24 replies to this topic

#21 Savage Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:53 AM

Limiting mechs based on IS faction as already said many times already would be a balance hell and keep people from mechs they have bought or from mastering three variants. Would only make a few people happy and make alot angry.

Quirks based on faction is once again balance hell. We already have variants.

Making mechs cheaper based on faction will not work because people will simply change to a 7 day contract, buy mechs, jump back to faction. Or simply pay the extra c-bills for the meta mech. It's not like we see few Atlas' just because it's expensive.

Giving people an LP bonus is the only option that I see will work. It might not move much with the loyalty rewards that we have now, but it would probably move a little. And most importantly, anger no one. And loyalty rewards will probably improve.

#22 Oraeon1224

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:10 AM

View PostSavage Wolf, on 20 December 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

Limiting mechs based on IS faction as already said many times already would be a balance hell and keep people from mechs they have bought or from mastering three variants. Would only make a few people happy and make alot angry.

Making mechs cheaper based on faction will not work because people will simply change to a 7 day contract, buy mechs, jump back to faction. Or simply pay the extra c-bills for the meta mech. It's not like we see few Atlas' just because it's expensive.

Giving people an LP bonus is the only option that I see will work. It might not move much with the loyalty rewards that we have now, but it would probably move a little. And most importantly, anger no one. And loyalty rewards will probably improve.

I would like to point out that I didn't want you trapped with only faction specific mechs. But perhaps 2-3 of your 4 slots should be faction specific. That would allow you to have an exception mech or maybe 2 but generally be more faction specific. You did choose a faction afterall, if you don't like their mechs why did you choose that faction.

Edited by Oraeon1224, 20 December 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#23 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:27 AM

View PostOraeon1224, on 20 December 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

I would like to point out that I didn't want you trapped with only faction specific mechs. But perhaps 2-3 of your 4 slots should be faction specific. That would allow you to have an exception mech or maybe 2 but generally be more faction specific. You did choose a faction afterall, if you don't like their mechs why did you choose that faction.

Sorry, didn't see that suggestion. Does sound like a compromise between limiting mechs and allowing all IS mechs.

But in the end, game design and gamification still says that it's always best to encourage a behaviour with a bonus than with a penalty or even limitations.

#24 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:45 PM

View PostSavage Wolf, on 20 December 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

You bring up some good points, in any case limiting mechs based on factions (other then clan, innersphere alliances) is definitely bad (developers should never take, only give). I can see giving bonuses though I think that's still valid. Sure people can switch to get bonuses, but they have to wait 7 days to do so. Giving bonuses dependent on which planets are currently owned by the allied faction adds a time element (since the faction can lose it to another), and thus the 7 day window may mean they miss the bonuses. Alternatively, never give bonuses to mercs only permanent faction members. Or only a partial bonus or something. 5% merc bonus, 10% employee bonus, 15% family bonus, etc...

The mech part bonuses would also make a lot more sense if you had to keep buying mech parts. In otherwords bringing back repair and rearm costs, but with added faction/planet-ownership bonuses. eg: Kurita can repair jenner parts for 50% of the cost, while Steiner doesn't get any bonus for repairing Jenners, but they do for XL engines or something like that. (I'm sure its a bad example numerically, but you get the idea). This way there is somewhat of a money sink, and CW has risks to it. (Potentially lose money if you lose the match). PGI would definitely have to up the c-bill rewards though to make this worth it. Nobody is going to want to risk losing c-bills repairing their mechs if you only get paid 150-200k on a win. 300k-500k would make a lot more sense.

Additionally I'll also disagree, there certainly is somewhat of an effect on which mech's get used less because of prices. It might not be very significant, but it still has an effect. I don't play Assaults partially because of the cost (also I like fast mechs and can't stand going 50kmph).

Edited by Darth Futuza, 20 December 2014 - 01:01 PM.

#25 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:46 PM

You can't use R&R to encourage people to use faction mech unless R&R is actually implemented again and there has not been any talk about this. Logistics does not include R&R. Personally I also think R&R is a terrible idea, but that's a different topic.

And yes, the price of mechs does have some effect, but it dissipates with time. When I started playing, the cost of the Atlas frightened me, but now the price of a Dire Wolf is simply a goal for the mech that I want. If I want it, I'll get the C-bills, and once I got it, I can keep playing with it. Sooner or later, everyone will be able to afford all the Atlas'.
But also this has no effect on people who already have non-faction mechs. The price of the mech doesn't matter when you drop in a match, only when you buy it.
Also consider people joining CW simply to get a c-bill discount on a mech they just want to use in public queue. This should stay in CW.

LP bonuses work now, they work in a year. It works on new players, it works on old players and works no matter which mechs you currently have.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users