#12041 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:28 AM

View PostOdanan, on 09 February 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

Too expensive for a Kamikaze mech (why not using a VTOL or Hovercraft instead?), but at least it will put that MG ammo in good use.

The players were raiding a arms factory world owned by a Steiner (cadet branch), C-bills were their last concern, but using remotely operated Locust drones was cheap. each Locust missile was less than 1.5m C-bills, and each one could cripple an Atlas if they hit it right, well wroth the exchange rate there.

#12042 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:31 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 09 February 2016 - 07:57 AM, said:

So, as it happens, there already exists a 'Mech that does what it seems like you're looking to do. Posted Image

"The primary configuration appealed to the KungsArmé’s love of physical combat by mounting a three-pronged claw shaped Retractable Blade over a Plasma Cannon, supported by an ER PPC and ER Medium Laser in its left arm."

Posted Image

So, "Cuddles" might have two such three-pronged Retractable Blades as its "claws", backed up by TSM? Posted Image

Yeah... if one does a TSM punch, one can still pop a claw, yes?

And if the claws snap, not only does it have a spare, but also has the ability to do 20 pt punches, 40 pt jump kicks, etc.
Posted Image
SRM Ammo is light, but sufficient for Solaris 7, where Cuddles operates, piloted by what most presume is a freeborn clan warrior who answers to Ursus. All that is really known is that the massive pilot and his tech showed up on Solaris 7 in early 3062 with a brand new fully operational pink Kodiak 2. Over the course of the 3063 season they modified it to the above specs.

His signature move include grappling his opponents mechs while firing all his torso weapons point blank, usually followed by a fair of TSM enhanced "falcon punches".

View PostStrum Wealh, on 09 February 2016 - 09:30 AM, said:

MGs can be useful without resorting to power-gaming munchkinry - like all weapons, they have their niche, and I put a couple of them on my Misericorde to fill that niche. Posted Image

That being said, sacrificing half of the MG ammo & half-a-ton of armor to mount two more MGs (one in each side-torso) is a notion I would entertain as being a relatively-common refit (much like replacing the LRM launchers with SRM launchers).

and also, some of us don't play to MinMax, even in TT, but to "lore sensibilities". Using lasers or flamers for anti infantry is a good way to start city fires.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 09 February 2016 - 11:20 AM.

#12043 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:01 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 February 2016 - 10:31 AM, said:

Yeah... if one does a TSM punch, one can still pop a claw, yes?

And if the claws snap, not only does it have a spare, but also has the ability to do 20 pt punches, 40 pt jump kicks, etc.
Posted Image
SRM Ammo is light, but sufficient for Solaris 7, where Cuddles operates, piloted by what most presume is a freeborn clan warrior who answers to Ursus. All that is really known is that the massive pilot and his tech showed up on Solaris 7 in early 3062 with a brand new fully operational pink Kodiak 2. Over the course of the 3063 season they modified it to the above specs.

His signature move include grappling his opponents mechs while firing all his torso weapons point blank, usually followed by a fair of TSM enhanced "falcon punches".

Three Clan ERLLas seems a bit much for a Solaris fighter (which, by its nature, typically operates within a fairly-confined arena environment) that is otherwise set up for close-quarters combat (short-range missile launchers, TSM-supported melee weapons, and an ECM suite ostensibly added to mitigate range-focused opponents' ability to effectively attack until "Cuddles" has closed the distance)...? Posted Image

I'd be interesting in hearing more about your design process & the reasoning behind some of your decisions.

----------

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 February 2016 - 10:31 AM, said:

and also, some of us don't play to MinMax, even in TT, but to "lore sensibilities". Using lasers or flamers for anti infantry is a good way to start city fires.

Indeed - and that is part of why I designed the Misericorde as I did.

#12044 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 09 February 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

Three Clan ERLLas seems a bit much for a Solaris fighter (which, by its nature, typically operates within a fairly-confined arena environment) that is otherwise set up for close-quarters combat (short-range missile launchers, TSM-supported melee weapons, and an ECM suite ostensibly added to mitigate range-focused opponents' ability to effectively attack until "Cuddles" has closed the distance)...? Posted Image

I'd be interesting in hearing more about your design process & the reasoning behind some of your decisions.

----------

Indeed - and that is part of why I designed the Misericorde as I did.

Because it can still fire 2 of those lasers relatively safely at close range with the SRMs. But, there are Arena's with a lot of open space, from some set ups in the Steiner Coliseum to when the Davion One chooses a Boreal Map, etc. I had considered going with 2 LPL, but those really only added a little at closer ranges, and left it more bereft at longer ranges. Though about 2 Hvy Large Lasers, or even a triple of Medium Heavies, but heat and synchronicity issue,s as well as range.

Also, truth to tell, I don't always minmax for perfection... because well, lore. Sometimes it's come up with a concept, then shoehorn everything around it. I'd considered loading the Torsos with MGs or Smalls or even Micro Lasers, but Crits became an issue far too fast.

#12045 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:18 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 10 February 2016 - 06:41 AM.

#12046 MightyBolamite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:07 AM

Oh for goodness' sake! Posted Image Posted Image
Someone get the lifeguard's attention, Bishop has gone off the deep end again!Posted Image

#12047 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:42 AM

View PostMightyBolamite, on 10 February 2016 - 06:07 AM, said:

Oh for goodness' sake! Posted Image Posted Image
Someone get the lifeguard's attention, Bishop has gone off the deep end again!Posted Image

little known fact:

Bishop is an advanced scuba diver, rescue diver and experienced free diver. Therefore, Bishop LIVES off the deep end. ;)

#12048 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:29 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 February 2016 - 01:18 PM, said:

Posted Image

The Kodiak 1 armament, rather than the "Cuddles" armament? Posted Image

#12049 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:42 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 10 February 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

The Kodiak 1 armament, rather than the "Cuddles" armament? Posted Image

decided to stick with the original art for this, since Cuddles variant won't exist in game and I don't want them to confuse my desire to be for another Hero Mech. Did consider making it a Kodiak 2 armament, but drew the 4 lasers in the arm before I remembered

#12050 Uncle Totty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:05 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 February 2016 - 06:42 AM, said:

little known fact:

Bishop is an advanced scuba diver, rescue diver and experienced free diver. Therefore, Bishop LIVES off the deep end. Posted Image

Rumor has it his bloodline may also trace back to the sea god Poseidon. (But you did not hear that from me.) Posted Image

#12051 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:16 AM

View PostNathan K, on 10 February 2016 - 02:05 PM, said:

Rumor has it his bloodline may also trace back to the sea god Poseidon. (But you did not hear that from me.) Posted Image

Some say he is the fabled...Bill Brasky!
Posted Image

To Bill Bras.....I mean Bishop Steiner!

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 11 February 2016 - 07:17 AM.

#12052 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:00 PM

View PostOdanan, on 05 February 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

I must say: in June 27 we need to do a party here.

4 years of thread!
(It's been a long road getting from there to here)

I remember when it was just a wee little bebe thread too. :D

#12053 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

View Postcdlord, on 11 February 2016 - 02:00 PM, said:

I remember when it was just a wee little bebe thread too. Posted Image

It started small, but those were exciting times. Suddenly, kapow! - a concept art.

#12054 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:18 PM

Any new mech was a good surprise back then.
(well, except for the Spider and Quickdraw...)

#12055 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:29 AM

From the patch notes:

Never to be outdone, the Clans have begun production on the first of their Classic Totem 'Mechs. The 100-ton Kodiak Assault 'Mech approaches.

"First" Totem Mech... will there be more? And soon?

Boy, I really want to see the Black Lanner (and/or the Turkina) coming next.

EDIT: Black Lanner is better. There are only 2 Clan assault Omnimechs for packs and so many good mediums.

Edited by Odanan, 13 February 2016 - 05:34 AM.

#12056 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:13 AM

View PostOdanan, on 13 February 2016 - 05:29 AM, said:

From the patch notes:

"First" Totem Mech... will there be more? And soon?

Boy, I really want to see the Black Lanner (and/or the Turkina) coming next.

EDIT: Black Lanner is better. There are only 2 Clan assault Omnimechs for packs and so many good mediums.

Buy Odanan, the Black Lanner is bad! 55t Mech with 13t pod space, with the C and D variants having different locked slots than any other variant...
Yes the Black Lanner is faster than the Storm Crow, but it comes at a huge cost, a massively oversized Engine! The Huntsman would be a better choice 50t with 25t of Pod space...

But really the Coyotl would be best, the weapon locations would be like the Ebon Jaguar high mounts, it would give the Clans a viable 40t mech with a decent speed and weapons payload of 15t.

#12057 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:15 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 13 February 2016 - 06:13 AM, said:

Buy Odanan, the Black Lanner is bad! 55t Mech with 13t pod space, with the C and D variants having different locked slots than any other variant...
Yes the Black Lanner is faster than the Storm Crow, but it comes at a huge cost, a massively oversized Engine! The Huntsman would be a better choice 50t with 25t of Pod space...

But really the Coyotl would be best, the weapon locations would be like the Ebon Jaguar high mounts, it would give the Clans a viable 40t mech with a decent speed and weapons payload of 15t.

The Huntsman has the same (slow) speed, tonnage and jumpjets of the Nova, more free tonnage (a lot, actually), but a worst selection of hardpoints. It's a good mech, but wouldn't mind to wait for it.

The Black Lanner fits in a "Totem" pack, has ECM (in the best possible location), MASC (remember, MASC will be very good in a few days), it's very fast (speed is life), has a great selection of hardpoints (see Black Lanner C left arm with 6 energy) and actually could mount some deadly (energy) builds. And above it all, I'm really looking forward for a Black Lanner by Alex Iglesias.

Analysis on both mechs:
Spoiler

Edited by Odanan, 13 February 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#12058 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:26 AM

View PostOdanan, on 13 February 2016 - 07:15 AM, said:

The Huntsman has the same (slow) speed, tonnage and jumpjets of the Nova, more free tonnage (a lot, actually), but a worst selection of hardpoints. It's a good mech, but wouldn't mind to wait for it.

The Black Lanner fits in a "Totem" pack, has ECM (in the best possible location), MASC (remember, MASC will be very good in a few days), it's very fast (speed is life), has a great selection of hardpoints (see Black Lanner C left arm with 6 energy) and actually could mount some deadly (energy) builds. And above it all, I'm really looking forward for a Black Lanner by Alex Iglesias.

Analysis on both mechs:
[spoiler]

I understand all that, but ECM isn't as good as it used to be and as far as I'm concerned it should not be a factor for the inclusion of a Mech or not, especially one that violates Omni-mech construction rules in TT and would do it here too. The Black Lanner does just that, the locked armour and structure slots change in the C and D variants.

#12059 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:05 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 13 February 2016 - 07:26 AM, said:

I understand all that, but ECM isn't as good as it used to be and as far as I'm concerned it should not be a factor for the inclusion of a Mech or not, especially one that violates Omni-mech construction rules in TT and would do it here too. The Black Lanner does just that, the locked armour and structure slots change in the C and D variants.

Doens't the MWO's Hellbringer do the same thing? (because they replaced the Anti-personal Pods with armor)

#12060 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:25 AM

View PostOdanan, on 13 February 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

Doens't the MWO's Hellbringer do the same thing? (because they replaced the Anti-personal Pods with armor)

Not the same thing...

I'm talking about changing the places that are locked up by Endo and FF.

The Prime has 2 slots open in the LT and 4 in the RT
The Alpha has one in the LT and 5 RT
The Beta has 2 in the LT and 5 RT
The Charlie has 0 in the LT and 7 in the RT
The Delta has 3 in the LT and 3 in the RT

When I say open space, I mean space not used by Endo/FF/XL Engine. It should always have the open spaces set by the base chassis, but it seems to be exempt from that, thus violating Omni-mech construction rules.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook