Pgi, Why Are 90% Of The Cars In Crimson Straights Blue?

35 replies to this topic

#1 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:06 PM

Were they unable to sell all the blue models on the prime worlds, so they shipped them off to the backwaters to get rid of'em?

Did the last dropship to enter the system have an overabundance of blue paint?

Inquiring minds want to know the truth!

Edited by Suko, 29 December 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#2 Siegegun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 424 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:16 PM

Because its obviously a utopia of some sort where the car color and model is the same for everyone.

It is only the many multi ton war machines which drop from the skies to fight over this utopia that actually makes it not such a utopia. Too bad for them I see no end in sight.

Joking aside I have actually commented on this many times while in game. As a joke of course.

Edited by Siegegun, 29 December 2014 - 08:17 PM.

#3 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:30 PM

that's the color they turned to after the paint interacts with the planets red rain.

#4 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:17 PM

Not enough blue. We need more blue. BLUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#5 SilentSooYun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts
  • LocationTikonov

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:00 PM

Possibly a local style or superstition, the same way that there is(was?) a disproportionate number of white cars in Japan.

#6 Diablo Intercepter

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:22 PM

Communism

#7 Golden Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 656 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:34 PM

This needs to be addressed immediately!

#8 Lil Cthulhu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 554 posts
  • LocationR'lyeh

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:40 PM

Everyone bought all the red ones because da red wunz go fasta

#9 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:51 PM

I know it would make the fps drop drastically, but it would be awesome some little people running and screaming over the streets, or maybe soldiers trading fire in the corners. Would help with the scale perception. Sometimes I just feel IAM the mech, not piloting one...

And I don't care if everyone (cars, people, boxes) are blue, just put more action on the streets! :)

#10 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:00 PM

View PostAnarcho, on 29 December 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

I know it would make the fps drop drastically, but it would be awesome some little people running and screaming over the streets, or maybe soldiers trading fire in the corners. Would help with the scale perception. Sometimes I just feel IAM the mech, not piloting one...

And I don't care if everyone (cars, people, boxes) are blue, just put more action on the streets! :)

I agree it would be cool.

Titan Fall did wonders why that.
Walking in your Titans. Seeing the ennemy running away from you when they spotted you and heard "Titan! Look out!/Ho crap! A TITAN!"
Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh....; :3 Goooooooood tiiiiiiimmmeeeee....

to be IN the mech, I can suggest you to change the FOV.
http://mwomercs.com/...f-being-a-mech/

#11 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:24 PM

I changed, but don't you agree that would be awesome step on some little people and see the blood splatter on the ground? MuaHAHAHAHAhUAHuAH *thunders clap on the background*

#12 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:51 PM

Greetings all,

(sorry wall of text warning, it didn't start out that way.)

The cars, trucks, and some of the older elements were simply reused assets for this 'at the time' new map.
- Saving artists and designers any further time to build additional models for map 'clutter' objects.
- The car and truck designs were originally only simplified 'test' models for placement with little time spent on there construction. We first saw these on the map River City, and they were placed randomly about indicating very rapid evacuation of the area. But as with nearly every object, they are not 'rigid body' elements, so no 'destructibility' modeled into them. (yet)

- We did see some new objects, the cranes and dock manipulator arms hanging from the ceilings. (Crimson Strait)
~ sadly the reuse of some terrain objects will continue, until the teams have sufficient time to build any new elements.

The 'library' of materials and objects was stated to be quite large, this from PGI, and it would allow for faster map design and production.
- If it means 16 of the same colour car on the parking lot, I blame that directly on the final layout and design artists or engineers. (unless these are all similar 'Company' vehicles and ordered in bulk, just missing the door or trunk decals.)
~ "think UPS designed and coloured trucks everywhere."

Everything we see is basically simplified/minimalized for gameplay, spend any additional resources on high detail or definition models and it cuts into graphics and information transmitted from client to server.
(although most of the detail could be left to the client only and it's dependent on the level of detail settings.)
- There have been a few PGI dev's that did state that they were not happy with the current level of displayed detail on the maps. It led to some loss of emersion to look out from the Mech and see very low detail models of objects. And they wanted to see this corrected.
~ (there was a leak that there is a dev build that has all high definition models, and really pushed the engine to run it.)
- I'd like to see this as an add-on, downloadable content, for those that have the systems to run it.

The older maps are known to have somewhat simplified objects and models, but there is no time to 'revisit' these designs yet. And replace, test, tweak, fix, and generally bring them up to the newest maps better quality levels. Building the newer maps with 'future proofing' built in, ability to simply swap out items, objects has been discussed. Whether this has been implemented or not we'll need to see. All these 'small detail' objects being discussed don't really have any impact on gameplay, and are just eye candy. (they are not very high on the list of needed elements to be fixed, things that could break or cause gameplay issues.)

As we move deeper into CW and the addition/return of collision is reintroduced, these objects may need to be redesigned to take damage, physically obstruct or slow down some Mechs if impacted/collided with. This physics engine is fully capable of displaying very good to great effects for damage states and explosions, but how much do we trade for gameplay. With the move to the 64bit client and opening up the GPU and RAM for additional use we may indeed see future effects implemented. The longer the artists and engineers work with the engine the better they get, and the more we gain.

Additional note: adding 'gore' to the game (stepping on squishy things) would seriously change it's 'game rating' and age limit. Probably not something PGI want's to do.

Aim True and Run Cool,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 29 December 2014 - 11:58 PM.

#13 kuangmk11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationW-SEA, Cascadia

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:22 AM

#14 Lollercoaster

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:35 AM

The blue paint is what makes them so sturdy, they tank way better than my nova =p

#15 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:22 AM

View Postkuangmk11, on 30 December 2014 - 12:22 AM, said:

When those Adders walked by, I thought "How cool is that?". And then came the "prancing" Daishi and I literally facepalmed and lol'ed. It's not easy to turn a 100 ton hulking war machine into a ridiculously hopping joke, but PGI surely did a good job on that one!

#16 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:40 AM

View PostAnarcho, on 29 December 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

Don't blame me if I spread my burning love with my Flamurz

#17 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:13 AM

It's military resource conservation...

Blue is the cheapest paint to manufacture and all the expensive (gaudy) paint is being reserved to slather over our mechs.

AKA... the real reason our premium paints cost what they do. :ph34r:

:P

#18 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:15 AM

The real question is - if my medium mech is only 10 meters tall, why are the cars so tiny?!

#19 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:31 AM

Blue is the new meta and it's OP, plz nerf! Every time I turn around I'm getting killed by blue, it's ridiculous! PGI needs to fix it immediately, or I'll hold my breath until I turn blue and become the new meta!

#20 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:35 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 30 December 2014 - 06:15 AM, said:

The real question is - if my medium mech is only 10 meters tall, why are the cars so tiny?!

Battletech\MW has a tendancy to overscale

I'm almost exactly 2 meters tall. Stack 5 or 6 of me and you have a medium mech. That's only slightly taller than a telephone pole.

I prefer my mechs small.

An m1abrams is ~60 tons, so these mechs, being denser with less crew space, should really be no larger than modern vehicles.

Edited by LordBraxton, 30 December 2014 - 06:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users