Thoughts or feelings on First person only?

614 replies to this topic

#1 Roh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD, US

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

First sorry if this thread exists. I just couldnt find a forum search anywhere.

That being said how do you all feel about first person only at release? I personally love it. I play first person for the immersion of it. And selfishly I don't want those advantage seekers using 3rd person to ambush me from complete concealment around a corner. At least not while being able to see me clear as day with their magically floating third eye.

LoL I want them to be nervous and twitchy as they wait, not knowing the exact moment I will step into view.

Edited by roh, 31 October 2011 - 08:39 PM.

#2 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

Between Third-Person being a huge advantage in MW4 and First-Person not even existing in the MechAssaults (let's not talk about them), I'm glad we can finally go back to the cockpit this time around. I'm glad it's gone and I hope it never comes back.

#3 AlanEsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:48 PM

So a future where people drive 30 foot tall robots doesn't have the tech skill to orbit some micro cameras for outside view? There's nothing weird or cheaty about it, it's real -today-. Give me the option for outside view please.

#4 WerewolfX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 501 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

Cockpit brings in that personal feel to the mech. Like this is MY machine 3rd person destroyed that as your able to just 'float' outside of it. IMO

Edited by WerewolfX, 31 October 2011 - 08:50 PM.

#5 Nathan Wassenar

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:51 PM

More simulator feel is good.

#6 Madurai

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:52 PM

View Postangelicon, on 31 October 2011 - 08:48 PM, said:

So a future where people drive 30 foot tall robots doesn't have the tech skill to orbit some micro cameras for outside view? There's nothing weird or cheaty about it, it's real -today-. Give me the option for outside view please.

Battletech doesn't hold up well when one tries to make a lot of real-world tech comparisons.

I like the idea of the first-person-only view.

#7 Tyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

I'm pleased with it. I was terrible in 3rd person anyway, found it hard to aim.

#8 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

While I personally prefer the idea of 1st person views, from an immersion stand-point, sadly, a lot of the time I am unable to play using it, since I'm one of those sad individuals plagued by chronic motion sickness brought on by shaky/wobbly 1st person views, or hand-held camera footage.

I tend to prefer 3rd person more out of necessity than out of any sort of realism/immersion considerations, and while there are the odd 1st person perspectives that are well presented and smooth enough to play with, I certainly hope that there is the option for 3rd person at least, in-case the 1st person once again proves to do me wrong.

#9 Beaker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationPreston, UK

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

Eithewr works fine, depends what you're doing most of the time. People whined about 3rd person in MW4 giving you an advantage when poptarting/hillhumping. I used to use either as a felt like it. It's not cheating, it's just a different experience.

Oh, and I was an AWFUL sniper.

#10 CobraFive

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

MW3 did the first person perspective best.

The way your cockpit moved around you when you walked, it gently rolled when you turned, and shook violently when you were hit. It really gave you that feeling, "I'm strapped to 100 tons of death metal!"

Needless to say I fully support forced first person. Besides, it gives the intel that light 'mechs provide even more benefit: If two heavy 'mechs are searching around corners for eachother, and once is supported by a scout, he can essentially see around corners.

#11 wolf74

• 1,272 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:23 PM

1st person for me, If I want 3rd person I'll go play City of Heros, D&D or (Creators of Life save us) WOW.

#12 Scurvy

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:23 PM

I'm cool with it.

Third person vision would give additional " Information " thus making the information warfare role less viable.

#13 AlanEsh

• The Bludgeon
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

View PostScurvy, on 31 October 2011 - 09:23 PM, said:

I'm cool with it.

Third person vision would give additional " Information " thus making the information warfare role less viable.

Not really. If you tether the camera close to the mech it's not going to ruin anyone's scouting fun.

#14 Roh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:30 PM

View Postangelicon, on 31 October 2011 - 08:48 PM, said:

And this amazingly impressive floaty camera of yours stays perfectly stable and survives missiles explosions as well as you mech covered in tons of armor how? Even if you want to try and claim they make sense technologically that sort of falls short for me. Really comes off as a half thought out excuse for the fact that you just want third person.

I make no bones about admitting my desire for first person only are selfish. I mean if third person is there I can use it as readily as anyone else. I just prefer not to. And no one else having it only makes me happier.

Now some sort of pop drone like the one from the years old trailer they put out? That was cool. Made more sense and had reasonable limits. Hope that does make it in.

#15 Megalodon

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

Would definitely prefer a 3rd person view option. As much as I loved the previous games, I get dizzy easily from prolonged FPS play while 3rd person doesn't do that to me. From a more general view, having 1st person only is fine, but I think giving the option for both is better.

#16 Roh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:42 PM

Actually reading the thoughts of others I would have to say I prefer to be only one or the other. I think the game design and flow will come out better if they focus on getting one view right. Seems like better odds that whichever they do will come out extremely well done.

Oh also.

Q. Will you be able to switch from first-person to third-person views?

A. The game is played from the first person. We’re exploring ways to have a third person camera that make sense from a gameplay point of view.

Right from the faq. This was more me curious how others felt about it then trying to effect game development.

If they do put in third person view I really hope that the very least it is a drone that can be damage, destroyed, and disabled. You know instead of the magical inner eye that lets you float outside of your body. :)

#17 WolfinExile

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:03 PM

I prefer to be able to choose to play as first person or third person as with every single past Mechwarrior game.

I like being able to see myself piloting a huge kickass mech, something that playing in a 1st person view cannot give.

#18 Lester McDougan

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:08 PM

First person all the way for me. Regardless of which they go with I would rather have only one view style. I can suffer through the loss of immersion of third person easier that dealing with people utilizing the advantages of 3rd person against 1st person diehards.

#19 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:15 PM

My only real fear with being limited to a strictly 1st person view, is that it creates a strong possibility that myself, and from what I've read in this thread, at least one other fan, may find that it renders the game completely unplayable for us. And I imagine that there are potentially others out there like us.

For someone like myself who's been a devoted Battletech/Mechwarrior fan, in every iteration, since I first discovered the game in 1990, and who's been waiting sooooo **** long for a new Battletech/Mechwarrior game, well, that would freaking suck.

There are those of us who use the 3rd person view not as an advantage over others, or as a game-breaker, but simply to make a game playable.

I really do hope they give us the choice of the two.

#20 FIST

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:16 PM

1st person only is great... the game is supposed to be a mech sim right?

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users