Another Reason Why Clan Mechs Zerg Better

25 replies to this topic

#1 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:50 AM

Same engine. simple as that. You organise a rush, you often charge in better as a group because mechs of the same model rush in together.

This is also mpre beneficial for lone wolves. they can charge in with group players with the same speed.

IS mechs often use builds with 4 diffrent engines so...

Edited by theta123, 16 December 2014 - 06:51 AM.

#2 ShadowSpirit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:54 AM

View Posttheta123, on 16 December 2014 - 06:50 AM, said:

Same engine. simple as that. You organise a rush, you often charge in better as a group because mechs of the same model rush in together.

This is also mpre beneficial for lone wolves. they can charge in with group players with the same speed.

Posted Image

#3 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:55 AM

You know, I think this is the first non Whine actual observation of mechanics I have read in a while. Thank you sir! B)

#4 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:11 AM

Alot of people really need to pull their head out of the OpBox and start to look at things from a neutral aspect. Clan and IS mechwarriors alike

#5 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:16 AM

Are you saying a mech can only go full speed or stop? I know my mech has a throttle and I can adjust it to keep pace with other people, could be just me. :ph34r:

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:18 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 16 December 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

Are you saying a mech can only go full speed or stop? I know my mech has a throttle and I can adjust it to keep pace with other people, could be just me. :ph34r:

I think he is saying that it how most Inner Sphere pilots think Notch. And to my experience he is correct.

#7 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:21 AM

Its a shame these IS mechs only have the ability to go 0% or 100% throttle and nowhere in between.

#8 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:21 AM

This observation could be part of the huge surge in heavy and medium mech i see from time to time.... people taking lightermechs to keep up with the pack

Sorry but i can't look at it from a neutral point of view.... i want this game to have a higher annual revenue then EVE.

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:22 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 16 December 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

Its a shame these IS mechs only have the ability to go 0% or 100% throttle and nowhere in between.

As an Assault pilot who always goes max throttle, I have to agree with you! B)

#10 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:23 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 16 December 2014 - 07:18 AM, said:

I think he is saying that it how most Inner Sphere pilots think Notch. And to my experience he is correct.

Yes, many people are dumb and only either hold the w key down or stop, but explaining how dumb people play doesn't really mean the clans are any better, well I guess for dumb people it may be. I remember back when I played with my guild and I was throttled down staying with the group and one of my guildies asks why I put in such a slow engine. So in a way I guess it's correct. Throttle is OP. :rolleyes:

#11 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:26 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 16 December 2014 - 07:22 AM, said:

As an Assault pilot who always goes max throttle, I have to agree with you! B)

True, I guess the OP thinks the Dire Wolf runs the same speed as the Timber Wolf, must be because they both say "Wolf".

#12 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:30 AM

Clan have always had the advantage of cohesiveness due to to all their mechs pretty much running the same speed. However unit discipline is all that is needed. If an IS unit wants to zerg rush and keep their variable speed mechs pushing together, then they need to use command and control to insure this is happening. Simple as that. I mean you don't have to run 150 kph in your light so if your tactics require you to stay with the group, run 70 kph instead.

#13 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:35 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 16 December 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

Clan have always had the advantage of cohesiveness due to to all their mechs pretty much running the same speed. However unit discipline is all that is needed. If an IS unit wants to zerg rush and keep their variable speed mechs pushing together, then they need to use command and control to insure this is happening. Simple as that. I mean you don't have to run 150 kph in your light so if your tactics require you to stay with the group, run 70 kph instead.

Blood lust: players love to get into the same special firing positions every dam game. That kills unit movement dead so it cant happen for IS pugs.

#14 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:36 AM

I see more Warhawks than Dire Wolves in CW. The venerable whale is just too slow.

#15 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:39 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 16 December 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

Couple things here...

Moving 70kph in a Light is asking to have your leg blown off. Instead you keep going at 140-171kph and weave or loop back constantly touching base with the main group while still getting eyes on what is flanking and ahead.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that while people CAN throttle back, while under fire and having a commander chanting "Go, go, push through, don't stop." into your headphones people often tend to push it to 100% without thinking about it. Once fire starts flying a lot of groups stop thinking and start reacting.

Now, most clan mechs have a much narrow speed range and so often have no choice or concern about racing off without the support of their team just be default. :)

#16 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:48 AM

IS light blitz is like shooting crabs in a barrel. I will drop my Wubmaster and just sit there oneshotting the little insects, laughing maniacally.

The Clan Zerg is a totally different beast. You run into a decently fast blob with HUGE amounts of HP, that will likely eliminate half of your team on the way to the objective. It's a burst of Doomcrows, and while you turn to deal with them, the Timber Wolves and Hellbringers are lagging behind and they open fire on your backs.

Nightmares.

Edited by Kevjack, 16 December 2014 - 07:49 AM.

#17 SirSlaughter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 370 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:53 AM

NERF THE UNCHANGABLE ENGINE ASAP!!!!

Edited by SirSlaughter, 16 December 2014 - 08:53 AM.

#18 Walluh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 682 posts
  • LocationLovingly stroking my Crab Waifu

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:54 AM

It's one of my favorite things. On one hand, I'd love to tone down the engines on a few of the clan heavy builds (or up it on a few turbostupid Direwolf builds), but on the other, the wonderfully synced Deathball if fantastic.

#19 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:57 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 16 December 2014 - 07:26 AM, said:

True, I guess the OP thinks the Dire Wolf runs the same speed as the Timber Wolf, must be because they both say "Wolf".

I have to throttle back in my Atlas when I am with a Newer Dire Wolf Pilot without Maxed Pilot Perks...

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:58 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 16 December 2014 - 07:26 AM, said:

most organized clan units are not matching DWs to TWs in drop decks.

He is not saying to nerf anything but pointing out, the common tendency especially with PGs to slam the throttle to the stops (or stops and hide cause your paint got scratched), whereas one nice commonality with the successful clan units is that even if everyone does slam the throttle to max, you stay together.

In reality it's overcome with coordination and discipline, but most of the losing teams are losing specifically because they lack those 2 facets.

It's a lot easier when building a synergy between 12 dropdecks and 48 mechs when you don't have to worry about if Jo is running a 300 std in his atlas and slowing EVERYONE down. (And one the Zerg waves, I rarely see clan assaults. I see them on the first wave to batter down defenses a fair bit, but 2-3 waves seem almost all Stormcrows and Hellbringers and TWs))

basically, the more variables you can remove, the easier it is to be cohesive and organized. Why do you think NATO standardized so many things?

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 16 December 2014 - 09:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users