Love Cw But Not Very Faction Specific

24 replies to this topic

#1 Oraeon1224

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:04 PM

I am sure this is a bad idea but...

I would love to see mech type limitations for factions in CW (Orions for Marik, Dragons for Kurita). Right now IS vs IS looks very homogenous you can't tell one house from another. A group of Davion pilots all driving Dragons seems a bit disappointing. To make it less limiting maybe you could have 3 House specific drop bays and 1 private mech drop bay (any type of mech you like). That would give some options for personal taste but make each conflict have a different flavor.

Just to clarify you could have any variant appointed to your house so it wouldn't be generic chasis specific.

#2 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:33 PM

People have already been complaining that they can't use their IS or Clan Mechs based on their chosen faction. I can't imagine the complaints here on the forums if players are locked into very specific Mechs based on their faction.

#3 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:52 PM

I would support this, but only if 'Mech factories on specific planets can be captured and give access to some mechs.

#4 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:53 PM

How about instead, different factions have reduced costs for various mech parts / weapons? eg: Kurita gets cheaper Jenners then everyone else. (Or better yet, make control of certain worlds that manufacture mech parts allow your unit to get cheaper parts as well).

#5 Squally160

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

Go go a reason for RnR here. Drive house mechs? get massive discounts. pilot out of house mechs? cough up the dough to keep them running.

#6 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:58 PM

Limiting mechs like that would make balance a nightmare (only Liao would get Raven 3Ls, ect), and would be plain frustrating to most people.
Some sort of incentive to run specific mechs would probably be fine (ie. LP boost or something).
Or, if they ever implement logistic systems, faction specific mechs could be cheaper to run/drop/repair/ect

#7 Oraeon1224

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:03 PM

View Postarmyunit, on 19 December 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

Limiting mechs like that would make balance a nightmare (only Liao would get Raven 3Ls, ect), and would be plain frustrating to most people.
Some sort of incentive to run specific mechs would probably be fine (ie. LP boost or something).
Or, if they ever implement logistic systems, faction specific mechs could be cheaper to run/drop/repair/ect

I like that idea. An LP boost would be nice. It also might be nice of there were some repair cost in CW between missions and that cost was much lower for faction specific mechs. Plan on cost being 2/3 estimated income from a mission in worse case scenario (all 4 mechs destroyed and lost) vs 1/3 for faction specific mechs.

#8 NextGame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

I think it would be interesting, but you would have to bend the rules a bit to spread certain capabilities across all factions for both IS and Clan tech sets.

for example, not having the Tbolt, 3L and a couple of others available for all IS would pretty much be a disaster for balance, and clans who weren't allowed the timberwolf would be as popular as a fart in a spacesuit to align with.

Edited by NextGame, 19 December 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#9 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:55 PM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 19 December 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

How about instead, different factions have reduced costs for various mech parts / weapons? eg: Kurita gets cheaper Jenners then everyone else. (Or better yet, make control of certain worlds that manufacture mech parts allow your unit to get cheaper parts as well).

^this

then toss in logistics (which PGI will start working on in January) and tie costs to planets held and such. Would add a lot of depth to the game.

#10 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:58 PM

+25% LP if you drop in only house mechs.

#11 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostHARDKOR, on 19 December 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

+25% LP if you drop in only house mechs.

Some sort of bonus or "quirk" in CW for adjusted loyalty would be great as a first step.

Higher Ranks giving discounts on mechs or equipment would be great too (even if only like 5%).

Banking LP and being able to use it to 'buy' things in the future once you hit your max would be nice as well.

#12 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:09 PM

View PostBarantor, on 19 December 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

Some sort of bonus or "quirk" in CW for adjusted loyalty would be great as a first step.

Higher Ranks giving discounts on mechs or equipment would be great too (even if only like 5%).

Banking LP and being able to use it to 'buy' things in the future once you hit your max would be nice as well.

^this
I'd like to see LP become the "currency" for CW. SO that you can actually use it to buy things and such. Even if it's just CW related stuff like bigger dropships and such.

#13 Wolfwood592

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 505 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:09 PM

View PostBarantor, on 19 December 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

I believe restricting the mechs to house only would appease to a small amount of hardcore players. Unfortunately, it would result in a very difficult gaming experience for those without META builds in each class.

I would be all for it, but, what steiner wouldn't be? The idea of adding an LP bonus to players willing to pilot strictly house mechs would be awesome though.

#14 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostWolfwood592, on 19 December 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

I believe restricting the mechs to house only would appease to a small amount of hardcore players. Unfortunately, it would result in a very difficult gaming experience for those without META builds in each class.

I would be all for it, but, what steiner wouldn't be? The idea of adding an LP bonus to players willing to pilot strictly house mechs would be awesome though.

Take it one step further and offer bonuses to those brave souls who run stock mechs :P

#15 Utilyan

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:39 PM

I'd be 100% for House/Clan QUIRKS overlayed on ALL MECHS. So the characteristics of every mech is differ based on faction too.

Example the Awesome 8Q. One house might have it good with PPCs, another with ERPPC, another with ER LASERS, another might be better armor, speed/acceleration, ect.

stockmechs bonuses would be nice =)

#16 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:47 PM

View PostUtilyan, on 19 December 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

I'd be 100% for House/Clan QUIRKS overlayed on ALL MECHS. So the characteristics of every mech is differ based on faction too.

Example the Awesome 8Q. One house might have it good with PPCs, another with ERPPC, another with ER LASERS, another might be better armor, speed/acceleration, ect.

stockmechs bonuses would be nice =)

that would go one step further and add in specific manufacturer quirks for weapon systems :P

Would love to see that also

#17 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:57 PM

View PostOraeon1224, on 19 December 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

I am sure this is a bad idea but...

I would love to see mech type limitations for factions in CW (Orions for Marik, Dragons for Kurita). Right now IS vs IS looks very homogenous you can't tell one house from another. A group of Davion pilots all driving Dragons seems a bit disappointing. To make it less limiting maybe you could have 3 House specific drop bays and 1 private mech drop bay (any type of mech you like). That would give some options for personal taste but make each conflict have a different flavor.

Just to clarify you could have any variant appointed to your house so it wouldn't be generic chasis specific.

Agreed.

The success of CW cannot depend solely upon loyalty points or even winning or losing planets. Battletech is a universe rich in history and lore, and this is a perfect chance to explore.

Reward people for playing faction loyal mechs, introduce a good logistics system (not that awful old Repair and Rearm, but a GOOD one), and so on. The weapon manufacturer quirk is a great idea also.

A player of a given faction should be able to look around at his team and have a good idea what faction they are based on something other than the little faction icon on the Tab screen.

#18 Master Pain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:07 PM

An LP bonus for using faction specific mechs would be great.

#19 Oraeon1224

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:29 AM

I am curious if anyone is that interested in LP that it would change your mech choices though. Maybe a c-bill bonus for using faction mechs?

#20 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostOraeon1224, on 20 December 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

I am curious if anyone is that interested in LP that it would change your mech choices though. Maybe a c-bill bonus for using faction mechs?

If LP gave you nice camos/colours/free mechs they would be. Depends what PGI puts in as the actual rewards rather than the boring ones we have now. I've often thought that extra LP for piloting the correct house mechs would be nice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users