Can We Get An Update On Masc And The Flea?

BattleMechs Upgrades News

34 replies to this topic

#1 Mahpsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:43 AM

I haven't been playing much as of late but I'm curious if there is even a update on the state of MASC finally being put in so I can get my adorable Flea. Please PGI, pretty pleaseyyyPosted Image

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:45 AM

Having MASC so that we can get mechs like the Shadow Cat and Gladiator (Executioner) would be kewl.

That being said, I've never understood why people want the Locust 2.0 known as the Flea. Or for that matter, the Clan Locust known as the Fire Moth/Dasher. Both are 20 ton mechs, I shouldn't have to elaborate on the drawbacks of such...

#3 Mahpsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:47 AM

View PostFupDup, on 24 December 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

Having MASC so that we can get mechs like the Shadow Cat and Gladiator (Executioner) would be kewl.

That being said, I've never understood why people want the Locust 2.0 known as the Flea. Or for that matter, the Clan Locust known as the Fire Moth/Dasher. Both are 20 ton mechs, I shouldn't have to elaborate on the drawbacks of such...

That's kind of like saying why would anyone want the Urban Mech, yeah it's not all that good, but still iconic for some but not all people.

#4 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:50 AM

Because it isn't in the game and if they ask for it and it then turns up they can feel all special and go "I did that!" whilst getting squished.

#5 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:51 AM

View PostRagingdemon, on 24 December 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

That's kind of like saying why would anyone want the Urban Mech, yeah it's not all that good, but still iconic for some but not all people.

A lot more people care about the Urbs than the 20 ton MASC mechs in question.

Also, Urbs might have some potential in the form of a higher engine limit (not as fast as "normal" lights but it won't be stuck at 32 kph I can guarantee you) and it can carry more armor/guns. Might make something of a joke slow light like the current Clan lights do. 20 tonners on the other hand are usually easy to splat and only exist as tonnage placeholders in CW dropdecks.

#6 Mahpsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:53 AM

View PostFupDup, on 24 December 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

A lot more people care about the Urbs than the 20 ton MASC mechs in question.

Also, Urbs might have some potential in the form of a higher engine limit (not as fast as "normal" lights but it won't be stuck at 32 kph I can guarantee you) and it can carry more armor/guns. Might make something of a joke slow light like the current Clan lights do. 20 tonners on the other hand are usually easy to splat and only exist as tonnage placeholders in CW dropdecks.

But neither will be used at high elo play regardless so, we want it to have fun with them. Side note though, heavy quirk changes also make everything that much more interesting.

#7 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostRagingdemon, on 24 December 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

But neither will be used at high elo play regardless so, we want it to have fun with them. Side note though, heavy quirk changes also make everything that much more interesting.

I hope that for the Urbie's sake he gets quirked pretty hard, something like Thunderwub/Wubverine magnitude. It would be a shame for such a commonly requested mech to fade into obscurity after the first month or so like "Tier 5" mechs used to (and some still do). I remember a dark time prior to quirks when seeing mechs like Dragons, Awesomes, Thunderbolts, etc. on my team gave me a sinking feeling in my stomach...*shivers*

#8 Mahpsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:06 AM

View PostFupDup, on 24 December 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

I hope that for the Urbie's sake he gets quirked pretty hard, something like Thunderwub/Wubverine magnitude. It would be a shame for such a commonly requested mech to fade into obscurity after the first month or so like "Tier 5" mechs used to (and some still do). I remember a dark time prior to quirks when seeing mechs like Dragons, Awesomes, Thunderbolts, etc. on my team gave me a sinking feeling in my stomach...*shivers*

If the Urban mech gets quirks I picture something like this happening

#9 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:08 AM

View PostRagingdemon, on 24 December 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

If the Urban mech gets quirks I picture something like this happening

+100% Small Laser critical hit chance
+9001% Small Laser critical hit damage

#10 Mahpsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:12 AM

View PostFupDup, on 24 December 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

+100% Small Laser critical hit chance
+9001% Small Laser critical hit damage

That or some crazy AC damage and CD quirks.

Edited by Ragingdemon, 24 December 2014 - 11:13 AM.

#11 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

View PostFupDup, on 24 December 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

Give them high refire rate on the AC10 and...yeah, that'll do, pig. That'll do.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Flea in the game, either. It could be made different with quirks. I agree it's painfully similar to the Locust (by design), but it would still be fun and you'd have people migrate to one over the other.

Edited by Dawnstealer, 24 December 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#12 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:31 PM

People here are against MASC because PGI are against it.

Some call it OP yet only few realize that MWO uses run speed while MASC apply it's "OP" bonuses to walk speed.

Some say that servers won't handle it yet only mechs that move faster than 129 kph won't benefit from it due to servers limitations.

Some say it's hard to balance, yep the penalty for a failed roll (immobilize) is pretty severe and random, however looking at how it works in TT, how chance rises the more you use it, the penaly could be replaced with effectiveness drop the more you use it, plus it weight quite a lot while it's use is quite situational.

And PGI use everything mentioned above as an excuse.

Edited by kapusta11, 24 December 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#13 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:42 PM

I dunno. The actual Clan equivalent of the Lolcust wouldn't be that bad (the 1E is actually the best Lolcust after all). High firing mounted arms is a good thing.

Edit:
There's also an ECM variant (therefore, transferable omnipod) and would put that Pirate's Bane (Lolcust hero) to shame.

Edited by Deathlike, 24 December 2014 - 12:48 PM.

#14 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:54 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 24 December 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

I dunno. The actual Clan equivalent of the Lolcust wouldn't be that bad (the 1E is actually the best Lolcust after all). High firing mounted arms is a good thing.

Edit:
There's also an ECM variant (therefore, transferable omnipod) and would put that Pirate's Bane (Lolcust hero) to shame.

Imagine if the Mist Lynx's arms were mounted over the torso instead of on-level with it like the majority of mechs, so you couldn't even use your body to shield one of your arms. That's the Dasher in a nutshell. :\

#15 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

View PostFupDup, on 24 December 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

Imagine if the Mist Lynx's arms were mounted over the torso instead of on-level with it like the majority of mechs, so you couldn't even use your body to shield one of your arms. That's the Dasher in a nutshell. :\

I get that. That would be my actual fear. Those large cancer plagued arms would suffer.

Then again, the Mist Lynx is still too slow.

So, you do the math on that. :P

Give it "Lolcust industrial strength quirks" and the Firemoth wouldn't be so bad.

178.2kph after speed tweak would make it reasonably hilarious.

Edited by Deathlike, 24 December 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#16 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

View PostRagingdemon, on 24 December 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:

I haven't been playing much as of late but I'm curious if there is even a update on the state of MASC finally being put in so I can get my adorable Flea. Please PGI, pretty pleaseyyyPosted Image
The official standpoint of Russ Bullock, PGI and the Dev Team on Masc is currently:
"MASC....MASC terrifies the crap out of us."

Last time they tried, it broke the game, and they don't think they've fixed it yet.
They don't feel that HSR could cope, especially with the spped related problems it already has.

#17 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:23 PM

View PostOvion, on 24 December 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

The official standpoint of Russ Bullock, PGI and the Dev Team on Masc is currently:
"MASC....MASC terrifies the crap out of us."

Last time they tried, it broke the game, and they don't think they've fixed it yet.
They don't feel that HSR could cope, especially with the spped related problems it already has.

One thing they could do is simply skip MASC for lights/fast mechs and only add in slower mechs that have MASC (i.e. Shadow Cat and Executioner).

For a Clan light they could just use the Arctic Cheetah to fill the light slot in a preorder package, and the Cheetah would be more powerful than any MASC light anyways...or any other light at all really. Pretty much the Timberwolf of the light class.

Edited by FupDup, 24 December 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#18 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,578 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:00 PM

Like community warfare, they announced the Flea, we have art and everything. Yes people assumed it would be as close to a Locust as we would ever get prior to the shock of Project Phoenix, but it was still announced and ideally every 'Mech should appear in the game, no matter how minor or DOA people would assume it would be.

#19 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:34 PM

The barrier now, still, and likely always to the Flea is breaking the "speed barrier".

If it goes fast enough to give it lagshields supreme, it can't go in.

Trollmando says hi, BTW.

#20 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:38 PM

I want 20 ton mechs so I can bring more/larger assaults to the CW party.

Edited by El Bandito, 24 December 2014 - 04:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users