Petition To Make Planet Flips Based On Total Win/loss Count, As Opposed To A 0<->15 Bar. Let The Bar Go Negative If Defenders Win Continuously.

31 replies to this topic

#1 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:38 PM

This is a simple petition -

If it takes 15 "wins" to take a planet, then the Attackers should need to have at least 15 more wins than the Defenders during an attack phase...

... not just winning the LAST 15 matches, but rather a total of 15 more over the sum of all matches during that phase.

Anyone else think this is more of the **direction** they should be going? It would prevent "planet sniping" where attackers merely swarm a planet at the end of a phase and flip it, even though they may have lost most of the matches all day.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 24 December 2014 - 08:44 AM.

#2 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:20 AM

It's frustrating to defend a planet for hours, then lose it to robot ninjas before cease fire.

Would a total defence count lead to situations where winning a planet could be impossible, though?

Maybe instead, more successful defences could increase a window in which attack was impossible?

i.e: a planet fresh out of cease fire can be attacked immediately. As attackers hurl themselves at it's gates and are repulsed, a timer increases that prevents a fresh attack from launching until said timer has run out. Successful attacks would lower the timer. This window would stay in place after each battle until it was either lowered to zero by successful attacks, or increased to a cap by successful defences.

It could signify a planet strengthening it's orbital defence and land based weapon emplacements.

This would mean that a faction waiting to brute force the planet might have to devote a significant amount of resources if there were an extra 5 or 10 minutes between attacks.

#3 Chemie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:04 AM

Derf (Steiner) went from 40% to 80% in the last 30 minutes before CF. Numbers win. Zerg the last 2 hours is not a good game mechanic.

#4 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:31 AM

actually what PGI needs to do is keep gathering data.

Once they have enough they need to go and calculate the avg # of matches played per day per planet(that is captured by the end of the day) removing ghost drops and the like of course.

Then put in a straight system of X wins gets the planet with each Defending win either removing a "win" or just preventing a win from being gained (depending on balance)

then remove cease fire periods and let planets change as often as the # of wins are met.

This would remove any period of the day being more important than any other and allow a more realistic and fluid progression of the seasons.

#5 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:58 AM

View PostPh30nix, on 24 December 2014 - 06:31 AM, said:

actually what PGI needs to do is keep gathering data.

Once they have enough they need to go and calculate the avg # of matches played per day per planet(that is captured by the end of the day) removing ghost drops and the like of course.

Then put in a straight system of X wins gets the planet with each Defending win either removing a &quot;win&quot; or just preventing a win from being gained (depending on balance)

then remove cease fire periods and let planets change as often as the # of wins are met.

This would remove any period of the day being more important than any other and allow a more realistic and fluid progression of the seasons.

I like this and hope that PGI is collecting data- I'd rather have them use this beta as a useful way to tweak the balance than just a preview of what the final version is.

#6 Straith

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:22 AM

Something ya'll should take into consideration is that PGI will probably reset the universe at some point since we're only in beta. They should use this time to experiment with what works, analyze data, and get something solid. Then reset and go with that.

#7 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:41 AM

My idea could be easily-enough accomplished with a bar that starts at zero, and goes either negative or positive depending on the number of defensive wins or attack wins (respectively). So, attackers would need to end the day at +Number to take the planet, but several hours of successful defences could drive the planet score deep into negative values.

Thus, the planet snipers would need to bring that number back up to 0 before they can even accumulate any "wins" toward a flip.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 24 December 2014 - 08:42 AM.

#8 RustyBolts

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:07 AM

I think they need to adjust the wins to a total for 24 hours instead of a total at completion. Right now there is very little reason to play CW until the last few hours.

#9 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:35 AM

Total win % still favors the faction with the most organized Merc units, whomever that may be. The current system needs to be adjusted to only allow undefended attacks up to 8 and undefended counter attacks down to 7. Also, implement unannounced random Cease Fire cycles and possibly increase the CF cycles to 4 or more random Cease Fire cycles per day. This will eliminate most of the issues with the current system.

Also, setting things up this way will encourage Merc Units to go where they are more likely to fight more often, which will further serve to balance things out.

