Avoid The Gargoyle

95 replies to this topic

#1 Fonzie260

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:22 AM

Being an Assault mech you would think that you would have options due the amount of weight but not in my experience... yes you can opt for lasers, missiles, or cannons, the only issue with missiles or cannons is you can't get enough ammo to do diddle which makes you a laser mech... now with that said.... the responsiveness of the mech leave one wondering what a good mech is.... and yea before you say Omnipod.... what a joke... three omni pods for the head that do the same thing... shall we mention the legs..... not now... just really sick of joke clan mechs being handed off as if they are truly viable.

I'm not going to debate the dev boot lickers about what makes a mech great.. this is my experience so deal with it.

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:26 AM

We're well aware of it. It's a bad Loki.

Not terribad, but not worth 80 tons.

#3 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:27 AM

Put a big Ultra Cannon on one arm, then a bunch of medium lasers. play it like a giant centurion.

#4 Von Blumen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:31 AM

Gauss and 4 mediums or laser vomit. Works well for me. Main issue is the arms are so damn low. Is it viable in competitive drops? No. For CW or pugging it is fine, not the best choice, but not the worst either.

#5 FETTY WAP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 456 posts
  • Locationspaaaace

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostBrody319, on 22 December 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

Put a big Ultra Cannon on one arm, then a bunch of medium lasers. play it like a giant centurion.

Too bad the Stormcrow can do that - and be faster.. and smaller.

#6 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:46 AM

View PostLava Cookies, on 22 December 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

Too bad the Stormcrow can do that - and be faster.. and smaller.

but thats a medium, and this is an assault. an assault that runs 81 kph. Thats pretty nice especially when you need to keep up with faster mechs.

#7 The Boz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:48 AM

OK, I'll bite.
Why is the Gargoyle bad, but Victor is not?

#8 Fonzie260

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:50 AM

who asked you to bite and who said anything about the victor... please check the title of the thread.

#9 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:52 AM

View PostThe Boz, on 22 December 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

OK, I'll bite.

Victor isn't totally bad. I've seen a few dragon slayers do well. Just they don't do good against anything bigger, like a battlemaster, banshee, king crab, warhawk, dashi, atlas ect.

Gargoyle really has very limited tonnage for weapons.

#10 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostFonzie260, on 22 December 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

who asked you to bite and who said anything about the victor... please check the title of the thread.

TIL we need to be invited to a thread in order to comment on it.

#11 Fonzie260

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

View PostThe Boz, on 22 December 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

TIL we need to be invited to a thread in order to comment on it.

[color=#959595]I'm not going to debate the dev boot lickers about what makes a mech great.. this is my experience so deal with it. [/color]

#12 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:19 PM

I'm a ... dev boot licker? What?
I ask because I often see Victors being hailed as "great" on this forums, yet their quirks (recent as they are) are fairly weak. They're slower, can carry JJs, but otherwise they both fit the "flanker 80t assault" role...
The mechs are comparable, but the Gargoyle is described as ***** tier, while the Victor is often praised... I don't get it.

#13 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:21 PM

OK, I'll bite.

The Victor can mount superior ballistics for one.

I wouldn't go so far as to call the Gargoyle "bad"....its just that in a tonnage based system it gets outgunned by lighter 'mechs. Now in a 1/1/1/1 or 3/3/3/3 then it definitely has a use but I can't see why anyone would take it over a Warhawk or Timber Wolf in CW.

#14 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:21 PM

View PostThe Boz, on 22 December 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

I'm a ... dev boot licker? What?
I ask because I often see Victors being hailed as "great" on this forums, yet their quirks (recent as they are) are fairly weak. They're slower, can carry JJs, but otherwise they both fit the "flanker 80t assault" role...
The mechs are comparable, but the Gargoyle is described as ***** tier, while the Victor is often praised... I don't get it.

they were considered tier 1 before the quirking. Since PGI decided to use the competitive side and not the pug side, the Victor is considered one of the best assaults in the game, thus did not get quirks. PUGs where any mech bigger than a Victor is frequently used the Victor suffers against superior firepower and armor.

#15 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:32 PM

View PostFonzie260, on 22 December 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:

I'm not going to debate the dev boot lickers about what makes a mech great.. this is my experience so deal with it.

So anyone with a contrary opinion is automatically a "boot licker"

Nice qualifier. :rolleyes:

Many friends... Much wow... no time to debate...

#16 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:35 PM

OK, I'll bite.

The Victor has more weapon tonnage and hardpoint variety, generally allowing for stronger and/or more varied loadouts.

The VTR also gets JJs to use and has a "Large" movement archetype, whereas the Gargles is considered "Huge" (making it really bad at climbing slopes).

#17 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 22 December 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

The Victor can mount superior ballistics for one.

That's the only point I see going for it... Then again, the Gargoyle can mount superior SRMs and boat CERMLs, making a pretty devastating close- and medium-range punch. That, coupled with the speed and C-XL survivability, makes the GAR better, IMO.

#18 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:37 PM

OK, I'll bite.

Ability to mount 40 tons of guns? isACs? More than 12 SRM tubes? HoverJets™?

Better, but not exceedingly so. PGI nerfed the things that made it good. Still, 40>20.

View PostThe Boz, on 22 December 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

That's the only point I see going for it... Then again, the Gargoyle can mount superior SRMs and boat CERMLs, making a pretty devastating close- and medium-range punch. That, coupled with the speed and C-XL survivability, makes the GAR better, IMO.

It can't boat ERMLs if you take multiple SRMs. It can have a single 6 pack and 6 ERMLs; but that's a waste.

#19 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostFupDup, on 22 December 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

The Victor has more weapon tonnage and hardpoint variety, generally allowing for stronger and/or more varied loadouts.

The VTR also gets JJs to use and has a "Large" movement archetype, whereas the Gargles is considered "Huge" (making it really bad at climbing slopes).

I choose to ignore the "huge" bit and pretend it isn't there, because I seriously expect them to switch it with the King Crab. If they don't, then WTF, PGI!?
Free tonnage difference is easily compensated for with lighter weapons, although both are somewhat "taxed" here. Varied loadouts, IMO, go to the GAR. Many of the VTRs play identically...

#20 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostThe Boz, on 22 December 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

But close-medium range laser boats can't stay in the fight for extended periods of time and spread their damage all over the place. IS AC/20 + SRMs will outbrawl any clan laser boat any day.

Don't get me wrong, I like my 8 CERML 28 DHS Gargoyle build but I know its limitations.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users