#102 0111101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

View PostGreen Mamba, on 28 January 2015 - 02:02 PM, said:

Player base not big enough to do this It would put the Nail In the coffin

I agree that perma-banning players for their behavior is a bad move. I think temporary bans would be a good middle ground.

You BM your teammates once because you're having a really bad day and you slipped up? Fine, no punishment. Multiple tickets with screenshots showcasing your abuse over a period of time? Short-term ban from playing (1 day?). If you stop the problematic behavior after that, you never miss out on the game. If it continues, you get banned again for a slightly longer duration (3 days? Up to a week max for multiple offenses?)

So far I rarely run into toxic players. The MWO community is pretty stellar when it comes to their in-game behavior. But the ones I do run into are repeat offenders who just won't stop until something is done.

#103 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:22 PM

View PostKaspirikay, on 21 December 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

So, I'm sure we've seen abusive language being thrown about a lot and random TKers as well.

I think its time we had an in-game/after game rating system like that of LoL and other games like that. Those with bad enough ratings would get muted for a number of games.

Or those that has been reported as TKers would be locked out for x number of games.

On the flip side, those with good ratings would be seen as desirable players to play with. Maybe even give a paintjob or something if the rating stays up for a period of time.

Thoughts?

Know your CoC.

See it, screenshot it, report it to
support@mwomercs.com

#104 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

Internet is a den of wolves, if you can't take a bite. Don't go on it.

Banning a player, even temporarily, would be pointless. Bans will not discourage people from cursing and acting like an idiot. I'm sorry your feelings were hurt, but even the most massive games rarely ban foul language, because its too hard to control, and overall does nothing.

#105 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:26 PM

View Post0111101, on 28 January 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

So, what do I do now? Will PGI do anything about this if I submit a ticket, or would I just be wasting my time? I don't see any point in blocking him, sure that will solve the problem for me as I won't see his verbal abuse in-game but what about the other ten players on our team who have to deal with his abuse?

PGI is unlikely to do anything about it. Support is constantly backlogged since it's not monetizable. So many issues are related to low population I can't see them putting any real effort into this since it will only increase that problem. Most likely reports are simply getting the boilerplate we are looking into it and that's it.

#106 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

View PostBrody319, on 28 January 2015 - 02:24 PM, said:

Banning a player, even temporarily, would be pointless. Bans will not discourage people from cursing and acting like an idiot. I'm sorry your feelings were hurt, but even the most massive games rarely ban foul language, because its too hard to control, and overall does nothing.

No, @#$% that.

We need to put a stop to this behavior; "it's the internet" is no excuse and only allows the problem to metastasize.

We need to, in unity as a culture, stop tolerating the usual toxic behavior on the internet. We need to shout down and ostracize anyone that refuses to follow the "Golden Rule." Period.

"Foul language" is more or less fine; the "usual behavior" on the internet is NOT

Edited by Kraven Kor, 28 January 2015 - 02:44 PM.

#107 0111101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

I'm no stranger to the internet and my feelings weren't hurt in the slightest. I recognize that anonymity makes people act out in ways that they would not if they were physically present with the people they're talking down to. That doesn't make the behavior acceptable.

As for your last point, take a look at LoL's tribunal system. It works well (but it is a very different game so this is comparing apples to oranges for the most part.)

View PostRG Notch, on 28 January 2015 - 02:26 PM, said:

PGI is unlikely to do anything about it. Support is constantly backlogged since it's not monetizable. So many issues are related to low population I can't see them putting any real effort into this since it will only increase that problem. Most likely reports are simply getting the boilerplate we are looking into it and that's it.

I see. I'll submit a ticket anyway the next time the issue I talked about occurs.

Edited by 0111101, 28 January 2015 - 02:56 PM.

#108 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:07 PM

View PostRG Notch, on 28 January 2015 - 02:26 PM, said:

Untrue, PGI does look into and act on tickets regarding toxic players. Plenty of people have been banned.

