43 replies to this topic

#1 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:10 AM

Other than c-bills,xp, and LP there is no point in dropping in CW until 2 hours before the ceasefire. I have watched the numbers of players drop during the day and increase dramatically at night just before the ceasefire. Thing is what about everyone else who can't be a part of taking a planet because of time restraints? Fighting during the day is basically meaningless since it does not really matter in the long run.
Something needs to be done about this. New maps with Attack/Defend will not cut it alone, we also need new CW game modes that matter.

Other than that, I am having fun when I do drop.

#2 Ax2Grind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 816 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:44 AM

I think the last few hours before ceasefire play a critical part in the days victories but early battles certainly matter. If a planet has been posted to 11 wins during the middle of the day its a lot more likely to stay that way once folks come on for NA prime-time,and the same if early attack victories have been beaten down early in the day. My own personal schedule I end up battling both 2 hours before and right after the ceasefire. I never feel like my battles after don't matter, in fact the early battles MS take part feel very important to set the stage, but the feeling of the impending deadline is certainly felt right before the ceasefire.

#3 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:53 AM

On the other hand, C-bills, XP and LP are the only things that actually have an impact on you as a player. Whether FRR is reduced to a single planet tomorrow, I'd still be able to get a bunch of matches and keep getting those rewards.

The galaxy map is currently nothing but a fun gimmick, until PGI makes the conquest of planets have an actual impact on the players. And even then, it's probably too late to give people a 10% discount on the CN9-D for capturing a certain planet. The ship has sailed for the kind of rewards that would have been interesting in 2012.

And of course, with it being beta, there's always a chance our efforts right now will be meaningless in the future anyway.

I get what you're saying though. The point of CW is to rally the community and make everyone work together. And that's rather pointless when a small portion of the player population basically decide the outcome of every attack phase, and the rest of us are just spectators.

#4 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:06 AM

Honestly I kind of feel the same way though 2 hours is probably cutting it too close. 4 hours I think is the magic number.

Seriously though, all the work you do on a Planet before those last 4 hours is a total waste because it is way too easy for a defender to roll back 5-6 wins in short order.

Of course, this is why I think that once an attacker hits 11 wins, the planet should flip automatically and that's that.

#5 FullMetalJackass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 255 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:21 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 21 December 2014 - 07:06 AM, said:

Honestly I kind of feel the same way though 2 hours is probably cutting it too close. 4 hours I think is the magic number.

Seriously though, all the work you do on a Planet before those last 4 hours is a total waste because it is way too easy for a defender to roll back 5-6 wins in short order.

Of course, this is why I think that once an attacker hits 11 wins, the planet should flip automatically and that's that.

I like this idea, it gives units a reason to go to 100% instead of just 50%.

#6 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:55 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 21 December 2014 - 07:06 AM, said:

View PostFullMetalJackass, on 21 December 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

I like this idea, it gives units a reason to go to 100% instead of just 50%.

Same.

You could even make a planet go to "Red Alert" once it's over 60% or something similar to encourage people to move to defend/attack that planet.

#7 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:10 PM

Once again the last 2 hours determines who takes what planet.

#8 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:11 PM

thats not true. The points earned really sets the stage. And lets the opposing team know what planets you are going for..

And if a planet is at 0% its not liek you can make it go to 100% within that 2 hours

#9 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:15 PM

View PostRipper X, on 21 December 2014 - 05:10 AM, said:

Other than c-bills,xp, and LP

dude
c'mon man lol
you just listed every reason except tokens lol

But, with that said

Yes, it would be nice to have a more randomized system or a more persistent system.

I don't understand the whole idea behind the cease fire in the first place. Why not just have it completely persistent. When one faction takes 51% of the planet, they own it and can then move to attack the next planet.

View PostTennex, on 21 December 2014 - 09:11 PM, said:

thats not true. The points earned really sets the stage. And lets the opposing team know what planets you are going for..

And if a planet is at 0% its not liek you can make it go to 100% within that 2 hours

agreed, but if you're on a planet that's relatively contested, they usually get rushed in the last 2 hours because they know whoever owns it at cease fire is going to take it, which kinda defeats the purpose of a persistent campaign in some aspects.

#10 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

Maybe it's just to stop some large unit blitzkreiging though someone's territory? Imagine a "super unit" planning to rush on Christmas morning for example?

#11 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:06 PM

OP has a point, I really don't drop except in the last few hours before the Cease Fire.

#12 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:15 PM

Not sure what happens on the IS side, but Clan side most hold off till 2 hours to ceasefire and zerg the queue. It has been the status quo for awhile now.

#13 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:26 PM

That's part of the problem the OP described.

