Thoughts or feelings on First person only?

614 replies to this topic

#561 Sam Slade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:45 AM

Making anything 'forced' in an MMO is a bad business choice; that should make it simple.

The hardcore fans who want only 1st person with a million control variations will still play the game if there is an option for 3rd person view with arcade-ish controls. The 'casual gamer' will not. That should settle the debate for anyone that wants the game to have a real future

Edited by Sam Slade, 21 February 2012 - 05:45 AM.

#562 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

View PostFEK315, on 20 February 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

I played MW4 for 5 years and used 3 person a total of 30 hours, I only used it to see what my mech looked like.
After about the 6th hour of playing I knew the physical boundary of my mech so I think that argument is not sound.

Are you ignoring my proposal of probes for a reason?
or is that too simple of an answer?

I also played MW4 for many years. The first year or so was in first person because I didn't really like the way 3rd person looked. Then I got tired of getting shot through obsticles because MS couldn't be bothered to fix certain bugs so I went to 3rd person so I could at least see who was shooting me through hills, and maybe shoot them back.

#563 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:41 AM

Only style 3rd person I would be fine with is the F3 command for MW2, bringing you to a full screen overhead view. ;)

#564 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

IMO if there is a 3rd person view, it should be available with NO HUD or target reticule.

IIRC MW3 did it this way, you can admire your 'Mech all you want, but good luck hitting anything, or seeing anything on radar. You are essentially out of your 'Mech. No beeps when a target is picked up, no warnings if you're heading in the wrong direction of your Nav, nothing but your 'Mech riding into the sunset.

Edited by }{avoc, 21 February 2012 - 07:44 AM.

#565 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:49 AM

View Post}{avoc, on 21 February 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

IMO if there is a 3rd person view, it should be available with NO HUD or target reticule.

IIRC MW3 did it this way, you can admire your 'Mech all you want, but good luck hitting anything, or seeing anything on radar. You are essentially out of your 'Mech. No beeps when a target is picked up, no warnings if you're heading in the wrong direction of your Nav, nothing but your 'Mech riding into the sunset.

I could stand behind this. Though it could still be used to view around a corner unfairly. So a combination of this and the reducing what is visible by what the pilot can see could be interesting.

#566 SilentObserver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 21 February 2012 - 07:41 AM, said:

Only style 3rd person I would be fine with is the F3 command for MW2, bringing you to a full screen overhead view. ;)

I think we will get this. This is basically how i envisioned the battlegrid working. Everyone can bring it up. If you have some command modules you can do more stuff with it. But I always pictured it as looking very much like MW3. Which was great.

View PostSam Slade, on 21 February 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

Making anything 'forced' in an MMO is a bad business choice; that should make it simple.

The hardcore fans who want only 1st person with a million control variations will still play the game if there is an option for 3rd person view with arcade-ish controls. The 'casual gamer' will not. That should settle the debate for anyone that wants the game to have a real future

This is far from proven. I assume you have some numbers to back that up, but i imagine your just making stuff up to back your view. This isn't an FPS and that's what will make people want to play it.

Picking one FOV type keeps the player base from becoming segregated. A segregated player base is requires twice as many players to to keep the game active. 3rd person has so many advantages that its not really a choice. If its available, and you want to be competitive, you will have to use it. So if you want first person you end up on a FFP server, and now you've cut your playerbase in half (or some other percentage).

#567 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

Making anything 'forced' in an MMO is a bad business choice; that should make it simple. The hardcore fans who want only 1st person with a million control variations will still play the game if there is an option for 3rd person view with arcade-ish controls. The 'casual gamer' will not. That should settle the debate for anyone that wants the game to have a real future

CoD Modern Warfare is first person only and casual gamers are all over that crap. Why would mechwarrior be any different as a 1st person only game?

#568 Bloody Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

I'd prefer 1st person only for fighting, with the option to disabling the bouncy cockpit. Also having a 3rd person view with little (ie whatever you'd see from 1st person, ally vision not included) to no vision would be the best IMO.

#569 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 21 February 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

I could stand behind this. Though it could still be used to view around a corner unfairly. So a combination of this and the reducing what is visible by what the pilot can see could be interesting.

Depends on the angle. IIRC the angle was slightly below and behind and zoomed out.

Any 3rd person view can give you an advantage of being able to see around/above something, I think the trick will be making it so that you can't pan the camera around. So in order to view around that corner you'd need to twist the torso of the 'Mech or turn sideways or something so in order you get a hit you'd not only need to go back to 1st person, but turn the torso back.

#570 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

I don't know, but I've been told.
1st Person is the way to go!
Mmm, good!
Feels good!
Is good!
Real good!
Tastes good!
Mighty good!
Good for you!
Good for me!

#571 Gorith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

Yea. Every game forces you to do MANY things they are in general refered to as rules and mechanics. In counterstrike I'm Forced to play in first person, in EVE I'm forced to lock target before I can fire on it, should I keep listing them?

Also the community and game style can force you to play certain ways if you want to be effective In tribes you are forced to learn how to passibly ski if you want to be even remotely effective. But to turn this around on you 3rd person gives so many advantages you would be virtualy forced to use it to be effective

Edit oh on a side note since we are technicaly playing the pilot... 3rd person would be fine.... looking over your pilots shoulder in the cockpit.

Edited by Gorith, 21 February 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#572 Ramagar

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

View Post}{avoc, on 21 February 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

Nope, you will get a guy taping a crosshait right on the monitor negating that.

#573 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

View PostRamagar, on 21 February 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

Nope, you will get a guy taping a crosshait right on the monitor negating that.

If they want to do that fine, are they going to run around in 1st person so they can see anything on their radar and then switch to 3rd person for the fight?

#574 Zutha

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationLux

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:18 AM

If they include the walking bounce in 1st person mode, then 1st person only. Although, I'm fine with removing the cockbit nice bits if I wanted too as an option.

#575 SilentObserver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

View Post}{avoc, on 21 February 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

If they want to do that fine, are they going to run around in 1st person so they can see anything on their radar and then switch to 3rd person for the fight?

If it gives them an advantage in combat, then they sure will. Then i'll have to do it so stop getting wasted by pop-tarts. An i dont want to do that.

First Person, It solves a whole slew of issue's that the game will have otherwise.

#576 spicy cho

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

It's more an issue of situational awareness. Obviously there's a clear advantage in terms of visibility playing in third person, not to mention you can peek out from behind walls without exposing yourself to enemies, which is a really cheap but popular tactic. Regardless of being combat effective in third person, say by removing the crosshair and HUD elements, everyone will still move around in third person until they spot an enemy and switch cameras. I hope the game is locked to first person unless spectating or viewing a replay.

#577 Thomas Covenant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

I like it a lot. Playing in a mech cockpit perspective has a lot of atmosphere to it.

Although..

I think you should be able to release a pod that can give you 3rd person perspective- the catch, it can be jammed.

#578 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostThomas Covenant, on 22 February 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

Although.. I think you should be able to release a pod that can give you 3rd person perspective- the catch, it can be jammed.

I'm down with that, as long as its Raspberry jam.

#579 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 22 February 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

I'm down with that, as long as its Raspberry jam.

Lone Star!

Posted Image

Edited by CoffiNail, 22 February 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#580 Mudvayne

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Seems everyone is stating on why they do not like 3rd view based on Mircosoft's MW games. Is this not suppose to be Mechwarrior Online. The basic reboot to the franchise. Done by Piranha? I'm under the impression that Piranha plans to upgrade everything while sticking to the story lines, etc. Therefore, why can't 3rd view be allowed? I'm pretty sure that Piranha is not going to be half fast like MS allowing the bugs MS did....

Not to be egotisical here but I played both styles and let me tell you, I found 3rd view players to be more of a challenge then I did 1st view players to be!

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users