Thoughts or feelings on First person only?

614 replies to this topic

#581 Ramagar

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

View PostMudvayne, on 22 February 2012 - 05:04 PM, said:

Seems everyone is stating on why they do not like 3rd view based on Mircosoft's MW games. Is this not suppose to be Mechwarrior Online. The basic reboot to the franchise. Done by Piranha? I'm under the impression that Piranha plans to upgrade everything while sticking to the story lines, etc. Therefore, why can't 3rd view be allowed? I'm pretty sure that Piranha is not going to be half fast like MS allowing the bugs MS did....

Not to be egotisical here but I played both styles and let me tell you, I found 3rd view players to be more of a challenge then I did 1st view players to be!

Apparently you never played any campaigns in the other MW series. LRM launchers (and others) would lock on you behind hills and you would never have a true LOS but because of the 3rd person view it allowed it. I don't "per se" have an issue with 3rd person if it has all the disadvantages of first person. I don't see how they are going to do this from a practical POV of design. I mean i suppose they could place the 3rd person view directly behind the mech rather than above but what would be the point of not being able to see forward? People that will fight and die for this feature know and have used it in the past and it was a known bug and issue then as well. I HOPE they allow for combat in PVP esp as 1st person only.

#582 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

View Post}{avoc, on 21 February 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

IMO if there is a 3rd person view, it should be available with NO HUD or target reticule.

IIRC MW3 did it this way, you can admire your 'Mech all you want, but good luck hitting anything, or seeing anything on radar. You are essentially out of your 'Mech. No beeps when a target is picked up, no warnings if you're heading in the wrong direction of your Nav, nothing but your 'Mech riding into the sunset.

Third person is easy to fix without making it a useless joke with no hud or reticule.

Just don't render anything that the 'Mech cannot pick up with it's sensors or that the pilot cannot see from the cockpit. Problem fixed.

#583 PC Gabriel

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis,Indiana

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

Did i miss something isn't it already been decided it's FFP ?

Pop snipers was easy to kill if you paid attention to what was going on and knew where your team was and watched for the snipers ,and your team mates did the same .

And for the missiles -your crosshairs had to be on the mech to lock on which you couldn't do behind hills, and if you jumped and got a lock most of your missiles hit the side of the hill when ya came down (there was some guys pretty good at it but i wasn't) .

All the years waiting on this game just to see all this cryin about unfair advantages and i want i want (signing in under differant names to keep sayin it) did anyone grow up all these years?
Telling people oh you got motion sickness so sorry go play something else wow how rude can ya get .

This is a futuristic game there is alot that can be possible -- my favorite question why is it a civilization can build a 100 ton walking tank powered by nuclear reactor and can't keep a lazer cool ? Or can have flying rear camera that has a limited view range ?

I lost alot of friends (so did alot of other people) when microshaft gave us the shaft ,and alot of good pilots passed away (RIP)and will never get to see are favorite game finally come out , let the game come out then work out the kinks ..

Ok i vented alittle i feel better...

Brothers and Sisters hope to see ya on the battle field..

#584 Blue Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

As like most of you I like the idea of 1st person only for all the reasons already said, but for the poor guys with motion sickness maybe a simple toggle option to switch off/on the camera motion effect of 1st person view?

Although I do like seeing my mech stomping around from an outside view.. so how about an external non-combat, non-detection vanity view? lol.

Edited by Blue Shadow, 22 February 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#585 ArchLurker Chad

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:25 AM

Love it. Don't want them to ever implement third person view.

#586 ffhounddog

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:52 AM

I am a nobody but with the 3d outside view used as part of a defense system it works but in today's ground warefare we have had issues with images comming in clear. I am not the tech guy I was just the guy in charge and that was my experience. This is my time in Afghanistan we did not use this on my team in Iraq due to different mission.

On the first person only issue I only play first person because 3rd person turns things into the crusader game and if if I want to be a tactical commander might as well stay in a TOC.

#587 autogyro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:54 AM

How do you see that Hula Girl you bought for real money if you're not in cockpit view?

#588 Rattlehead NZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:12 AM

First person is what i always used. And having lots of armor but a lack of view is part of balancing imo. And as was stated before you dont get the effect of being slammed with LRMS when in 3rd person.

Third person would still be good, but with no hud and reduced viewing range. Good for looking at your mech and making risky landings between buildings.

#589 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostRattlehead NZ, on 23 February 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

Third person would still be good, but with no hud and reduced viewing range. Good for looking at your mech and making risky landings between buildings.

I think the developers have better things to do than waste time coding in a viewing mode that's useless.

3Pv can be useful and balanced, just don't render anything that the pilot or the 'mechs sensors can't see.

#590 FinnMcKool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

31 pages and will anyone read them all? not me, and I know no ones going to read my opinion, but here it is anyway:

3 rd person isnt a sim, only first person will really work , if fact 3rd person would IMHO ruin the game,its so sad that the kiddies want to turn this into some kind of spongbob game.

#591 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

View PostFinnMcKool, on 26 February 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

31 pages and will anyone read them all? not me, and I know no ones going to read my opinion, but here it is anyway:

3 rd person isnt a sim, only first person will really work , if fact 3rd person would IMHO ruin the game,its so sad that the kiddies want to turn this into some kind of spongbob game.

3Pv might be necessary, finn, if they can't get enough data to read out in the 1pv in a way that's easily grasped and controlled.

#592 FinnMcKool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

" rats " some one saw me.

ITs just this 3PV just makes it a console game not a sim, if I cover a Mechs face with Narcs, then he shouldn't be able to see anything let alone me, 3PV , he sees what he shouldnt , I understand its the future and all but even history shows some tech gets forgotten (making of glass,or cement, for example)

Just want to be totally in the game , want to be part of it not watch it in a movie (though that is a good idea)

and I hate the consoles and their game pads, Do you realize that there will be an entire Generation that will have chronic Thumb problems, We will have to devote entire wings of hospitals to people with Thumb problems.

#593 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostPht, on 26 February 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

3Pv might be necessary, finn, if they can't get enough data to read out in the 1pv in a way that's easily grasped and controlled.

Not really sure what you are getting at, but there is no information that TPV has over FPV other than the ability to peek over obstacles and around buildings risk free.

Edited by =Outlaw=, 26 February 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#594 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

View Post=Outlaw=, on 26 February 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

Not really sure what you are getting at, but there is no information that TPV has over FPV other than the ability to peek over obstacles and around buildings risk free.

Um, did you notice that I just said "don't render anything that the pilot or the mech's sensors cannot see?" ... that would remove the ability to do what you're mentioning.

3Pv does have the ability to portray the visual information of your direct surroundings in a way that 1Pv might not be able to; if they don't get enough information displayed in the 1Pv in a way that "works" and doesn't overload people. It's less simmish but does give the same information a MechWarrior gets from his in-cockpit hud and other viewscreens.

#595 Uncl Munkeh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 329 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

My point of view, you want to see something, turn your head or move your mech. I don't see any reason for a 3rd person camera view when playing.

#596 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

View PostPht, on 26 February 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

Um, did you notice that I just said "don't render anything that the pilot or the mech's sensors cannot see?" ... that would remove the ability to do what you're mentioning.

3Pv does have the ability to portray the visual information of your direct surroundings in a way that 1Pv might not be able to; if they don't get enough information displayed in the 1Pv in a way that "works" and doesn't overload people. It's less simmish but does give the same information a MechWarrior gets from his in-cockpit hud and other viewscreens.

View PostDRevD, on 20 February 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

I played primarily in forced first person leagues in mw4. Im well aware of how good a player can get at moving around in FP and still avoid bumping into things. But that is not what Im getting at.

Say you are behind a building and want to look down the street. Last visual of the enemy mech was behind the 3rd building down the street. You predict that mech is more than likely popping back and forth from behind this building. In first person, you would have to guess the exact location of that building as you pop out to take a look. In third person (even with your suggested feature), you can still see exactly where that 3rd building is. You can even line up your reticule so when you pop out its right over the expected location of the enemy mech. You pop out, you guess right and quickly take a shot at the mech. In first person, you'll need to be REALLY good at guessing terrain to do the same. Its a subtle advantage, but one competitive players would be stupid to pass up. I like immersion, but Im not willing to gimp myself to get it. Especially when rank/planets are on the line.

As for dev time, even if it was 2 days more...thats 2 days I don't play MWO for a feature that won't really change anything. Competitive players will be in 3rd, roleplayers will be in 1st. First person only, or open the flood gates to 3rd being the primary mode of playing.

EDIT: If you are confused, this is =Outlaw=. I keep logging in to the wrong account (<---reserving this name).

#597 Drizz

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:27 AM

wait an see how it plays mite be completly crapy mechwarrior an 2-3-4 an exspantions where all good very playable lot of people will not like haveing played 2/3/4 all having 3rd person mode and 1st limits the game an play im not bother im not bad at either styles

#598 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:29 AM

I would actually like your cockpit to feature a screen (perhaps one that the minimap is displayed on) and make you able to switch that screen to various camera's mounted on your mech. (Such as rear cam to look behind you, and side cams if your mech doesn't have side windows on its cockpit) (you could even use this screen to look through the eyes of a UAV or friendly scout mech)

Edited by Longsword, 27 February 2012 - 04:29 AM.

#599 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:36 AM

3rd Person view? No. This is supposed to be a simulation.

I do like the alternative camera in a HUD window idea Longsword just posted... we have backup cameras on our cars... why not have one on our Mechs?

Then again I'm sure ideas like this have been entertained, discussed and possibly even coded by Dev... and we just... don't... know.

Edited by SI The Joker, 27 February 2012 - 05:36 AM.

#600 Rattlehead NZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:18 AM

View PostPht, on 26 February 2012 - 04:34 PM, said:

I think the developers have better things to do than waste time coding in a viewing mode that's useless.

3Pv can be useful and balanced, just don't render anything that the pilot or the 'mechs sensors can't see.

No need to get snappy. My comments don't bring the end of the world or anything. Field of view or draw distance is a very common thing in games for along time. So if your sensors cannot pick something up it shouldnt draw it. So if your had a powered down mech behind your building, you want them to add extra codding not to draw the mech until you can see it in first person? I think shorter viewing distance is easier to code ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users