Jump to content

Ultimate Mech Discussion Thread

BattleMech Balance

19848 replies to this topic

#21 Odanan

    Volunteer Moderator

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,881 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

View PostHikaru, on 27 June 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

Thanks for the catch with the timing. Much better than the many random guess threads.

Thry've stated clearly they want mediums as the most prevalent on the battlefield, so I think there will be more mediums than others, but sadly, in this era, the best mediums are almost all Unseen.


Indeed, there are so many unseen cool medium designs (thinking about the Wolverine, Shadow Hawk, Griffin...).

#22 Specialagent82

    Rookie

  • Knight Errant
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBremen, Germany

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

I would love to see the Victor in the game!

#23 Jakebob

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

It'll be a light... Firestarter or Panther. (Javelin wouldn't be a bad choice, but it's too similar to the Commando IMHO)

#24 Hikaru

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

I've thought about the Panther, but the problem is, there are basically no variants they can sell that fit within the 3049 timeframe. The 8Z basically is the same rollout but with one less missile hardpoint. 10K did not come out until sometime after 3050 and sometime before 3052. Panther production was destroyed in 3050 (per second edition Unseen-less TRO 3050) and they rebuilt with newer tech at their new factory. (TRO 3050 was published in 3052). Again, just no idea how they handle this in the mech lab. 10K2 is a no -- we don't have double heat sinks. Everything on is outside of the timeline. So you basically have the 8Z and 9R -- and with the same hardpoint layout.

If they released the Panther, you'd have a slow light that doesn't fit a scout role, that also has no sellable variants.

Edited by Hikaru, 27 June 2012 - 04:18 PM.


#25 Hikaru

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

I think the Blackjack is a viable choice.
  • BJ-1 prime variant has jump jets, 4 beam and 2 projectile hardpoints.
  • BJ-1DB keeps the jump jets and instead swaps the projectile hardpoints for beam hardpoints, 6 total.
  • BJ-1DC drops the jump jets for 2 projectile 6 beam hard points total.
Later variants don't fit the 3049 timeline. These 3 give a good distinction between the sellable variants.

Vindicator doesn't work so much. The 3049 available variants aren't really distinctive with the way MWO's mech lab works.

And the Hatchetman is a no, because they haven't implemented meleeing or melee weapons yet.

Edited by Hikaru, 27 June 2012 - 03:30 PM.


#26 PartyFowler

    Rookie

  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

I wouldn't mind the good old Hatchetman! Need some close quarters action.

#27 deathanxiety

    Member

  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

I have a feeling the Hollander will make an appearence as one of the medium mechs. That big gauss rifle on it's shoulder, pounding enemy mechs from long range on the larger maps. Awesome!

#28 Odanan

    Volunteer Moderator

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,881 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

View PostHikaru, on 27 June 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

I think the Blackjack is a viable choice.
  • BJ-1 prime variant has jump jets, 4 beam and 2 projectile hardpoints.
  • BJ-1DB keeps the jump jets and instead swaps the projectile hardpoints for beam hardpoints, 6 total.
  • BJ-1DC drops the jump jets for 2 projectile 6 beam hard points total.
Later variants don't fit the 3049 timeline. These 3 give a good distinction between the sellable variants.



Vindicator doesn't work so much. The 3049 available variants aren't really distinctive with the way MWO's mech lab works.

And the Hatchetman is a no, because they haven't implemented meleeing or melee weapons yet.


Indeed, the Blackjack it's so the next medium.

Edited by Odanan, 28 June 2012 - 03:30 AM.


#29 Odanan

    Volunteer Moderator

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,881 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

View Postdeathanxiety, on 27 June 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

I have a feeling the Hollander will make an appearence as one of the medium mechs. That big gauss rifle on it's shoulder, pounding enemy mechs from long range on the larger maps. Awesome!


The Hollander is from 3055. There will be clan mechs ever before this mech.

#30 Odanan

    Volunteer Moderator

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,881 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:31 AM

View PostPartyFowler, on 27 June 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

I wouldn't mind the good old Hatchetman! Need some close quarters action.


Without the melee combat implemented (and it never was in a MW game), there is no chance for the Hatchetman to get in.

#31 Odanan

    Volunteer Moderator

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,881 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:01 AM

View Postskamage, on 27 June 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

Hope they do the Victor next.


As the badass Highlander is too uncommon, Victor is probably our only chance for a jumping assault mech.

#32 CGB Kilbourne

    Member

  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:07 AM

I think it's a garauntee that we'll see the Black Knight. It's an old Star League 'Mech, so it's been around, not a post 3050 design and it had it's own game expansion named after it. It also fills a very special role in the Heavy class as being a laser king, where as the Catapult is the missile king, Orion is the versatile king and Cataphract is the ballistic king (maybe).

#33 Odanan

    Volunteer Moderator

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,881 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:22 AM

View PostRichard Sharpe, on 28 June 2012 - 05:07 AM, said:

I think it's a garauntee that we'll see the Black Knight. It's an old Star League 'Mech, so it's been around, not a post 3050 design and it had it's own game expansion named after it. It also fills a very special role in the Heavy class as being a laser king, where as the Catapult is the missile king, Orion is the versatile king and Cataphract is the ballistic king (maybe).


Although I like energy boats, isn't the Black Knight too restricted? I mean, even the (few) variations are not very different one from each other...

#34 Benaresh

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRüdesheim am Rhein, Hessia, Germany

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:26 AM

are Variants that important? Because i think the Starslayer may come as a medium Mech EnergyBoat

#35 Odanan

    Volunteer Moderator

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,881 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:31 AM

View PostChunkymonkey, on 27 June 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

So many of these threads...


Well, that's the ultimate of these threads. :D

View PostBenaresh, on 28 June 2012 - 05:26 AM, said:

are Variants that important? Because i think the Starslayer may come as a medium Mech EnergyBoat


They won't add a mech in the game without some 3 or 4 different variants. It's just a waste of resources.

#36 Der Zivilist

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:44 AM

Yeah, that's probably the UrbanMech's biggest issue.

It's iconic, it's widespread in the Inner Sphere throughout all eras, and it's so popular among players that there's a 25-page threadnaught in the suggestion forums demanding it to be implemented.

However, just about all its variants replace the single autocannon with a single autocannon of a different type, which would result in the exact same hardpoints. The first ever variant to introduce a different kind of weapon is a 3060+ one.

Make no mistake, I still want my UrbanMech! But it would only have one variant (maybe that makes it a great free starter mech? Eh, Piranha?)

Edited by Der Zivilist, 28 June 2012 - 05:46 AM.


#37 Calvin Vakarian

    Member

  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 27 June 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:


I think that would be the Commando there

View PostHarabeck, on 27 June 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:


I see no sign of Treb...

View PostOdanan, on 27 June 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:


I don't remember seeing the Commando in any official or leaked videos... but maybe I'm wrong.

View PostSideSt3p, on 27 June 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:


What time stamp for the Treb?

View PostOdanan, on 27 June 2012 - 11:42 AM, said:


Are you sure? I doubt it is a Trebuchet.


Ok. My bad, I saw the Trebuchet in a bit of leaked video. I got confused because it was also on the new map.

#38 CGB Kilbourne

    Member

  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

I understand what you guys are saying about lack of varients for certain 'Mechs.

So...

Why doesn't MWO just make up some interesting varients for chassis such as the Black Knight or Urban Mech. Just because a 'Mech is rare in the cannon doesn't mean it has to be rare in our simulator.

*Note: Lack of flexibility or change to this IP is what has caused it near oblivion. i.e. put an AC/10 on a Black Knight.

Edited by Richard Sharpe, 28 June 2012 - 08:34 AM.


#39 Odanan

    Volunteer Moderator

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,881 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

View PostRichard Sharpe, on 28 June 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

I understand what you guys are saying about lack of varients for certain 'Mechs.

So...

Why doesn't MWO just make up some interesting varients for chassis such as the Black Knight or Urban Mech. Just because a 'Mech is rare in the cannon doesn't mean it has to be rare in our simulator.

*Note: Lack of flexibility or change to this IP is what has caused it near oblivion. i.e. put an AC/10 on a Black Knight.


As the devs are going strictly with the canon, I don't see they doing this.

#40 Odanan

    Volunteer Moderator

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,881 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

And don't put a AC/10 on the Black Knight.

PS: the lack of respect of the MW4 series to the canon almost killed the fan base.





6 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users