Option To Split Accounts Between Factions?

33 replies to this topic

#21 Asmudius Heng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostXenonCx, on 18 December 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

Perhaps convince your unit to make a Clan-aligned charter, or just start you own and invite your friends to join.

I will state again i have no problem i am IS to the core this was about a wider discussion.

Many people do not WANT to leave their current unit they may have been gaming with since closed beta or even previous mechwarrior titles.

If the majority of the unit do not want to go clan (quite likely as clan mechs are very expensive and many people just cannot make that investment in time or money) then they are stuck.

Yes they can simply go use the clan mechs in the regular queue - its not even essential to change the way things are working now but the release of clan mechs BEFORE community warfare has caught a lot of people off guard who believed they might be able to use clan mechs as an inner sphere unit etc etc

PGI were pushed to release the clan mechs early before CW as IGP did not support it - i think this would help them patch up that error in judgement also while giving those that want to have different accounts for thier clan and IS mechs without ruining thier current units cohesion

#22 Shaka808

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHonolulu

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:46 PM

View PostR Razor, on 18 December 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

Then there are the less scrupulous pilots that (because they'd do anything to look great) jump into one sides mechs and throw games so their favored clan could gain more ground. And yeah I'm sure it wouldn't be a "rampant" problem, but even once or twice is once or twice too many, and everybody knows there are certain types playing today that would probably at least try something like that.

Except this is already happening and already possible with people who made multiple accounts. The types that would do this are already doing this.

#23 R Razor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:51 PM

View PostShaka808, on 18 December 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

Except this is already happening and already possible with people who made multiple accounts. The types that would do this are already doing this.

Possibly, but if they're doing it with two accounts then they are likely paying for each account in terms of Premium Time and whatever packages and Hero Mechs they bought so that's at least defensible in that respect.

#24 Shaka808

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHonolulu

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:14 PM

View PostR Razor, on 18 December 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

Possibly, but if they're doing it with two accounts then they are likely paying for each account in terms of Premium Time and whatever packages and Hero Mechs they bought so that's at least defensible in that respect.

Which doesnt actually earn PGI any extra money since you are just splitting the same money between two accounts instead of 1. Premium time isn't needed either once you have what you want so doubt anyone is just buying double premium time.

The real crux is no one was told you had to assume or guess. This was more than likely IGP's fault for not letting PGI do anything with CW and rush out clan mechs.

I'm ok either way I would LIKE to be able to transfer mechs to another account and play my clan mechs in CW but currently my unit does have plans to swap between clans and IS once CW is more fleshed out. However I'm just wanting to point out all the arguments so far against this are completely moot because everything people are arguing against is already being done by many people. PGI needs to either open it up to those who did spend the money early before being told they may potentially be wasting their money (or forced to abandon friends in some cases) or close it off.

#25 TIggerstYle

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Ab, CA

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:42 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 18 December 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

This.

The "I want to be able to drop in whatever 'Mech whenever the mood strikes" people can drop in the non-CW queue. CW should be faction-specific.

Durant this is the only argument you make, and its the same one you're making in other threads as well, I wish you would see the stupidity of this statement. PGI did not have any CW specific info out in the early spring when a lot of us prepaid for our clan packs. Only as CW was nearing did specifics get released. A lot of us would not have paid $300+ dollars for the clan packs if we knew the only way we could use them was to leave our current units.or just ignore all the cool new features being released. A lot of us are in bigger units that have a variety of players, some with clan packs and some not.

i do not understand why so many of you have a problem with ALL players being able to use their entire mech stable in CW. Exactly how does a person having the ability to possibly switch "pilots" thus affiliation affect you in a negative way that all you do is ***** about the feature?

#26 Procale

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:35 PM

Asmudius Heng said:

You do realise that peoples friendships and long running unit affiliations are going to make that impossible.
Lack of empathy and understanding detected captain!

If they are really friendships then the unit wouldn't mind if you ran clan or IS every now and then.

Of course there is a lack of empathy on this subject. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they don't understand. Until PGI can find a way to insure a fence rider doesn't tank the game while playing one faction and giving his all on the other faction, I am against allowing people to easily flip/flop match to match. I understand there are some who would be legit but I also know this is an online computer game where there are always plenty of people trying to cheat. I'd rather not invite that type of abuse openly.

Edit: Leaving a unit is not impossible. Just click a button.

Edited by Procale, 18 December 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#27 Shaka808

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHonolulu

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:12 PM

View PostProcale, on 18 December 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

If they are really friendships then the unit wouldn't mind if you ran clan or IS every now and then.

Of course there is a lack of empathy on this subject. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they don't understand. Until PGI can find a way to insure a fence rider doesn't tank the game while playing one faction and giving his all on the other faction, I am against allowing people to easily flip/flop match to match. I understand there are some who would be legit but I also know this is an online computer game where there are always plenty of people trying to cheat. I'd rather not invite that type of abuse openly.

Edit: Leaving a unit is not impossible. Just click a button.

The fence rider tanking argument is also moot since it can and will happen now. Those who aren't doing it wont be any more likely to do it if allowed two factions on the same account or to transfer mechs from one account to a second account. So far the only arguments against allowing a transfer to another account or the ability to have a clan and IS faction on the same account are.

1. Its not lore you shouldn't be able too for RP/Lore reasons. - Debunked since you can already make two accounts.

2. People will tank and throw games for their "main" faction - Debunked as they can already do this and use two accounts. (Hell if they want too they can create 10 accounts and tank for 9 factions now)

3. You should have thought before you bought - Yes if people were actually told what they were buying before shelling out hundreds of dollars to find out they cant really use these units for what they want when they want. (its akin to mcdonalds for years not stating their fries contain dairy products then trying to claim people should have known when they got sued by people with diary allergies for not assuming fries would contain diary)

4. Haha I made two accounts and you didn't so you should suffer while I reap the benefits. - These people are just jerks.

The top 3 reasons are actually very valid reasons if there weren't already a way some people circumvented them and can circumvent them. All people are asking for is to be treated equally across the board for the money they spent and were not warned/advised for when they did. If there had been a statement that CW would not feature a way to use clan mechs and IS mechs together on the same account at the same time so make a second account. (which wouldn't have even been possible since IGP had no plans to ever do CW when they pushed the clan packages out) then no one would have any right to complain. As it stands alot of people were sold a false of goods and have every right to be grumpy about it while some people in the know or late to the party are/were able to circumvent this problem.

Alot of us on the side of the allow transfer/or double faction aren't even effected by it we just think its a raw deal and will end up costing the game in the long run.

#28 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:33 AM

View PostShaka808, on 19 December 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

The top 3 reasons are actually very valid reasons if there weren't already a way some people circumvented them and can circumvent them. All people are asking for is to be treated equally across the board for the money they spent and were not warned/advised for when they did. If there had been a statement that CW would not feature a way to use clan mechs and IS mechs together on the same account at the same time so make a second account. (which wouldn't have even been possible since IGP had no plans to ever do CW when they pushed the clan packages out) then no one would have any right to complain. As it stands alot of people were sold a false of goods and have every right to be grumpy about it while some people in the know or late to the party are/were able to circumvent this problem.

Alot of us on the side of the allow transfer/or double faction aren't even effected by it we just think its a raw deal and will end up costing the game in the long run.

I disagree here. I mean common sense should have dictated that in a game that's primary focus is the Clan invasion which would pit Clan Vs IS, that those who sided with Clans would be using Clan mechs and that those who sided with IS would be using IS mechs. I mean when you play StarCraft, you aren't fighting for the Terrans if you select Protoss as your faction. I mean the point is having access to different equipment depending on your faction isn't a new concept, in fact it has been around for years. So sorry, no one was sold a bill of goods unless they sold it to themselves by convincing themselves they would be able to play Clan mechs if they choose the IS as their faction.

Also as a Clanner, who is invading the IS, I might actually quit if all of a sudden I was invading Steiner space and the IS team was using Clan tech. I mean that is so immersion breaking it isn't even funny.

Now as to being able to play as both IS and Clan, this I think should happen. You have all these shinny IS mechs so yes you should be able to use them in CW and lets be honest about something, if your in a unit, they aren't going to tolerate you actively opposing them so the community would police itself in that regard. However I myself don't see a problem with being in my Clan Wolf unit and also having say a Davion Affiliation on my second character, as long as I am not dropping against Clan Wolf or part of any other organized unit. I see no problem at all PUGGING away against Liao for example.

#29 Chem1cal

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 20 December 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

I disagree here. I mean common sense should have dictated that in a game that's primary focus is the Clan invasion which would pit Clan Vs IS, that those who sided with Clans would be using Clan mechs and that those who sided with IS would be using IS mechs. I mean when you play StarCraft, you aren't fighting for the Terrans if you select Protoss as your faction. I mean the point is having access to different equipment depending on your faction isn't a new concept, in fact it has been around for years. So sorry, no one was sold a bill of goods unless they sold it to themselves by convincing themselves they would be able to play Clan mechs if they choose the IS as their faction.

1.) When you buy star craft you are able to switch factions (not within the single game and not in the middle of the story but you have access to all the factions other players do).

View PostViktor Drake, on 20 December 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

Also as a Clanner, who is invading the IS, I might actually quit if all of a sudden I was invading Steiner space and the IS team was using Clan tech. I mean that is so immersion breaking it isn't even funny.

2.) No one is asking for that, two pilots or split accounts still means you'd drop 4x clan or 4x IS mechs and they would be the same as the faction you were fighting for at the time (IS or clan) I don't understand how this is such a commonly misunderstood concept.

#30 Shaka808

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHonolulu

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:26 PM

Except the games focus was not supposed to be the clan invasion when it was first marketed. We were supposed to have CW before the clan invasion, the clan pack came out and there was no word that the CW focus was going to start with and focus entirely on the invasion.

And yes in no way would I endorse allowing clan mechs in IS drops just the ability that doesnt require you to STOP playing CW to be able to use what people have purchased without warning that they wouldnt be able to use them effectively in CW.

#31 Capt Sternn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

Well this is easy to. Just Like any other game you have your account and then Characters(Pilots) under it. So like in WOW you have your Alliance guy (your IS Pilot, Name Cadet Poopypants) and you Horde guy (your Clan Pilot Star Captain Stickupherbutt). in Pug matches you use your account name, in CW matches you use your IS or Clan name. easy simple, every other game can do it out of the box.

#32 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostShaka808, on 20 December 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

Except the games focus was not supposed to be the clan invasion when it was first marketed. We were supposed to have CW before the clan invasion, the clan pack came out and there was no word that the CW focus was going to start with and focus entirely on the invasion.

And yes in no way would I endorse allowing clan mechs in IS drops just the ability that doesnt require you to STOP playing CW to be able to use what people have purchased without warning that they wouldnt be able to use them effectively in CW.

I have been around since it was first marketed and as far as I recall everything was leading up to the Clan invasion. Sure they were suppose to have community warfare out earlier but it was still going to be faction vs faction with some talk that you would actually be limited to faction specific variants. In any case, I will say it again, not one person should have been surprised that Clan mechs were only usable to Clan and vice versa.

Now that being said, I am a Clanner and many of my favorite mechs are only available to the IS side. I love my Firestarters, I love my Battlemasters and I love my King Crab and I own half dozen or more IS hero mechs, however you don't hear me crying about not being able to bring my Battlemasters or King Crab on a Clan drop.

Now here is the thing. I honestly was hoping for PGI to come up with a series of mini-campaigns that would only last a short time each. Clan Invasion for maybe a month or two, then perhaps a Davion vs Kurita campaign where if you did CW you had to pick Davion or Kurita and while this was going on the Clan Invasion was on hold. Basically just alot of variation to keep things interesting.

However, I would fully support a split account where I could participate on both sides as I wanted. Really they just need multiple characters with shared resources just like any other most other MMOs.

#33 R Razor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

Last time I checked out the splash page when this game loaded it didn't say Star Craft, it said Mechwarrior Online.

#34 Shaka808

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHonolulu

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 20 December 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

I have been around since it was first marketed and as far as I recall everything was leading up to the Clan invasion. Sure they were suppose to have community warfare out earlier but it was still going to be faction vs faction with some talk that you would actually be limited to faction specific variants. In any case, I will say it again, not one person should have been surprised that Clan mechs were only usable to Clan and vice versa.

Now that being said, I am a Clanner and many of my favorite mechs are only available to the IS side. I love my Firestarters, I love my Battlemasters and I love my King Crab and I own half dozen or more IS hero mechs, however you don't hear me crying about not being able to bring my Battlemasters or King Crab on a Clan drop.

Now here is the thing. I honestly was hoping for PGI to come up with a series of mini-campaigns that would only last a short time each. Clan Invasion for maybe a month or two, then perhaps a Davion vs Kurita campaign where if you did CW you had to pick Davion or Kurita and while this was going on the Clan Invasion was on hold. Basically just alot of variation to keep things interesting.

However, I would fully support a split account where I could participate on both sides as I wanted. Really they just need multiple characters with shared resources just like any other most other MMOs.

Yes that would be the most efficient solution, if maybe the hardest for them to implement. Simplest solution would be to allow a one time mech transfer to people who purchased the top tier invasion waves, They would still need to XP grind and money grind for modules and such so would still suck quite a bit but at least they would have that chance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users