Clanner Arrival + Clan Tech Poll- vote and discuss!

40 replies to this topic

Poll: Clanners arrival + Clan tech Poll (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Clanners be PvE? (IE: IS player pilots vs Bot clanners)

1. Yes (29 votes [35.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.80%

2. No (38 votes [46.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.91%

3. No Clanners (14 votes [17.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.28%

How should we go about getting Clan tech?

1. Regular C-Bills from PvP or PvE (22 votes [27.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.16%

2. Some form of "salvage points" you earn for killing clanners or can buy X# of salvage points for X# of Cbills or of course with Cash (35 votes [43.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.21%

3. Never (24 votes [29.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kvidar

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Hey everyone, Just thought of this when I woke up this morning and realized I haven't really seen anything like it on the forums yet, so please vote and discuss. ^-^
Feel free to bring up if you have any other idea I didn't list as an option and i'll adjust the poll accordingly.
-Kv

Edited by Kvidar, 22 June 2012 - 03:26 PM.

#2 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

*headdesk* Can we, maybe focus on the current metagame, instead of worrying about what's going to happen in a year - two?

#3 Kvidar

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 22 June 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

*headdesk* Can we, maybe focus on the current metagame, instead of worrying about what's going to happen in a year - two?

Or maybe instead of being shortsighted you can look at it and realize 99% of whats done now is done already, and polls like this will show the devs what we, the mechwarrior community, would like to see in the next year.

#4 Kyzar Kon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

There isn't a 'never' option. Might want to implement it so you have an accurate poll.

View PostKvidar, on 22 June 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

Or maybe instead of being shortsighted you can look at it and realize 99% of whats done now is done already, and polls like this will show the devs what we, the mechwarrior community, would like to see in the next year.

...or hopefully 'never' at all.

Edited by Kaiser R Metzger, 22 June 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#5 Kvidar

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

Done Kaiser. thanks for the viewpoint ^-^

#6 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

That's where you're horribly wrong Kvidar... it's been stated that mechs alone take atleast a month to make [from conceptual designs to getting them ingame] There's also additional tech for the Inner Sphere to work out.

There's plenty still to be done to the current game. I'm not being short sighted, I KNOW the clans are comming as does pretty much EVERYONE who's involved with this project on some level. What you need to do is not Assume that you know where the dev's are at in relation to content. And as I said, focus on the current metagame.

Not to mention this poll has already been done before.

#7 Kvidar

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

Link it up and i'll trash this one then.
Honestly i only started it because i didn't find anything on searchs and i feel like a poll like this is a very simple way for the devs to see what we want.
and on a side note how many topics have you seen about things like "which mech should come out next"? point being the devs already are extremely familiar with what we want from them in the short run.

#8 Kyzar Kon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 22 June 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

.........And as I said, focus on the current metagame....

Melee Combat

Edited by Kaiser R Metzger, 22 June 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#9 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

Ok so I dont think clanners should be NPC, they should be players. I also do think that there should be "salvage points" for killing clanners so you get more rewards for fighting them.

I'd also be a fan of giving clanners an alternate currency of "honor" that they lose if they die in a fire too often, or they gain for more 1v1 fights. It sounds complicated but I think it would be interesting. I may even support clanners being able to change their mechs more easily because of the absence of a market economy.

It would have to be done in such a way that didnt give them undue advantages (such as battlevalue systems that are balanced) but I think it can be done.

Btw I really do not want to play the clans. I will stick with IS factions. Though I may use some of their weapons or mechs.

#10 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

I've been thinking. Why the big Clan vs None Clan debate? Piranha could Offer matches with clan tech and games without. That way those that want vanilla Battletech can have it and those that want to run around in timber wolves can as well. Everyone is happy. The only down side is it will seperate the player base and mean fewer people player together.

#11 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:51 PM

View PostHexenhammer, on 22 June 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

I've been thinking. Why the big Clan vs None Clan debate? Piranha could Offer matches with clan tech and games without. That way those that want vanilla Battletech can have it and those that want to run around in timber wolves can as well. Everyone is happy. The only down side is it will seperate the player base and mean fewer people player together.

No need for that, and splitting palyerbase is not generally a good idea. The debate comes from the fact that in TT Clan tech is kind of overpovered. "Kind of" because it's balanced by Clan forces having less mechs/tonnage/BV in a battle agains IS, which makes it OP in 1v1 scenario.
In simulation it's not very difficult to balance because you have an extra parameter - reload time, not to mention that number of mechs/tonnage/BV still apply, as do costs of mechs and repair. On top of that you can always play with damage and heat values, although this would deviate from TT ruleset. In short, it's not really that big of a deal and has been done before. Some people just tend to create a huge issue out of it for no apparent reason.

#12 00dlez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:50 PM

How are salvage points any different than cbills? You are adding something in that serves no purpose in the game other than adding a level of complexity.

If you want to regulate the availibility of new/clan tech, inflate c-bill costs. Simple. Easy. Done.

#13 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

well i hope never and all...but i know clans could only be avoided if a:) devs stop progress of timeline in june 3049 and/ or b:) if something really bad happens in clanspace, that would change the whole storyline from 3050 on...

since i don´t believe any of those things to happen, my opinion is : clans should be enemies for us, at least until the invasion stops.
after that, we shall see...
as for clantech...they should be hard to get hands on, and NOT be purchasable by money, only ingame somehow, points or whatever...
the moment you can speed up clantech achievement by realcash, p2w is programmed, since clantech is TOO much of an advantage

#14 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

View Post00dlez, on 22 June 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

How are salvage points any different than cbills? You are adding something in that serves no purpose in the game other than adding a level of complexity.

If you want to regulate the availibility of new/clan tech, inflate c-bill costs. Simple. Easy. Done.

Difference is (if I understand it correctly) that with c-bills you can farm money by fighting IS and simply buy Clan tech, while with salvage points you have to fight Clans in order to get Clan tech.

#15 Death Mallet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

I don't think the clans should be NPCs because computer controlled play:

1. Will never be as challenging as another human can be.

2. Will suck up a HUGE amount of development time, better spent on producing more content.

Just let the clans be run by the people who want to play them. Why spend all kinds of money and time automating something when there are lots of people willing to pay for the privilege of doing it?

The important part is just keeping them in balance. And I think the way to do that is just to follow the "fluff." When the matchmaker forms a "Clan" team, is should just have half the tonnage (or whatever) as an IS team. I think *always* being outnumbered on every drop will cut down on the number of people who want to play clans just for the shiny tech, and will instead limit it to those people who are really into the whole clan thing.

. . . and don't allow cross-tech.

#16 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

I'd be okay with people being able to buy Clan Tech on the black market or get an odd salvage drop once in a blue moon. Clan Tech is ridiculously overprized and hard to maintain, so that already works against it. Also if IS pilots want to integrate Clan Weapons into their IS Mechs, then I'm also fine with that. They just need to buy field refit kits (high demand, low availability) and find the right facilities (i.e. Outreach, NAIS etc.) to make it happen. Sure, it's a bit of a hustle, but may be well worth it. Of course this will also affect maintenance costs, so maybe it's more cost-effective to focus when doing upgrades. Unless money isn't a problem at all. Solaris 7 Grand Finals come to mind here. Totally up to the pilot in question of course.

#17 Lightdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

View PostDeath Mallet, on 23 June 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

I don't think the clans should be NPCs because computer controlled play:

1. Will never be as challenging as another human can be.

2. Will suck up a HUGE amount of development time, better spent on producing more content.

Just let the clans be run by the people who want to play them. Why spend all kinds of money and time automating something when there are lots of people willing to pay for the privilege of doing it?

The important part is just keeping them in balance. And I think the way to do that is just to follow the "fluff." When the matchmaker forms a "Clan" team, is should just have half the tonnage (or whatever) as an IS team. I think *always* being outnumbered on every drop will cut down on the number of people who want to play clans just for the shiny tech, and will instead limit it to those people who are really into the whole clan thing.

. . . and don't allow cross-tech.

THIS!!!

#18 Anixantheas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Screw the clans. I say we back this baby up to 3025 and re-do the 4th succession war!

#19 MrM1971

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationToronto Canada

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

Honestly this is a great idea it takes care of two parts of the game people are asking about

1 some form of a Pve game ( can be solo or coop )

2. brings in the clans the way they are supposed to be ( as our enemie )

3 with salvage it can slowly allow clan tech ( maybe even full clan mechs beeing salvaged if really lucky )( salvage system is great also because it means you cant just buy the upgrades you have to earn them the hard way online )( could allow some items to be purchasable with $ to bolster income for the makers of the game )

it also gives the developers time to think about this after they have the game up and running and all the Inner sphere mechs for this time peroid added ( also gives in a year or more something new for players to work on getting wich keeps people playing )

#20 Bruticus Stickalot

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:35 PM

View PostAnixantheas, on 23 June 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

Screw the clans. I say we back this baby up to 3025 and re-do the 4th succession war!

roger that clan mechs are way too bogus and overpowered for the game only peeps that want them are the guys who cant fight with standard gear and need the derp guns to win.i would rather see comstar added to the mix before any clan test tube stuff.

may the blessing of blake be with you

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users