The Myth Of The Lrm Noob

146 replies to this topic

#141 F4T 4L

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:54 PM

View PostbobF, on 24 December 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

I'm not offended by your post, but highly amused. This thread was basically created to affirm that people using the easiest weapon system in the game (and the easiest mechanics in FPS in general, self-guided bullets) somehow are still displaying some showcase of skill. That's what I'm pointing out here, and finding amusing.

I'll say this though: if you're using lurms as dumb fire weapons, on purpose, THAT takes some skill right there. Aiming slow projectiles that fire in an arc? I guess you might earn today's PvP gold star. Everyone else that thinks finding your own targets is somehow a great feat? Just lol.

Oh, making ANY weapon effective in fps pvp takes skill? Well, I'm happy we altered the argument again, even lurmers can be included in that broad, general statement. Making your dedicated lurm boat into some kind of super hard mode, high-skill-ceiling'd display of uberness, however, is just a tad incorrect.

See you on caustic, in the solo queue, ok buddy?

#142 F4T 4L

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:04 PM

View PostGalenit, on 26 December 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

Radarderp is a crutch,
i use ams on nearly every mech, but i still not unlocked the crutch.
Every other module gives me more advantage, i sometimes get killed be lrms, sometimes i get half of my mech destroyed by them, but for every lrm that kills or crippels my mech, the same happens a lot more often by every other weapon.
I know what i have to do, how i have to move and what i have to watch for.
I have a warning, have time to react and can roll the damage, dual gauss or 4 ppcs are much more worse ...

For every narc that killed me, i get killed 50 or more times by other weapons.
Iff someone comes that near to me to stick a narc against one or more ams, he has worked for it.
I play a narc raven for myself, its fun if you stick the little "kick me" post on someone, but you have to work for it and often get killed by trying it. Its not that much rewarding in numbers, but for giggles and fun.

And being in the wrong spot or at the wrong time can happen allways.
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you and sometimes you are just too stoned.

Why do i most times more damage in a c1 with 8 tons ammo then a real boat with 12+ tons of ammo and more then my 30 tubes?
Why do i most times more damage and kills in a 20 tubes stalker (8 tons launchers, 12 tons lasers) with 5 tons ammo, then a 10+ tons ammo lrm boat with more then my 20 tubes?

The last week i had (again) some games that worked like that:
Standing in my C1 on the hill of crimson and launching volley after volley after volley on all the mechs on the map and only get 2 times counterfire (i mean, that 2 enemys fired each 1 time at me).
They just ignored me, it was not my skill (maybe in climbing up there?), it was their lack of reaction that gave me 1000+ damage from my 1440 lrms.
If they were skilled i would have eaten some ppcs, ll and gauss or a fast mech has climbed up to me, or they have used cover,
Why do i say "if they were skilled"?
Because i had also some matches, were i had to leave the hill, because everyone were in cover or some lights come after me or some lls, ppcs or gauss made it impossible to stand up there ...

Right then. Radar derp is a crutch, but ams, which is a complete waste of tonnage,and gives your position away at every opporunity, is awesome.

Ok then.

View PostNauht, on 24 December 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

Congratulations nugget!

You've mastered how to pilot your mech, being aware of your surroundings, using cover to good effect to minimise damage, keeping aware of where your lance mates are. Well done, you passed basic skills for ALL mechwarriors.

Now you got two choices:

- do you want to learn how to shoot properly and bring the fight to them?

OR

-do you want to sit back with the yellowbeards behind a rock, after learning what you learnt in basic, letting your weapon aim for you?

[Redacted]

Edited by John Wolf, 03 January 2015 - 06:04 AM.
Unconstructive

#143 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:05 PM

View PostF4T 4L, on 26 December 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

Right then. Radar derp is a crutch, but ams, which is a complete waste of tonnage,and gives your position away at every opporunity, is awesome.

Ok then.

I use neither, in most cases..... and almost never die, or take heavy fire from LRMs... despite driving an 80 kph Medium Mech. Blows my mind, all the "Pros" who can't handle a few LRMs, ya know?

#144 CuriousCabbitBlue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

people who think lrms are easy are something special x3

easy to get a lock an shoot, sometimes~~~

still love my lrm 70 maddog alpha once, charge in with chainfire missiles an small lasers, who even needs a lock on then xD

and even with narc/tag/art the damage is still spread o3o its such a ineffective weapon, travel time, lack of pin point damage(front loaded whatever)

heat is another issue alot boaters have

IS missiles can't hit under 180(clans do alot less damage under that till almost nothing)-- so many people try to stay back an when they do this they lose to the normal mechs,

if they ave alot boaters clump your team up an charge in, making it a brawl is pretty much like making the lrm boats dead away without the need to focus them

missile boats biggest advantage is physiological, if your losing to boaters your most likely getting out played or your playing wrong

yes getting caught out is a pain be it by aspotter or a UVA (so many people never check for to them an they should be shot down asap even without lrm boats around)

use lrmboaters against lrm boaters~!

or we could you know always bring back poptarting or the 6 ppc stalkers

on another note when I was a new I didn't like missiles at all xD I wanted all the lasers~! pew pew

the radar derp mod, I use on my lights more to try an not be noticed to sneak up , only really use it on my huggin

ams? only few of my mechs have it, namely my kit fox

an clan lrm are even weaker the IS lrms do to the streaming, though that makes them more annoying, which is why even at point blank I'll use them for that screenshake

now you want op just wait for the http://www.sarna.net/wiki/MRM-40 if they are ever released xD

#145 F4T 4L

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:36 PM

View PostCuriousCabbitBlue, on 26 December 2014 - 07:23 PM, said:

people who think lrms are easy are something special x3

easy to get a lock an shoot, sometimes~~~

still love my lrm 70 maddog alpha once, charge in with chainfire missiles an small lasers, who even needs a lock on then xD

and even with narc/tag/art the damage is still spread o3o its such a ineffective weapon, travel time, lack of pin point damage(front loaded whatever)

heat is another issue alot boaters have

IS missiles can't hit under 180(clans do alot less damage under that till almost nothing)-- so many people try to stay back an when they do this they lose to the normal mechs,

if they ave alot boaters clump your team up an charge in, making it a brawl is pretty much like making the lrm boats dead away without the need to focus them

missile boats biggest advantage is physiological, if your losing to boaters your most likely getting out played or your playing wrong

yes getting caught out is a pain be it by aspotter or a UVA (so many people never check for to them an they should be shot down asap even without lrm boats around)

use lrmboaters against lrm boaters~!

or we could you know always bring back poptarting or the 6 ppc stalkers

on another note when I was a new I didn't like missiles at all xD I wanted all the lasers~! pew pew

the radar derp mod, I use on my lights more to try an not be noticed to sneak up , only really use it on my huggin

ams? only few of my mechs have it, namely my kit fox

an clan lrm are even weaker the IS lrms do to the streaming, though that makes them more annoying, which is why even at point blank I'll use them for that screenshake

now you want op just wait for the http://www.sarna.net/wiki/MRM-40 if they are ever released xD

my opinion; lrms work fine, unless boated.

All my assaults carry support lrm (15 usually) and that helps score assists in the early stages.. Cockpit rattle helps in brawls also :)

If you don't have backup weapons, in solo queue, make sure you've a friendly light backing you up.. if not, you're simply firestarter bait.

Edited by F4T 4L, 26 December 2014 - 07:37 PM.

#146 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:39 PM

View PostF4T 4L, on 26 December 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

If you don't have backup weapons, in solo queue, make sure you've a friendly light backing you up.. if not, you're simply firestarter bait.

Locust bait better.

They are smaller, "weaker" but faster and sneakier
(not to mention far more embarrassing to be killed by)

#147 Galenit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:06 AM

View PostF4T 4L, on 26 December 2014 - 07:04 PM, said:

It makes the difference of loosing some armor or having an open section on the way to cover (roll the missiles (damage), let the ams take some missiles away and you dont get that much damage) and it saves you a lot for narcs.

You know that you can turn your ams off, if you dont want to give your position away?
And if you or someone near you is locked, they know where you are ...

But the most advantage for ams is, that you give your teammates that cant handle lrms some protection.

If only more people would use ams in pugs, because there is where lrms are more effective ...
... on the other side, i dont want more people use ams in pugs, because i have a mech with ripplefire lrms and being forced to volleyfire reduces this mechs efficence a lot and it would make my narc ravens life a lot more dangerous because for every ams that is near i need to get more near to the victim to stick the narc.

Edited by Galenit, 27 December 2014 - 03:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users