Ultimate Mech Discussion Thread

BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#4601 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

Someone found mentions of Kintaro in the gamefiles...

#4602 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:09 AM

View PostAdridos, on 30 July 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

Someone found mentions of Kintaro in the gamefiles...

Seriously?

#4603 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:19 AM

View PostThe Birdeater, on 31 July 2013 - 03:09 AM, said:

Seriously?
Well, there is a Reddit thread (linked from another thread in this forum), that supposedly lists material from "the /MechWarrior Online/Game/Localized/English.pak/Languages/Loc.xml file", and gives the variants as the KTO-18, KTO-19, and KTO-20, with an additional (Hero?) variant named "Golden Boy" (which is the name of a Japanese folk hero, the title of a manga and follow-up anime where the main character is named "Kintaro Oe", and the Japanese-to-English translation of "Kintaro" itself). :)

Edited by Strum Wealh, 31 July 2013 - 05:28 AM.

#4604 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

View PostThe Birdeater, on 31 July 2013 - 03:09 AM, said:

Seriously?

Yeah, how could anyone pick a Kintaro over Vindicator...

Okay, more seriously, it's quite dissapointing. I mean, don't get me wrong, the more IS mechs get into the game, the better for all of us, but Kintaro is rather lackluster and unless they give it full-omni powers, it will be utter junk... if they do, it will completely obsolete poor ol' Trebuchet.

#4605 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:31 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 31 July 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

Well, there is a Reddit thread (linked from another thread in this forum), that supposedly lists material from "the /MechWarrior Online/Game/Localized/English.pak/Languages/Loc.xml file", and gives the variants as the KTO-18, KTO-19, and KTO-20, with an additional (Hero?) variant named "Golden Boy" (which is the name of a Japanese folk hero, the title of a manga and follow-up anime where the main character is named "Kintaro Oe", and the Japanese-to-English translation of "Kintaro" itself). ;)

Holly crap.

#4606 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

So, it is real. I'm looking at the files and here you go:

Posted Image

There are also some interesting things, like the descriptions os the hero mechs.
Firebrand: The personal Mech of "Devil" Donald Vincent. (as predicted in this thread some time ago)
Misery: Colonel J. Elliot Jamison's personal Stalker.
Dragon Slayer: Ardan Sortek's personal Victor.
X-5: Gibson Federated BattleMechs’ X-5 Cicada prototype.

#4607 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:00 AM

View PostOdanan, on 31 July 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

So, it is real. I'm looking at the files and here you go:

Posted Image

There are also some interesting things, like the descriptions os the hero mechs.
Firebrand: The personal Mech of "Devil" Donald Vincent. (as predicted in this thread some time ago)
Misery: Colonel J. Elliot Jamison's personal Stalker.
Dragon Slayer: Ardan Sortek's personal Victor.
X-5: Gibson Federated BattleMechs’ X-5 Cicada prototype.

I just hope the Kintaro looks good after Alex has gotten ahold of it. He hasn't failed us yet, but the book art for the Kintaro is just plain ooooogly....

#4608 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

View PostAdridos, on 31 July 2013 - 05:42 AM, said:

Yeah, how could anyone pick a Kintaro over Vindicator...

Okay, more seriously, it's quite dissapointing. I mean, don't get me wrong, the more IS mechs get into the game, the better for all of us, but Kintaro is rather lackluster and unless they give it full-omni powers, it will be utter junk... if they do, it will completely obsolete poor ol' Trebuchet.

Yeah... the absolute LAST medium I have any interest in.

Mediums I would like to see in the game? (In order, not counting Macross Unseens or the Hatchetman)

1) Dervish (finally get the agile Missile Boat medium the 4SP and Trebbie have teased us with)
2) Vulcan (Great maneuverability, good hardpoints, interestingly cool profile should be hard to hit)
3) Assassin (Stock capable of 120 kph AND 7 JJ? Limited hardpoints though)
4) Vindicator (Too iconic to skip regardless of limitations, plus if it means the Cappies drive slow mechs, YAY!)
5) Wolverine (Good blend of agility, armor and hardpoints. Interesting diversity of variants)

Honourable Mention) Phoenix Hawk: About the perfectly balanced Medium Chassis.

the the "MEH" Category
1) CRAB (Could look cool, but pretty boring hardpoints)
2) Griffin (on paper really does nothing the Wolverine and Shadowhawk don't do better. Or even the Dervish, TBH)
3) Enforcer (I would like it, but it really is a limited chassis. Iconic to Davion though)
4) Clint (decent semi recon/semi battler, excels at nothing, has JJs and pretty good speed)
5) Hermes II (Iconic to Marik, decent speed and hardpoints, but really nothing the Cicada doesn't already do)

Quite literally serve no purpose, or already done better in another chassis
1) Whitworth(less) (Yay, slow mediocre attempt at a too light missile boat)
2) Sentinel (See "Cicada" )
3) Wyvern (Has anyone seriously, in TT or otherwise ever found a use for this thing?)
4) Kintaro (Absolutely OWNED in all ways by both the Trebuchet and Dervish. Also looks stupid as heck)

Thoughts?

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 31 July 2013 - 07:06 AM.

#4609 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 July 2013 - 07:04 AM, said:

Mediums I would like to see in the game? (In order, not counting Macross Unseens or the Hatchetman)

1) Dervish (finally get the agile Missile Boat medium the 4SP and Trebbie have teased us with)
2) Vulcan (Great maneuverability, good hardpoints, interestingly cool profile should be hard to hit)
4) Vindicator (Too iconic to skip regardless of limitations, plus if it means the Cappies drive slow mechs, YAY!)
5) Wolverine (Good blend of agility, armor and hardpoints. Interesting diversity of variants)

Thoughts?

Wolverine is in, so it's kinda pointless to have it on this list of yours... oh, and you greatly underestimate Vindy (there's still that thing it's the closest we could ever get to a Phoenix Hawk unless Hasbro ends up doing the right thing with Harmony Gold).

#4610 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

View PostAdridos, on 31 July 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

Wolverine is in, so it's kinda pointless to have it on this list of yours... oh, and you greatly underestimate Vindy (there's still that thing it's the closest we could ever get to a Phoenix Hawk unless Hasbro ends up doing the right thing with Harmony Gold).

closest to Phoenix Hawk...... despite having no ballistics and going 30 kph slower, with no JJ? ;)
Even though it's 5 tons lighter, the speed, JJs and hardpoints on the Vulcan more closely match up to the PHX-1.

Without changing or adding ANY hardpoints, I can arm it identical, minus 1 medium laser, (of course, in MWO 1 Large and 2 Mediums is pretty pathetic firepower) and .5 tons armor. With MWO hardpoint creep, I can probably give it that extra laser. And it can support more armor than the stock PHX. So given the advanced tech, I would say it could make a perfect analogue since no PHX variant really maxes tech anyhow.

(also we saw concept art of the Wolverine, not to be a stickler but that is not the same as confirmed. I promise you that Alex has concept art of probably every available design that he is working on, and the PTBs then pick and choose what looks cool enough to do a full mockup for, and has good hard points. But yeah, I am thinking it is a done deal)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 31 July 2013 - 07:27 AM.

#4611 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

Honourable Mention) Phoenix Hawk: About the perfectly balanced Medium Chassis.

the the "MEH" Category
1) CRAB (Could look cool, but pretty boring hardpoints)
2) Griffin (on paper really does nothing the Wolverine and Shadowhawk don't do better. Or even the Dervish, TBH)
3) Enforcer (I would like it, but it really is a limited chassis. Iconic to Davion though)
4) Clint (decent semi recon/semi battler, excels at nothing, has JJs and pretty good speed)
5) Hermes II (Iconic to Marik, decent speed and hardpoints, but really nothing the Cicada doesn't already do)

3) Wyvern (Has anyone seriously, in TT or otherwise ever found a use for this thing?)
4) Kintaro (Absolutely OWNED in all ways by both the Trebuchet and Dervish. Also looks stupid as heck)

Thoughts?

I think the Clint has a stronger chance due to having a IIC variant. While the Clans do only start out with the 16 omni mechs giving us a IIC version of several IS chassis could get clan players into IS chassis. Aside from their second line omni mechs like the Shadow Cat.

The Kintaro is a heavier recon information warfare oriented medium. I think it'd be a good fit in MWO.

Personally I like the design of the Sentinel. Could be a good 40 ton option besides the Cicada (and proposed Clint).

Honestly with the way ballistic weapons are in the game at the moment I couldn't see much use for the Vulcan.

#4612 Anyone00

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 329 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

Now the question is will the Kintaro have a custom paint job that makes it look like it's wearing a giant bib with a symbol one it (and to make the reference obscure) that exposes its mech junk when knocked back.

#4613 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostButane9000, on 31 July 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

I think the Clint has a stronger chance due to having a IIC variant. While the Clans do only start out with the 16 omni mechs giving us a IIC version of several IS chassis could get clan players into IS chassis. Aside from their second line omni mechs like the Shadow Cat.

The Kintaro is a heavier recon information warfare oriented medium. I think it'd be a good fit in MWO.

Personally I like the design of the Sentinel. Could be a good 40 ton option besides the Cicada (and proposed Clint).

Honestly with the way ballistic weapons are in the game at the moment I couldn't see much use for the Vulcan.

and yet somehow those ballistics are a good fit for the same tonnage and speed Clint (which actually has the SAME hardpoints, minus 1 ballistic) and Sentinel? ;)

Also I don't see the IIC thing as meaning anything, tbh.

Also the Vulcan's 3050 variant drops one ballistic to mount a large pulse laser. giving it 3 energy, 1 ballistic (pre hardpoint spread) JJs, same speed as the Clint or Sentinel offer and a much more interesting and potentially useful profile.

"Hannibal Chimp" Hero Mech confirmed
Posted Image

#4614 Morang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

Strange choice with Kintaro. I'll be disappointed if they delay Flea again. They could just make MASC placeholder for a while.

#4615 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 July 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

closest to Phoenix Hawk...... despite having no ballistics and going 30 kph slower, with no JJ? ^_^

You have never seen a Vindicator in your whole existence, have you, Steiner?

Aside from the fact absolutely every current canon variant does indeed mount JJs, you're forgetting FRR's 1AA... again.

Starting at 86.4km/h stock, it can easily go up to Phoenix's 270 engine for 97.2 km/h.
Being of the same tonnage, the armor will easily match up, too.
Primary weapons are also replicable without any changes, altough one laser is moved to the head.
As far as secondaries go, 2 MGs traded for an LRM rack is not a big deal (and no, that thing definitely can't support ACs in those tindly arms ;)).
Lastly, you've got JJs, whcih are pretty much comparable since PH has 1 more, but it's not much of a deal in the current game, anyway.

In the end, it is not Phoenix Hawk, but it is really the closest you can get in this timeline while still adhering to the lore side of things (that is, not counting customisations ala 2xUAC/5 hands).

#4616 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

Thoughts?

I would buy the Whitworth day one. A Blackjack with missiles and articulated arms. Sounds good to me. Not having to expose your self to direct fire would really help on a map like Tourmaline. Twenty missile tubes is adequate.

Edited by Spheroid, 31 July 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#4617 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

View PostAdridos, on 31 July 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

You have never seen a Vindicator in your whole existence, have you, Steiner?

Aside from the fact absolutely every current canon variant does indeed mount JJs, you're forgetting FRR's 1AA... again.

Starting at 86.4km/h stock, it can easily go up to Phoenix's 270 engine for 97.2 km/h.
Being of the same tonnage, the armor will easily match up, too.
Primary weapons are also replicable without any changes, altough one laser is moved to the head.
As far as secondaries go, 2 MGs traded for an LRM rack is not a big deal (and no, that thing definitely can't support ACs in those tindly arms ^_^).
Lastly, you've got JJs, whcih are pretty much comparable since PH has 1 more, but it's not much of a deal in the current game, anyway.

In the end, it is not Phoenix Hawk, but it is really the closest you can get in this timeline while still adhering to the lore side of things (that is, not counting customisations ala 2xUAC/5 hands).

sorry the only ones i have seen are the smoking wrecks I leave behind. Maybe the Liao jocks just don't know how to USE their JJs hence my forgetting them? *Shrugs*

Either way, neither is a PHX-1, neither would open up the balanced abilities the PHX would. And a good PHX jock would devour a Vindy pilot any day of the week. But hey, like I said, I'm fine with Goons and Liaos running around in 45 ton paperdolls that aren't any faster than my Victor. I just know who my first victims will be. ;)

View PostSpheroid, on 31 July 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

I would buy the Whitworth day one. A Blackjack with missiles and articulated arms. Sounds good to me. Not having to expose your self to direct fire would really help on a map like Tourmaline. Twenty missile tubes is adequate.

40 tonner with 64 kph top speed stock? Yeah, again, in all ways, totally outclasses by the Dervish, which mounts similar armor, is nearly 20 kph faster, jumps farther and has 2 extra missile hardpoints. Hence my saying it does absolutely NOTHING another chassis doesn't do better. Considerably better in this case. The current meta just doesn't really favor lights trying to fill support roles, and the Whitworth is for all practical purposes, a slow Light.

#4618 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 July 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

And a good PHX jock would devour a Vindy pilot any day of the week.

That's true, because a Vindy pilot who is alone is as good of a pilot as the Steiner who thought bringing a standard King Crab against Clan Vulture is a good idea.

Make it a lance against lance and the Phoenix Hawks can already start waving the white flag. ;)

#4619 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostAdridos, on 31 July 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

That's true, because a Vindy pilot who is alone is as good of a pilot as the Steiner who thought bringing a standard King Crab against Clan Vulture is a good idea.

Make it a lance against lance and the Liaos have already start waving the white flag (since 3028). :)

FTFY

#4620 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 July 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

FTFY

Hey! ;)

I'm not joking. Lance v lance in 3025, not even the great 55 trio can beat it. Sure, it looses a bit out when each side is allowed mechlab perfection, but it is The mix of punch, armor and heatsinks you could ever get out of a 45 tonner back in the day. And being allowed to toy with it a bit in mechlab and fixing the only problem the mech has, the speed, it is truly not a mech you can frown on. :)

56 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 56 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook