Thoughts or feelings on First person only?

614 replies to this topic

#601 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:19 AM

View PostLongsword, on 27 February 2012 - 04:29 AM, said:

I would actually like your cockpit to feature a screen (perhaps one that the minimap is displayed on) and make you able to switch that screen to various camera's mounted on your mech. (Such as rear cam to look behind you, and side cams if your mech doesn't have side windows on its cockpit) (you could even use this screen to look through the eyes of a UAV or friendly scout mech)

If the Mech is not equipped with this type of visual gear, it won't be MechWarrior. All previous games had/have Left/Right/Rear/Down cameras on screens or out window views.

#602 Maris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

I would actually like taking outer screenshots of my mech when its in battle but I've no problem with first-person. gameplay balance is important and 3PV will be exploited to the fullest, lets not be naive. Everyone uses that "look around the corner" trick in WoT and if such a thing exists here, it will defintiely be the same thing.

#603 Lucifer Black

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:04 AM

Right up front, I prefer 3PV and tend to favour Heavy/Assault mechs. However my experience of MW is restricted to MW4 single player. Having read through the pro 1PV posts, I am convinced this the way to go. It seems that allowing 3PV in MW4 online play resulted in a preponderance of Assault mechs which, even as a fan of the class, sounds like it would get pretty old, pretty fast. After all, where's the fun in piloting an Assault when everyone's got one? That said, I wonder if the the direction the devs are taking is going to swing the pendulum too far the other way. My understanding of the devs' vision is that they plan to have maps that are much denser in cover with a particular focus on urban combat. If you add this to the Assault mech's inherent slowness and limited torso twist on top of a forced 1PV, I worry that Assault mechs (and perhaps even the larger Heavies) will become, at best more trouble than they're worth and at worst, nigh on unplayable. I guess my point is , if we must have a forced 1PV, then we'll also have to have the sort of maps where Heavy/Assaults will be able to fulfill their role. Any thoughts?

#604 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:08 AM

View PostLucifer Black, on 28 February 2012 - 03:04 AM, said:

snip

I guess my point is , if we must have a forced 1PV, then we'll also have to have the sort of maps where Heavy/Assaults will be able to fulfill their role. Any thoughts?

I like to look at the 2009 Trailer as a sample of how that Urban combat might be. The Lights run about all willy "scouty" nilly, with the Mediums screening against enemy flanking maneuvers and protecting the Command Mech and finally the Bruisers meet up.

Then it is a straight up Slugging Match. Your "view choice" is decided. The Battle is right in front of you, save for opportunities to take cover while reloading etc. but once engaged, "Someone is going get a hurt reeaaal bad!" Preference being the other guy. :)

Some would argue they want to be able to move, bob and weave, but (imho) if your driving a 90-100T'r, your a Slugger/Bruiser. Sure you can move but not like a Light or Medium. I like to think of it in terms of Boxing weight classes.

The Heavier they get the less dancing (Ali was a one off phenom) you see, but by gummers when one gets hit. OUCH! You can feel it in your own bones. :D

Edited by MaddMaxx, 28 February 2012 - 06:09 AM.

#605 FACEman Peck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationB.F.E.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

I liked 3rd person in MW4 Mercs, mostly because it was easier to see and the cockpit was REALLY nothing to get excited about.

#606 Rastan

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

I played 99% of the time 1st person.. found it actually easier to play, except when getting stuck on something unseen.. I think 3rd person mode has some validity.. in a perfect world i'd ask for both but i'd rather have just 1st then just 3rd.

#607 Ray Mason

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

In a vehicle I like third person view (because part of the fun is admiring the vehicle) but from a competitive standpoint you need first person, otherwise it becomes about corners - you should be visible when you're trying to look behind a corner (bad example – APB). I'm not sure about cockpits (I find them overly restricting), but FOV of 85 should be a minimum.

#608 Mech Crusader 5000

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAny place that has Mechs, like here

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

I am doing another little survey and also to get everyone's opinon on this. What does everyone think about MechWarrior Online being first person? Would you rather it be third person instead or it be both? Me personally is looking foward to the new MechWarrior game being first person because I find it will make the game a little bit more intresting and most mech games that I know of are in third person only. Post your thoughts below. :ph34r:

Edited by Mech Crusader 5000, 03 March 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#609 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

All for first person - it makes sense to have a cockpit view. Also 3rd person gives an unfair advantage in that you can see much more than you can from the mech.

#610 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Post Police!

ready for thread merge in 3....2....1...

#611 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

View PostKaemon, on 03 March 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

Post Police!

ready for thread merge in 3....2....1...

Bump so I can merge it

#612 Fox5859

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

i personally like 3rd person view it helps get the scale of my mech compared to other mechs and it for some reason feels better, i wasn't very good with 1st person but i was able to do it that and getting to see my mech charging in at enemy mechs was pretty that and some people could use 3rd person view for machinimas or music videos or even series.

#613 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

I agree i only like first person shooters

#614 renegade mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

Like I stated earlier in this thread First Person only. Third person gives an advantage over first person. Seeing around buildings and hills while under cover. For those that get motion sickness, take your meds for it.

#615 Eegxeta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

I think first person view is going to be too cool to have a third person view. Oh and building have to show up on the rader because they don't in MW4 and that makes manuvering in the city while shooting hard and I have died because I hit a corner instead of walking into an alley.

Edited by Eegxeta, 03 March 2012 - 05:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users