#109 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

Jaded player is very jaded. :blink:

My experience with them has been quite excellent when I've had to deal with bad actors. Most of whom I've never seen again.

#110 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 28 January 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

Untrue, PGI does look into and act on tickets regarding toxic players. Plenty of people have been banned.

Have you been banned? If not you have no idea if that is true.

View PostKjudoon, on 28 January 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

Jaded player is very jaded. :blink:

My experience with them has been quite excellent when I've had to deal with bad actors. Most of whom I've never seen again.

So you can't prove anyone was banned either? Did they tell you anything about what happened or did you get what I said, the bolierplate we are looking into it? :rolleyes:

#111 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

View PostRG Notch, on 28 January 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

Have you been banned? If not you have no idea if that is true.

So you can't prove anyone was banned either? Did they tell you anything about what happened or did you get what I said, the bolierplate we are looking into it? :rolleyes:

So you want to violate name and shame for your own personal edification?

Maybe you should check your own toxicity.

#112 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:52 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 28 January 2015 - 03:49 PM, said:

So you want to violate name and shame for your own personal edification?

Maybe you should check your own toxicity.

Have you been banned? Otherwise you have no evidence that anyone else was ever banned for toxic behavior from this game. PGI won't tell you. So you can believe what PGI says and I will simply point out that they admitted to lying about working on CW. Why wouldn't they lie about banning players when they are so desperate for warm bodies?
Name and shame serves to protect PGI from ever having to actually do anything.

#113 0111101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:01 PM

View PostRG Notch, on 28 January 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

Have you been banned? Otherwise you have no evidence that anyone else was ever banned for toxic behavior from this game. PGI won't tell you. So you can believe what PGI says and I will simply point out that they admitted to lying about working on CW. Why wouldn't they lie about banning players when they are so desperate for warm bodies?

Likewise, you have no evidence that people haven't been banned. Take a step back and relax. Your ire for PGI's handling of past and current development of the game is showing in a thread that doesn't pertain to that topic.

#114 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

View PostKraven Kor, on 28 January 2015 - 02:43 PM, said:

No, @#$% that.

We need to put a stop to this behavior; "it's the internet" is no excuse and only allows the problem to metastasize.

We need to, in unity as a culture, stop tolerating the usual toxic behavior on the internet. We need to shout down and ostracize anyone that refuses to follow the "Golden Rule." Period.

"Foul language" is more or less fine; the "usual behavior" on the internet is NOT

I'm ******* Sick of people misusing the word culture. Culture is a set of behaviors and ideas shared by a group of people that is passed down as tradition. Also hate the use of the word Toxic. Toxic is something that is poisonous. You are not dying because someone said "**** you" on the internet. you just got your feelings hurt. Like saying a splinter is the same as taking a spear through the torso.

Nextly. What you are implying is that the VAST majority of the internet is a bunch of blithering cursing idiots. This is a common fallacy because the "stupid people" are the minority who are just really loud. Get 100 people in a room, and have 10% start screaming like lunatics, and guess what? the quiet people will probably tell others that the room was full of screaming idiots.

We got a few people acting like idiots, so PGI should go out of their way to crusade for polite behavior because someone somewhere might find it offensive. Better to just Silence a whole bunch of people because someone might feel bad for a few seconds, rather than ignoring them.

You know how Trolls work right? They need attention or they die. Every time you ban, call them out, or pay any form of attention to them, they grow worse and worse, desperate to feed of your butthurt. Someone is acting like a douche? chances are, calling them out or banning them is giving them exactly what they wanted, and just means they will come back again.

How about rather than PGI giving the trolls what they want, and banning people who act like {Richard Cameron}, we just ignore them, and in the 30 seconds after the match when you forget about them, we won't have to feed the trolls of the internet and we can all move on with our lives.

#115 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

View Post0111101, on 28 January 2015 - 04:01 PM, said:

Likewise, you have no evidence that people haven't been banned. Take a step back and relax. Your ire for PGI's handling of past and current development of the game is showing in a thread that doesn't pertain to that topic.

