#20503 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,522 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

View PostOdanan, on 17 August 2019 - 01:57 PM, said:

11,277 backers pledged $2,586,421 . . . Average backer investment . . . $229.35 US. While I still consider that quite the whaling expedition for a Kickstarter campaign, that's not what will be truly important for CGL. I'm now far more curious about the actual long-term potential for the products.

Battletech longevity matters far more than a successful kickstarter campagin. Funding molds and production lines means nothing if no one outside the kickstarter buys into the game. Sadly, that's beyond an uphill battle for CGL as Battletech has been considered a DEAD TT game for decades in most corners of the world. With the monumental risk-taking that CGL is doing with this move, a lack of long-term product success could prove fatal for them.

The real goal is going to see whether or not new models for mechs will bring in a new generation of Battletech fans. TT Wargame players are used to fast-paced games with highly detailed and high quality miniatures. While we all have our nostalgic favorites, we still have to admit that most of the old sculpts are pretty fugly by modern standards. The new beginner box, core box, clan box, and lance/star packs help set a baseline. They look good and appear to be respectable quality plastic minis. It's been quite the road for CGL over the past few years, but they're finally reaching the point of being competitive in the looks department.

On the other hand, support for Alpha Strike is spotty at best (especially with grognard pushback), and CGL has an infamously abyssmal support structure for vendors, distributors, and customers. Those are two big negatives going against them. One, the customer service, they can easily turn around with some actual effort in distributor and vendor outreach. The other, Alpha Strike, needs more significant support (and a serious attitude adjustment in the fan base) to help CGL succeed on any long-term scale. Of course, it could prove successful enough to just overshadow and swallow the grognards with an overwhelming amount of new blood . . . this generation of players who cut teeth on games like WarMachine, Hordes, new-gen (surprisingly streamlined) 40k rules, Heroclix, etc.

If CGL got smart, marketed the tiers of play as more seamless transitions (Alpha Strike for large battles, CBT for small battles, and AToW for nitty-gritty RPG), fixed the overall rules bloat (HBS DFA streams showed some good changes, and they need to streamline/fix a LOT), then they might just have a good chance at bringing in new blood for all levels of play. Overall, only time will tell whether the Kickstarter campaign is a true success for CGL, or whether the influx of money just staves off Battletech's currently slow spiral towards death. A definitively good sign will be whether regular game shops actually start carrying CGL's Battletech products again.

Regardless, it'll be fascinating to watch over the next few years.

#20504 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,124 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:19 AM

It's November 26. Where is the MW5 demo/beta?

#20505 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,124 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:15 PM

My impressions about the MW5 Beta: it's MW4 with MWO's looks. What more could you wish for?

#20506 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,231 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:45 PM

First reports inclines that there are extreme issues with boating MLs sounds like the old pinpoint issue combined with non twisting targets.
Well so no its MWO with MW5 looks, the weapon balance in MW4 was not perfect but clearly the best balance ever offered by any Mechwarrior Game

#20507 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:28 PM

Any improvements for the year long beta of MW5? It already sounds like something the modding community will need to fix.

It's been so dead around here it hasn't been worth checking in for what seems like a small age, so no rush on the replies.

#20508 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,124 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:33 AM

View PostSereglach, on 10 December 2019 - 03:28 PM, said:

Any improvements for the year long beta of MW5?

There game was released yesterday. It's not polished, but it's there.

I don't know what PGI will do in 2020, but I hope they will improve their product (AI, UI, more mission variety, bug killing and adding the few missing MWO chassis) instead of just focusing in the next DLCs.

Edited by Odanan, 11 December 2019 - 05:34 AM.

#20509 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 01:01 AM

View PostOdanan, on 11 December 2019 - 05:33 AM, said:

There game was released yesterday. It's not polished, but it's there.

I don't know what PGI will do in 2020, but I hope they will improve their product (AI, UI, more mission variety, bug killing and adding the few missing MWO chassis) instead of just focusing in the next DLCs.

You mean it came out on Epic . . . for its year-long Beta before it actually releases on polished publishing platforms like Steam and GOG.

They took almost an entire extra year for "polish" . . . if it didn't release polished after all of the Epic bribe money, then I only expect it to actually be polished by the players, through modding. Of course, the way Epic is going modding will probably only truly become viable once the game is released on actual polished publishing platforms that have modding support.

Sounds like despite all of our best hopes . . . PGI barely managed to push out a minimally viable product? If so, that's horribly disappointing.

#20510 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,540 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:57 AM

From what I have seen thus far, I am pretty happy I refunded my MW5 preorder.

Edited by Uncle Totty, 13 December 2019 - 01:57 AM.

#20511 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,124 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:37 AM

View PostUncle Totty, on 13 December 2019 - 01:57 AM, said:

From what I have seen thus far, I am pretty happy I refunded my MW5 preorder.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. UI is awkward but the mech combat is very solid.

#20512 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,124 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:31 PM

I played 10 hours of MW5 today.

#20513 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:08 PM

Shoot, it's been over a month. I am the sad for no more content. Has anyone been able to get any "future of content" info out of the MW5 side of things?

#20514 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,124 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:36 AM

View PostBarHaid, on 15 January 2020 - 04:08 PM, said:

Shoot, it's been over a month. I am the sad for no more content. Has anyone been able to get any "future of content" info out of the MW5 side of things?

They say nothing... maybe they are working on DLCs, or maybe they are working in a big expansion (Clan Invasion?).

I would appreciate a roadmap.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users