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 24 December 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#10 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 24 December 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

My idea could be easily-enough accomplished with a bar that starts at zero, and goes either negative or positive depending on the number of defensive wins or attack wins (respectively). So, attackers would need to end the day at +Number to take the planet, but several hours of successful defences could drive the planet score deep into negative values.

Thus, the planet snipers would need to bring that number back up to 0 before they can even accumulate any "wins" toward a flip.

Doesn't each of those 15 cells in the planet counter represent territory to be (re)taken?

In any case, having defensive wins set a counter to negative just does not makes sense to me.

For example, a planet has 10 installations that require capturing and 9 have already been taken over by the invaders. It does not make sense for some counter to go down even if that last installation has been successfully defended 100 times. All it should take to get the planet is for the invasion force to capture that last installation.

#11 BIoB

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:51 AM

I'd like to see them split the current 24hr attack phase into 6 seamless 4hr blocks ( i.e no ceasefire between blocks bar the last). A faction would require 4 blocks to flip or successfully defend a planet each day.

Each block could still be split into the 11 or 15 segments that would be fought over as we currently do but it would stop factions over saturating the last two hours of the attack phase to claim the planet.

It would also give meaning to the game play of us non North American players which Im sure would be appreciated ( Im a GMT player)

Any thoughts?

#12 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:05 AM

^ this is very similar to an idea I came up with: http://mwomercs.com/...-brainstorming/

Basically the day is separated into three portions, and you need to win two of those portions to earn a planet. (more details inside)

#13 BIoB

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:45 AM

@ Tarogato

Ye man, we're on the same train of thought, I really think this is the best (short term?) solution.

I like the irregular hour attack phase (i.e 21hrs, 27hrs etc)

I think having slightly shorter attack phases would stop people overloading the last 2hrs though (you could still do that in a 9 or 7 hour attack phase)

+1 any of these treads if you guys agree

#14 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 23 December 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

This is a simple petition -

If it takes 15 "wins" to take a planet, then the Attackers should need to have at least 15 more wins than the Defenders during an attack phase...

... not just winning the LAST 15 matches, but rather a total of 15 more over the sum of all matches during that phase.

Anyone else think this is more of the **direction** they should be going? It would prevent "planet sniping" where attackers merely swarm a planet at the end of a phase and flip it, even though they may have lost most of the matches all day.

I am placing this link here just in case you or someone else in this thread missed Russ' commentary on this.

#15 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:06 PM

OP just handed the entire galaxy to the most populated faction. In this case, Davion.

Periodic resets are necessary to make sure numbers don't rule the game. It makes sense in real war, but it's not a good idea for a video game.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 24 December 2014 - 02:07 PM.

#16 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:12 PM

The obvious downside to this plan is that the faction with the largest off peak population sets the bar for the rest of the day, and can actually make an insurmountable hill to climb during the Hot Zone timeframe.

Coming from a deficit of 15 is hard enough, climbing an entire day of where there may or may not be opposition well...

I'm more of mind of GrizzlyVikings idea here
http://mwomercs.com/...zone-cap-limit/

#17 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

View PostMystere, on 24 December 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

I am placing this link here just in case you or someone else in this thread missed Russ' commentary on this.

And for the context of Russ's post
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4041845

#18 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:20 PM

All this is does is further buff factions with larger populations.

For example CJF would never take it's current 1 planet to attack in Steiner territory, they also wouldn't defend one either because Steiners population is much greater.

#19 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

Most wins in 24 hours. I like that, it also helps balance between timezones.

#20 ztac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:11 PM

Yep they need a formula for balancing factions with more players than others because of the 'free' wins. Most wins certainly favours factions that can get more people in different time zones or low pop time zones. Because this is what we are really talking about here is the fact that the last 2 hours is in a certain time zone and no doubt it is probably the biggest one at that.

I have in the past seen games across multi time zones and people work to a goal for 20 hours only to lose it all in the last 4 simply because they have no players in that time zone. And recruiting is near impossible because the few people that do play in it all want to be in the same clan/group/corp/guild/faction/ etc etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users