Have People Playing Pugs Drops Given Up?

37 replies to this topic

#21 ZeroX908

• Pip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:48 PM

View PostDuvanor, on 06 January 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

I can confirm that. Seems like PUGs resist any form of organization.

As PUG myself I am always open to group strategy (when there is one), I always follow directions but I usually end up pushing alone when the time comes and get fragged. It does seem like most others are intentionally disregarding any sound idea presented despite the possibility of them earning more C-bills for winning the match rather than being slagged due to a lack of team organization.

#22 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

View PostZeroX908, on 07 January 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

As PUG myself I am always open to group strategy (when there is one), I always follow directions but I usually end up pushing alone when the time comes and get fragged. It does seem like most others are intentionally disregarding any sound idea presented despite the possibility of them earning more C-bills for winning the match rather than being slagged due to a lack of team organization.

Could not have said it better myself.

#23 redwolf77 Shaw

Rookie

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:23 PM

Everyone here brings up good points, and we as a clan we need to get more bondsmen. train trian so we can do what FRR228, CI and some of the other groups do. B33F is who i have played aginst and watched his crab video on line. I go with the group and have hit more of my own guys becase they dont think about feilds of fire or whos around them all they want is the kill.

#24 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:55 AM

View Postredwolf77, on 10 January 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

Everyone here brings up good points, and we as a clan we need to get more bondsmen. train trian so we can do what FRR228, CI and some of the other groups do.

Part of the problem is Wolf is a very popular faction, so we have a lot of pugs, and a good majority of them are not so great. Then we have the large lore based units which encompass a lot of players, but very few competitive level players.

I was actually rather surprised how well we initially handled the invasion. We only really had one dedicated comp unit, and we held our territory well while still pushing into Steiner and FRR.

This past week though showed where we're weak. We simply didn't have enough competitive players to take on the many, many competitive teams that hit us.

#25 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:10 AM

View PostAresye, on 11 January 2015 - 12:55 AM, said:

Part of the problem is Wolf is a very popular faction, so we have a lot of pugs, and a good majority of them are not so great. Then we have the large lore based units which encompass a lot of players, but very few competitive level players.

I was actually rather surprised how well we initially handled the invasion. We only really had one dedicated comp unit, and we held our territory well while still pushing into Steiner and FRR.

This past week though showed where we're weak. We simply didn't have enough competitive players to take on the many, many competitive teams that hit us.

We need to regroup and consolidate pushes to take worlds and hold our own.

#26 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:15 AM

View PostPkunk, on 29 December 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

For the last two or three days there has been a big decrease in cooperation. There has also been a big decrease in raging which is nice though :) But it leads me to think: have the people trying to get a pug team to do something useful given up?

I know I have given up trying to get everyone to push in a coordinated fashion since the people playing seem to be getting worse and worse. The consesus ingame on attacking now actually seems to be that it's best to standoff at the gate - so bring lrms!

I'm playing EU timezone btw..

actually yes, even on 26% conquered planets, for some reason PUGS seem to always having attack or counterattack. As if this isn't hard enough already, but then pugging this on top is definately not what people enjoy on the long run. And waiting tims for pugs are also quite high..

#27 Tumbling Dice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationThe Outer Limits of the Twilight Zone

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:32 AM

In pug drops I almost always do better damage and k/d playing as a pilot who is aware of what is going on around me. ME! I don't go somewhere because some General Custer clone tells me to. In pugs, we have no idea who is knowledgeable and who is on a power trip. I always try to do what is best for the team while trying to determine if the wannabe commander deserves my obedience. In many cases, the wannabe is trying to have you play for his benefit. I am not fighting to make someone else look good, unless it is a result of good team play.

#28 Pkunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:40 AM

View PostWolfiac, on 11 January 2015 - 01:32 AM, said:

In pug drops I almost always do better damage and k/d playing as a pilot who is aware of what is going on around me. ME! I don't go somewhere because some General Custer clone tells me to. In pugs, we have no idea who is knowledgeable and who is on a power trip. I always try to do what is best for the team while trying to determine if the wannabe commander deserves my obedience. In many cases, the wannabe is trying to have you play for his benefit. I am not fighting to make someone else look good, unless it is a result of good team play.

I'm displeased by the fact that you care about k/d damage in CW. If you want to grind go play another game mode. But hey, to each it's own..
I'm curious though.. When you decide not to go along with someone taking lead, do you speak up about it or do you just let the brave ones walk to their death?

Also, I've never actually seen anyone on a "power trip". Most people taking lead actually have pretty decent tactics. And they are always better than none at all. And how can commanding a team be for your personal benefit?

#29 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:55 AM

View PostPkunk, on 11 January 2015 - 02:40 AM, said:

Also, I've never actually seen anyone on a "power trip". Most people taking lead actually have pretty decent tactics. And they are always better than none at all. And how can commanding a team be for your personal benefit?

This.

Anyway, Aresye is right, we have a lot of pugs. And that CAN in my opinion by an advantage. As i always say CW is a game of numbers more than skill. If just half of our pugs attacked the same target at the same time, they could tie up enough units to leave our units free to engage pugs or have free victories. The opposite can happen too. So, my humble opinion is that we should get back our numbers, our main advantage over the stravag mercs, and let us retake every planet we lost and more!

#30 Tumbling Dice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationThe Outer Limits of the Twilight Zone

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:39 AM

View PostPkunk, on 11 January 2015 - 02:40 AM, said:

I'm displeased by the fact that you care about k/d damage in CW. If you want to grind go play another game mode. But hey, to each it's own..
I'm curious though.. When you decide not to go along with someone taking lead, do you speak up about it or do you just let the brave ones walk to their death?

You are displeased? If I kill more than I die, how can that be negative? And to answer your response referring to "my speaking up" I will use your words from the previous paragrapoh, "to each his own."

A statement like, "And they are always better than none at all." Is, well, self explanatory. Always is a HUGE word. And the statement was not well thought out. Do you command?

Edited by Wolfiac, 11 January 2015 - 05:43 AM.

#31 TitanLord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:36 AM

To lead requires a certain amount of trust and respect from those who would follow you. Most people won't follow some other random no-unit pug dude barking orders in chat during a pug match because those two key ingredients are missing. Especially for those of us in a unit.

The would-be pug commanders can rage about it all they want in a match but this has been a problem for three years now and it is not likely to ever change unless PGI can figure out a way to drop pugs into voice comms with the rest of us.

I think things might be different if other players could hear that the pug commander isn't a 12 year old and/or a total jerk/moron.

Edited by TitanLord, 11 January 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#32 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:41 AM

Pugs are like flying with an elephant on a plane. They turn victories into defeats :) Oh well, I love pugs regardless.

Posted Image

#33 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:57 AM

View PostTitanLord, on 11 January 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

To lead requires a certain amount of trust and respect from those who would follow you. Most people won't follow some other random no-unit pug dude barking orders in chat during a pug match because those two key ingredients are missing. Especially for those of us in a unit.

The would-be pug commanders can rage about it all they want in a match but this has been a problem for three years now and it is not likely to ever change unless PGI can figure out a way to drop pugs into voice comms with the rest of us.

I think things might be different if other players could hear that the pug commander isn't a 12 year old and/or a total jerk/moron.

I see your point but when i pug i usually ask if anyone wants to lead the drop, and i think that a bad leader is better than everyone on his own. Btw, if i was a 12 y.o. kid i would not take lead :P

#34 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:28 AM

I know the past weeks have been hard because of the many comp teams going IS and pushing clans back but i always thought this would be a very strong faction numberswise and given the clan tech advantage hoped that there would be more attacks going on. Didnt happen.

If this is more of a lore based faction you guys should take advatage of the better clan tech and numbers now and take care of steiner. They seem like a good match numbers and lore-orientation wise and CJF is pressuring them whenever they can allthough they are one of the smaller factions.

Since our contract runs out soon and we cant really help with anything until the new ceasefires get introduced i wish you the best of luck in the future.

#35 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

I'm in a small unit so we frequently drop with pugs and I can say this: they're getting better. As time has passed, I think many pugs are starting to see what works and what doesn't and they're getting more receptive to following a plan. As an aside, I generally think the specifics of the plan are really of secondary importance - what really makes a plan work is for everyone to follow it. But i digress.

I had a match yesterday where a pug group snatched victory from the jaws of defeat against some decently skilled players. Not a 12-man comp team, but a few groups of team players who know enough to coordinate a defense and follow a gameplan. It was the last wave of mechs, still had Gen 2 2/3 up on sulfurous rift, and against all odds, the group got the gen down and finished Omega with 6 mechs standing. I was so impressed I grabbed a screenshot.

Posted Image

#36 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

Some days ago i was in a pug drop and we beat another Steiner 12men as well.

#37 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:18 PM

I've been in pug groups that did well on defense, taking down fairly competitive teams, but that match yesterday was an attack which is what really caught my attention.

#38 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:38 AM

View PostKhereg, on 12 January 2015 - 07:18 PM, said:

I've been in pug groups that did well on defense, taking down fairly competitive teams, but that match yesterday was an attack which is what really caught my attention.

That was an attack as well :P

Though it is fair to note that when we won we were at our last 3 'Mechs or so..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users