BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#19781 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 03:12 AM

Do we think there will be more Unseen, Classic and/or IIC 'mechs released soon?

If so, here, have a poll Posted Image

Edited by Jay Leon Hart, 06 October 2018 - 03:27 AM.

#19782 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 October 2018 - 09:30 AM

View PostSereglach, on 05 October 2018 - 07:30 PM, said:

I agree that the mechs that could really boat them would be more crit starved than tonnage starved; and I don't think Ghost Heat would really be all that necessary. I think slight DPS nerfs vs standard ACs, combined with possibly restricting their TT ranges a bit more, would be the better way to go.

Regardless, LACs are just one of many more weapon systems that I'd like to see brought into MWO; and most of the weapon systems really don't need any more special geometry. I think the one major outlier would be Plasma Rifles (IS) and Plasma Cannons (Clan), but they could really use PPC geometry (since they're energy weapons) if needed.

It's not really that hard for PGI to create a LGB-13P variant based on the 13NAIS.

- C3 can just be removed, as its been done on plenty of other mechs. 1 ton saved
- Also remove the B-Pods, as has been done before. 2 tons saved
- Swap the STD 255 to an LFE 255. STD255 at 19 tons to LFE255 at 16 tons. 3 tons saved
- The 6 tons needed to do a conversion have been obtained.
- Then you can turn the 6xLAC5 into 6xAC2, convert the ammo, and leave everything else the same as the base 13NAIS.
- Of course you'd need to move the leg lasers into the torso locations, but that'd need to be done no matter what.

Then you have a Longbow with something like 6B, 3-4E (would depend on whether they inflate the 1E RT to 2E), ECM, and 1AMS for hardpoints. That'd give the IS 85 ton bracket a dedicated ballistic platform; and that is something the IS really doesn't have right now, and really could use. Better yet that it comes from a beloved Classic Battletech chassis; and it'd at least be SOMETHING until we got LACs (or maybe Mech Rifles) into the game.

I'd be happy with your 13P, yes please.

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 06 October 2018 - 03:12 AM, said:

Do we think there will be more Unseen, Classic and/or IIC 'mechs released soon?

If so, here, have a poll Posted Image

Black Python, Nexus, MW4 Hellhound & Longbow with Sereg's 13P.

#19783 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:06 PM

So...opinion.... should I finish this as an

ARCHER
Posted Image

or a Bombardier?
Posted Image

Archer is the popular pick, but we 1) have an AMAZING rendition thanks to MWO, and 2) the Bombardier ... really needs love.

#19784 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:14 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 October 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

we 1) have an AMAZING rendition thanks to MWO, and 2) the Bombardier ... really needs love.

This. I would love to see a new Bombardier (it certainly needs love), and we have good Archer art already.

#19785 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:20 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 October 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

So...opinion.... should I finish this as an

ARCHER
Posted Image

or a Bombardier?
Posted Image

Archer is the popular pick, but we 1) have an AMAZING rendition thanks to MWO, and 2) the Bombardier ... really needs love.

Bomba-frikkan-dar yah!
I have, sooooooo many 65 ton Mechs.
Eh one more.

#19786 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:20 PM

Wait isn't the Bombardier the the smaller and faster cousin of the Archer that only existed because FASA screwend with some licences?
The Bombardier is unspectacular although - that kind of Mech almost killed a unimportant Falcon in this Falcon Flapping Template Novel called FalconGuard... and everything that kills Falcons is a good thing....

Edited by Karl Streiger, 11 October 2018 - 10:20 PM.

#19787 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,580 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:41 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 11 October 2018 - 10:20 PM, said:

Wait isn't the Bombardier the the smaller and faster cousin of the Archer that only existed because FASA screwend with some licences?
The Bombardier is unspectacular although - that kind of Mech almost killed a unimportant Falcon in this Falcon Flapping Template Novel called FalconGuard... and everything that kills Falcons is a good thing....

No, the Bombardier existed prior to the Unseen issue exploding, like the rest of the TRO2750 'Mechs it got bumped from extinct to mostly alive because of it.

But visually those drawing still scream Archer more than Bombardier to me at least.

#19788 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:48 PM

View PostCycKath, on 13 October 2018 - 09:41 PM, said:

No, the Bombardier existed prior to the Unseen issue exploding, like the rest of the TRO2750 'Mechs it got bumped from extinct to mostly alive because of it.

But visually those drawing still scream Archer more than Bombardier to me at least.

The be fair, the Bombardier itself looks a lot like the Archer. TRO: 3039 even says a pilot cannot tell the difference from 500m away (although this statement is presented with a grain of salt).
I suspect TPTB back then wanted to show us what an Archer with Level 2-tech looks like, and they succeeded. The Bombardier has almost the same firepower, is almost as well protected, and it is faster and lighter. And the SW downgrade is very much an Archer again...

Also, it is quite reasonable to assume some of the TRO:2750 designs survived in small numbers considering the need for operational Mechs. The reason for that retcon is deeply tragic, but the retcon itself ... is fine.

#19789 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,580 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:21 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 17 October 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

The be fair, the Bombardier itself looks a lot like the Archer. TRO: 3039 even says a pilot cannot tell the difference from 500m away (although this statement is presented with a grain of salt).
I suspect TPTB back then wanted to show us what an Archer with Level 2-tech looks like, and they succeeded. The Bombardier has almost the same firepower, is almost as well protected, and it is faster and lighter. And the SW downgrade is very much an Archer again...

Also, it is quite reasonable to assume some of the TRO:2750 designs survived in small numbers considering the need for operational Mechs. The reason for that retcon is deeply tragic, but the retcon itself ... is fine.

I'm fine with most, the only one that really rubs me wrong is the Flashman ("plant slagged, all plans gone" to "isn't it lucky Defiance snapped up a license before that")

#19790 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:58 AM

10 days for the next mech. A little too early, but... what do you think it will be?

I believe it should be an IS light mech. So... Wasp/Stinger double pack?

#19791 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:51 PM

View PostOdanan, on 22 October 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

I believe it should be an IS light mech.

If the Mechs are intended to be used in MW:5 and/or HBS BT they should release more lights because together with the mediums they were the bread and butter of the Mech armies. We have more than enough medium Mechs (although I would buy a Lynx or a Lightray immediately), so we need lights.

Stinger and Wasp make a lot of sense. They are perfect for pretty much every scenario, they are fan favourites, they actually add something new to MWO... It's hard to think of a better choice right now.
I would also like to mention the Ostscout. Such a highly specialized Mech is useful for MW:5 and HBS BT, but the later variants are perfectly combat capable in MWO.

I personally hope we get some FCCW-stuff, but I think we will be getting an SW-era unit.

#19792 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:45 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 22 October 2018 - 12:51 PM, said:

I would also like to mention the Ostscout.

Posted Image

Edited by Odanan, 22 October 2018 - 01:46 PM.

#19793 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:54 PM

The redesign is beautiful, the later variants are perfectly ok for MWO, and let's not forget you advocated ... 'performance-challenged' units like the Uziel and the Hellspawn. ;)

#19794 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:56 PM

Hmmm, IS light then if they want another Light mech for MW5's Third Succession war era instead of Civil War Era. Also avoiding 20 and 25 tonners as the last IS light, the flea, was 20 tons.

35 tonners
Night Hawk
Spector (Lost Tech Mech)
Toro (Would fit BT as well as it is from the Taurian Concordat)

30 Tonners
Firefly
Valkyrie

Those mechs would be my top picks for the parameters.

Edited by Shadowomega1, 22 October 2018 - 01:58 PM.

#19795 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:43 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 22 October 2018 - 01:54 PM, said:

The redesign is beautiful, the later variants are perfectly ok for MWO, and let's not forget you advocated ... 'performance-challenged' units like the Uziel and the Hellspawn. Posted Image

We already have the Ostscout. And it stinks.

Ostroc, Ostsol and Oswar, however, are fine mechs.

#19796 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:08 PM

View PostOdanan, on 22 October 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

We already have the Ostscout. And it stinks.

Ok, where exactly do you see the energy hardpoints on cockpit-level in each ST of the OTT-11J?
The OTT-9CS has hardpoints in each arm, in the CT and the head - again not exactly what you linked there, unless I am missing the arm hardpoints and the head hardpoint in your link.

You may want to look at the variants of a Mech before you judge it. The Ostscout is not the best performer for sure, but if that were the decisive criterion few of the Mechs you have advocated could even be considered.

#19797 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:21 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 22 October 2018 - 03:08 PM, said:

Ok, where exactly do you see the energy hardpoints on cockpit-level in each ST of the OTT-11J?
The OTT-9CS has hardpoints in each arm, in the CT and the head - again not exactly what you linked there, unless I am missing the arm hardpoints and the head hardpoint in your link.

You may want to look at the variants of a Mech before you judge it. The Ostscout is not the best performer for sure, but if that were the decisive criterion few of the Mechs you have advocated could even be considered.

You are right, I saw the "primary" variant and rejected the chassis.

#19798 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:46 PM

View PostOdanan, on 22 October 2018 - 05:21 PM, said:

You are right, I saw the "primary" variant and rejected the chassis.

That's why I explicitely wrote about the later variants. ;)

I mean, it's still not an overwhelmingly good Mech, but it is serviceable. And I do agree the other OSTs would be better additions (in fact, I believe they could easily be meta). Unfortunately it is unlikely that PGI brings another 60t Mech so soon.

Who knows, perhaps they bring a heavier heavy Mech, a 70 or 75-tonner. Flashman and Guillotine could work for MW:5 and MWO, though I'd definitely prefer others. Think Excalibur, Shootist, Toyama...

(...seems like that Word of Blake book really inspired me).

#19799 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:12 AM

I'm thinking PGI wants to capitalize on the unseen so a Stinger/Wasp pack similar to Hatamoto/Charger seems like a strong possibility.

It should be IS if history holds. IS got the Flea then Vulcan, Champion and most recently Charger/Hatamoto. Pgi doesn't really follow a tonnage list overmuch so the only way it's a light is Stinger/Wasp, imo. A medium could fit the bill and personally I'd like a 55 tonner. The Lynx specifically or Men Shen but there's no reason to think it'll be either. Maybe the Dervish if they even care about the old poll. (Dervish does nothing interesting so it's meh for me)

Honestly, since there isn't any unseen mediums (that I can think of), the Crusader seems very likely. It's unseen, leads the poll, isn't 60t so it doesn't totally overlap the Champion. What do you guys think?

#19800 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:16 AM

Personally I'm not attached to the Crusader and looking at it's HPs makes me not very interested at all. Mostly arm HPs and they're mixed so it's limited that way. Average engine size but one of the actually interesting variants has a pitiful engine. Honestly, it's pretty lame gameplay wise.

35 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users