#562 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 03 October 2012 - 07:29 PM, said:

Wait, why does thinking that "hero 'mechs" being MC only means someone is a pessimist? I have to say I support the idea, though I'm not adverse to it also have a chance being unlocked in other ways as well if people come up with solid ways to do it.

I do hope that they're specialized visually like how the Founder's 'Mechs are, so they're different just enough visually as well. (Example, Atlas's head, sloped front on the Catapult, etc.)

Well, not the only ones, but the pay to win crowd are always ready to find fault where there is none. If the variants were only a c-bill bonus or something like that, it wouldn't be a big deal. If however, the variant has unique hard points there will be much QQ about it being p2w.

#563 DNI Sniper

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

View PostSMDMadCow, on 01 October 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

Extinct.

Shhhhhhh.

#564 Phoenix Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

A good choice for a 55 ton mech is the Griffin (excels in direct fire support and sniper roles)....
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Griffin
Posted Image

A good choice for a 75 ton mech is the Flashman (heavy-energy configuration)...
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Flashman
Posted Image

A good choice for a 90 ton mech is the Mauler (heavy-ballistic configuration)....
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mauler
Posted Image

Edited by Maverick01, 03 October 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#565 DNI Sniper

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

Flashman, -reminds me of an upside down Pear urbanmech.

Edited by DNI Sniper, 03 October 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#566 latdheretic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 03 October 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

A good choice for a 55 ton mech is the Griffin (excels in direct fire support and sniper roles)....
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Griffin

I so want a Griffin, but I don't expect to ever see it as it is unseen.

A good choice for a 75 ton mech is the Flashman (heavy-energy configuration)...
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Flashman

I really like the Flashman, but it is an out of production Star League Mech. Word of Blake starts making more later, but it just wasn't a factor in this era.

A good choice for a 90 ton mech is the Mauler (heavy-ballistic configuration)....
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mauler

Again I really like the Mauler, the biggest thing going against it is the fact that it is so new in this era that there are currently no variants.

I applaud your taste in mechs, but we are unlikely to see any of them in MWO, at least not soon.

#567 Allyssa Marix

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:47 PM

Even though they were part of the law suit that collapsed FASA the Rifleman and the Marauder have to be included. The Rifleman design has even survived post ***** that says alot for the durability of the design and variants make it a great fire lance mech.

The Marauder is like the Warhammer, they personnafy what Battletech and Mechwarrior are. The Marauder comes in both the 70 ton and 75 ton by 3049/3050 prior to the clan invasion so its appropriate. And the Warhammer, what can you say, alot of fire power and there is a rare 80 ton variant with two LRM 20 launchers. A definate favorit.

If they are going to to include Clan Omni Mechs then the Toad Suit a.k.a. clan power armor has to be included as well. Points of elementals took down lots of mechs in the initial clan invasion. There is so much room for expansion here it isn't even funny. But I'm laughing anyway.

#568 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:15 AM

View Postlatdheretic, on 03 October 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

I so want a Griffin, but I don't expect to ever see it as it is unseen.

I really like the Flashman, but it is an out of production Star League Mech. Word of Blake starts making more later, but it just wasn't a factor in this era.

Again I really like the Mauler, the biggest thing going against it is the fact that it is so new in this era that there are currently no variants.

I applaud your taste in mechs, but we are unlikely to see any of them in MWO, at least not soon.

This.

View PostAllyssa Marix, on 03 October 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

Even though they were part of the law suit that collapsed FASA the Rifleman and the Marauder have to be included. The Rifleman design has even survived post ***** that says alot for the durability of the design and variants make it a great fire lance mech.

The Marauder is like the Warhammer, they personnafy what Battletech and Mechwarrior are. The Marauder comes in both the 70 ton and 75 ton by 3049/3050 prior to the clan invasion so its appropriate. And the Warhammer, what can you say, alot of fire power and there is a rare 80 ton variant with two LRM 20 launchers. A definate favorit.

If they are going to to include Clan Omni Mechs then the Toad Suit a.k.a. clan power armor has to be included as well. Points of elementals took down lots of mechs in the initial clan invasion. There is so much room for expansion here it isn't even funny. But I'm laughing anyway.

Most of the Unseen/Reseen would be great in the game (so many variants!) but until now we have no reason to believe any of them will make it to MWO.