#14 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:53 PM

Actually that is quite possible. All it takes is vast numbers. Wolf lost a planet tonight just like that. FRR attacked with one hour to spare when Wolves were Attacking a FRR planet. FRR had that planet over 50% while Wolves were still in the queue attacking the other planet. Wolves switched to defend that planet. It was close but it was too late. Also the planet we were attacking went to 0% because of the shear numbers of random IS players defending it. All those hours and work to take that planet went to waste. We had it over 70% before FRR attacked ours and we had to go defend.
Definitely need more than just Attack/Defend modes for CW and Attack/Defend modes need tweaking so the last 2 hours are not the only time CW matters.

Edited by Ripper X, 21 December 2014 - 10:56 PM.

#15 Jolly Llama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 457 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:01 PM

View PostRipper X, on 21 December 2014 - 05:10 AM, said:

Other than c-bills,xp, and LP there is no point in dropping in CW until 2 hours before the ceasefire. I have watched the numbers of players drop during the day and increase dramatically at night just before the ceasefire. Thing is what about everyone else who can't be a part of taking a planet because of time restraints? Fighting during the day is basically meaningless since it does not really matter in the long run.
Something needs to be done about this. New maps with Attack/Defend will not cut it alone, we also need new CW game modes that matter.

Other than that, I am having fun when I do drop.

I agree. Most planets fall under "Community Waitfare" for the majority of the day.

#16 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:39 PM

I wonder if it would be possible to set it up in time blocks or give the wins a time limit until they are permanent?

Say a EU group got 4 wins on the planet and kept them the whole time they were one. But once they log off, go to sleep, etc. The NA guys or whoever can pounce and smack it back down to zero in no time. We have done this in a matter of 20 minutes with 4 unopposed ghost drops (before patch).

But what if once they get a win if they defend them for 3 hours successfully without a flip on the block they are cemented Until the full cycle ends? This way you could just put in the 3 or so hours anytime and solidify a win for you team, faction, unit, whatever. Put a timer in the win block that counts down, or just a planetary time and whatever wins are there at x hour increments stay. This would stop the "SUPER UNITS" from being able to STOMP to Terra in a week.

OR put the time both ways. make it stay for a few hours and then capable of being flipped. That way there is a time buffer for units to see and they can plan accordinly how to invade. "defend this now, in 2 more hours we can take wins back from X planet"

But if a group drops in has 2 hours to play and see's 4 wins, 3 have been there for 2 hours and that unit helps keep at least 3 for another 2 hours after the previous unit logged of everyone would feel important, have a part and be able to contribue easily and immediately within there time slot.

IS could also hold parts of a planet from us and make the capture that much tougher for the day.

Just some thoughts before i went to bed....Hope to see you all on the Battlefield!

Edited by DarthRevis, 21 December 2014 - 11:43 PM.

#17 Mordin Ashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:08 AM

If you'll take opinion from CGBI player:
If our EU TZ doesn't do its job and IS gets momentum then out NA TZ have hard times accomplishing anything. There is a difference between "we have 3 hours to defend our sectors and do diversion activities" and "in 2 hours we must retake 20 sectors and conquer another 10".
Consider this as a chain. If your chain has one lazy piece or one piece completely missing you are in trouble.

#18 Will HellFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 203 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:09 AM

We Europeans feel like whathever we do doesnt matte:, if we bring a planet to 0 or 100% next morning it will be on the reverse side...precisely because all the US players connecting and playing 2-4 hours before the ceasefire.

Now I just play CW for the matches, I do realize that with this flawed system nothing I do will have an impact in the map.

I think there should be 3-4 planet changing ceasefires, coinciding with the peak hours in PST, EST, GMT and Pacific Ocean times. Thats the only way to create a meaningful experience for everyone.

Or, someone might think of a better way. But what we have now just doesnt cut it.

#19 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • LocationRaiding the Cookie Jar

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:23 AM

One of the suggestion made to PGI to improve community warfare is to make the planet changing ceasefire random.

Even how it is right NOW, all drops are still important because every pilot who wins a drop adds to the total count for their unit on the days total towards who's name goes on the planet after the ceasefire. While it is true that the last 2-3 hours make the biggest difference as to what faction gets the planet, it is the unit that contributed the most pilots who's matches end with a win that gets their name on the planet.

TL:DR - Every match counts towards what unit gets their name on the planet (regardless of what time that unit participates), but what factions get's to put a unit name on the planet is determined during the last 2-3 hours before update time.

#20 Almeras

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 294 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:56 AM

Yep all you can do before the Daily tick is sit waiting 8mins for a match and prep a planet and hope the US players win it.

Feels pointless to try a 'win a planet' if your not in the right time zone. It should be 3 ticks a day there's more than enough planets to support that an keep a 3month CW window.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users