The State Of The Summoner (Hey Pgi Devs, This Post Is For You Guys, Just Fyi)

BattleMechs Balance Loadout

1236 replies to this topic

#1001 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:13 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 09 March 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

I brawl with dual Gauss on it. Clan LBX20s? Ahahahahahahahahahahah no. There is something with a low cooldown on high damaging FLD weapons that makes me wonder why MW4 wasn't somewhat used as a reference to properly balance said mechs.

I'm hoping you refer only to like...ballistics? Because MW4s small and medium lasers were beyond horribad.

#1002 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:22 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 March 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

I'm hoping you refer only to like...ballistics? Because MW4s small and medium lasers were beyond horribad.

mechwarrior 4 had a bias towards big fat weapons. Thats why you saw gladbags with 3 erppcs and 2 clan gauss rifles poptarting until the mektek servers went down.

fyi if you used a cheese gladbag you are a terrible person.

#1003 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,757 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:30 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 10 March 2015 - 12:22 PM, said:

mechwarrior 4 had a bias towards big fat weapons. Thats why you saw gladbags with 3 erppcs and 2 clan gauss rifles poptarting until the mektek servers went down.

fyi if you used a cheese gladbag you are a terrible person.

ERPPCs and Gauss you only saw on 3P servers, mektek mods only continued the tradition of ERLL/LL being the king weapon. ALL HAIL THE CRAB!!! Light/Heavy Gauss and CapPPCs you would also see quite a bit.

Honestly, the reason MW4 nerfed smaller class lasers is because they just didn't do their math right. Go back and look at MW4 Vengeance lasers. On the clan side, both pulse and regular laser ALL have the SAME Damage Per Ton (don't remember if range was a factor in the equation though). They didn't account for the fact that between damage compression (4 ERML took up twice as much space as an ERLL) and I believe range. Not to mention they were probably remembering laser boats from MW3 so they probably decided to err on the side of caution.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 10 March 2015 - 12:31 PM.

#1004 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:35 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 10 March 2015 - 12:30 PM, said:

ERPPCs and Gauss you only saw on 3P servers, mektek mods only continued the tradition of ERLL/LL being the king weapon. ALL HAIL THE CRAB!!! Light/Heavy Gauss and CapPPCs you would also see quite a bit.

Honestly, the reason MW4 nerfed smaller class lasers is because they just didn't do their math right. Go back and look at MW4 Vengeance lasers. On the clan side, both pulse and regular laser ALL have the SAME Damage Per Ton (don't remember if range was a factor in the equation though). They didn't account for the fact that between damage compression (4 ERML took up twice as much space as an ERLL) and I believe range. Not to mention they were probably remembering laser boats from MW3 so they probably decided to err on the side of caution.

they also were miniscule damage paper cut weapons, and lasers weren't really worth it until you grabbed a large.

#1005 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,757 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:46 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 March 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:

they also were miniscule damage paper cut weapons, and lasers weren't really worth it until you grabbed a large.

There were two things they didn't factor:
  • That weapons with a faster recycle and lower alpha need higher overall DPS and DPT to compensate.
  • Hardpoint compression, you just couldn't mount enough of them to match the 7 Gun Nova Cat or 6 Gun Timby power, if you could've had 28 Gun Nova Cats or 24 Gun Timbys, things might've been different in MW4.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 10 March 2015 - 12:46 PM.

#1006 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:00 PM

MW4 ballistics were solid. My energy weapons preference unfortunately were for larger weapons (and it ended up staying that way anyways).

Some of us still remember how to brawl in MW4. Fortunately they translate here better, despite the lack of effective LBX and instead use Gauss (because MW4 figured that large cooldowns help improve TTK, unlike MWO).

Go figure.

Edited by Deathlike, 10 March 2015 - 01:00 PM.

#1007 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:39 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 10 March 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

MW4 ballistics were solid. My energy weapons preference unfortunately were for larger weapons (and it ended up staying that way anyways).

Some of us still remember how to brawl in MW4. Fortunately they translate here better, despite the lack of effective LBX and instead use Gauss (because MW4 figured that large cooldowns help improve TTK, unlike MWO).

Go figure.

