53 replies to this topic

#21 Jownzee

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:20 AM

I've been enjoying my (I) variant. I've set mine up with 2xAC20, 2xMLAS and 2xSRM6's. Great brawler and very fun to play (26/9 K/D in 19 rounds). Think I've even got enough XP to unlock all the elite tier as soon as I unlock it. I've also been using the 0000 variant too (couldn't wait for Cbills so bought it anyway!) but only done a few rounds in it yet so still getting used to it.

Edited by Jownzee, 23 December 2014 - 07:23 AM.

#22 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:25 AM

4uac

press all the buttons

#23 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:38 AM

I finally rolled out my KC for the first time this weekend. For the first few matches I tried the stock loadout, and did OK with it, but it was really easy to overheat. Then I swapped out the FF for ES, upgraded to DHS, added more ammo, and man, what a difference that made. Plus, at least on a couple occasions, getting left behind by my team worked in my favor, as I ended up flanking the enemy while they were distracted by the rest of my team.

I came up behind this Nova that was firing away at my teammates and blasted him with a shot from one of my AC/20s and his whole mech lurched. I can only imagine what he was thinking when he turned around to see my fresh king crab staring him down less than 250 meters away. He did try and fight me but didn't last long. I had so many moments like that this weekend, it was quite entertaining. You really don't want a King Crab sneaking up behind you.

I had some bad games too, don't get me wrong. There were a few games where I tried to lead a charge, and found out too late I was the only one charging. Made for a very short game for me. I should have known better from my days as an Atlas pilot, but there you go.

Edited by 0bsidion, 23 December 2014 - 08:12 AM.

#24 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:48 AM

I'm a fan. Its my first assault mech.

#25 PurpleNinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:56 AM

I love it.

#26 blood4blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 527 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:05 AM

I have the loyalty KC, it's a beast (although the stock loadout is so ammo deficient it's a joke). But I like shooting KC's even more than piloting one, especially when someone puts in an XL engine and you get the whole mech with a side torso shot instead of just component damage.

#27 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:18 AM

Tried the AC20/2ERLL build, wasn't getting anywhere. Though I think I was in an ELO hole, as my teams I was getting were horrid at best.

So now I've rebuilt it with 4UAC5, since I typically like UAC5 builds. We shall see.

So far it feels like a very fun mech, but I'm not doing well in it. (Yes, I have plenty of assault experience)

#28 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:33 AM

Sometimes you kill everything, sometimes you die very quickly because of large torsos. It's clearly better than the Atlas, but I'm sticking with my mediums and fast heavies.

#29 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:52 AM

I feel very... exposed when I'm in my Crab. I started with a STD300 + 4 UAC5 build, but I found it tedious to get into position and maintain fire, since almost anything can run from you. I've been doing better with an XL350 + 2 AC20 + 2 ASRM6, and playing more conservatively.

Admittedly I prefer mediums.

#30 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:43 AM

I think this mech needs the Speed Tweak as well as the Basic x2 skills. With those, it should be much more maneuverable and a little faster, which will go a long way to making it feel like a big Cataphract, which is exactly what it is.

I've found the 4xUAC build to be fun and hilarious. Run it with the Fire Control Macro with around .183 seconds between rounds to force double fire mode. It jams, but when it doesn't... Good golly miss molly, does it spit led, as fast a Dire. It works well at close to medium ranges (100-600) but starts to lose it's usefulness past that, because people will just turn away and spread the pain, or run back behind cover.

For longer range, I have found 4xAC5 and 2xGauss far better. 2xGauss is great because you can pair it with 2xERLL, which makes a great long range team. 4xAC5 can be paired with a couple ML or MPL as a backup, and is probably the "any role" build because it works well with firing all 4 AC5s at the same time for some long range AC20 action, every 1.46 seconds.

So, yes, I love this mech. I'm sure I'll love it even more once I elite it with the other two. :)

#31 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:48 AM

king crab has potential once its skilled up. But I find its max speed and turning speed are way too slow without elite skills

the x6 ballistic crab is also the worst of the three variants IMO. The x2 ballistic, x4 energy one will likely be the best because of the very high mounted energy hardpoints.

Edited by Khobai, 23 December 2014 - 09:51 AM.

#32 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:56 AM

I like it, but I don't think its all that amazing.
direwolf still out damages it greatly.
its big advantage over the atlas is its high energy mounts

#33 Superslicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAlton, hampshire, uk

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:07 AM

I don't use mine, until they let us change the camo;s on them. all my champs are obsolete

#34 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:13 AM

View PostKhobai, on 23 December 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

king crab has potential once its skilled up. But I find its max speed and turning speed are way too slow without elite skills

the x6 ballistic crab is also the worst of the three variants IMO. The x2 ballistic, x4 energy one will likely be the best because of the very high mounted energy hardpoints.

Are you being serious? This is a 100 ton Assault mech with a "Large" movement profile vs the "Huge" movement profile most Assaults and some heavies get. Even without Elite skills, this thing's agility is more like a heavy than an assault, top speed not withstanding.

Now don't get me wrong, Elite skills are going to be awesome but the point is, even without skills, it is a great 100 ton Assault mech. Honestly I would take it over the Direwolf and Warhawk, any day of the week and I am a Clanner.

#35 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:26 AM

I love my King crab. I roll it mostly stock. Just 2 AC20s, 2 LLs, and 2 LRM 5s.
I think unless you are bringing AC20s you aren't really keeping the spirit of the King Crab alive.

#36 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:28 AM

View PostTheStrider, on 23 December 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

Tried the AC20/2ERLL build, wasn't getting anywhere. Though I think I was in an ELO hole, as my teams I was getting were horrid at best.

ERLL are too hot for that build. Use regular LL and I think you'll like it even better.

I have the AC/20 and LL cooldown modules on mine, and once I get into a brawl I stop using the LL and can still overheat the Mech while single firing the AC/20s. Of course by the time I overheat there are a lot of dead Mechs in the immediate vicinity. ;)

Love mine. Almost have 43k extra XPs so that I can unlock the Master module when the c-bill variants come out.

I do need to try it with AC/5s or UAC/5s, too, just to see how well it dakkas.

#37 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:37 AM

View PostRehl, on 23 December 2014 - 03:41 AM, said:

Just curious to see what people think. Personally, I only have the loyalty reward version, and I have to say that I enjoy it much more than I ever enjoyed a new Atlas (or Dire Whale, for that matter). It just seems a little more responsive for some reason (as far as actual movement goes). Also, the weapon placement seems pretty fantastic. The arms reach around corners for AC20 rounds to the face from virtual cover, and the other hard points are so high on the torso that they're great for hill hugging. I'll pick up two other variants when they are made available for cbills, but even with just the basics done, it's a lot of fun... most of the time ;)

Do you love it? hate it? dig it? disdain it?

one of the only assaults I like, since they clipped my Victors wings (unnerfed it has gotten a ton better, but my jump brawly playstyle does not mech with the new flying pig reality. :( DOuble sad as it was not needed to fix the Poptart meta....there were better ways).

Anyhow,,,enough nostalgia. Yes, I like the simple brutality of the KGC, I run my near stock, with DHS added, the Ferro swapped for Endo, more ammo (of course) engine, and more armor. Also upgrade the large laser to ER Large.

Nothing fancy. Just effective. How I like it.

#38 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:38 AM

View PostRoadkill, on 23 December 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

ERLL are too hot for that build. Use regular LL and I think you'll like it even better.

I have the AC/20 and LL cooldown modules on mine, and once I get into a brawl I stop using the LL and can still overheat the Mech while single firing the AC/20s. Of course by the time I overheat there are a lot of dead Mechs in the immediate vicinity. ;)

Love mine. Almost have 43k extra XPs so that I can unlock the Master module when the c-bill variants come out.

I do need to try it with AC/5s or UAC/5s, too, just to see how well it dakkas.

I still haven't gotten the hang of 2xAC20s, but then again I haven't really played many games with them. I always have luck with the single AC20 on the Atlas, so I should be able to pick up on it with the Crabs.

I too have been gathering XP for when I pick up the other two. I've gathered something close to where you're at... I just make sure to get that x2 bonus whenever I'm on. :)

It Dakkas all right... it does a very good job of it. Only the Direwolf will beat it in an all out face tank. 4xUAC5s with macros will sometimes give it a run for it's money however, as long as they don't jam up.

I really want those elite skills... January 20th seems so far away. :blink:

#39 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

Are you being serious? This is a 100 ton Assault mech with a "Large" movement profile vs the "Huge" movement profile most Assaults and some heavies get. Even without Elite skills, this thing's agility is more like a heavy than an assault, top speed not withstanding.

Not really. Its acceleration and max speed are both awful. It moves nothing like a heavy. The only characteristic it has that resembles a heavy's characteristics is torso twist speed.

Having a large movement profile vs huge doesnt mean anything other than it goes up hills better. It has no effect on anything else. Quite a few of the IS heavies have jumpjets or use the medium profile for hill climbing too, so the King Crab still isnt able to climb hills as well as them.

Edited by Khobai, 23 December 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#40 NovaFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:02 AM

I dislike the fact that one has to be the high priest of RNGesus for that many UACs to hold up reliably in combat, though.

Same reason I don't run a dakkawolf anymore.

Edited by NovaFury, 23 December 2014 - 11:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users