Why Is There No Group Finder In 2014?

Menu

13 replies to this topic

#1 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:17 PM

Why is there no group finder in 2014 for MWO? Why should a player have to join a clan to have access to VOIP? Why should a player have to join a clan in able to have a 12 man drop ready for CW when there should be a GROUP FINDER tool made that allows people to list out:

-Their Role: skirmisher, assault, scout, flanker,
-Their Desired Weight Class: Light, Med, Heavy, Assault
-ELO Bracket: Yeah I know people will hate this, but if you are forming a group, you need to know what you are getting and this is the best we got now

I'm willing to bet the fan base for MWO skews considerably older than other FTP games on the market now, including people who have limited play time. The limited play time means you have players that are time poor and cash rich and will be more inclined to buy from you.

However, when you match them up against kids in college who are Time Rich and Cash Poor, who can spend hours upon hours of time and form units with set play times. You are setting up a scenario of where you will lose your cash cows and be left with a player base that will chase away new players coming in due to the skill cap.

Put in a group finder with VOIP will not make up for the skill difference, and the premade units will still get the advantage they deserve because they play on a schedule, however it will also help to greatly reduce PUG rolls. AND it could also help in the long run to get your player base to know each other and form larger player associations that will give your company an increase in PLAYER RETENTION.

#2 divinedisclaimer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:31 PM

YOu're

View PostRhent, on 20 December 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

Why is there no group finder in 2014 for MWO? Why should a player have to join a clan to have access to VOIP? Why should a player have to join a clan in able to have a 12 man drop ready for CW when there should be a GROUP FINDER tool made that allows people to list out:

-Their Role: skirmisher, assault, scout, flanker,
-Their Desired Weight Class: Light, Med, Heavy, Assault
-ELO Bracket: Yeah I know people will hate this, but if you are forming a group, you need to know what you are getting and this is the best we got now

I'm willing to bet the fan base for MWO skews considerably older than other FTP games on the market now, including people who have limited play time. The limited play time means you have players that are time poor and cash rich and will be more inclined to buy from you.

However, when you match them up against kids in college who are Time Rich and Cash Poor, who can spend hours upon hours of time and form units with set play times. You are setting up a scenario of where you will lose your cash cows and be left with a player base that will chase away new players coming in due to the skill cap.

Put in a group finder with VOIP will not make up for the skill difference, and the premade units will still get the advantage they deserve because they play on a schedule, however it will also help to greatly reduce PUG rolls. AND it could also help in the long run to get your player base to know each other and form larger player associations that will give your company an increase in PLAYER RETENTION.

While you're right, of all the games I've played, this one has the best participation in 3rd party voip. You know about comstar NA1? Go there and meet people.

Don't fill out forms to join any clan. It's a waste of your time.

ELO is irrelevant, the game is a small and dedicated community, there isn't room for it. You pretty much play against everybody, which is the way PC games used to be and honestly it's a good thing. You get to run the gamut.

Desired weight class is largely irrelevant. I recommend both for cost and practice reasons to start with a light, which is in highest demand. The trial mechs are functional these days.

#1 concern now should be in-game public voip with simple push-to-talk and click-scoreboard-to-mute functionality. It should be all-talk during the brief lobby for rabble-rousing and then team-only during the game. Any douchery will be paid for in coaching that helps retain players.

Edited by divinedisclaimer, 20 December 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#3 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

View Postdivinedisclaimer, on 20 December 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:

YOu're

While you're right, of all the games I've played, this one has the best participation in 3rd party voip. You know about comstar NA1? Go there and meet people.

Don't fill out forms to join any clan. It's a waste of your time.

ELO is irrelevant, the game is a small and dedicated community, there isn't room for it. You pretty much play against everybody, which is the way PC games used to be and honestly it's a good thing. You get to run the gamut.

Desired weight class is largely irrelevant. I recommend both for cost and practice reasons to start with a light, which is in highest demand. The trial mechs are functional these days.

#1 concern now should be in-game public voip with simple push-to-talk and click-scoreboard-to-mute functionality. It should be all-talk during the brief lobby for rabble-rousing and then team-only during the game.

Going to a Web Forum in 2014 to find a group is ridiculously inept by the Developer. There isn't even a lobby where players can do a "LFG". The developers for an ONLINE MMO are ridiculously inept at building a community of players.

#4 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:46 PM

View PostRhent, on 20 December 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

Going to a Web Forum in 2014 to find a group is ridiculously inept by the Developer. There isn't even a lobby where players can do a "LFG". The developers for an ONLINE MMO are ridiculously inept at building a community of players.

CW is the closest feature of this game to be MMO. Also, I don't see many other shooters implementing 'looking for group' matchmakers, those are mostly done in MMORPG for instanced PVE/PVP matches requiring specific roles to be taken. This game has no such roles as any mech at any time could be used for multiple situations.

