82 replies to this topic

#21 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:57 PM

I don't have too much issue with having everything on a single account, but I can see some issues.

What I think would have been the way to go about it is to have it all on one account (one email and one password and IMO the same user name), but you have two profiles that you can swap between using a tab at the top, one labeled Inner Sphere and one labeled Clan. They share MC, they share CBills, they share premium time, they share paint, they share cockpit items, etc.

However, when you log in and select a tab, you pick a faction for that tech base. So if you click the IS tab, you pick a Great House or the FRR. If you pick the Clan tab, you select one of the four invading clans.

If you're a part of a unit, your unit picks an IS faction and a Clan faction.

So for me, if I dropped in a Shadowhawk I'd display my FRR allegiance but if I dropped in a Summoner I'd display my Jade Falcon allegiance. This could create some interesting scenarios in CW if eight QQ pilots decided to attack an FRR world as El Pollo Verde and came across eight QQ pilots defending the world as FRR, would be an interesting and incredibly fun fight.

Doing it this way would introduce some issues, but it would negate the issues like people needing to make two accounts or people playing on one account while botting the other to increase earnings per hour as you could only be logged in once and using one profile or the other.

#22 PapaN0X

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 60 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:40 PM

I do like the OP idea. It would be nice to use my IS mechs again.

#23 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 01 January 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

So for me, if I dropped in a Shadowhawk I'd display my FRR allegiance but if I dropped in a Summoner I'd display my Jade Falcon allegiance. This could create some interesting scenarios in CW if eight QQ pilots decided to attack an FRR world as El Pollo Verde and came across eight QQ pilots defending the world as FRR, would be an interesting and incredibly fun fight.

Doing it this way would introduce some issues, but it would negate the issues like people needing to make two accounts or people playing on one account while botting the other to increase earnings per hour as you could only be logged in once and using one profile or the other.

No, this is a poor solution. Not accusing you/QQ of doing this, but that would absolutely build the appearance of "Oh, the QQ on [losing side] threw the match so QQ could win the world for [winning side]". It'd make a huge mess of things, and would fly in the face of immersion.

Multiple pilots under one account is the only viable way to go, IMHO.

#24 DruggedHippo

Rookie

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:07 PM

I like the idea of splitting IS and Clan in one account. I just got The Resistance Pack, and would love to play with some of my IS Mechs in a CW-type environment, especially that Zeus, as it is easily my favorite mech in the BattleTech universe. That or maybe give us the option of playing with one IS mech in a CW Clan drop deck (not completely impossible with Isorla claims... maybe?). Either way, it deserves some thought because otherwise I have a bunch of IS mechs gathering dust...

#25 Senor Cataclysmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:33 PM

I think this is a fab idea. The reason I havent bought more variants of the loyalty mechs is because as a clanner FO LYF I cant use them in CW. I'd be well up for having alt pilots per account.

#26 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 527 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:31 PM

Im all for having two pilots on one account (when it comes to CW anyway), even with a modest MC cost (1000-2000MC sounds fair) to set the second pilot up. Have them share the same Callsign, just have the IS/Clan Mechs split into the two tech bases when in the Faction tab, every other gamemode has all mechs selectable.

Perhaps when the Faction tab is selected, have 2 others appear as Clan and IS, or just have two Faction tabs, one for Clan, one for IS.

I have ~80 Mechs, and it would be nice to have the option to use them all in Community Warfare.

Edited by BumbleBee, 01 January 2015 - 07:32 PM.

#27 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:33 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 01 January 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

No, this is a poor solution. Not accusing you/QQ of doing this, but that would absolutely build the appearance of "Oh, the QQ on [losing side] threw the match so QQ could win the world for [winning side]". It'd make a huge mess of things, and would fly in the face of immersion.

Multiple pilots under one account is the only viable way to go, IMHO.

That was the only hitch I could think of. And while not a tangible issue, the perception it'd create would cause these forums to fill with grown man tears.

#28 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:36 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 01 January 2015 - 07:33 PM, said:

That was the only hitch I could think of. And while not a tangible issue, the perception it'd create would cause these forums to fill with grown man tears.
Yup. I think it would be extremely rare at most, but yeah, the perception of it would be one of the larger s**tstorms we've seen regarding such matters, way worse than sync dropping and whatnot rage.

#29 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 01 January 2015 - 07:36 PM, said:

Yup. I think it would be extremely rare at most, but yeah, the perception of it would be one of the larger s**tstorms we've seen regarding such matters, way worse than sync dropping and whatnot rage.

Might even rival the goon SQUAWK and the Lords ggclosetm

#30 Lagster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:17 PM

I think PGI figured if you went permanent loyalty it means you have zero interest playing the other factions, else you would have just gone merc.

there was some talk about allowing mixtech down the road, maybe eventually you can drop in IS mechs as a clanner and vice versa?

#31 Calamus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:04 PM

View PostLagster, on 01 January 2015 - 10:17 PM, said:

I think PGI figured if you went permanent loyalty it means you have zero interest playing the other factions, else you would have just gone merc.

there was some talk about allowing mixtech down the road, maybe eventually you can drop in IS mechs as a clanner and vice versa?

Well, they're right that I am a clanner at heart, and when I have to choose, I choose Ghost Bear every time. They're very wrong in assuming that I'm ok putting hundreds of dollars to the wayside, in any meaningful way, because I supported their game before my beloved Ghost Bears were made an actual part of the game.