But I never stated categorically that PGI didn't ban anyone. I said it was unlikely. Several people stated that PGI did in fact ban people. Thus the burden is on them as they are stating that PGI does do something. All I'm suggesting is the more likely results. PGI history of lying as well as lazy and slipshod work are certainly pertinent to what they do.

#116 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:06 PM

View PostRG Notch, on 28 January 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

I'm fairly certain if they gave you a list of people they banned, you'd disbelieve it.

So... once again, I tap and cast ignore.

#117 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:11 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 28 January 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

I'm fairly certain if they gave you a list of people they banned, you'd disbelieve it.

So... once again, I tap and cast ignore.

That's fine, then please do it properly and use the forum function and don't read or quote my posts. It's tiresome to listen to people say they will ignore you when they can't actually counter your arguments.

#118 Insidious Johnson

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:29 PM

I believe ELO creates some toxicity. Good players are yoked with bad teams for the purpose of carrying the uninitiated through the game, regardless of whether or not they choose to learn anything from it. Also, there are different play-styles among the initiated from aggressive to leap frog retreat behind friendlies passive mode. There is always some reverberating banter when two units from different styles vie for control of the same teams tactics. Typically, the side who gets control often gets intentionally undermined so the discordant minority has a self fulfilling prophecy and an "I told you so" to dole out accordingly. Occasionally these two or several styles play nice together. Those are the exceptions. The game can be trying just on one's OWN team. With people shooting at you, expect it degrade. That is where YOU rise above it... or come here to start another one of these threads. Don't worry so much about what others do. This is a time for you to shine ... or come here to demand that others do as well... or else!

#119 InRev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:54 PM

View PostBrody319, on 28 January 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

I'm ******* Sick of people misusing the word culture. Culture is a set of behaviors and ideas shared by a group of people that is passed down as tradition.

http://dictionary.re...&src=ref&ch=dic

See entry 5

Also hate the use of the word Toxic. Toxic is something that is poisonous. You are not dying because someone said "**** you" on the internet. you just got your feelings hurt. Like saying a splinter is the same as taking a spear through the torso.

It doesn't kill the individual. It kills the community or the experience. It's not a complex metaphor.

How about rather than PGI giving the trolls what they want, and banning people who act like {Richard Cameron}, we just ignore them, and in the 30 seconds after the match when you forget about them, we won't have to feed the trolls of the internet and we can all move on with our lives.

Because that doesn't actually work. If that did then cyber-bullying, trolling, toxic (yep, I said it) communities, #gamergate, and basically everything for which the internet is notorious wouldn't happen. The internet is a cesspit because people are given anonymity and free reign to destroy without serious consequence.

This attitude:

Will only prolong or even exacerbate the problem. There is absolutely no reason why the internet, and online gaming specifically, cannot be universally enjoyed by people of all ages and emotional or psychological toughness. The actions of a vicious minority should not set the tone for everything that takes place and 'Step' 1 for rectifying the problem is to stop being an apologist.

Civilization only ever progressed because someone out there said "enough with the barbarism" and created rules and codes of conduct that were enforced effectively. It's time the internet subculture fell in line as well and learned how to be civilized humans.

#120 Zensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 605 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

View PostKaspirikay, on 21 December 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

So, I'm sure we've seen abusive language being thrown about a lot and random TKers as well.

I think its time we had an in-game/after game rating system like that of LoL and other games like that. Those with bad enough ratings would get muted for a number of games.

Or those that has been reported as TKers would be locked out for x number of games.

On the flip side, those with good ratings would be seen as desirable players to play with. Maybe even give a paintjob or something if the rating stays up for a period of time.

Thoughts?

We should reduce them by 50%

If that fails we should have further reductions, say 25%

And then 10% reductions until they are all eliminated.

If my math is correct we should have 100% of the reductions needed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users