36 replies to this topic

#1 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:13 PM

Hey everyone,

A number of players are experiencing client crashes resulting from Memory Allocation Errors when running the new Community Warfare game mode.

Until we can roll out some fixes to resolve or reduce these occurrences, the steps outlined below should be able to limit them from occurring.

If you are running MWO under DirectX 9:

Lower your Texture settings to Medium or lower (through Settings > Video > Advanced Options)

OR

Run MWO under DirectX 11. This will allow your system to utilize your GPU memory along with your system RAM and potentially allow you to keep your Texture quality setting at higher levels without experiencing the error.

If you are running under DX11 and are still receiving these errors, lower your Texture settings to medium or lower.

Please note that the success of these workarounds is entirely contingent upon your system having at least 4GB of physical RAM in your system. This is the minimum amount of RAM recommended for running MWO.

#2 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

So wait'a minute: What percentage of the population has
sys_budget_videomem = x
set at all on their systems, let alown to how much RAM their card has?

#3 scruffy416

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:02 PM

View PostGoose, on 12 December 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

sys_budget_videomem = x

First I've seen it - where should it be set? What units?

#4 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:48 PM

user.cfg; a 2GB card is "2048" …

#5 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:27 PM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 12 December 2014 - 02:13 PM, said:

Hey everyone,

A number of players are experiencing client crashes resulting from Memory Allocation Errors when running the new Community Warfare game mode.

Until we can roll out some fixes to resolve or reduce these occurrences, the steps outlined below should be able to limit them from occurring.

Lower your Texture settings to Medium or lower (through Settings > Video > Advanced Options)

OR

Run MWO under DirectX 11. This will allow your system to utilize your GPU memory along with your system RAM and potentially allow you to keep your Texture quality setting at higher levels without experiencing the error.

If you are running under DX11 and are still receiving these errors, lower your Texture settings to medium or lower.

Please note that the success of these workarounds is entirely contingent upon your system having at least 4GB of physical RAM in your system. This is the minimum amount of RAM recommended for running MWO.

Wait - 4GB total or 4GB available to user-mode applications (like MWO)? I ask, but cause 32-bit versions of Windows won't allocate more than 2GB to user-mode for all applications to share (including the OS shell).

#6 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationGaledon District

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:36 PM

I have a 3GB card and 16GB sys memory and still had this error. Running DX11.

Edited by G SE7EN7, 12 December 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#7 Aidan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 542 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:42 PM

Roger Alexander. I set my textures to Medium. I will see if this helps.

#8 en Raude

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:45 PM

From what I understand, the MWO engine is 32 bit so the limitation is with the game software and not the total ram on your system after exceeding the minimum. Would be good to have this confirmed from the devs or someone certain of all the factors involved.

#9 Arkbird_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:55 PM

Curious as to why this would occur on my 8 gb ram system when it sounds like an issue for those with 4 or less... But still going to do the DX11 switch (4gb from graphics card enough?), and medium texture setting fixes. Will update this post... I have been getting the error once every 2 drops on average which isn't good, but still way better than a few teammates/enemies complaining that they supposedly are getting it 3 or 4 times per match though.

EDIT: Seems to work for me. 6 drops not a single crash to desktop for memory allocation. Really don't like DX11 though, lower frame rate and can't alt tab out of game while waiting for CW matchmaker. Going to try just texturing to medium and hope that is my only problem.

Edited by PV Phoenix, 12 December 2014 - 08:34 PM.

#10 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:06 PM

I don't often look, but IIRC, the game only grabs ~1.2GB of the CPUs' RAM: Are people seeing something different?

#11 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:21 PM

View PostGoose, on 12 December 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

sys_budget_videomem = x

1st time Ive ever seen this either and I changed my user.cfg file back during closed beta.

View PostAlexander Garden, on 12 December 2014 - 02:13 PM, said:

Hey everyone,

OR

So does the Client remember what DX your running (if so then why does it keep showing that its running in DX 9 than in DX 11? And strangely enough Ive heard that these crashes have only been occuring in 32 Bit systems, which leads me to believe that either there is some seriously sloppy programming going on.
Remember how when you were running in XP you could test with DX Diag and see the spinning cube, the bouncing box and the with box filled with a spiral? When I upgraded to Win 7 that functionality was gone. Did MS remove it because it was too much trouble for them to tighten up the programming or is it because they didnt want a visual representation to show that DX 11 really wasnt any better than DX 9/10? And look at the ATI/AMD Catalyst Control Center. There again I had more functions and adjustments I could make under XP that dont exist in Win 7. Yet both companies tout that these programs do soooo much more to improve performance but instead of having more things that you can make adjustments to there is less. 'We want a more informed and knowledgeable customer so they can take charge of their systems and make adjustments, and know what to look for when those changes are made.' Well if you want them to take better charge then why did you take away functionalities and a test that showed that changes were made did improve performance (since the bouncing box bounces faster or the cube did have tearing etc etc)? I think that since the programming has gotten easier to do there are gaps that the more involved programming of the older Languages wouldnt let slip by, and that the Industry really doesnt want more people in 'the Know', but ignorant (and easier to convince that things really are better) and not wanting a Test that was Part of Dirext X since DX 3, that shows there really isnt any more performance gain unless you have a computing system thats made to do Movie quality rendering that the average user cant afford (or be willing to pay so much for because they arent making movies).

Someone please tell me that in a Win 7 64bit system you have more functionality rather than less and I will chalk it up to Microsoft, not wanting to bother with 32 bit programming tightening, since in 3 years they wont have to worry about it anymore because everythings running in 64bit (Mainstream support End Date for Win 7 (pre Sp1) is 1-13-2015 while right below that they state

Support ends 24 months after the next service pack releases or at the end of the product's support lifecycle, whichever comes first. For more information, please see the service pack policyhere .

Service pack 1 was released 2-22-2011. Guess what? Technically MS can tell everybody they can take a long walk off a short pier Since there is no service pack 2, but they know if they do that that they'll lose more customers so they extended the Support to 1/14/2020. So if MS thinks that people will be using Win 7 till 2020 (and it doesnt specify 32 or 64 bit) then wouldnt it make sense that instead of focusing on 64bit, which will get its glory as being the be all end all (until someone figures out how to do 128bit), but on 32 bit because More consumers are using it (why didnt MS go full on 64bit with Win7 since XP was the 1st to have a 64bit option and Vista was total crap in both 32 and 64 bit (and Win 7 was supposed to fix all the stuff that Vista's sloppiness exposed)?)
Ok nuff complaining, hoping this will fix my constant crash issue that is the joy of CW.

#12 scruffy416

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

So I switched over to DX11 - crashed right after the lobby with a CryEngine allocation failure - doh. But I managed to reconnect at the Ready screen and dropped into the match fine. Also made the first respawn without crashing, but then we lost, so no idea if further respawns would have been crash free.

Now just trying to find a match again.

#13 A DRUNK GUY

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 83 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:59 PM

Does DX11 actually work now? Everytime I turned it on it lowered my FPS, or made the mechlab flicker in to an actual drop.

4770K 16Gigs of ram and 2 GTX670s

#14 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationGaledon District

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:15 PM

Had the error, changed to med textures and was able to rejoin and keep playing. Team was slaughtered tho by the time i got back in and we were spawn ***** lol.

#15 Primetimex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 353 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:48 PM

I crashed in every game during each mech drops - but was able to rejoin game.

Another thing is the flashing which occurs when your mech is being dropped will be deadly for those suffering seizures/epilepsy - PGI please take note.

This game needs serious re-optimisation - still crashing on a 24Gb i7 3770 GTX 980 system.

#16 Túatha Dé Danann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:50 PM

I have 24 GB of RAM too and also have memory alloc errors. Also 3 Gigs of VRAM. This is so broken.

Edited by Túatha Dé Danann, 12 December 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#17 ImperialCrusader

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

I've seen terrain disappearing, and then crashing could not take screenshot. Running DX11 on a 3gb videocard and 8gb ram

#18 Drop_FF

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMadison, GA

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:38 AM

View PostVoodooLou Kerensky, on 12 December 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

And strangely enough Ive heard that these crashes have only been occuring in 32 Bit systems, which leads me to believe that either there is some seriously sloppy programming going on.

I run a 2GB AMD HD7870 GPU, quad core Richland AMD 3.8GHz cpu, 8GB ram, use DX11 and Windows 7 64-bit. I have upwards of 6-8 memory allocation crashes a match. Ran the repair tool, lowered graphics... still memory allocation crashing like there is no tomorrow.

#19 gregsolidus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:11 AM

Can't use DX11 after CW patch due to new graphical errors such as image ghosting.

#20 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:39 AM

Thanks it worked for me went to med. textures really helped on the lag .

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users