Ultimate Mech Discussion Thread

BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#2101 Lonestar1771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

What is that in the foreground? Also that madcat design is "not too shabby", to quote our most famous ML member.

#2102 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostCattra Kell, on 07 February 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

Calling it right now:

Next Mech will be announced 13th of Feb. If its another medium I am guess the Dervish, chances are its the final assault though and my lot is with the Zeus or Banshee.

Next Hero mech will be a Cicada, announced either the 27th or the 6th.

That is my prediction based on previous dates.

I agree. I want the Zeus, my guess is that it will be the Banshee (semi fast Assault) or Charger (same reason but even faster, although we already have a few 80tons). The Cyclops is possible if they want a command mech (by the time its released CW will probably in in play), I would have thought the Victor was likely until the released the Highlander (now they don't need a jj assault).

#2103 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostLonestar1771, on 08 February 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

What is that in the foreground? Also that madcat design is "not too shabby", to quote our most famous ML member.

That is a Shrike

Posted Image

#2104 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

View Postcdlord, on 08 February 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

That is a Shrike

Notice that the Shrike's arms are melee in your picture, but that artwork above shows ranged weapons. Therefore it looks more like a Gyrfalcon to me.
Posted Image

Edited by FupDup, 08 February 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#2105 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

That is a Shrike

Posted Image

Huh? Never heard or seen this one before but I kinda like the look of it to be honest.

#2106 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostFupDup, on 08 February 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

Notice that the Shrike's arms are melee in your picture, but that artwork above shows ranged weapons. Therefore it looks more like a Gyrfalcon to me.
Posted Image

Could be, both look very similar and I wouldn't put it past the Dark Ages artists to get it wrong..... :(

#2107 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

View Postcdlord, on 08 February 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Could be, both look very similar and I wouldn't put it past the Dark Ages artists to get it wrong..... :(

Well, the Dark Age artists did screw up the Atlas big time after all, so I guess anything's possible with them...

#2108 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 February 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Well, the Dark Age artists did screw up the Atlas big time after all, so I guess anything's possible with them...

This thing?

Posted Image

#2109 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 February 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

I'm just hoping we see more than a dozen or two mech types. Gah, imagine a game with 40 or 60 different mechs? I know there are a lot of negative things to say about that but... but.... BATTLETECH!

Like the name by the way. Is it a TANDEM reference?

#2110 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

View Postcdlord, on 08 February 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

This thing?

That one's not too bad, actually. Seems to lose most of the Atlas's spirit/mojo, but still badass in its own way. This is the one I was referring to as a screw-up:
Posted Image

The HORROR!!! :(

View PostMischiefSC, on 08 February 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

I'm just hoping we see more than a dozen or two mech types. Gah, imagine a game with 40 or 60 different mechs? I know there are a lot of negative things to say about that but... but.... BATTLETECH!

Like the name by the way. Is it a TANDEM reference?

My name was the first thing that popped into my head while creating a CnC: RA3 account. I've used it ever since (except as a Gmail account, because some jerk stole it!)

A game with a bazillion mechs would be awesome if they can all be somehow balanced so that each has at least one legitimate tactical use to it (without being made obsolete by something else).

Edited by FupDup, 08 February 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#2111 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 February 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

That one's not too bad, actually. Seems to lose most of the Atlas's spirit/mojo, but still badass in its own way. This is the one I was referring to as a screw-up:
Posted Image

The HORROR!!! :(

Blech! I completely forgot about that one, luckily I don't own that model. Think I died a little just being reminded of it though....

#2112 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostThontor, on 08 February 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

I don't know what is in the foreground but that madcat looks like a Mad Cat Mk II

No, that's Mad Cat IV 2xERPPC, 4x 6SSRM and an ERSL. A Dark Age design, but one of the better ones, and FD really improved it over that piece of crap that the original DA design was.

That is a Shrike

No, the guy below is right. Gyrofalcon. Once again a noticable improvement of design.

View PostFupDup, on 08 February 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

#2113 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

love all the dark age mechs there. To bad we wont see any of them lol. The Jade Falcon Assault Shrike is one bad *** mech and the Mad Cat MK IV (Savage Wolf) is also a bad as mech.

#2114 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

Odanan, I have a suggestion. On the OP, it would be cool if you added what time the BattleMech was announced in addition to the date. Every Wednesday I get excited and wonder if we are going to see an announcement... :lol:

Edited by Maverick01, 08 February 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#2115 Norris J Packard

• 1,972 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 08 February 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

Odanan, I have a suggestion. On the OP, it would be cool if you added what time the BattleMech was announced in addition to the date. Every Wednesday I get excited and wonder if we are going to see an announcement... :lol:

It is always sometime between 11 AM to 5 PM PST

#2116 Anony Mouse

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSabaku no Hana, Misery, Draconis Combine

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:11 AM

View PostNorris J Packard, on 07 February 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

It can't be the Dervish. It doesn't have enough variants unless they resurrect an extinct XTR Primitives one.
It can be the Kintaro though. That does have enough variants.

Actualy theres the DV-6M, DV-1S, DV-6MD and DV-7D that are timeline appropriate, so plenty of variants.

View PostCattra Kell, on 07 February 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

This is very true. With two 50 ton mechs for the medium class announced (Blackjack being 45 and Cicada 40) I was hoping for something in the 55 range. But I think the higher probability is another assault, and I think they would go with something in the 80 ton range if they were doubling up on the same weight or they would fill the 95 ton missing slot.

The problem is the best and most plentiful 55 tonners are the unseen. There are a few other options for 55 tonners though. The previously mentioned and erroniously denounced Dervish. The correctly perported Kintaro. Also the Hoplite, Lynx and if we venture into quads the Scorpion. The Wraith and Cronus are borderline either by the timeline or the number of variants but would each make great additions.

Still plenty of other killer potential additions to the mediums stable (personally I've been disappointed with whats offered so far). Theres Assassins (40 ton), Vindicators (45), Clints (45), Hermes II (45) . And when we get around to needing more 50 tonners, Crabs, Starslayers, Chameleons, Enforcers (why they didn't pick ENF over CN9 to start with is beyond me), and maybe the Uziel. The uziel doesn't use tech beyond whats in game now, but I'm not sure about its canon debut, also it was featured prominently in that horrible xbox bastardization of the franchise and it wouldn't surprise if it ends up a bit of a leper at PGI because of it :]

Edited by Anony Mouse, 09 February 2013 - 05:34 AM.

#2117 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

Actually, the DV-1S uses "primitive" tech" (which doesn't make a resurgence until the WoB J***d).
However, the DV-6M, DV-6Md, and DV-7D would/should be available to provide the Dervish with the necessary three variants.

The Lynx isn't available, timeline-wise - none survived the Succession Wars ("The few remaining Lynxes were ultimately cannibalized for whatever could be salvaged.") and the design doesn't see production again until 3056.

The Hoplite is a Dragoon-exclusive 'Mech and also not in production (at least, in the Inner Sphere); "After the [Wolf's Dragoons] cut ties with the Clan Homeworlds in 3020, they also lost access to replacement Hoplites, with attrition bringing the design close to extinction by the J***d."

The Uziel is unlikely to be added anytime soon due to tech and timeline restrictions:
  • The standard/archetypical variant (the UZL-3S) requires IS versions of the LB 2-X AC and the ER Medium Laser, and doesn't come into being until 3065.
  • The prototype variant (UZL-2S) doesn't come into being until 3063, despite the necessary tech (standard PPCs, standard MGs, standard SRM-6, BAP, Endo Steel, XL Engine, DHS) being already present.
  • The third and final normal (that is, not "named"/character-specific) variant (the UZL-8S) doesn't come into being until 3075, and requires IS versions of the Streak SRM-6 and the Improved Jump Jets.

Also, the Enforcer only really has two normal variants: the ENF-4R (available since 2777) and the ENF-5D (makes its debut in 3050).
Its "successor", the Enforcer III, doesn't become available until 3059 and is considered a different 'Mech despite being of the same mass (in much the same way as the Dragon and Grand Dragon).
The Centurion, by contrast, actually has (more than) three normal variants of its own and is arguably more well-known than the Enforcer.

#2118 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

View PostAnony Mouse, on 09 February 2013 - 05:11 AM, said:

Actualy theres the  DV-6M, DV-1S, DV-6Md and DV-7D that are timeline appropriate, so plenty of variants.

DV-1S: Primitive parts, extinct.

DV-6Md: Refit; XL engine to fit more gear.

There's only 2 available until the Clan invasion(even then 3062+), and by then there are better 55 tonners.

Edited by Stingz, 09 February 2013 - 07:18 AM.

#2119 hercules1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

I'm not sure y so many people on the topic in the last week or so r saying the next assault is gonna b anything but the highlander. It is in the battlemech section under assaults and so is the jagger mech under heavy and the treb under med. those 3 will b out b4 any other mechs fellas sorry to crush your hopes about others. If I could bet with any of u on this I'd throw a 100 down on what I just said being correct not in that order but those 3 first for sure and I don't even buy scratch tickets.Unless every1 is talking about them just saying what mechs will b in the game later on rather then when they actually get released to play

Edited by hercules1981, 09 February 2013 - 08:27 AM.

#2120 Doden Kriger

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

To bad it isnt 3051-52. Love to see my lovely Avatar back in the game

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook