 2 large pulse laser - Direwolf build into a Hunchback's center torso, he's going to explode in the most glorious, Fourth of July-esk, fashion. The thought of that, makes me as giddy as a school-girl. Some people don't care about that. That's why they pilot a light or a medium or heavy.

TL/DR: Jamjor should buy the mech he can have the most fun in, or why bother playing the game.

#19 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:43 PM

View PostBrody319, on 14 December 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

Hellbringer is really the only mech worth getting from Man-O-War.

The Ice Ferret/Fenris isn't bad. Not exceptionally good, either. But if you load it up with ERMLs and play it like an oversized light, it's not bad.

#20 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:49 PM

View PostEscef, on 24 December 2014 - 11:43 PM, said:

The Ice Ferret/Fenris isn't bad. Not exceptionally good, either. But if you load it up with ERMLs and play it like an oversized light, it's not bad.

It is however being purposely restricted...

There's a 2nd laser on the right arm (the D right arm) in the game files, which has yet to be implemented. That would help, a little bit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users