#1701 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostButane9000, on 20 January 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

I'd make one of those hope posters with the banshee and the date of 01-23-13 but I'm bad at that stuff.

As for ECM Odanan they need to balance a whole lot more. If Sarna is to be believed they chose to go off the ECM the Draconis Combine created which weighed as much as an AC5 (8 tons) and took up multiple critical slots. That would balance it out. But they also need to rework how other tech in this game works.

ECM - Cloak yourself from long range sensors, TAG & NARC nullify this. Slow down LRM and SSRM locks within the radius of ECM (180m). Counter BAP within range. 2 tons, 3 critical slots.

BAP - 180m radius. All enemy mechs appear as targets for team mates. A target has to remain in the 180m radius. Will beep when being countered by ECM. 1.5 tons, 2 critical slots.

TAG - Enemy units hit by TAG have their ECM negated. Can be targeted normally and lock on times revert to normal.

NARC - Enemy units that have a NARC attached to them can be seen by all opposing players and fired at for the duration of the NARC beacon.

LRMs & SSRMs - Locks will not be negated completely when within an enemies ECM radius. Locks will increase the time it takes to lock on by 25-50%. TAG or NARC nullify this effect. SSRMs remain uneffected by the bonuses of NARC and TAG. LRMs will retain any bonuses associated with TAG or NARC.

Now that sounds completely reasonable doesn't it?

Yes. But I do not agree in changing the tonnage and critical space of any weapon, for several reasons (including the fact that this invalidates stock variants).

ECM being nerfed as you said and available to all light and medium mechs/variants should put an end to the issue.

#1702 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostOdanan, on 20 January 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

ECM being nerfed as you said and available to all light and medium mechs/variants should put an end to the issue.

If we do so, we'll have the Jenner problem all over again.

Why take a Raven when you cna take a Jenner that does everything better?

#1703 RagingOyster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 462 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Agreed that ECM should definitely not be available for all lights/meds. That would just make several mechs totally invalid (Raven, Commando, Centurion etc) and break the game hard. I also agree, though, that ECM should be changed slightly. Primarily, it should be countered by TAG, NARC and BAP and it should not have a radius. Rather it should effect only the mech it is equipped on. It should also only increase lock-on times, not make locking on impossible.

#1704 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

View PostAdridos, on 20 January 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

If we do so, we'll have the Jenner problem all over again.

Why take a Raven when you cna take a Jenner that does everything better?

Dang, Adridos. Sometimes you are a pain.

The ECM should not be used to balance weak variants/mechs. There are ways to improve a mech (like torso twist and - specially - additional modules).

Let me fix your statement:

Why take a non-ECM Raven when you can take an ECM Raven that does everything better?

What happens now is that people don't play with non-ECM Light Mechs anymore. That's just wrong.

#1705 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostOdanan, on 20 January 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

Dang, Adridos. Sometimes you are a pain.

The ECM should not be used to balance weak variants/mechs. There are ways to improve a mech (like torso twist and - specially - additional modules).

Let me fix your statement:

Why take a non-ECM Raven when you can take an ECM Raven that does everything better?

What happens now is that people don't play with non-ECM Light Mechs anymore. That's just wrong.

Hey O, let me fix your statement for ya.. :huh:

What happens now is that many people don't play with non-ECM Light Mechs anymore. That's just wrong.

I dont choose to play light 'Mechs often but some of the ECM craze with the exception of 8-Mans has died down and people do play non-ECM lights. I have recently seen a resurgence in Jenner's even. Will they stand a chance against a Raven? Probably not. The Raven has more issues than the fact that it mounts ECM but I wont go into those because I do not wish your wonderful thread to devovle into a place where people come to QQ about things like that. -_-

#1706 Phoenix Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Zues on 01/23/2013.

Posted Image

Edited by Maverick01, 20 January 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#1707 Norris J Packard

• 1,972 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

How horrifying.

#1708 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Perhaps we might generally keep the ECM discussion generally relegated to Odanan's ECM thread in the suggestions forum, while this thread is in the business of predicting upcoming 'Mechs? :)

-----

If the "first 32" statement from NGNG is indeed accurate and doesn't include the Clans' Invasion-era OmniMechs, then there might be three more sets of "Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault" after BattleMech 20.

So, some possibilities for 'Mechs that could be in the next sets, by class...
Light 'Mechs:
  • Firestarter (FS9-H, FS9-K, FS9-M2, FS9-S1)
  • Hermes (HER-1S, HER-1A, HER-3S/S1/S2)
  • Hussar (HSR-200-D, HSR-300-D, HSR-350-D)
  • Javelin (JVN-10N, JVN-10F, JVN-10P)
  • Mongoose (MON-66, MON-70, MON-67, MON-68)
  • Thorn (THE-N, THE-S, THE-T)
  • UrbanMech (UM-R60, UM-R60L, UM-R63 (Pulse Laser variant)/UM-R63 (MGun variant))
Medium 'Mechs: Heavy 'Mechs: Assault 'Mechs:
  • Banshee (BNC-3E, BNC-3M, BNC-3Q, BNC-3S, BNC-MC)
  • Charger (CGR-1A1, CGR-1L, CGR-1A5, CGR-1A9, CGR-3K)
  • Cyclops (CP-10-Z, CP-10-Z-DC, CP-10-Q, CP-11-A, CP-11-A-DC, CP-11-C)
  • Hatamoto-Chi (HTM-26T, HTM-27T, HTM-27U/C/CM, HTM-27V, HTM-27W, HTM-27Y)
  • Victor (VTR-9B, VTR-9A, VTR-9A1, VTR-9S, VTR-9D/K)
  • Zeus (ZEU-6S, ZEU-5S, ZEU-5T, ZEU-6T, ZEU-6S-DC, ZEU-9S, ZEU-9S-DC)
The issue with the Victor's arms (which would be shared by the HGN-733C variant of the Highlander) could be resolved by slaving both arms and the arm-reticule to the most restrictive firing arc.

The above lists do not include the Unseen, 'Mechs exclusive to non-state organizations (ComStar, WoB, Wolf's Dragoons), Clan-built 'Mechs, or 'Mechs that do not have at least three variants in production (or producible) as of 3050.

Your thoughts?

Edited by Strum Wealh, 20 January 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#1709 Rodrigo Martinez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Nova, need Nova. Because 9 medium lasers is not enough to spread my battle rage among the enemies from above!

#1710 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:23 AM

View PostRodrigo Martinez, on 21 January 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

Nova, need Nova. Because 9 medium lasers is not enough to spread my battle rage among the enemies from above!

Then buy a ticket to northern Periphery. :(

#1711 0Life

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

I know there is a list and some of it we are not privy to, but I really would love to see the Wasp in game. A 20 ton with an energy weapon, streaks and JJ? Gasp, and no ECM for people to flip out about.

#1712 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:29 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 20 January 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

Perhaps we might generally keep the ECM discussion generally relegated to Odanan's ECM thread in the suggestions forum, while this thread is in the business of predicting upcoming 'Mechs? ;)

Agreed...

If the "first 32" statement from NGNG is indeed accurate and doesn't include the Clans' Invasion-era OmniMechs, then there might be three more sets of "Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault" after BattleMech 20.

32 looks like a number of IS mechs indeed... but I think the next 12 are going to appear AFTER the clans.

So, some possibilities for 'Mechs that could be in the next sets, by class...
Light 'Mechs:
  • UrbanMech (UM-R60, UM-R60L, UM-R63 (Pulse Laser variant)/UM-R63 (MGun variant))

I was impressed by looking at the faction tables of how the Firestarter is a common mech. It is used by ALL houses and it appears only after the UrbanMech in numbers. Even if it's another 35 tons, I think it should be the next Light Mech.

Medium 'Mechs:

I personally don't like the Clint, but it could work very well in MWO. We need another speedy medium.

Heavy 'Mechs:

The Champion is cool, but it is very similar to the Dragon...
All other are laser boats - I would choose the Guillotine. In the tables, I discovered that the Guillotine is (slightly) more common than the Grasshopper. It has more variants and it looks much better - so I have no doubts it should be the next Heavy.

Assault 'Mechs:
The issue with the Victor's arms (which would be shared by the HGN-733C variant of the Highlander) could be resolved by slaving both arms and the arm-reticule to the most restrictive firing arc.

Banshee and Zeus/or/Charger (one for 5th asault mech and the other for 6th).

The above lists do not include the Unseen, 'Mechs exclusive to non-state organizations (ComStar, WoB, Wolf's Dragoons), Clan-built 'Mechs, or 'Mechs that do not have at least three variants in production (or producible) as of 3050.

Thank you.

#1713 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:19 AM

Light 'Mechs:

From light mechs, we probably won't see the Urbanmech, since it defies the rules to become more crappy.
Firestarter is a very solid choice altough not very interesting.
Hermes and Hussar are interesting, but they'd have to create a massively stable netcode if they want to contain beasts going 150kp/h+ stock.
Mongoose is a smaller Jenner, even lacking JJs.
Javelin is a Commando, well, maybe even a worse Commando if we don't count JJs.
The Thorn is a pretty crappy mech all in all.

Medium 'Mechs:

Starting with Assassin, it is a good mech, but it's not a medium, it's another oversized light just like the Cicada.
Clint is a solid medium, altouh it is really close to Centurion in just about everything.
Dervish is a medium between the Trebuchet and Catapult and we have both of those, no need for another.
Hermes II is a just-just choice. It is really close to Clint, but lacks it's JJs.
Kintaro... no idea on this mech.
Sentinel is another Clint/Hermes II, but it has an actually interetsing parts to it.
Vindicator. No need to comment, you know I'd love to have it in the game and I voiced my reasoning bilion times already.
Vulcan is an odd thing, since we all know how well the 4xMG Cicada plays.
Withworth is the Trebchet/Catapult/Dervish all over again.

#1714 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

Light 'Mechs:

My guess is the Hermes, Firestarter and Javelin for lights. They are fast and/or common or both. Plus IGP hasn't shown aversion to having multiple of one weight class (Raven/Jenner, Hunchback/Centurion/Trebichet).

Medium 'Mechs:

I truly belive the Vindicator and Sentinel will be implemented in the game. The only question is what would they do besides those two. Probably Dervish or Kintaro to fill the tonnage gap.

Heavy 'Mechs:

Quickdraw out of that list. Maybe the Grasshopper as it'd give us another jump jet heavy. The Lancelot could give us an energy based Jagermech but I believe a variant of the Jagermech exists that does that already.

@Sturm - Why isn't the Flashman or Black Knight on here? I thought they were common for the time, or is it they don't have enough variants or the variants aren't all that different.

Assault 'Mechs:

Banshee and the Zeus are both shoo ins. But the last spot will be a toss up between the Hatamoto-Chi, Cyclops and the Charger.

#1715 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Definitely the Firestarter. I called it since years. Six energy HP's, two ballistic HP's and JJ's! IMO it's interesting enough. It could be one of the best light Mechs.

I agree with Adridos. The Vindicator is an excellent choice, but there is still a gap in the 55 ton class. Kintaro and Dervish are both nice Mechs, but very similar to the Trebuchet. I miss the 55 ton Hoplite on the list! It su cks, but hey... we have a Spider, so anything can happen! Anything is possible! :D

I'm a big fan of the Champion, but Odanan said it before and he's right. It's too similar to the Dragon. I like the Grasshopper and i can imagine it as the next heavy weight. The fugly Guillotine is a no go! Odanan hates it, but i still want my Black Knight! :P

BANSHEE !!! Nuff said!

View PostOdanan, on 21 January 2013 - 04:29 AM, said:

I was impressed by looking at the faction tables of how the Firestarter is a common mech. It is used by ALL houses and it appears only after the UrbanMech in numbers. Even if it's another 35 tons, I think it should be the next Light Mech.

Your word in gods ears!

Edited by The Birdeater, 21 January 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#1716 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Solid choices for the next round of mechs...

Light - Firestarter
Medium - Vindicator
Heavy - Black Knight
Assault - Banshee (assuming Zeus is BattleMech 20)

#1717 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostButane9000, on 21 January 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

@Sturm - Why isn't the Flashman or Black Knight on here? I thought they were common for the time, or is it they don't have enough variants or the variants aren't all that different.

The Flashman doesn't have enough of its variants "currently" available:
  • FLS-8K: 2701
  • FLS-7K: 2796
  • FLS-9C: 3061
  • FLS-C: 3063
  • FLS-9B: 3068
  • FLS-9M: 3070
It's only got two variants invented (with the original, "archetypical" FLS-8K out of production until 3054, on top of that (pg. 214, TRO 3050 Upgrade)) for the next in-universe decade, rather than the three needed for the game's XP/Elite unlock system.

-----

The Black Knight is a more interesting case.

It has more variants, and more variants that were invented prior to 3050:
  • BL-6-KNT: 2578
  • BK-6b-KNT: 2751
  • BL-7-KNT: 2809
  • BL-7-KNT-L: 2809
  • BL-6-KNT "Ian": 3039
  • BL-9-KNT: 3052
  • BL-10-KNT "Ross": 3055
  • BL-6-RR: 3057
  • BL-12-KNT: 3063
The "Ian" and "Ross" variants are the unique, personal variants of Ian McKinnon and Ross McKinnon, respectively - and the variants that bear their names are, in fact, the same (long-lived) individual 'Mech (and a potential Hero 'Mech :P).

While there are extant examples (the McKinnons had one) and the relevant technologies have been recovered, the "archetypical" BL-6-KNT is actually out of production until 3065 (pg. 212, TRO 3050 Upgrade).

The BL-6b-KNT variant was reserved for the Star League Royal BattleMech regiments (pg. 212, TRO 3050 Upgrade) - there would never have been many, and they would have either left with Kerensky or been destroyed during the Succession Wars.
(And a few other 'Mechs have SLDF variants that haven't been implemented, so it seems like the Devs may be avoiding them.)

The BL-9-KNT is unique to ComStar, isn't produced until early 3052 (during the lead-up to Tukayyid), and is one of their "Clanbuster" 'Mechs (and requires a 5-ton Hatchet, so it likely wouldn't be available at all until advanced melee is implemented).

That basically leaves the BL-7-KNT and BL-7-KNT-L as the only variants being actively produced... where the difference is that the latter switches out the former's PPC for a Large Laser and two Heat Sinks.

Though, the Black Knight is an interesting case because the LosTech needed for the primary variant (Endo Steel and BAP) have long-since been recovered in-universe, which puts the BL-6-KNT in the same situation as the primary/"archetypical" variant of the Highlander - the Gauss-toting HGN-732 is actually out of production until 3057 (pg. 220, TRO 3050 Upgrade), though there are existing examples out-and-about (Rhonda Snord's and Davis McCall's personal 'Mechs, and a few that ComStar "mistakenly"(?) gave to the DCMS in 3039) and all of the requisite LosTech (FF Armor and Gauss Rifles) has long since been recovered.
And not only was the Highlander (featuring a Gauss Rifle, no less!) announced as BattleMech 17, but Garth stated in Ask the Devs 20 that the only variant he could confirm at the time (Oct. 08, 2012) was the HGN-732 (though, whether that would be as a c-bill variant or a Hero 'Mech was not specified).

So, I left out the Black Knight on the grounds that it should be disqualified, as it is known and confirmed that only two variants (with one being a single-weapon-switch field refit of the other) are actually in active production - however, the Highlaner does set a precedent where the Black Knight could be a technical possibility.

In fact, there was a thread from back in October where the same question - and the same information - came up, which (at least, in part) fueled the conclusion that the then-yet-to-be-announced 75-tonner essentially had to be the Orion.

Edited by Strum Wealh, 21 January 2013 - 12:31 PM.

#1718 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

if the next mech is finally the Zeus, i´ll consider naming my firstborn "Garth" :P ( no matter the gender!!!!!!! )

#1719 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostEns, on 21 January 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

if the next mech is finally the Zeus, i´ll consider naming my firstborn "Garth" :P ( no matter the gender!!!!!!! )

Don't do this to your yet to be born daughter!

#1720 Terin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationKalidasa, FWL

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Something to consider... which in some fashion I am sure you already have. But some statistics. Of the currently announced mech's the intial release age (canon) average is 2697. The two outliers (in the calculation) are Raven with introduction in 3048 and Cataphract in 3025. I would adjust for this: Banshee - 2445, Zeus - 2787, Hatamoto-Chi - 3039, Charger - 2665, Cyclops - 2710, Annihilator - 2779. I would suggest that the Hatamoto-Chi is even less likely to be choosen based on this statistic.

Edited by Terin, 21 January 2013 - 03:18 PM.

78 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 78 guests, 0 anonymous users