I like your last point. I am not a fan of the gauss charge mechanic (no, it isn't because I can't use it. I am quite good with Gauss) and have no idea why they did not simply do what MW4 did to make sure it was not a DPS machine---give it a long cooldown so that it is the sniper weapon it should be and not outshine 10 and 20 class ACs at close range.

If I remember right C-Gauss was 8 second recycle there. While I do not suggest going that far since all other weapons have significantly lower cooldown rates in comparison to MW4 as well I think 5.5s or 6s would have been a reasonable alternative considering that the C-ERLL was I think 6.5s there compared to 4.75 here. Hell, to ease all the bitching about CLan Gauss being straight up better because it is lighter with no downside (even though our 'mechs are less customizable so usually have less space/tonnage free) they could have given IS 5.5 and Clan 6.

As things sit right now Gauss is my go-to brawling ballistic. Hell, it is my go-to ballistic, period. I have it on both brawling AND long range builds.

Edited by Kain Thul, 10 March 2015 - 03:36 PM.

#1008 Anakha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

Any sneak peeks as to the Summoner quirks yet?

#1009 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

View PostAnakha, on 11 March 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

Any sneak peeks as to the Summoner quirks yet?

Monday.

#1010 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:41 PM

Well, if you guys want summoner quirks, quickly, play 50000000 more games in the other 4 Clan mechs being tweaked and never play the summoner, seeing as PGI apparently quirked the Clans based on games played.

#1011 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:45 AM

Hi. I'm still here. ;)

#1012 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:24 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 March 2015 - 07:45 AM, said:

Hi. I'm still here. ;)

Just figured you were on Port Moseby fighting off the Clan invaders. seeing as that was a planet of attack like yesterday.

#1013 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:39 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 15 March 2015 - 06:24 PM, said:

Just figured you were on Port Moseby fighting off the Clan invaders. seeing as that was a planet of attack like yesterday.

Unfortunately, Comstar has apparently placed an edict of Interdiction on my ISP, so my ability to defend my planet is mildly stifled. *sigh*

Pretty sure Paul is paying them off.

#1014 Anakha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:51 PM

Just saw the summoner quirks. That is such a let down of epic proportions. What an epic failure by PGI. They basically telling us that they hate the summoner. They are basically telling us where they want us to put wpns and what type by tying quirks to specific omnipods. And the amounts of the quirks are so low and pathetic I cant believe it. They might as well have not even wasted their time since they will have zero impact on actual playability. They actually stealth nerfed some of the omnipods current quirks if you can believe that. 4% MG range is my favorite. Whoever did those quirks needs to be fired immediately.

#1015 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

View PostAnakha, on 16 March 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

Just saw the summoner quirks. That is such a let down of epic proportions. What an epic failure by PGI. They basically telling us that they hate the summoner. They are basically telling us where they want us to put wpns and what type by tying quirks to specific omnipods. And the amounts of the quirks are so low and pathetic I cant believe it. They might as well have not even wasted their time since they will have zero impact on actual playability. They actually stealth nerfed some of the omnipods current quirks if you can believe that. 4% MG range is my favorite. Whoever did those quirks needs to be fired immediately.

and thus, Bishop Steiner still has no reason to Buy... er... I mean capture!!, Capture! A Summoner (a la carte)

(Buy one? Sheesh, you'd think the Diamond Sharks were around, or something!!)

#1016 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:45 PM

View PostAnakha, on 16 March 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

It's nice when I don't have to say them myself. :D :P

#1017 drugfreeboy

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

Are those acceleration perks at all speeds now? or just at low speeds?

So far I'm pretty let down.

#1018 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:29 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 16 March 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

and thus, Bishop Steiner still has no reason to Buy... er... I mean capture!!, Capture! A Summoner (a la carte)

(Buy one? Sheesh, you'd think the Diamond Sharks were around, or something!!)

I just brought then with me... Merchant cast tends to do what an Elemental tells them...

#1019 Anakha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:08 PM

Guess a 51 page thread on the Summoner still isn't enough action to get PGI to devote some Development time to the Summoner so we will have to keep posting about it until they do!

#PGIBUFFTHESUMMONER

Edited by Anakha, 20 March 2015 - 05:36 PM.

#1020 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:11 PM

Yeah, MW4 did get damage very, very wrong...pulse lasers were an utter joke there....like 0.67dmg per shot and ****....lolwut?

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook