19 replies to this topic

#1 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

Deleted old post... or tried dunno if its still there.

Solution to griefers.

New account under X days old, and under x levels cannot friendly fire.
New accounts under X days old and under x levels cannot land grab or defend.

Only Doing friendly fire takes away from your reputation gauge based on damage done.
(votes can be abused by groups of a-s-s-hats working together)

Anyone under X reputation cannot participate or defend land grabs.
Reputation reset... is about a month?

Also there should be a room feature to auto ban player under a certain reputation level

Also, disconnects and retreating off the field should also take away from your reputation.

Amounts should be that they prevent abuse, but give enough room for real legit occasions

Edited by ManDaisy, 22 November 2011 - 11:05 PM.

#2 Halfinax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:39 PM

So both the number of days old and account is AND the level of the account should directly dictate what the player account can or cannot do to effect the game world?

A level 10 account that is only 10 days old could not in any way effect the perpetual game world? What if it is a level 10 account that is 100 days old? Could it then effect the game world, or a level 100 account that was 10 days old?

I'm assuming you understand that the variable "x" would have a constant value regardless of if it is representing days or levels within the same algorithm.

#3 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:49 PM

View PostHalfinax, on 22 November 2011 - 10:39 PM, said:

So both the number of days old and account is AND the level of the account should directly dictate what the player account can or cannot do to effect the game world?

A level 10 account that is only 10 days old could not in any way effect the perpetual game world? What if it is a level 10 account that is 100 days old? Could it then effect the game world, or a level 100 account that was 10 days old?

I'm assuming you understand that the variable "x" would have a constant value regardless of if it is representing days or levels within the same algorithm.

I thinks it's to stop griefers from signing up with multiple accounts and just sitting on them or power leveling them until they can mess with people. It might also be a good way for new people to get the hang of the game before they get thrown in with the sharks.

#4 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:49 PM

level and account days. yes I stand firm both should be prime barriers. You dont want a buncha level 10s trying to defend a homeworld do you?

Edited by ManDaisy, 22 November 2011 - 10:50 PM.

#5 Halfinax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:10 PM

I understand the OP's intent, I believe. I was pointing out for the most part that an equation of x= 2+3 means that the variable "x" actual has a constant value throughout the equation so if x = x -2 + 2 the value of x is still the same. Basically I was being obtuse. I understood the OP meant that X = days active, and Y = level of account.

I do not however believe that this is a fair or unbiased representation of skill level, and further more believe that there is no quantitative abstraction that could equate player skill level. In the TT game an individual Mechwarrior has only 2 skills (piloting, and gunnery) an actual player has no such simplistic measure of skill.

I don't think that player skill should have any real baring on BV of a team value in a MMO FPSimulation. If anything I believe this is what Herb was referring too. I believe the 'Mech's and only the 'Mech's BV should be considered in team fights and let player skill fall where it may. In PUG matches Elo should be considered and then PUG teams should have to negotiate to fall within a requisite BV for all 'Mechs to be fielded. Barring the latter then PUG matches should be randomly determined by bidden BV.

#6 Dlardrageth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:45 AM

Just need a firm hand to take care of most problems involved though. Someone repeatedly (2+ times) reported for friendly fire griefing (resulting in major damage, not just one random shot from a small laser going astray)? 1st a tempban (week a or so), second time permaban. Problem solved. Someone sitting in matches AfK doing zip all, trying to leech some XP/rep? Just the same, reports (with screenies) incoming, after the second, tempban, one more permaban. Problem solved. <_<

Before someone starts whining about how he totally has in that one very specific situation to totally hit a friendly with two LRM20 salvos or go AfK and walk his dog or whatever... if you see you risk invoilving friendly fire, only shoot if you are reasonably sure you have a decent chance at avoiding it. Otherwise, do not shoot, period. In the game world, in a Merc setting, if you just blew his multi-million C-bill ride to shreds, the Merc pilot might come over afterwards and put a bullet through your head. In the real world you risk a ban and losing your account.

For the second issue, if you cannot stay for the match duration, don't start one. If there is a real emergency it would happen once in a while and have no consequences. If you have to got AfK every other day due to an "emergency". you're doing it wrong. Guess you didn't want a MWO account anyway, right? :rolleyes:

Now for the part where I think the OP goes a bit over the top. Restricting newbies to some sort of "in training status" being unable to participate in territory conquest or even some battle types, isn't going to cut it. Not until there will be a full-fledged tutorial, whose completion could serve as a "qualifier" for that. Barring that, restricting newbie access for even as little as a week would be bad policy for PGI. It is unlikely most of the newbies would really relish being discriminated against for a full week and stick with MWO. Way to lose customers...

Now another one... you seriously want to punish people by losing reputation for random disconnects? Which they might have no influence on whatsoever? I'd like to see your reaction if you are in a match, doing well, PGI's server has a hiccup due to a glitch and you lose rep because you got disconnected. Don't really believe in you doing the happy dance. As far as "retreating" goes, that will be a matter of game mechanics IMHO. But punishing someone for a technical issue which he might have nothing to do with, which could lead to a disconnect, is just wrong. Especially if you do it somehow automated. Don't even want to think on how that could lead to a lawsuit if someone is really ****ed off... :D

#7 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:51 AM

View PostDlardrageth, on 23 November 2011 - 02:45 AM, said:

For the second issue, if you cannot stay for the match duration, don't start one. If there is a real emergency it would happen once in a while and have no consequences. If you have to got AfK every other day due to an "emergency". you're doing it wrong. Guess you didn't want a MWO account anyway, right?

Four kids, youngest ones 90% deaf, second to youngest autistic and occasionally hostile to siblings... Got on the mektek servers last night when I thought one was asleep and the other occupied. Wound up with a christmas tree knocked over, glass broken in the kitchen and a kid with two bloody feet.

Real Emergencies happen semi frequently in this household. Guess I should just take off now and get out of your hair? <_<

#8 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:03 AM

Need a subthread:

How we should discipline our peers.

#9 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:03 AM

Juxstapo has a point, many of the players in MWO will be coming from families and although you think your toddlers are fine for a 30 min quick game, well they end up doing something... Murphy's Law, kids are ripe with it.

I can often get a quick mid day battle in, but sometimes, just sometimes I have to steal myself away to real life for 5 minutes because family comes first.

#10 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:16 AM

I have no sympathy for newbies at all. no friendly fire? Smeg that. They've gotta learn. Anyway, these machines are massive, and I would assume that friendlies would be well indicated on your HUD. So if they do cause friendly fire, they should get a slap round the back of the head, NCIS style.

As far as reputation...I think MWO might attract a slightly older demographic than perhaps COD would, with that comes other responsibilities and such. I don't think bowing out of a match should be a negative thing.

#11 Redtail

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

Automating bans or serious penalties for friendly fire would break the game, I think...

There's a huge focus on information warfare, some of which includes tactical dickery.

However, these things should be useful BUT should come at a risk.
You want to paint up your 'mech with the enemy's colors? Be prepared to risk being hit by a friendly when OPFOR is suddenly jamming your team's IFF.

THey shouldn't be penalized for your dice-roll.

#12 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:44 AM

View Postjuxstapo, on 23 November 2011 - 08:51 AM, said:

Four kids, youngest ones 90% deaf, second to youngest autistic and occasionally hostile to siblings... Got on the mektek servers last night when I thought one was asleep and the other occupied. Wound up with a christmas tree knocked over, glass broken in the kitchen and a kid with two bloody feet.

Real Emergencies happen semi frequently in this household. Guess I should just take off now and get out of your hair? <_<

Well, at current state of affairs we're talking about 20-minute matches here. I'm not saying that you do not ever have the chance to foresee what the next 20 minutes might bring. Of course if you never can estimate if you got 20 minutes to take a bath or mow your lawn or whatever, I kinda see your point.

Still, even factoring that in, how often would you spend all of the 20 minutes match time AfK? Statistically it's more likely you'd have to bail out early. I.e. you'd have to drop everything suddenly after 5 minutes or something. And that is completely different from sitting all match AfK at spawn point.

Gotta see the other side of it as well. There you go into a 4 vs 4 battle (just random example, this), Mech lineup looks balanced, could be interesting, and lo and behold, you discover 2 of your 4 mechs are piloted by ppl AfK, totally unresponsive and about as useful thus as a random tree in the landscape. Yes, "Good Game", do you now wait to be gang-banged by the enemy with double the firepower or do you eject right away instead of wasting up to 20 minutes?

There can be no "perfect" solution, but there will be a need for some sort of equitable ruling. Games get hurt pretty badly if they become known for harboring AFKers and botters galore.

Edited by Dlardrageth, 23 November 2011 - 10:44 AM.

#13 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

Modes of Game play make all the difference here.

1) Lets jump in and shoot stuff, even my buddy (we'll laugh and then shoot back)

2) Lets try and earn some Salvage and C-Bills (DUDE wft are doing? Shooting your team is killing the C-Bills numbers) Note aholes name as he is now off the Team)

3) We have gathered to take ALARIS 3 from those Federated scum. We have assembled our best Lance(s) with their best configs and we will be VICTORIOUS! FF? Ain't gonna happen intentionally, ever.

Play which you prefer.

Edited by MaddMaxx, 23 November 2011 - 01:32 PM.

#14 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

uhh.. Dlardrageth I kinda reread my post and realized just how titchy-mc-****** it sounded. I apologize.
Sore point that. I get frustrated as bawlz here. Don't go out and drink heavily, don't gamble, dont go anywhere really. And still can't seem to just "get away" long enough to even play a fliriggin game. (Don't get me wrong, my wife is a hero, we just never expected to have kids w/serious devlopmental issues, <_< ).
Hit a post that seemed ("seemed" mind you), to touch on that and got my lil' panties all in a bunch.

I suppose my point (if I could be assumed to have one), is that staying on the game really is a challenge to some of us.

heh.. first time I've had to apologize for being a richard on MW related forums.

Edited by juxstapo, 23 November 2011 - 01:46 PM.

#15 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

Not that this relates but getting your kids as much interaction with other kids as you can should go a long way when they grow older. Also if your kids are with a good crowd more worry free time for you. Development needs experience. Grind em.

Edited by ManDaisy, 23 November 2011 - 02:05 PM.

#16 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

Griefers are a huge issue in F2P games. No barrier for making new accounts. Plus old players come and smurf on new accounts as well as regular griefers.

I don't know that there needs to be a hard level/time barrier, but people should be matched with others of similar level. It makes sure the serious players rarely have to deal with the griefers making new accounts each week to avoid the ban hammer.

Also we need to keep track of how much team damage and game leaves a person has. Make it so people who TD/rage quit are more likely to get matched vs each other. Over time those who like to grief will be mostly playing vs others who think its amusing, quit, or get banned. All wins for the majority of the player base.

#17 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 23 November 2011 - 08:51 AM, said:

Not to be mean but your emergencies/internet problems/etc aren't my problem. Nor are they the problem of the (20ish?) other people involved when you leave a game in the middle of a match. If you're okay with leaving in the middle of a match you should be prepared to get matched with others who think its okay to leave in the middle of a match.

#18 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

Suits me... actually the option to get matched with individuals in similar situations would be perfect. Have a "Have Family, may be AFK occasionally" league. (Too Old To Play)

#19 Moppelkotze

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationRuhrgebiet, Deutschland

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:05 AM

In Heroes of Newerth you got a leave percentage. If it's about x percent you are a leaver.
When starting a match there you can check the leaverprotection so you will only
be matched via matchmaking with other players that are no leavers.

Edited by Moppelkotze, 24 November 2011 - 02:05 AM.

#20 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:39 AM

I live in the country not a town. Normally my connection is reasonable, but if a lot of people suddenly log on it can degrade rapidly, to the point where I can lag out or get a disconnect. It's something I have no control over as there is no guaranteed good time. Does this mean I will; be classed as a "leaver"?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users