Zerg Rush Nerfed!

144 replies to this topic

#1 SpeedingBus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:20 PM

I just read the new patch notes much rejoicing to be had!! Did people really think PGI wanted people to just 12 lights and end the game in 2 mins? Yes a lot of people did apparently. There are 3 separate mini generators now that protect the main generator.

http://mwomercs.com/game/patch-notes

PS Also maybe come up with some actual tactics now!

#2 Popper100

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:29 PM

While I'm not incredibly angry, I am peeved that the root cause, the sheer cliff of difficulty that attackers face, wasn't addressed in the slightest. Did they think that people spontaneously decided a straight rush to the finish line was the best way to do it and then never entertained another thought? No, it was born out of need. The need to overcome a lot of defender advantages.

It's a start, but again shows that the devs are having problems going the whole way through with a thought-line and not stopping at the first solution that "seems" to work.

#3 s0da72

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:33 PM

I don't see this nerfing rushes. Just more targets to rush... :lol:

#4 pwnface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:35 PM

I'm pretty happy with most if the improvements and fixes that they've come out with.

I'm kind of disappointed that mass whining by the underhive is so effective at getting changes implemented though. The teams that weren't able to defend against light mech zerg rush will continue to get crushed by organized teams. Nothing has changed, they'll just find something else to whine about after they lose.

#5 Xythius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:37 PM

View PostPopper100, on 17 December 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

While I'm not incredibly angry, I am peeved that the root cause, the sheer cliff of difficulty that attackers face, wasn't addressed in the slightest. Did they think that people spontaneously decided a straight rush to the finish line was the best way to do it and then never entertained another thought? No, it was born out of need. The need to overcome a lot of defender advantages.

It's a start, but again shows that the devs are having problems going the whole way through with a thought-line and not stopping at the first solution that "seems" to work.

Yeah, this is just gonna turn into Zerging the new objectives just as fast. Nothing much will really change, I don't think.

#6 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostXythius, on 17 December 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

Yeah, this is just gonna turn into Zerging the new objectives just as fast. Nothing much will really change, I don't think.

It really depends on the placement of the new objectives. If the devs were smart, they'd spread them around pretty far apart.

#7 Basilisk222

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 288 posts
  • LocationElmira Heights

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostSpeedingBus, on 17 December 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

I just read the new patch notes much rejoicing to be had!! Did people really think PGI wanted people to just 12 lights and end the game in 2 mins? Yes a lot of people did apparently. There are 3 separate mini generators now that protect the main generator.

http://mwomercs.com/game/patch-notes

PS Also maybe come up with some actual tactics now!

Check this out: http://mwomercs.com/...91#entry4011591

I still think mine's better overall but I was pretty close

Edited by Kilgorin Strom, 17 December 2014 - 05:43 PM.

#8 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:45 PM

Let them Zerg the new targets. Now having 4 total targets to kill and 3 before the main generator can be killed, means the defenders now have time to try and stop the Zerg rush. More objectives means the Zerg rush can't rush for the end game target right off the bat.

But the attackers now also have more terrain to hide behind and navigate that the defenders can't just get free shots in them and the attackers drop ships have been extremely buffed to help with the defenders that try to push out to stop the attackers at their drop points, while the defenders drop ships have been nerfed to give the attackers more of a chance to survive to get to the generators. All in all, I think PGI is making good progress on both sides of the game mode.

#9 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:45 PM

BASE RUSHING

Base rush tactics, while they can be countered, are definitely not intended to be the only or best way to take a base. To deal with this, we've implemented two main changes.

The first is that players must now destroy three new small generators before gaining access to the Omega target – the orbital gun. Until such time as the three mini generators are destroyed, the Omega target will have a protective door covering its internal generator.

The second is a series of map changes designed to provide more cover and protected pathways after breaching the gates. The intention is that we want to see more brawling taking place inside the gates, and even deep into the base, but with less base-rushing tactics.

Ok we were defeated on this one you got your Zerg nerf
I think a new tactic will come up

Edited by Davegt27, 17 December 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#10 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 17 December 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

Ok we were defeated on this one you got your Zerg nerf
I think a new tactic will come up

And that's good!

Ideally, the attackers should have a range of viable options to assault a base, ranging from kamikaze rushes to slow pushes that whittle the defenders down until the generator is weak.

The fact of the matter is that before today, the only real viable tactic as an attacker is a headlong rush ignoring the defenders. Will the coming patch fix that? It's hard to say yet, given that we don't have the patch in our hands.

Can we agree that it's a good thing that PGI are trying to address this issue though?

#11 Basilisk222

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 288 posts
  • LocationElmira Heights

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:51 PM

I really don't feel this is a NERF per say for the rush tactic. I think it makes it less of a threat, but forcing attackers to capture points first, before doing it is the main point.

I also REALLY like that the defending dropship has been made weaker. I've been nuked outside the gates a few times with laser fire.

I think these changes will make the mode better, and I'm one of those people that said rushing was fine.

#12 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

Not a nerf, just another objective.

#13 Toisich

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:57 PM

Can't say that I'm very happy about this. I'm a pug player, I don't have a group. There's nothing wrong with that. I try to organize things when I get in game, and the only games that we've ever won on attack have been zerg rushes. There are too many advantages for the defender to do it any other way. I've never seen a win that involved the defender being outfought, just out flanked.

Giving the defender more advantages than they already have is not the way to go, if you ask me.

#14 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:59 PM

nothing was nerfed, it just added more objectives.

Those patch notes are looking pretty awesome though!

#15 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:05 PM

View Postpwnface, on 17 December 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

I'm pretty happy with most if the improvements and fixes that they've come out with.

I'm kind of disappointed that mass whining by the underhive is so effective at getting changes implemented though. The teams that weren't able to defend against light mech zerg rush will continue to get crushed by organized teams. Nothing has changed, they'll just find something else to whine about after they lose.

What is most likely going to happen is that there will be a team split or concentrated effort with 2 or 3 waves to destroy said generators, and then large rush against the main gun.

In essence... it's the same thing ultimately.

Of course, it is assured someone will not be able to handle it and complain.

#16 SpeedingBus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:05 PM

View PostSandpit, on 17 December 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

nothing was nerfed, it just added more objectives.

Those patch notes are looking pretty awesome though!

They clearly said they didn't want people zerg rushing for the wins so they implemented things to stop it... you can no longer win in 2 mins so its a nerf but just pretend that wasn't the PGI's intent.

Edited by SpeedingBus, 17 December 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#17 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:09 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 17 December 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

Of course, it is assured someone will not be able to handle it and complain.

no doubt

#18 Basilisk222

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 288 posts
  • LocationElmira Heights

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:10 PM

Well they changed the maps too. I said from the beginning that the Arctic Map had too little cover, they say they've added some. We should now be able to push in, take a point and hold it. Like soldiers really do.

#19 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:12 PM

View PostSpeedingBus, on 17 December 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

They clearly said they didn't want people zerg rushing for the wins so they implemented things to stop it... you can no longer win in 2 mins so its a nerf but just pretend that wasn't the PGI's intent.

No, that's NOT what they said
They said they didn't want it to be the only or best way
Base rush tactics, while they can be countered, are definitely not intended to be the only or best way to take a base

reading comprehension is OP

So pretend that you're right by misrepresenting what was said

#20 Ozric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:12 PM

Great patch. Several steps forward in several good directions, and seemingly no steps back.

Edited by Ozric, 17 December 2014 - 06:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users