Option To Split Accounts Between Factions?

33 replies to this topic

#1 Asmudius Heng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:17 PM

I am not sure if this has been discussed or if it would cause massive problems.

I know a bunch of people now who have a heap of clan mechs but are tied to IS units. They can use those clan mechs in the regular queue etc but they do feel they are now missing out on clan faction warfare and do not want to abandon their units etc.

Would it be problematic for players to have an option to create a new account and transfer their clan mechs across to that account?

While this means you would get people in multiple units with different accounts that happens in many other games anyway. Spying etc might happen but you can create new accounts anyway so its not like that wont happen.

I see this more as an amnesty for players who bought into clan mechs before they realized that CW would make it hard to play them and their IS mechs.

This is more a discussion not a request - i dont actually own ANY clan mechs ... clanners are stinky buggers with a stick up their butts after all ;)

This might also be a technical nightmare for PGI also is another angle

Thoughts?

#2 Savage Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:29 PM

It would be a nice gesture from PGI to make such a function. Not that I feel that PGI owes anyone this function, but it would make some people really happy.

#3 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:30 PM

I know Paul in some of his CW posts was talking about trying to have a "clan" and "IS" account (multiple "pilot" profiles) so that players can participate in both factions and use their entire mech list in a more favorable way. I'm sure there are lots of logistical problems (database has to be designed to handle that) plus "conflicts of interest"... being in Kurita and Clan Smoke Jaguar for "trading planets" is not exactly what anyone would call "fair".

So, there is quite a bit of work to be done to get this done.

Edited by Deathlike, 18 December 2014 - 02:30 PM.

#4 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:41 PM

This is something we've tried to approach a couple of times so far, and in a few different ways.

No news on this at the moment, unfortunately.

#5 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:43 PM

If you want to increase profits I would spend the time to find out a way to do it.

#6 ShadowWolf Kell

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:44 PM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 18 December 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

This is something we've tried to approach a couple of times so far, and in a few different ways.

You guys will figure something out then we can play both our IS and Clan mechs. :)

#7 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:44 PM

Please, neg. My "character" is already split into four mechwarriors while dropping in CW battles, i do not want him to be split anymore, if you know what i mean.. 7 days contracts are not enough?

#8 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for the update - good to know its been considered. I know a few people suffer from split loyalties and some are even considering creating new accounts and just rebuying clan mechs but i feel this is a huge waste of money for them.

Noted Deathlike - though its going to happen anyway as i stated you can always just create a new account anyway. I dont see any way to stop people making conflicts of interests and spying especially when faction chat comes in (most real strategy will be secret on closed TS comms etc)

At least if PGI implement they can track those users :P

#9 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

Other games have multiple characters per account. But in those cases. You can't share equipment. Perhaps C-bills. But then again those were fully interactive games. Even World of Tanks has crew.

#10 MechWarrior5152251

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:59 PM

Just open a new account. They are free and you can even get the cadet bonus again.

#11 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:06 PM

View Post911 Inside Job, on 18 December 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:

Just open a new account. They are free and you can even get the cadet bonus again.

And then ask PGI to transfer the Clan mechs, which you paid cash for, into the new account.
And then PGI probably says "no because we don't want unscrupulous people to use this feature to sell mechs to other players".

#12 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:11 PM

I seriously wish my clan mechs were on their own account.

#13 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:14 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 18 December 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

Please, neg. My "character" is already split into four mechwarriors while dropping in CW battles, i do not want him to be split anymore, if you know what i mean.. 7 days contracts are not enough?

This.

The "I want to be able to drop in whatever 'Mech whenever the mood strikes" people can drop in the non-CW queue. CW should be faction-specific.

#14 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:26 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 18 December 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

This.

The "I want to be able to drop in whatever 'Mech whenever the mood strikes" people can drop in the non-CW queue. CW should be faction-specific.

For lone wolves its fine - for those in units who are forced to play what the majority of the unit wants its more of an issue.

#15 Procale

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:29 PM

Switch factions. People being able to ride the fence instead of picking a side is pointless and can lead to abuse. The other game mode will let you enjoy the clan mechs.

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 18 December 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

For lone wolves its fine - for those in units who are forced to play what the majority of the unit wants its more of an issue.

If it upsets someone so much, leave the unit. Problem solved, otherwise enjoy the other game modes.

#16 Applejack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 523 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:35 PM

I am glad you are exploring the possibility.

I think it would be neat to allow multiple persona, one Clan one IS, and simply restrict play on the account by a case where the player must choose whether or not they follow their IS or Clan persona for the day. The next day they can choose a different persona (and play as Clan one day and IS the next, but never switch on the same day).

If you'd think that would lead to a bad amount of players flipping sides all the time... I don't think it did so in the original PlanetSide. Then again, the original PlanetSide was scaled to resolve significant portions of the "war" within 12 hours or less, but sometimes it would take much longer than that.

Edited by Applejack, 18 December 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#17 R Razor

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:39 PM

Then there are the less scrupulous pilots that (because they'd do anything to look great) jump into one sides mechs and throw games so their favored clan could gain more ground. And yeah I'm sure it wouldn't be a "rampant" problem, but even once or twice is once or twice too many, and everybody knows there are certain types playing today that would probably at least try something like that.

#18 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:58 PM

I've been suggesting this for awhile now.

Keep your current account.

Allow each account to have a CLAN affiliation and an IS affiliation. If you log in and use the CLAN affiliation you will not see IS mechs as a drop option, just as it is now. Choose to play your IS affiliation and you can't select clan mechs.

It might be necessary to put some sort of "lock delay" between changes to minimize abuse, but this way PGI doesn't end up with more "artificially inflated" player account numbers and it should be simple to implement.

#19 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:17 PM

View PostProcale, on 18 December 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

If it upsets someone so much, leave the unit. Problem solved, otherwise enjoy the other game modes.

You do realise that peoples friendships and long running unit affiliations are going to make that impossible.

Lack of empathy and understanding detected captain!

#20 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:31 PM

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 18 December 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

Perhaps convince your unit to make a Clan-aligned charter, or just start you own and invite your friends to join.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users