Although I'm a Ghost Bear, I'm not so dumb as to not see that IS mechs are also a lot of fun to play. If they were no fun, then I wouldn't have stuck around as long as I did, waiting for Clans to be added to the game. Oh, and I keep coming back to: I paid for them. Why can't I use them in the most important aspect of the game?

#32 dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLaborer caste mess hall

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:38 PM

And maybe give those original pilots who were smart enough to make IS and Clan accounts, mmmm.... cookies or cockpit bobbleheads! :lol:

#33 Mr D One

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:53 PM

View PostCalamus, on 01 January 2015 - 11:04 PM, said:

Although I'm a Ghost Bear, I'm not so dumb as to not see that IS mechs are also a lot of fun to play. If they were no fun, then I wouldn't have stuck around as long as I did, waiting for Clans to be added to the game. Oh, and I keep coming back to: I paid for them. Why can't I use them in the most important aspect of the game?

Well argued, well bargained and done. Do it PGI.

Good topic

5 stars

#34 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:12 AM

Well, they're right that I am a clanner at heart, and when I have to choose, I choose Ghost Bear every time. They're very wrong in assuming that I'm ok putting hundreds of dollars to the wayside, in any meaningful way, because I supported their game before my beloved Ghost Bears were made an actual part of the game.

Very well said. I love my IS mechs, despite being a dirty Clanner. I hate having hundreds of dollars of real money spent on mechs I can only use in silly games.

View Postdezgra, on 01 January 2015 - 11:38 PM, said:

And maybe give those original pilots who were smart enough to make IS and Clan accounts, mmmm.... cookies or cockpit bobbleheads! :lol:
In retrospect, I could have made a second account when Clans where released, but I'd have had to do it before the mechs were even available (package preorder)... And then, that account would have to have re-ground all the modules, GXP, etc... yikes. That's awful.

At that point, I'd already had years of play building up my collection of... well, everything, and a truly absurd amount of real dollars put into colors and such I'd not be happy to leave behind.

Multiple accounts is entirely unreasonable for a good many players.

#35 JP Ambush

Rookie

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:59 AM

Absolutely support this and the OP

#36 jarien13

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:39 AM

I was recently combing through the Forum Command Chair posts and I recall coming across some posts where Russ and others talked about this issue. As I recall, their stance was that it would require a rework of the backend client, and would not be feasible due to the rewrite required. Now, I cannot speak to the veracity of that claim, but I will try in the next day or so to comb through again and find those posts. I would do it now, but I am exhausted and should have gone to bed a couple hours ago (...and don't ask me "why are you on here posting then" :wacko: )

What would be a nice start at least however, would be a tweak to the UI (it needs overhaul anyway, v3.0 anyone?) that sorts things better, with actual filters to let one look at only IS mechs or Clan mechs for example. It gets annoying scrolling through all my IS and Clan mechs to find the one specific that I'm looking for, even with the weight class tabs (and I only have about 80 mechs, I feel for the people with 100, 120, 150+). For example: the CW drop deck: why do I need to be able to see all my Clan mechs I cannot use while contracted to IS faction, and vice versa? The main screen Mechlab at the least should have a Clan and IS filter, if not just separate tabs altogether.

It should be all about presenting the game through a clear and concise, user search friendly UI. As an example, think about online stores that allow you to sort by manufacturer, model, price, color, etc. Why shouldn't MW:O be able to do the same?

I'll stop now before I get too much further off topic.

Edited by jarien13, 02 January 2015 - 01:40 AM.

#37 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:01 AM

The easy solution to this (and IMHO a little more in concert with the canon battletech universe) would be fixed multiple Drop Decks, each with their own allegiance setting. After all, which (canon) Mechwarrior would own dozens of mechs? Four is stretching it to the extremes already.

I realize though that this is probably not what most people want, rather changing their dd configurations around.

#38 NAZGUULL

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationSc

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:42 AM

I support this! Each account should have 1 Clan profile, and 1 IS profile with shared MC at the least. there is no need to have any more than that. If WarGaming can share MC and Cbills (gold/Silver) for 1 account over 3 different games (world of tanks/warplanes/warships) then there is no reason why PGI can not make this happen.

#39 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:17 AM

What if someone starts as a character from one faction (IS or Clan) but then crosses over? This happened in lore and there may be those who want to do it.

They also could give you IIC Mechs and you trade in existing IS Mechs for them to increase your Clan selection. IIC Mechs would have:
- No omnipods.
- Some customization.
- Clan tech thus be a good test of IS Mechs using Clan Tech
- No quirks to start maybe gaining some later but not as good as IS.
- Possibly less hardpoints restricted to lore.
- Possible tonnage change for a non-lore version. Example, 40 ton Medium that is NOT a Cicada. (There is the Hellhound/Wolverine but not enough lore variants at this time. 40t Trebuchet IIC? 40t Kintaro IIC?)
Tweak from there based on testing.
Both the Locust IIC (25 tons) & Jenner IIC (35) have 3 canon lore variants by 3050. Orion IIC (75) & Commando IIC (25) have none but PGI has 'made up' at least one variant, one of the Enforcers I think. Other IICs from canon have 1-2 variants including Prime by lore in this time with more later then there are the unknown number of IICs that were never published in any canon material.

#40 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:38 AM

I think there should be two pilots per account, one clan and one IS. Let us use everything in between the two including cbills, MC and premium time. As it stands now I have very little incentive to buy any clan mechs and as such I won't. I wouldn't buy a clan pack as I don't have the use for it either. PGI are shooting themselves slightly in the foot by this implementation of CW.

Don't get me started on the mess that is the UI

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users