I Am Happy You Are Able To Laugh At Yourselves Pgi

54 replies to this topic

#1 Deathsani

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:47 PM

And that a weapon that you have balanced so poorly as to be useless is a gag gift.

The holiday stuff is fun but it does sting a little that you still haven't made this weapon worth taking unless it is welded to the inside of a mech.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:53 PM

We're talking about the Flamer right?

Assuming such, they are pretty sad right now:

#3 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:20 PM

But, but....flame throwers are wicked cool! Look how awesome it looks!

I recall a match I had in very early open beta, on frozen city night. An Atlas on my team put a flamer in each arm. At match start, he hit full throttle, pointed them as high into the sky as he could go and just let them fire flame jets up as he marched all the way to the downed ship. Lots of LOLs from that one as even then everyone knew how pointless they were.

Damn, did he look bad ass though.

he used them some during the match also, was funny seeing him flamer his foe's face while he let an AC20 shell fly at point blank.

but yeah, flamers are hilarious and wicked cool, and suxx ballz for any kind of utility though. They could just let them do some DPS dmg and at least then you could justify having one on a mech, fixed or not.

#4 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:31 PM

View PostEldagore, on 24 December 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

But, but....flame throwers are wicked cool! Look how awesome it looks!

I recall a match I had in very early open beta, on frozen city night. An Atlas on my team put a flamer in each arm. At match start, he hit full throttle, pointed them as high into the sky as he could go and just let them fire flame jets up as he marched all the way to the downed ship. Lots of LOLs from that one as even then everyone knew how pointless they were.

Damn, did he look bad ass though.

he used them some during the match also, was funny seeing him flamer his foe's face while he let an AC20 shell fly at point blank.

but yeah, flamers are hilarious and wicked cool, and suxx ballz for any kind of utility though. They could just let them do some DPS dmg and at least then you could justify having one on a mech, fixed or not.

They do DPS damage, it's just minuscule. Even with 8 of them chain firing 2 at a time.

#5 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:34 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 24 December 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

They do DPS damage, it's just minuscule. Even with 8 of them chain firing 2 at a time.

0.7 Dps, compared to the 0.8 Dps of the MGs. With heat, at less range, for twice the weight.

#6 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:43 PM

I got a lump of coal as a prize is that what your talking about?

2014-12-20 09:02:22 158 Cockpit Items: Lump of Coal

#7 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:45 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 24 December 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

0.7 Dps, compared to the 0.8 Dps of the MGs. With heat, at less range, for twice the weight.

I never said it was good, just that it exists. You know kinda like a rock on a road. Yep, that sure is a rock.

#8 Deathsani

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:53 PM

View PostFupDup, on 24 December 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

We're talking about the Flamer right?

Assuming such, they are pretty sad right now:

It's not so much that they are sad now, more so that they have always been sad.

#9 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:12 PM

They had utility. For a very short time after they first came out. I used to run a Dragon with an AC2/Gauss/Mlas, and when the flamer came out I immediately stuck one on. It was good for running up behind an energy heavy assault and keeping them handcuffed while your brawling teammates ripped them to pieces.

Nowadays that kind of strategy would get you shot by both your teammates and theirs, but for a month or so, overheating laserboats was a new and novel approach. Today it's too easy to just stare down a flamer and Fire for Effect. one of you will blink, and it will probably be the one using anything other than the roman candle.

#10 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:02 PM

Anyone weapon able to straight out nullify another player is OP.

#11 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:03 PM

View PostXetelian, on 24 December 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

They can't raise the target's heat threshold past 90%. They actually nullify their user more than their target. :\

#12 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:09 PM

View PostXetelian, on 24 December 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

Lasers and ACs do that more effectively than Flamers. Also more...permanently.

#13 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

View PostFupDup, on 24 December 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

They can't raise the target's heat threshold past 90%. They actually nullify their user more than their target. :\

Having that secondary effect and doing damage just wont happen.

#14 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:58 PM

View PostXetelian, on 24 December 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

Having that secondary effect and doing damage just wont happen.

I could understand that if they actually dealt good damage, but their DPS is only 0.7. Compare that to a Machine Gun that does 0.8 DPS.

#15 cranect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:03 PM

Hmmm.... I got 643 damage with my 7 flamer hunchy... I felt soooo bad for that battlemaster...

#16 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:17 PM

Just saw a a Stalker on River City Night use them to blind our night vision. It was pretty effective, even from +200m out.

#17 Marcel Bekker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:32 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 24 December 2014 - 11:17 PM, said:

Just saw a a Stalker on River City Night use them to blind our night vision. It was pretty effective, even from +200m out.

Ah, thinking outside of the "DPS/Alpha" Box, me likey very much. Consider too, the psychological effect of a flamer in someones face...it does not shake them to pieces like ACs or Lurms do, but they do blind them completely. Forget aiming accurately aiming at specific parts of an enemy in your face when he applies generous amounts of reactor plasma to yours. Then of course, a lot of players tend to slightly panic under screenshake and loss of vision, which leads to wild firing of all weapons, which leads to overheating...which is exactly what a flamer equipped mech is loking for!

If you really want to see someone **** their pants, use a 400 rated engine in a Banshee with some LPLs/MPLs and a flamer in the head E slot...the one in the mouth. :P

#18 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:36 PM

Flames are hosed by MWO's fail at putting their dual fire mode. That is, it's supposed to either damage a target OR add heat- not both at once in a mediocre manner.

#19 Marcel Bekker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:54 PM

View Postwanderer, on 24 December 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

Flames are hosed by MWO's fail at putting their dual fire mode. That is, it's supposed to either damage a target OR add heat- not both at once in a mediocre manner.

I would say they suffer much more from the heat threshold raised up to eleven in MWO, that and the lack of any heat side effects until you are at 100% heat. In TT you could heat an enemy up and mess with his targeting and movement because of the effects that get worse and worse the more your heat approaches the 30 value, with the mech getting slower and harder to aim accurately with as well as having a slight shutdown risk, all that at just 50% of maximum heat.

Edited by Marcel Bekker, 24 December 2014 - 11:57 PM.

#20 FETTY WAP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 456 posts
  • Locationspaaaace

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:59 PM

View PostMarcel Bekker, on 24 December 2014 - 11:54 PM, said:

I would say they suffer much more from the heat threshold raised up to eleven in MWO, that and the lack of any heat side effects until you are at 100% heat. In TT you could heat an enemy up and mess with his targeting and movement because of the effects that get worse and worse the more your heat approaches the 30 value, with the mech getting slower and harder to aim accurately with as well as having a slight shutdown risk, all that at just 50% of maximum heat.

So..
as someone who's never played TT.. what happens at 100?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users