Even the ingame VOIP, the only idea you have (which plenty of people have had before) which isn't terrible, is still something very cautious to approach (just look at ingame VOIP for games like Counter Strike and CoD...better to just mute them usually). If you can't convey ingame in chat what you need to then it isn't important for the game at hand. Also as linked above there is a teamspeak available for non-unit affiliated players to join and form groups to play.

Edit: Oh, and MMO are online games by definition, Online MMO is redundant and makes you sound stupid, please learn what an acronym means before trying to use it.

Edited by MauttyKoray, 20 December 2014 - 01:47 PM.

#5 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:52 PM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 20 December 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

CW is the closest feature of this game to be MMO. Also, I don't see many other shooters implementing 'looking for group' matchmakers, those are mostly done in MMORPG for instanced PVE/PVP matches requiring specific roles to be taken. This game has no such roles as any mech at any time could be used for multiple situations.

Even the ingame VOIP, the only idea you have (which plenty of people have had before) which isn't terrible, is still something very cautious to approach (just look at ingame VOIP for games like Counter Strike and CoD...better to just mute them usually). If you can't convey ingame in chat what you need to then it isn't important for the game at hand. Also as linked above there is a teamspeak available for non-unit affiliated players to join and form groups to play.

Edit: Oh, and MMO are online games by definition, Online MMO is redundant and makes you sound stupid, please learn what an acronym means before trying to use it.

The problem you are having is you did not take the context of the capitalization of ONLINE. The redundancy was deliberate. I understand that some people have basic problems with context and reading. Its not your fault for lack of understanding, its just one of the deficits of your mental capacity.

#6 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:12 PM

View PostRhent, on 20 December 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

The problem you are having is you did not take the context of the capitalization of ONLINE. The redundancy was deliberate. I understand that some people have basic problems with context and reading. Its not your fault for lack of understanding, its just one of the deficits of your mental capacity.

The correct way to have emphasized that would have been to fully say "Massive Multiplayer ONLINE" instead of using the redundancy. It only made you sound like you didnt know what MMO stood for.

#7 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:19 PM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 20 December 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

The correct way to have emphasized that would have been to fully say "Massive Multiplayer ONLINE" instead of using the redundancy. It only made you sound like you didnt know what MMO stood for.

I know aspies have problem with context, but you really need to work with your group. Your family has to put up with your behavior, but random people on the Internet, we tend to call you out for your lack of basic manners.

#8 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:23 PM

The feature you've been asking for is Lostech.

PGI has yet to rediscover them.

#9 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:37 PM

Hmm. I think I see where you're coming from, but honestly... go join a random MWO teamspeak server and say hello? That's how I met my current clan. MWO clans are extremely friendly in my experience... Just join a server and say hello.

Maybe I misunderstood your question? Whatever.

Edited by Yosharian, 20 December 2014 - 02:38 PM.

#10 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:45 PM

View PostYosharian, on 20 December 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

Hmm. I think I see where you're coming from, but honestly... go join a random MWO teamspeak server and say hello? That's how I met my current clan. MWO clans are extremely friendly in my experience... Just join a server and say hello.

Maybe I misunderstood your question? Whatever.

This is an example of one of the better group finders available for MMO's: http://wow.gamepedia.com/Group_Finder

You can list the options for the type of group you want. You will be auto dropped into a group that fits your criteria and what the group has set. Now imagine having something like that available if people want to run a 12 Man Community War drop to take a specific planet or if someone wants to form up a 12 Man LRM of 10 AWS-8R's and 2 Raven 3L spotters for kicks. It would be a lot easier to find something like that with a group finder.

#11 Rick Rawlings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:49 PM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 20 December 2014 - 01:46 PM, said:

Or just look at games like Arma or Red Orchestra, where it is round-decisive. Teamspeak is better than nothing, but not the solution because it is not in-game, not inclusive to all players on the team and you have to link up with others and drop with the group. I like the idea of being dropped with randoms and trying to cobble together a plan, I just want to be able to talk to them as I should be able to in any strategy-incorporating game of the 21th century

#12 GeistHrafn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 450 posts
  • LocationMB, Canada

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:01 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 20 December 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

You, sir, have won the thread.

#13 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:27 PM

View PostRhazien, on 20 December 2014 - 03:01 PM, said:

You, sir, have won the thread.

Its sad really, they put in a group finder, they'd find the grouped matches number would increase significantly and then they would not have to worry about PUG vs Premades as much. IF they put in VOIP as well, the complaints about PUG vs Premade go down even more. At that point, they would have to think about RANKED MATCHES for clans who want to go against other clans for pissing rights and then everyone else. If you want RANKED, join a clan and go at it.

GEE, MWO FIXED.

Edited by Rhent, 20 December 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#14 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:17 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 20 December 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

This post made me cry.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users