#569 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:26 AM

View PostBelorion, on 03 October 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

Well, not the only ones, but the pay to win crowd are always ready to find fault where there is none. If the variants were only a c-bill bonus or something like that, it wouldn't be a big deal. If however, the variant has unique hard points there will be much QQ about it being p2w.

Unless they make the "hero" mechs unmodifiable, but that seems to go against the idea of the game. Though, not a bad way of keeping them from being like WoT's premium tanks too much.

Also, about the Highlander, we've got a quote that leaves it very suspect that it'll be number 17. I think they're going to release 17 as something different and then the Highlander "officially" after that. Meaning, I think we might get two 'mechs the week the PC Gamer hits....or they'll "release" the Highlander concept art a week after.

"Q: Second question: If Battlemech 16 was supposed to be saved for something special why was it just randomly announced? [Butane9000]
A: The Flea is our official 16th Mech. 'A Mech' had a special reveal, but BattleMech 17 will be something different again. [Garth]"

The Marauder is like the Warhammer, they personnafy what Battletech and Mechwarrior are. The Marauder comes in both the 70 ton and 75 ton by 3049/3050 prior to the clan invasion so its appropriate. And the Warhammer, what can you say, alot of fire power and there is a rare 80 ton variant with two LRM 20 launchers. A definate favorite.

There is...a lot wrong with this. The Marauder is only 75 tons, and the Warhammer doesn't mount LRM20s and is only 70 tons with no 80 ton variant as you listed. However, I agree both are really core representatives of Battletech, though I'd say the Warhammer moreso then the Marauder. Both are Unseen, so we'll never see them in game.

PGI has said no combined arms, which is what the Elemental Battle Suit would fall under, as they are not a 'mech. Toads are out. Neat as it'd be lorewise, they won't be included.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 04 October 2012 - 03:37 AM.

#570 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:23 AM

I would like to see mixed units come into play. At least elementals.

#571 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:31 AM

View PostBelorion, on 04 October 2012 - 04:23 AM, said:

I would like to see mixed units come into play. At least elementals.

I think a lot of us would, but they have repeatedly said no. The topic even comes up on the No Guts No Galaxy Podcast with Bryan Ekman.

They may make Elementals a Clanner commander ability (maybe drop a small field of them to slow enemy 'mechs or do minor damage), but no combined arms as controlled by players.

#572 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

Also, I'd like to put forward some of the other Heavy 'Mechs and see what others think of their potential viability:

Grasshopper (70 tons)
GHR-5H
GHR-5N
GHR-5J
All variants possess average speed for Heavy 'Mechs (64.8 kph) and are jump-capable, and there is a fair degree of variation in hardpoint layout among those listed above. Also, all of the above are Energy-heavy designs, generally possessing a single Missile weapon and no Ballistic weapons.

Guillotine (70 tons)
GLT-4L
GLT-4P
GLT-5M
As with the Grasshopper, all of the above-listed variants possess average speed for Heavy 'Mechs (64.8 kph) and are jump-capable. Also like the Grasshopper, all of the above are Energy-heavy designs - generally possessing a single Missile weapon and no Ballistic weapons.

Lancelot (60 tons)
LNC25-02
LNC25-03
LNC25-05
The Lancelot generally possess average speed for Heavy 'Mechs (64.8 kph) and is not jump-capable (though, the -05 is able to reach speeds of 97.2 kph with a 360 XL Engine). Most variants tend to be energy-heavy, though some also mount Ballistic weapons as well (the -03 replaces the arm-mounted Large Lasers and some Heat Sinks with AC/5s, while the -05 replaces the Medium Laser and two Heat Sinks with a quartet of Machine Guns and a ton of ammo).

Quickdraw (60 tons)
QKD-4G
QKD-5A
QKD-5K (available in 3049, according to the Master Unit List)
The Quickdraw possesses above-average speed for a Heavy 'Mech (86.4 kph), and all of the above variants are jump-capable. Like the Grasshopper and Guillotine, the Quickdraw tends to be armed primarily with Energy weapons, though often carries two Missile weapons (rather than only one) as supplementary armament.

The Marauder is Unseen, the Flashman is not in production, and the Black Knight has only one variant (the BL-7-KNT) in production until 3052 (the debut of ComStar's BL-9-KNT "Clanbuster" model; the "basic/original" BL-6-KNT doesn't restart production until 3065), leaving the Orion as effectively the only available timeline-appropriate 75-ton IS 'Mech with enough variants to meet the requirements.

Your thoughts?

#573 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:46 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 04 October 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

Also, I'd like to put forward some of the other Heavy 'Mechs and see what others think of their potential viability:

Grasshopper (70 tons)
GHR-5H
GHR-5N
GHR-5J

Guillotine (70 tons)
GLT-4L
GLT-4P
GLT-5M

Both of these machines I'd like to see, Guillotine over the Grashopper but Grasshopper over Lancelot or Quickdraw any day. (Damn not being able to use Reseen. WTB THUNDERBOLT!) The only other selection I'd make would be the Flashman, and not even for it's loadout....just to see Alex actually make the mech look good. ;) First pick, as I detail later, really should be the Orion.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Orion

Too many opportunities here. At 75 tons gives you most room to play with without having to step into the Assault category, and would offer all sorts of mech bay options. It has enough variants to please anyone, and it's spread of hardpoints would make it a real strong mix/match mech for whatever you wanted to do. It's not super fast but it doesn't have to be, it's got a LOT of armor. Plus, FD needs to redesign this, it must be done.

View PostStrum Wealh, on 04 October 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

The Marauder is Unseen, the Flashman is not in production, and the Black Knight has only one variant (the BL-7-KNT) in production until 3052 (the debut of ComStar's BL-9-KNT "Clanbuster" model; the "basic/original" BL-6-KNT doesn't restart production until 3065), leaving the Orion as effectively the only available timeline-appropriate 75-ton IS 'Mech with enough variants to meet the requirements.

Your thoughts?

We've got the Cataphract (70 tons), Catapult (65 tons), Jagermech (65), and Dragon (60 tons) so it seems the next likely heavy candidate unless they're going to double up on another weight category is go with the 75 ton Orion. I think it'd complement the others well, it's not only General Aleksandr's 'mech, but has enough variants and versatility of hardpoints to make it a great fit between heavy/assault. Some people have complained that it's a downgraded Atlas...but there's good to that. A 'mech that is 25 tons lighter with a still very strong base amount of weaponry and armor with decent ground speed.....all for a cheaper cost then it's 100 ton alternative sounds like a good idea to me.

I think the Orion should be a shoe in.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 04 October 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#574 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

View PostJack Gallows, on 04 October 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

I'm going to expand on this once I get home from work later, so look for an edit to follow sometime tonight when I have time to appropriately respond to your nice post.

I shall look forward to it. :)

We've got the Cataphract (70 tons), Catapult (65 tons), Jagermech (65), and Dragon (60 tons) so it seems the next likely heavy candidate unless they're going to double up on another weight category is go with the 75 ton Orion. I think it'd complement the others well, it's not only General Aleksandr's 'mech, but has enough variants and versatility of hardpoints to make it a great fit between heavy/assault. Some people have complained that it's a downgraded Atlas...but there's good to that. A 'mech that is 25 tons lighter with a still very strong base amount of weaponry and armor with decent ground speed.....all for a cheaper cost then it's 100 ton alternative sounds like a good idea to me.

Agreed.

However, it should also be noted that PGI has already doubled-up on 35-tonners (Jenner and Raven) as well as 65-tonners (Catapult and JagerMech), and has already tripled-up on 50-tonners (Hunchback, Centurion, and Trebuchet), but there are still no 45-tonners, 55-tonners, 75-tonners, or 95-tonners announced as yet.
So, I don't think they would their adding another 60-ton or 70-ton 'Mech (or even another 65-tonner) before adding a 75-tonner to be unthinkable.

I think the Orion should be a shoe in.

It should be.

However, as noted above, PGI apparently does not seem to take too much issue with there being gaps in the tonnage range while other tonnages have doubled- or tripled-up on 'Mechs.
As such, I don't think we should necessarily discount any 'Mech as a result of its tonnage.

#575 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 04 October 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

Agreed.

However, it should also be noted that PGI has already doubled-up on 35-tonners (Jenner and Raven) as well as 65-tonners (Catapult and JagerMech), and has already tripled-up on 50-tonners (Hunchback, Centurion, and Trebuchet), but there are still no 45-tonners, 55-tonners, 75-tonners, or 95-tonners announced as yet.
So, I don't think they would their adding another 60-ton or 70-ton 'Mech (or even another 65-tonner) before adding a 75-tonner to be unthinkable.

Quite aware they've double/tripled up on some weights, just really stating what I think they SHOULD do versus adding another mech of a same weight level. That said, generally what they pick are pretty solid, and it's not like other 'mechs won't make the cut after game launch....would just be nice to see some of these sooner.

And now, time to make a quick list of 'mechs I feel should be included! (Mostly because I just want to see them)

-Light-
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mercury (20 Tons)
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Wolfhound (35 Tons)

The Mercury, while not really a standout 'mech without some of it's older SLDF parts (or newer rediscovered lostech of this era,) is interesting because it's the father of the Omni-mech. I think the 'mech looks cool and it's damn fast, and it'd be an interesting choice for scouts who live by the seat of their pants. The Wolfhound makes more sense overall, as it's got a lot of teeth for a light 'mech while maintaining decent ground speed and armor for it's size. The Wolfhound really is the consummate light mech, it'd be an incredible scout hunter and a really nasty fire support harass/killer. It's my light 'mech of choice.

We really already covered Mediums above given the 55 ton quote, but we know they can well go beyond that.

-Medium-
http://www.sarna.net...28BattleMech%29 (45 Tons)
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Crab (50 Tons)
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clint (40 Tons)

If we could have the unseen, my pick would immediately be the Wolverine, but continueing under the safe assumption we'll never see them...this is a toss up for me as I like all 3 of these 'mechs. The Clint is generally woefully underarmed, but hardpoints and a mechbay can fix that, it'd be an interesting little scout hunter/medium striker especially if the Wolfhound doesn't make it in, (of which, I'd take the Wolfhound over this.) The Blackjack is a solid machine (even if the AC/2s on the main variant are kinda like pea shooters,) but I think the Crab makes for a really strong contender....even though it'd be ANOTHER 50 ton 'mech. It and the Blackjack have some nice variants.

Skipping Heavies, as the we covered those, and well...Orion or bust!

-Assault-
Mackie (100 tons)
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Rampage (85 Tons)
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Victor (80 Tons)
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Zeus (80 Tons)
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cyclops (90 Tons)
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Devastator (100 Tons)

Ok, so this category is quite a bit larger then the previous. The Mackie! It's the Urbanmech's dad. Let's not! The Rampage is an interesting assault 'mech not seen in any game, it boasts a nice array of weapons and sneaks MASC into the equation pushing it to higher speeds then most assault 'mechs can manage. Unique 'mech that'd be interesting to see as it's still pretty unknown to most players. Both the Zeus and Victor would make awesome selections, Victor being a another great assault 'mech with jump jets (though the Highlander has that covered,) and the Zeus would have a good spread of variants. The Cyclops would be a very solid choice due to it's firepower and as an alternative to the Atlas.

I tacked the Devastator on here just because it's simply disgusting. That amount of firepower is rediculous, and I kind of want some solid choices for when the Clans hit. In the current game, however, the hardpoint availibility would make this design used almost exlusively I feel, as it could very easily mount the most diverse and destructive armaments that could seriously imbalance gameplay with how strong it is.

#576 Razor 117c

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

Heavy:
  • Vulture / Mad Dog (60 tons)
  • Loki / Hellbringer (65 tons)
  • Thor / Summoner (70 tons)
  • Mad Cat / Timber Wolf (75 tons)

Who would forget the Mad Cat??I knew it would come up as soon as I started reading the post.

#577 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

Guys, because of this ISN news, I think the UrbanMech might be the "Hero Mech". That would be funny.

PS: I know, the Urbie is useless.

PPS: They should use the Ironhawk's redesign. It's awesome.

#578 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

I am pretty sure the hero mech will be a chassis already in game.

#579 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

View PostBelorion, on 06 October 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

I am pretty sure the hero mech will be a chassis already in game.

It makes sense, because the mech will be added directly in the game.

But to be honest, most of the "unique" variants are not that good. Or not that different. Or not impossible to do in the mech lab right now. Reading the speculation thread I don't see much to be excited about.

Edited by Odanan, 07 October 2012 - 05:57 AM.

#580 Theron Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:35 AM

The most important and best innersphere mech is missing and is one needed for the Invasion of the clans and that is the General Motors/Blackwell Marauder II. It's been in tons of books and scources that this mech was the most important mech and the best one for the invasion of the Clans.

71 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 71 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook