20517 replies to this topic

#14221 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:00 PM

View PostOdanan, on 07 August 2016 - 03:29 PM, said:

Come on, we already have the Marauder and the Marauder IIC. It's enough (even for someone like me who loves Marauders).

I was not exactly advocating the Mech when I said I have no idea what to do with it in MWO... Posted Image

If the next IS assault Mech needs to be a member of Marauder family, it should be the Nightstar. I for one prefer the Spartan when it comes to assault, but I would settle for a Charger.

#14222 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:47 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 07 August 2016 - 02:04 PM, said:

Though the "real" Marauder had plenty of rounded surfaces. Posted Image

Posted Image

That being said: the MWO aesthetics tends toward the IS-affiliated designs being characterized by angles & facets while Clan-affiliated designs feature more rounded surfaces.
As such, a MWO MAD-II should (IMO) be substantially more blocky and faceted than what has been shown for the MWO MAD-IIC (or, put another way, a MWO MAD-II should more closely resemble the MWO MAD than the MWO MAD-IIC), so that it fits the game's aesthetics.

Well, by that standard so did the MAD II
Posted Image

#14223 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:48 PM

View PostOdanan, on 07 August 2016 - 03:29 PM, said:

Come on, we already have the Marauder and the Marauder IIC. It's enough (even for someone like me who loves Marauders).

There is never enough Marauder. Posted Image Posted Image

#14224 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:49 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 07 August 2016 - 04:48 PM, said:

There is never enough Marauder. Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

you sure about that? Posted Image

#14225 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:45 PM

Good lord, I had forgotten how scrawny and chicken legged the Marauder was on the 3025. Thanks for that flashback, Bishop.

#14226 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:52 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 August 2016 - 05:49 PM, said:

Posted Image

you sure about that? Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes - for a sufficiently well-done rendition, I could live with it. Posted Image

#14227 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:57 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 07 August 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

Posted Image

Yes - for a sufficiently well-done rendition, I could live with it. Posted Image

truth to tell, as much as I love Macross, and the original Marauder was part of my introduction to Battletech?

I really wish they had had Alex go with his rendition of the Reseen. At least it actuall makes some small amount of mechanical sense, being able to actually WALK (the Glaug leg design quite literally cannot) and those pipe cleaner arms......

hich is one of my biggest knocks on the MWO version, too. Instead of pipe cleaners it's got these thick, stubby things... but the lore of the Marauder series "Though its twin PPC arrangement is reminiscent of more traditional ´Mechs such as the Rifleman and the Warhammer, the Marauder´s unique, more versatile ball-and-socket arm joints give it a faster traverse rate and a greater field of fire."

The reseen still had a little bit of it. The NewSeen of MWO? MEH.

#14228 LastKhan

Defender of Star League

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationIn Dropship DogeCafe

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:06 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 August 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

truth to tell, as much as I love Macross, and the original Marauder was part of my introduction to Battletech?

I really wish they had had Alex go with his rendition of the Reseen. At least it actuall makes some small amount of mechanical sense, being able to actually WALK (the Glaug leg design quite literally cannot) and those pipe cleaner arms......

hich is one of my biggest knocks on the MWO version, too. Instead of pipe cleaners it's got these thick, stubby things... but the lore of the Marauder series "Though its twin PPC arrangement is reminiscent of more traditional ´Mechs such as the Rifleman and the Warhammer, the Marauder´s unique, more versatile ball-and-socket arm joints give it a faster traverse rate and a greater field of fire."

The reseen still had a little bit of it. The NewSeen of MWO? MEH.

See, i dislike all of the Marauder and all of its variations. An icon of the mere plebimus maximus of mechwarriors. See how it copies this beautiful piece of machinery that only the true blue elite would pilot. This would beat a MK2 in two, count em, TWO salvos of its Ultra 20!

Blitzkrieg!

Posted Image

Edited by LastKhan, 07 August 2016 - 07:54 PM.

#14229 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:32 PM

That is, without a doubt, one of the worst looking mechs I have ever seen. Beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all, but for chrissakes! What monstrosity IS that?

Edited by Ghostrider0067, 07 August 2016 - 07:33 PM.

#14230 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:43 PM

The Blitzkreig. Take a 50 tonner, strap biggest engine it can reasonably fit on (350XL), squeeze in Ultra/20 and ammo.

And it's ugly. Boooooooooooooy is it ugly.

Posted Image

#14231 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:50 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 07 August 2016 - 08:43 PM, said:

The Blitzkreig. Take a 50 tonner, strap biggest engine it can reasonably fit on (350XL), squeeze in Ultra/20 and ammo.

And it's ugly. Boooooooooooooy is it ugly.

Posted Image

Dude. Pretty much that whole TRO looks like total butt

#14232 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:03 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 August 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

Dude. Pretty much that whole TRO looks like total butt

It's the second ugliest design.

Number one is the Yeoman. METAL MISSILE BOXES.

#14233 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:19 PM

View PostKael Posavatz, on 07 August 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

So in 2017 we get a time-jump to 3066?

Cue C3 systems, ATM, and other assorted weapons...or don't?

Mad Kat Mk II aside pretty much every Clan mech that has missile launchers at this point uses ATMs. If variable munitions aren't working (and PGI previously said could not/would not LB-x) it pretty much makes the ATM pointless. And we already effectively have C3. But all those other weapons and systems will make an already difficult balancing job that much harder.

Would love to see it, but not at the expense of the rage to follow.

Eh, you are assuming They want to add future tech. Russ said he perfectly comfortable adding in future mechs that use current tech in the near future (2017). And with the MAD IIC and its made up stuffs, expect similar on the Mk II, maybe if the same route copied some hard points off the Timberwolf? THEORY CRAFTERS GO!

#14234 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:06 PM

View PostCK16, on 07 August 2016 - 09:19 PM, said:

Eh, you are assuming They want to add future tech. Russ said he perfectly comfortable adding in future mechs that use current tech in the near future (2017). And with the MAD IIC and its made up stuffs, expect similar on the Mk II, maybe if the same route copied some hard points off the Timberwolf? THEORY CRAFTERS GO!

Yep, he does say that. He also says he wants to return to alternating IS and Clan packages.

Also that he wants packages to have 'faction' stuff where possible. The way the K2 is a DC variant of that Catapult, etc.

Except that... Most future Combine mechs have C3 systems. Almost all Clan mechs using missiles mount the ATM. Mad Kat II is one of the few that didn't, in part because the Sharks wanted to sell it to the Inner Sphere.

#14235 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:46 AM

I am curious now....If (and let's assume when) we get new tech. What will happen for the real varriants?

I can't ask Russ probably, I used my 1 question for the quarter in that 7 part tweet >.<

But idk, it's not to big of a deal I guess for now. I mean MW:LL had almost all made up varriants and did fine right?

#14236 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:10 AM

View PostCK16, on 08 August 2016 - 06:46 AM, said:

I am curious now....If (and let's assume when) we get new tech. What will happen for the real varriants?

I can't ask Russ probably, I used my 1 question for the quarter in that 7 part tweet >.<

But idk, it's not to big of a deal I guess for now. I mean MW:LL had almost all made up varriants and did fine right?

There is a few pieces of advanced weapons that I too am interested to see if or how PGI would implement them, things like the RAC/2, RAC/5, HAG/20, HAG/30, HAG/40, LAC/2, LAC/5, MML and ATM all spring to mind, as they all have a property or two that would either obsolete current models or have a mechanism that is unique to themselves.

The HAG/s I could see them being burst fire like the Clan UAC/s, RAC/'s would likely be that way as well... but RAC/s have a shot variable as they can do single to 6 rounds, so perhaps a 'charge' firing mechanism?

LAC/s are just out right better than normal AC/'s, being smaller and lighter versions of the 2 and 5 with nearly identical range.

The MML's would suffer the same problems of the LB with switching ammo types, the ATM's could be done by scaling damage, short = 3 damage/missile, medium = 2 damage/missile and long = 1 damage/missile.

#14237 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:39 AM

depends on who you ask.

I never found the MWLL servers to be that heavily populated at any time I was ever on. I think more people were still playing MekTek MW4, tbh. A lot more. That tells me that maybe MWLL wasn't quite as amazing as some of it's proponents claim.

It wasn't bad by any means, especially considering. I like a lot of the elements, map size and composition, etc. But they also were nowhere near as detailed. *shrugs* Different approaches, different preferences.

Likely nothing. There probably wont be enough impetus for sales to introduce them. So we'll largely have nothing but made up ones. We might see one added as a Loyalty Chassis or something, but that would be about the extent.

I mean we can't even get a BJ-2, Grand Dragon or Summoner M, and they all use existing tech (and the SMN-M art assets are in the game files already).

#14238 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:57 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 August 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

depends on who you ask.

I never found the MWLL servers to be that heavily populated at any time I was ever on. I think more people were still playing MekTek MW4, tbh. A lot more. That tells me that maybe MWLL wasn't quite as amazing as some of it's proponents claim.

It wasn't bad by any means, especially considering. I like a lot of the elements, map size and composition, etc. But they also were nowhere near as detailed. *shrugs* Different approaches, different preferences.

Likely nothing. There probably wont be enough impetus for sales to introduce them. So we'll largely have nothing but made up ones. We might see one added as a Loyalty Chassis or something, but that would be about the extent.

I mean we can't even get a BJ-2, Grand Dragon or Summoner M, and they all use existing tech (and the SMN-M art assets are in the game files already).

Well Russ did say this year's loyalty chassis will be said soon. Hopefully we get some of those. As it stands it's crappy cause imo they ever do add new tech that should be what the Marauder IIC should be given with in most of its varriants. Oh well I guess though....I mean to me it's not the end of the world. I think many are just happy to have the name really. Same will go for the other IIC mechs coming down the works.

Also your sign #may2017? What does that mean lol?

Also by my math, if the MK II will be seen in game next year it would have to be announced about a year from now. So there is that to chew on the earliest maybe 6 months out from announcement since they have said they usually have the next 5 laid out ahead at any given time.

Makes you wonder who will take trophy for first future mech I game? Place your bets!

#14239 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:03 AM

Frankly it depends on what PGI actually puts in the game, and most of it I could seen potential for upsetting a great many people. And that's not even getting into the issue of game-balance.

We essentially already have C3, so what additional incentives could be made to run with it? (And bear in mind, that a team-oriented approach may work for groups, but if it's an 'everyone should be able...' then it needs to be a plus for an individual, not a lance).

Without the ability to use multiple ammunition types in a single battle, ATM is pointless. Since the ATM supplants conventional LRM and SRM launchers in pretty much all the Clan mechs (except for a very few cost-saving measures, or intended for sale to IS), this could be a big sticking point for Clan loyalists who PGI would expect to be able to sell Clan packages to.

Triple-Strength Myomer? You'd have to run hot to get the speed boost. Both sides develop it, but Clan mechs naturally run hotter anyway so they'd probably benefit more. (Of course, you can't put it into an Omni-not equipped with it so that keeps it from eighty percent of the Clan Mechs anyway).

Rotary AC? I see these things being a balancing nightmare, especially if the mechanic is left that IS AC-rating= damage/shot whereas the Clans have a 'burst'-equivalent to damage rating.

Mostly I think the lasers really spell it out. the IS get X-pulse lasers to increase range. the Clans pull out heavy lasers to increase damage. Both sides are offset with extra heat. straight comparison of the medium X-pulse and Heavy medium lasers are weapons with similar range and heat, the heavy does half-again the damage and runs a third-again as hot, and one 1 ton/2slots and the other 2 ton/1slot (this is from memory so feel free to check my numbers, but they should be close). Toss the weapons we already have into the mix and how well people use the maps will become more decisive than the weapon performance. QP maps are pretty good in this regard, but the range/style of fighting of most Invasion maps give an edge to IS.

Allow me to posit a scenario:
The Heavy lasers run too hot so the Clans won't use them. The X-pulse lasers overcome the shortcomings of the IS standard lasers, so quirks (especially armor/structure) will become decisive. Cut back the quirks, and now it is impossible to live long enough using standard lasers (because all weapons have to matter). Or make the Heavy lasers just cool enough to use, and now the IS structure/armor needs to be buffed again or they IS mechs won't live even with X-pulse lasers, and two hours after patchs hordes of RAC-toting Jagers show up and tear apart the heavy-laser-equipped... Meanwhile, the ammunition thing hasn't been fixed, but the Clans have a choice of 3/6/9/12-tube launchers for SRM, LRM, and HE (24 new launchers when you consider the Artemis Variant). Players are encouraged to take the 12-tube LRM launcher because it is better than the 20-tube LRM despite being heavier (volley fire Clan LRMs?).

#14240 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:09 AM

View PostCK16, on 08 August 2016 - 07:57 AM, said:

Well Russ did say this year's loyalty chassis will be said soon. Hopefully we get some of those. As it stands it's crappy cause imo they ever do add new tech that should be what the Marauder IIC should be given with in most of its varriants. Oh well I guess though....I mean to me it's not the end of the world. I think many are just happy to have the name really. Same will go for the other IIC mechs coming down the works.

Also your sign #may2017? What does that mean lol?

Also by my math, if the MK II will be seen in game next year it would have to be announced about a year from now. So there is that to chew on the earliest maybe 6 months out from announcement since they have said they usually have the next 5 laid out ahead at any given time.

Makes you wonder who will take trophy for first future mech I game? Place your bets!

what is tentatively scheduled to be released in May 2017?

Perhaps as a Clanner you are unaware... shame. Posted Image

62 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 62 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook