Attackers Need Points Too!

6 replies to this topic

#1 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,065 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:17 AM

When attacking (and counter attacking), the scoring system does not favor the attackers objectives. defender's objectives require killing enemy 'mechs, and there is a lot of points in that. however this is not true for attackers, where attacking and especially killing 'mechs is usually detrimental to completing the objectives. especially considering how much more difficult attack is than defense i think that attackers need some scoring buffs to at least even things out, if not giving them a scoring advantage.

killing generators would be worth a few mech kills, perhaps a 2-5x multiplier.
damaging generators should count as assists with similar multiplier.
killing turrets should have a multiplier too and also grant assist points.
you might also reward legging and disarming of mechs or holding ground inside the base.
reward tanking behavior by giving points to mechs that get below a certain health level before death.

i think more ideas should also be considered as well. my defending scores have been in the 150-250 range, but my most successful attacks have been in the <75 points range, and this includes games ive won.

Edited by LordNothing, 25 December 2014 - 04:45 AM.

#2 Shaka808

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHonolulu

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:38 AM

Simple solution, winning an attack gets 80 points , because match score means nothing beyond this event anyway.

#3 Mcgral18

• CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:41 AM

View PostShaka808, on 25 December 2014 - 01:38 AM, said:

Simple solution, winning an attack gets 80 points , because match score means nothing beyond this event anyway.

Aside from Cbills.

Though, you can get 3 attacks in for every (timid) defence, so I guess it almost evens out.

#4 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 02:14 AM

LOL. I watch attackers walk past defending mechs getting blasted all the time. Then they wonder why the defenders win and why they aren't getting points.

#5 Grynos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:30 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 25 December 2014 - 01:17 AM, said:

When attacking (and counter attacking), the scoring system does not favor the attackers objectives. defender's objectives require killing enemy 'mechs, and there is a lot of points in that. however this is not true for attackers, where attacking and especially killing 'mechs is usually detrimental to completing the objectives. especially considering how much more difficult attack is than defense i think that attackers need some scoring buffs to at least even things out, if not giving them a scoring advantage.

killing generators would be worth a few mech kills, perhaps a 2-5x multiplier.
damaging generators should count as assists with similar multiplier.
killing turrets should have a multiplier too and also grant assist points.
you might also reward legging and disarming of mechs or holding ground inside the base.
reward tanking behavior by giving points to mechs that get below a certain health level before death.

i think more ideas should also be considered as well. my attacking scores have been in the 150-250 range, but my most successful attacks have been in the &lt;75 points range, and this includes games ive won.

It is possible to both win an attack and get 80 points, if your attacking scores have been in the 150-250 range with four drops then you are not doing enough damage to warrant the points. I believe you still get points for kills,assists,and component destruction on defending mechs.

#6 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:43 AM

View PostThomasMarik, on 25 December 2014 - 02:14 AM, said:

LOL. I watch attackers walk past defending mechs getting blasted all the time. Then they wonder why the defenders win and why they aren't getting points.

Too many people forget the "gun" part of "run and gun."

#7 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,065 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:51 AM

View PostShaka808, on 25 December 2014 - 01:38 AM, said:

the event is irrelevant. the disparity between attack and defense scores is there regardless. i think that both sides of a battle should be expected to get similar payouts for similar effort. as it is now, defense is a cash cow, and attack is a minimum wage job.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users