#19161 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:11 PM

In case you have not seen it:
https://mwomercs.com...next-mech-pack/

(Not that I believe what I 'guessed' is the most likely guess, but having a Crusader pack would be fine).

#19162 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:13 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 29 May 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

(Not that I believe what I 'guessed' is the most likely guess, but having a Crusader pack would be fine).

Thanks for the link to it, I suggested Hammerhands.

#19163 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:23 PM

Wammy IIC here, be our 2nd 80t finally.

#19164 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:26 PM

View PostCK16, on 29 May 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

Wammy IIC here, be our 2nd 80t finally.

As much as I love the Warhammer IIC (4), I think the Phoenix Hawk IIC would be the better choice, both in terms of hard point mounts (types and locations) and the ability to not look like a Strike Valkyrie are strong points for it being a better choice.

#19165 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:28 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 29 May 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, I was too late for the Fire Falcon.

Getting the Crusader would be amazing, but June is Clan mech turn.

View PostMetus regem, on 29 May 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

As much as I love the Warhammer IIC (4), I think the Phoenix Hawk IIC would be the better choice, both in terms of hard point mounts (types and locations) and the ability to not look like a Strike Valkyrie are strong points for it being a better choice.

Agreed!

#19166 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:39 PM

View PostOdanan, on 29 May 2018 - 02:28 PM, said:

Getting the Crusader would be amazing, but June is Clan mech turn.

I know, that's why I consider my choice an unlikely one. However there are very, very few Clan Mechs left I am really interested in, and all of them are dark horses. So I had to guess something unlikely either way...

But if PGI actually releases the Stooping Hawk, I'll be most unlucky.

#19167 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:40 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 29 May 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

But if PGI actually releases the Stooping Hawk, I'll be most unlucky.

We'll all be.

Edited by Odanan, 29 May 2018 - 02:40 PM.

#19168 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:43 PM

I missed out on the Vapor Eagle, Fire Falcon & Hellion, so had to decide between the Rabid Coyote & Crimson Langur. In the end, I think the Rabid Coyote brings more new options to the table.

#19169 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

View PostOdanan, on 29 May 2018 - 02:40 PM, said:

We'll all be.

And that coming from someone who advocated Uziel, Hellspawn, and Black Lanner... Posted Image

Of course the Vapor Eagle would be the single best choice for Clan mediums, and compared to that one every other choice looks bad. ...which is a bit sad, since there are many nice Clan mediums. The Stooping Hawk could work if geared towards survivability, thanks to its CT/H-line hardpoints (like 2x SRM6, 1x ERLL), and would bring something new.

#19170 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

Dang it, I should've voted for the Coyotl! Ugh fail on my part....

#19171 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:50 PM

Meh I just dislike the Pheonixhawk IIC for that whole jazzhands and Gundam look. Not a fan of that artstyle entering MWO. And rather not risk it ever seeing here a bit lol.

Edited by CK16, 29 May 2018 - 03:51 PM.

#19172 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:56 PM

View PostCK16, on 29 May 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

Meh I just dislike the Pheonixhawk IIC for that whole jazzhands and Gundam look. Not a fan of that artstyle entering MWO. And rather not risk it ever seeing here a bit lol.

See the reeseen art of the pixi IIC, no Jazz Hands.

#19173 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:46 AM

View PostCK16, on 29 May 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

Meh I just dislike the Pheonixhawk IIC for that whole jazzhands and Gundam look. Not a fan of that artstyle entering MWO.

Spoiler

#19174 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:35 AM

Most of my usual votes were already taken in the "guess the next pack" thread, so I dug deep in Sarna.

I ruled out IS chassis on the assumption that ClanTech is next in the rotation. I decided against a heavy because Hellfire was last pack. It gets dicey after that because they could perfectly well go assault again, but we just had the Blood Asp. Lights make them less money, so I don't expect more than one chassis for each tech base in a 12-month span (kinda arbitrary, but it's enough for me to rule it out of a guessing thread).

That left me with ClanTech mediums, so I trawled through Sarna's mech pages and came up with a ClanTech medium battlemech with currently available (edit:) [i]tech[i/] that no one else had (or probably would) guess:

The Pinion: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Pinion

Ironically, the 3rd variant would be nerfed by Chris's ClanTech Laser Ghost Heat Nerf-a-Palooza.

I acknowledge this is an unlikely choice because it's so obscure, but this is how I made the most of my guess ;)

Edited by Virlutris, 30 May 2018 - 08:36 AM.

#19175 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

View PostVirlutris, on 30 May 2018 - 08:35 AM, said:

Aye, another testbed 'mech for Heavy lasers, along with the announced Hellfire. I can dig it.

#19176 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:13 AM

Perhaps a word on the Stooping Hawk, since not everyone has access to the RS:3060 detailing the Mech configurations. Of course it must be stressed that it is no Vapor Eagle in terms of performance but that does not make it useless.

Yes, the STD-engine limits podspace to effectively 19 tons, which is on the low side given its average speed of 81-87 kph, yet I consider it workable.

The interesting part is that the Stooping Hawk features a number of centreline hardpoints. Combined with the STD-engine and the small size of Clan weapons this results in a zombie potential we have not yet seen. The Clans in MWO have nothing even remotely similar, and the IS counterparts have much weaker firepower (which precisely is why nobody is using them in zombie-mode anymore).

With the Stooping Hawk you could run 4x ERML in the arms, 1x ERLL in the head, and 2x SRM6 in the CT. The missiles and the large laser are centreline mounted, so you can lose both STs and keep a non-trivial amount of firepower – especially in late game engagements. You are also jump capable and not slow. Alternatively, two centreline ERLL are possible, and may be combined with more lasers, missiles or ballistics.

Again, it is not the best Clan medium (that is the Vapor Eagle) but I can totally see it work. And it has some novelty to it being a tanky Clan Mech of which there are not many to put it mildly. Ideally it plays more like a classic IS medium. I think that is an interesting niche.

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 30 May 2018 - 08:44 AM, said:

Aye, another testbed 'mech for Heavy lasers, along with the announced Hellfire. I can dig it.

Actually TRO:3067 includes a number of very interesting Clan Mechs. Crimson Langur, Arcas, Rabid Coyote, Spirit, Burrock...
I am just not sure about the Pinion seeing that it caps at 87 kph, which is not ideal for a 45t Mech, but the hardpoints are surely good.

Funny enough, it has so many lasers (and thus hardpoints) because the Falcons deemed the performance of the ProtoMechs unsatisfactory and ended their construction. With many ProtoMech weapons available but no ProtoMechs in production, the Pinion got them being a second-line Mech.
Also, regarding the testbed character... they were not sure if the heavy lasers's emissions were harmful for the pilot, so the Falcons tested it on second-line units first.

So the lore of the Mech is quite nice.

#19177 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:13 AM

It would be interesting to see a IIC chassis come into the game before its IS predecessor. Something like the Guillotine, Stinger or Clint, for example.

There are still some IIC chassis that no one's guessed yet, there's still a chance to get in on the action in the guessing thread ;)

For instance: the LCT-IIC has been guessed several times, but I haven't seen its 25-ton counterpart yet. </hint>

#19178 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:19 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 30 May 2018 - 09:13 AM, said:

Actually TRO:3067 includes a number of very interesting Clan Mechs. Crimson Langur, Arcas, Rabid Coyote, Spirit, Burrock...

Do want...

#19179 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

I still think the Coyotl would be an interesting addition for the Clans, 40t 113km/h ground speed, optional 7 JJ's, 15.5t of pod space (12t with all 7 JJ's) all hard-points are mounted around the cockpit (either just below, at or slightly above). She's got cDHS, cXL engine and cEndo, so tons of cirt space as well....

The only real knocks against it are age (it the first Omni-mech) and lack of official variants. I think though that PGI could make up some solid variants, I mean she's got the tonnage to pack a GR+2t ammo and a HML on a fast moving chassis like that.

#19180 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 30 May 2018 - 09:13 AM, said:

Perhaps a word on the Stooping Hawk, since not everyone has access to the RS:3060 detailing the Mech configurations. Of course it must be stressed that it is no Vapor Eagle in terms of performance but that does not make it useless.

Yes, the STD-engine limits podspace to effectively 19 tons, which is on the low side given its average speed of 81-87 kph, yet I consider it workable.

The interesting part is that the Stooping Hawk features a number of centreline hardpoints. Combined with the STD-engine and the small size of Clan weapons this results in a zombie potential we have not yet seen. The Clans in MWO have nothing even remotely similar, and the IS counterparts have much weaker firepower (which precisely is why nobody is using them in zombie-mode anymore).

With the Stooping Hawk you could run 4x ERML in the arms, 1x ERLL in the head, and 2x SRM6 in the CT. The missiles and the large laser are centreline mounted, so you can lose both STs and keep a non-trivial amount of firepower – especially in late game engagements. You are also jump capable and not slow. Alternatively, two centreline ERLL are possible, and may be combined with more lasers, missiles or ballistics.

Again, it is not the best Clan medium (that is the Vapor Eagle) but I can totally see it work. And it has some novelty to it being a tanky Clan Mech of which there are not many to put it mildly. Ideally it plays more like a classic IS medium. I think that is an interesting niche.

I am just not sure about the Pinion seeing that it caps at 87 kph, which is not ideal for a 45t Mech, but the hardpoints are surely good.

Funny enough, it has so many lasers (and thus hardpoints) because the Falcons deemed the performance of the ProtoMechs unsatisfactory and ended their construction. With many ProtoMech weapons available but no ProtoMechs in production, the Pinion got them being a second-line Mech.
Also, regarding the testbed character... they were not sure if the heavy lasers's emissions were harmful for the pilot, so the Falcons tested it on second-line units first.

So the lore of the Mech is quite nice.

I'm down for standard-engine Omnis. I don't think they're guaranteed to be as bad as speculation seems to think. In the case of the Stooping Hawk, we're talking the same speed as a Mad Dog, which isn't that much heavier. And little free weight with lots of free crits encourages heatsink boating, for better or worse. Also, as noted: CT points, which ever one geeked out over on the new Mad Dog hero.

As to the Pinion:

It's a battlemech, so the engine's not stuck. Also, the Blackjack's pretty playable at the same tonnage and it's engine cap for all but the 1X forces it into that 80-someting kph bracket. Update the engine, bring the guns, have some funs.

Edit: spelling, "free grits," lol

Edited by Virlutris, 30 May 2018 - 09:33 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users