29 replies to this topic

#1 Sethliopod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationInside the smoking wreck.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:11 PM

This is all very anecdotal, of course, and I am certainly an average to below-average player, focusing mostly on lights, and all in PUGs...

...but the new Quirked-out Huginn? Wow, just wow!!!

I've got about 120 drops in it, most of them pre-quirk, pre cool-down mod, and mostly dying without scoring kills. Now however, I almost didn't want to post here, because the new ride almost feels like cheating--kind of like it felt after buying the Timberwolf before the tweaks to lasers and JJ loadout. Now, I'm consistently scoring in the top four in damage/points--when I don't do something stupid.

It fires off SRM4s like they were belt-fed, shredding armor in an explosion-filled frenzy. My biggest problem so far has been that I can't tear my seat out to fit more rockets.

It's certainly not for every light pilot, not a sniper, no ECM, poor jumpjets, seriously ammo dependent, you will die one leg at a time.

But, if you like to tuck yourself behind an opposing Assault or anyone with poor torso-twist, and proceed to destroy their will to play, this is a blast!

I've found my other fast, back-stabbing, gunboat-hunter lights are too slow in damage output for my tastes. Or they get too hot. The Huginn tends to allow me to finish off an opponent before getting overly hot and before backup can arrive.

The drawbacks I've found: I simply cannot carry enough ammo to finish the match. I've ripped out great accessories: AMS, BAP, less JJs, reduced armor in the head & arms to minimum safe levels, reduced the MGs+1/2 ton ammo, and even eliminated them entirely, slightly smaller engine (but speed is still life!), and still I run out of ammo. I can't jump like my Spiders, I can't duel (esp vs lights!) like a Jenner, and I can't run up walls and spread damage like my Commandos.

The ease of being legged coupled with ammo-consumption keep me from scoring even more damage and kills. And that's tricky. But, that's far more enjoyable for me than simply feeling you cannot reach the performance levels you need in order to properly contribute to the match. This Mech is now really instrumental in reducing enemy heavy gunboats, rather than only being the best looking Mech on the field. ;)

tl;dr: The Huginn, post quirk+SRM4 cooldown mod is a blast! But, don't use it. Ignore me when I'm behind you. I'm not touching you.

#2 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:17 PM

if you run out of ammo and get no kills or high damage you are doing it totally wrong.
i still have 2 mg's + 1 ton of ammo, 2 srm4 and 500 srm. with jumpjets and the stock engine.
if i go out of a battle without at least 2 kills and 500 damage.... i get mad. its so easy to reach these numbers now with a huginn.

#3 Sethliopod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationInside the smoking wreck.

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:43 PM

Exactly! 2-3 kills, 400+ damage. I never used to do that with the Huginn, now the only thing stopping me is running out of ammo....or losing a leg/being stupid.

#4 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:50 PM

I haven't run it since the quirks. So many quirked mechs I need to check out still. Will give this guy a spin tonight.

Rocket Vomit....is it too late to change my in game name?

#5 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:44 AM

I purchased a Huginn because of the quirks and have been doing great in it took a smaller engine for more srm ammo ....

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4b1301107968397

Edited by nehebkau, 09 November 2014 - 07:53 AM.

#6 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:55 AM

The quirk pass made many things possible and more importantly, enjoyable. Huginn is on my list bit man ... WVRs, JM6DD, CTF4X, BJ1 ... I need more room to play to enjoy them all!

#7 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:14 AM

The quirks on this mech alone make me want to go out and buy a set of Ravens despite not being able to use them when CW hits.

This thing is scary without any modules.

I have already watched pilots (two different pilots, two different maps) take out two upper-tier assault mechs, and cripple a third, on their own, and get away live before the enemy team could rally.

#8 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:22 AM

Like any light, however, you gotta play them right otherwise you are just as screwed by the 1-hit kill.

#9 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:52 AM

I've been able to paint a little Dire Wolf silhouette under my Huginn's cockpit window since the quirk upgrade. I snuck up behind it and unloaded everything into its back; it barely had time to try to turn around before it was dead. If you get the drop on one, the Huginn is the Dire Wolf's new worst enemy.

On another occasion I died to friendly fire because of the red mist of seeing that the last enemy mech standing was a Dire Wolf (I tried to run through a teammate's arty strike to get to it). I still ended the match with four kills though.

#10 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:08 PM

Here are some of today's runs in the Huginn....

Posted Image

#11 CuriousCabbitBlue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 228 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:01 PM

the quirks + max lvled (at this time) cd mod for srm 4s give you about 62 percent cd reduction

....the have like the fire rate of ac/2s but do way more damage xD got Artemis on mine, I'm not use to using something so squishy but getting the hang of it, this thing just eats armor

#12 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:22 AM

View PostRuccus, on 09 November 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

I've been able to paint a little Dire Wolf silhouette under my Huginn's cockpit window since the quirk upgrade. I snuck up behind it and unloaded everything into its back; it barely had time to try to turn around before it was dead. If you get the drop on one, the Huginn is the Dire Wolf's new worst enemy.

On another occasion I died to friendly fire because of the red mist of seeing that the last enemy mech standing was a Dire Wolf (I tried to run through a teammate's arty strike to get to it). I still ended the match with four kills though.

Finally played it...yes, Dire Wolves go down quick to this guy. That back armor disappears quickly when those SRM4s come out that fast!

#13 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:16 AM

I was going to buy a Pirate's Bane with the MC I saved from the cybe Monday sale, but the Huginn was on sale for only a little bit more... and I already love Ravens...

Yeah, wow. Got it Speed Tweaked in one night doing 2-man group drops (aka, mostly losing). Bought the cooldown module because why settle for a merely egregious ROF when you can be completely insane?

I kept the machine guns, though. c.c

#14 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:46 PM

Cool down for SRMs and Range for MGs and you're good. Range for SRMs is pointless, because if you are firing your SRMs at max range... you are either legged and about to die... or you are just doing all wrong.

I love my Huginn. I can't put it down. Seriously. When I get my butt shot from under me, I switch over to my Pirates Bane which, not as powerful as the Huginn, is just as much fun just in a different way.

#15 flying-kestrel

Rookie

• Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:06 PM

Just wanted to chime in and say that yeah, the Huginn is great. It was one of my favourite 'mechs before the quirks, and the quirks have made it just that much better. I used to get a bunch of 300/400 damage games, these days I top 500/600 pretty regularly.

I've long since mastered it, and the build I use is similar to this one. Bring along an arty, a UAV, seismic, radar deprivation, MG range, SRM cooldown, and target info gathering, and it's awesome. Just need to hang back until you get a good chance to do something.

I have to admit that I have, on occasion, found use for the SRM range module as well. Particularly when charging at a sniper 'mech otherwise under fire; I've been able to get in another round of 8 SRMs sometimes. Or just when popping out on Caustic Valley and firing at a group of enemy heavies/assaults. Most of the time, though, yeah --- the additional range on the SRMs isn't that useful to me, as the additional range bonus from the Huginn itself covers most of what I want.

Edited by ethereal visage, 03 December 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#16 MikeBend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 536 posts
  • LocationUnderhive

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:20 AM

I know i am doing it wrong, but the Huginn build that works best for me is LRM5 + SSRM2 + 4MG + BAP. I know i should l2p, but for now i just die too fast with 2x4SRM. :rolleyes: That streak scares the hell out of Firestarters and Commandos, and lrm is good for sneaking behind and harrassing from afar. MGs come in handy at the end of match, when everyone is armorless. And BAP makes it so easy to Streak ECM carriers.

Edited by MikeBend, 04 December 2014 - 12:23 AM.

#17 saagri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:34 AM

Personally I did away with the MG's to get more ammo for the srms.

HUGINN SRM only

Moves at 150, both JJ's, and enough srms to get through a particularly long match.

It is fun being able to chain fire the SRM 4's like no one's business. I do it for the screen shake if I know I will be sticking around but I pick my shots more carefully and alpha when the situation demands it.

Edited by saagri, 04 December 2014 - 12:35 AM.

#18 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:28 AM

i have to try this now. I usually did really well with the Huginn pre-quirks with SRM6

Edit:
I went XL280 + 2x SRM4+A, 6 tons ammo, 2 JJs

srm4 range 5 and cooldown 5

with range 5 you get 364m!

I keep running out of ammo but I keep ending up with rounds in the 800+ range and 2+ kills among lots of other stuff.

Edited by Bigbacon, 04 December 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#19 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:24 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 09 November 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

I purchased a Huginn because of the quirks and have been doing great in it took a smaller engine for more srm ammo ....

I got it just because I had the MC left and it was half off right before quirks. I love it now but, I've had no where near those games. I generally do have "fairly" high dmg but, low kills. Like 2 kills and 700dmg. I have basically the exact same build lol. My average dmg is 308 but, my stats are all so messed up from before the quirks and trying to level that thing.

#20 Mirenheart

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

Something interesting to note is that with the Huggings quirks, the elite upgrade, and the level 5 SRM4 cooldown modual, the SRM4s get a .99 second cooldown.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users