- - - - -

Returning Noob Needs Advice

33 replies to this topic

#1 Attackmack

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:02 PM

I played a little mwo a year or two ago (time fly by, who counts!?) but have since been away from it. Back when I did play, I still played way too little to actually learn much about the game, and was a decent beginner at the most.

Getting the itch now and hearing about clan warfare introduced im gonna try to get into it again.
So starting from absolute beginning, please advice me on the best course of action to make myself ready and able to participate in CW.
Im watching tutorials and taking in whatever info I can before even starting the game, but what is the few "must knows" that a beginner must learn before even starting the game?

I believe i have some cbills left since before, anyway to put these to good use right from the start or better leave them for later?

Thanks in advance and happy new year to all mechwarriors!
Im eager to be back :)

#2 Rizzwind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 536 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:18 PM

Go clan and spawn camp alot that's what the pros do.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:23 PM

Happy New Year.

I'm certain Spike Brave will be here with his tutorial list sometime soon.

In the mean time:
IS Battlemechs and Clan Omnimechs are very different.
IS Mechs are more upfront damage with a close range advantage, Clan mechs are more DPS-oriented with a long range advantage.

I think you should take some time to use the trial mechs (which are much better than they used to be) before you spend your cbills. This will give you an idea of where you want to steer your funds into what you want to get.

Since it'll be a bit before everyone throws their good advice here... here's something to fill your time.
This is a full match of a random culmination of players defending against an organized 12 man group in Community Warfare.

Also welcome back.

#4 Fusea

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:02 PM

If it makes you feel better, I'm right there with you and will be watching this thread very closely.

#5 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:06 PM

First: Gather C-Bills.

Second: Get something around 200 drops under your belt before jumping into CW

Third: Have 4 mechs mastered (or at least Elited) (total weight needs to be less than 240 tons, and more than 160)

Fourth: watch tutorials on CW. Keep in mind that it's a very objective oriented mode, to the point where suiciding a mech or two, with little to no damage, to kill a generator is worth it.

Fifth: Keep updating this thread with questions. We'll be with you every step of the way.

#6 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts
  • LocationOff in the Desert

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:19 PM

View PostJames T Kirk., on 31 December 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

Or you could not suck with your perked out, heat neutral, focus damage, premiere brawling, wide selection of IS mechs and stop whining when you lose the battle so badly you CAN be spawn camped. Seriously, your name James T Kirk or Wesley Crusher?

As for talking with the returned "Newb" .. (Noob is someone who thinks they know what they are doing when they don't .. you are asking for advice.. there for.. you are a Newb, Much better..)

I have to say Iraqiwalker and Koniving are solid leads to listen to. There are several walk throughs, build load outs and other things on the forums, but if you ever want some hands on instruction, There are those of us here.. Me included.. that will gladly drop with you in voice chat to walk you through some in game training.

#7 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:29 PM

I don't have experience with groups in CW yet, but I can share info as a solo pugger, to add to what's been stated so far.

CW currently has two modes Attack (and Counter-Attack) and Defend.

To get into a match you first need to either choose a Contract to ally to a faction to jump into a match or be in a group that has a contract. Then you can see the Inner Sphere map that has a list on the right side for forces on a particular planets available to attack or defend.

So, those modes are available currently on two maps: Sulfur and Boreal.

For more info on whether you will drop into an Attack (and Counter-Attack) or Defend match check out this post and follow that thread for awesome info overall.

The ultimate goal of the Attacker is to destroy the Main Gun Battery labeled as Omega. To get to Omega you need to destroy three Generators to open it to attack.

But before reaching those generators, you need to open the gates (Three on Sulfur and Two on Boreal).

In your way as an Attacker, are 12 enemy mechs and their Base Turrets.

So once Omega is reduced to zero health the Attacking Team wins.

With the maps, Sulfur is hot and has a small tight base, so brawlers can work well for both sides. Boreal has a huge defender base and more open areas where range is more important.

I'll stop here for now, but know that there are plenty of more minor details that will help you out to succeed in CW!

And from what I read, there are many groups that will be a great help to players unfamiliar to CW so either you gotta find them, or they'll maybe find you!

#8 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:34 PM

View PostSeph MacLeod, on 31 December 2014 - 11:19 PM, said:

As for talking with the returned "Newb" .. (Noob is someone who thinks they know what they are doing when they don't .. you are asking for advice.. there for.. you are a Newb, Much better..)

I have to say Iraqiwalker and Koniving are solid leads to listen to. There are several walk throughs, build load outs and other things on the forums, but if you ever want some hands on instruction, There are those of us here.. Me included.. that will gladly drop with you in voice chat to walk you through some in game training.

Thank you for the vote of confidence Seph.

Also, Attackmack, if you post your mech stable to us (what mechs you own, and can customize), we'd be able to help you come up with builds that work for them, and how to squeeze the best out of your mechs.

#9 Attackmack

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:21 AM

Tnx for replies, much appreciated and ill tryto make the most of the info im given! Newb it is then!
Game is updated and im looking through a few more tuts before im heading into the game for training. Then ill likely spend alot of time setting up controls and settings.

I have a selection of peripherals at my disposal but unsure which are actually useful in mwo. Back when i first played, many tried getting it to work with various joysticks and hotas but the general conclusion was that mouse (possibly with a throttle) was still the best means of control. I saw a current thread about it which seem to indicate not much has changed and linked to a theead by Loc Nar that details the issue in depth.

In any case, aside from mouse keyboard I also have a hotas (x-55), a trackball and trackIR.
Which of these, if any, would complement/replace the mouse or kb in a meaningful way. That is, without putting me at a disadvantage?

If the website profile is correct i have a little over a million c-bills and one mech in my stable, a hunchback.
Dunno where to go with this really but maybe sell the huchback and cling to the bills until ive grown into one of the trials and go for one of those for my own?

#10 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:25 AM

View PostAttackmack, on 01 January 2015 - 02:21 AM, said:

Tnx for replies, much appreciated and ill tryto make the most of the info im given! Newb it is then!
Game is updated and im looking through a few more tuts before im heading into the game for training. Then ill likely spend alot of time setting up controls and settings.

I have a selection of peripherals at my disposal but unsure which are actually useful in mwo. Back when i first played, many tried getting it to work with various joysticks and hotas but the general conclusion was that mouse (possibly with a throttle) was still the best means of control. I saw a current thread about it which seem to indicate not much has changed and linked to a theead by Loc Nar that details the issue in depth.

In any case, aside from mouse keyboard I also have a hotas (x-55), a trackball and trackIR.
Which of these, if any, would complement/replace the mouse or kb in a meaningful way. That is, without putting me at a disadvantage?

If the website profile is correct i have a little over a million c-bills and one mech in my stable, a hunchback.
Dunno where to go with this really but maybe sell the huchback and cling to the bills until ive grown into one of the trials and go for one of those for my own?

DON'T SELL THE HUNCHBACK. It's a good mech, and you will just lose C-Bills by selling it.

Give us it's variant designation (4p, 4SP, H, G, etc.), and we can help you.

EDIT: I can crank out builds for you at record speeds. So keep the mech, and let us help you farm some C-Bills.

EDIT2: Also, the Hunchback family has been my no.1 recommendation for new, and starting players for as long as I remember. It's a good group of variants with clear, and simple roles. Plus, the things maneuver beautifully. Only mech I know of that can shoot directly behind it while going straight forward.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 01 January 2015 - 03:45 AM.

#11 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:13 AM

One thing that isn't glaringly obvious thanks to the UI of the game is that the mech efficiencies (found trhough the skills tab) make a huge difference in the performance of all mechs. Getting full elite efficiencies also doubles the basic efficiencies, making a mech much more agile, faster, and more heat efficient.

You have to have 3 variants of a single chassis to advance to the elite efficiencies, and until you have those full elites on a mech, you will be playing with a remarkable disadvantage compared to pretty much everybody in the game.

Thus, your first objective should be to get 3 variants of a single chassis and level at least one of them up to said full elites so that you have even one mech in which you can actually compete with the other players. This will make your game experience much more enjoyable and bring in much more C-Bills, which will help to get more mechs.

Selling mechs is a bad idea if you value your time, as you only get a fraction of what you paid for the mech back. Even though the game is essentially completely free to play, in order to seriously participate in CW, you will likely at least have to get a couple of mech bays to have enough mechs to use (and get them leveled up.) Do note that free mech bays are often offered as prizes for events, so if you are willing to wait, even this doesn't require real cash.

If you already have a hunchback, I would wholeheartedly recommend getting 2 others to go with it, and level them up. Hunchbacks have very varied variants and can be more interesting to level up than many other chassis that are typically more of one trick ponies.

If you try out the trials (don't do it in the CW unless you want to feel bad) and find something that you really like other than a Hunchie, it might actually be smarter to start a brand new account. New accounts get greatly boosted C-Bills for the first 25 matches, with which you'll end up with much more money than 1 sold Hunchback + 1 mil.

Anyway, get 3 variants of a chassis, level them up, profit. GLHF.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:37 AM

View PostAttackmack, on 01 January 2015 - 02:21 AM, said:

Keep the Hunch. I've got all 7 of them (only 6 can be bought now; the Founder's hunch is the 7th). The ones I sold in the past I bought again (before the quirks, now some of them are just damn overpowered).

I use a HOTAS now and then for my leg controls and since it has the buttons on it, I also have tacked on my jump, power, override, Armlock, and Target keys onto it. The stick wasn't a zero order control, so I can't aim with it without seriously impairing myself. This replaces most keys on the keyboard, and any left overs I either use the keyboard for or the flight stick's easier to reach buttons.

TrackIR is very handy, it can substitute using Left CTRL to look around without turning your mech or torso. Even better (to a point) it won't move your arms, so your enemy won't even know you're watching them. It has only one issue, if you 'tilt' your head, your crosshair icon is in a 3D space as a 2D sprite, so it'll look fine...but your shots will NOT align to where you point. So remember to sit up straight!

I have zero experience with trackballs, experiment!

Anyway, back on that Hunchback.

Here's a semi-complete breakdown on the 6 available Hunchbacks. (The Founder's one just looks different, but it's identical to the 4G so no need to cover the 7th Hunch). Note: "Complete" is coming from "Koniving". o.O; Even if it's just Semi, you've been warned.
Spoiler

Information Overload!

Also random note:
<--Just reached 159 mechs (and many more mechbays left to fill).

>.>

#13 Attackmack

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:57 AM

Thanks guys! Thats alot of info to take in, but ill do my best!

I have been setting up my controls and ran into one issue so far.

I have set it up to use my throttle axis with "half range". This means I can only control either forward or reverse accelleration at a time, and switch between these with a button (invert throttle)
But the game detects my throttle axis in a reversed state (no matter how I move it when setting it) and the "invert throttle" box i can tick in the options only does the same thing as the "invert throttle" button.

So however i set this up, if using half range throttle I always end up having to PULL the throttle back to accelerate, and PUSH it forward to decelerate.

Is there a fix for this?

Anyhow, i finally got into the game and in my mechbay is a HBK-4J,
I dont know if its the standard loadout or if ive messed with it previously, but it has a bunch of lasers and a LRM10. And an AMS without ammo!

I know theres some stuff in my inventory too, and 1.6mil cbills in the account.
2600 xp too, dunno if ive bought any skills aside from that.

Ill be messing around trying to get the throttle to work as i want and then do some games with the trial mechs just to get a bit into the game before i try kitting my hunchback with the aid of you guys!

#14 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:18 AM

Here are 2 set ups for the HBK-4J.

The first one is the more reasonable one, with a STD engine (stock actually), ammo, LRM 10s, and some MLs for back up.

HBK-4J STD 200

This one is a decent set up. I'm sure the others can help you improve on it. Also, bear in mind, that any one of the Medium Lasers can be swapped for a TAG, to help you get locks faster.

The next one is more of a suicidal luxury build. You use an XL engine to help you crap LRM 10s with Artemis+ 3 MLs like the previous one, and just a bit more ammo.

Personally, if I wanted to go for maximum effect, I would remove the Artemis guidance, allowing me to slap in 2 more tons of ammo, or upgrade the engine.

HBK-4J XL 210

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:53 AM

Close the game if open.
In your MWO folder, look for "user.cfg"
If there is none, open notepad (Start Menu: Programs, Accessories, Notepad). If there is, open it with notepad.
Put this inside Notepad.

cl_joystick_gain = 8
cl_joystick_sensitivity = 0.75
cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0
cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 1
cl_joystick_invert_pitch = 1
cl_joystick_invert_yaw = 0
cl_joystick_invert_turn = 0
cl_joystick_deadzone = 0.1

Now, "Save As".
*** IMPORTANT! Note there is a "Save As Type" dialogue below where you would write the file name. Choose "All Files."
Now for the file name, type: User.cfg
Click Save.

Also note the game has its own, separate control for switching your throttle control from forward to back. Are you using this, or one that comes with the joystick? MWO's joystick support is incomplete, you may have to rely on the game's own forward/reverse toggle button instead.

---

On Iraqi's 4J... my god that's a walking time bomb. Good thing the plan there is LRM support!
Though you'll have something like this for a fighting style.

Shame LRMs don't fly like that anymore...

My own configuration: Throttlestick in use in this video.

It's hot and requires a few mouse buttons. The PPC (ER in this case) breaks enemy ECM, allowing me to target them. Twin Medium Lasers allow me to attack things with my arms (what it has now, versus then which was all small lasers). Emergency small lasers let me do some low heat attacks in a bind. Tag on the head lets me mark targets for others to strike as well as accelerate my locks. It was hot, but now all energy weapons have 10% less heat on the 4J so it will be much colder now.

That said... It requires an XL engine which isn't cheap. So here's something in the mean time:
------------
Basic 4J Cheap. Easy. Two button configuration.

Note the armor configuration. Huge emphasis on protecting the important side. Note the left torso, which has the highest point of rear armor. This defends a certain weakspot in the Hunchback's hitboxes that could lead to a rapidly killed Hunchy if you had an XL. This also takes advantage of the large size of the drum to protect your backside when retreating from an enemy (keep the left rear toward the enemy when retreating if not looking directly at the enemy and let it soak the bullets).

It's frequently been said that 6 medium lasers are the deadliest combination you can have at 270 meters. Combine with the 4J's quirks and this thing isn't anywhere near as hot as the Smurfy program thinks. This keeps things dead when they get too close or you get surprised. Your LRMs can still pepper enemies and you have AMS to help deal with enemy AMS. Stick close to an assault mech if you can just to increase your survival expectancy even more. Attacking what he attacks is certain to get you quick, easy kills.

Only issue is the LRMs aren't forgiving for spam. Instead, every missile has to count. No spam, no waste, every. shot. must. count. It's good training.

Reducing AMS ammo to half a ton can let you increase that half ton LRM ammo to a full ton.
Alternatively you can take out the AMS and its ammo entirely, trade the half ton LRM ammo for a full ton and stack in another ton of LRM ammo.

---

I personally use 3 to 4 button configs for better heat management and broader applicability.

Edited by Koniving, 01 January 2015 - 06:57 AM.

#16 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:57 AM

View PostJames T Kirk., on 31 December 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

Shut UP, Wesley!

;)

#17 Attackmack

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:05 AM

Tnx for the builds, i havent gotten any upgrades yet so cant fit the double heatsinks and such, but soon enough!
In the mechlab it says "dynamic structure", What is that?

I solved the throttle issue, sometimes its too easy :)
Just inverted the axis in saiteks own software and it works. Ive come to the conclusion though that a full range throttle is much better if I can just get used to it. Have setup a deadzone in the center to easy and quickly reach a full stop so now all i need is some practice!

#18 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:19 AM

View PostAttackmack, on 01 January 2015 - 07:05 AM, said:

Tnx for the builds, i havent gotten any upgrades yet so cant fit the double heatsinks and such, but soon enough!
In the mechlab it says "dynamic structure", What is that?

I solved the throttle issue, sometimes its too easy :)
Just inverted the axis in saiteks own software and it works. Ive come to the conclusion though that a full range throttle is much better if I can just get used to it. Have setup a deadzone in the center to easy and quickly reach a full stop so now all i need is some practice!

Dynamic structure slots, are the opposite of fixed structure slots. It means these guys can move around to make room for what you want to put in a mech.

Read This guide to help you with mech construction.

EDIT: Whenever you're going to buy a mech, always add 1.5 Million C-Bills on top of it's price. That's the cost for the DHS upgrade, which is mandatory on all but 6 or so builds.

View PostKoniving, on 01 January 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

On Iraqi's 4J... my god that's a walking time bomb. Good thing the plan there is LRM support!

Oh god yeah. I would never put XLs in a hunchie that isn't the 4SP, unless it was never meant to see the front line. Also, slapping ammo in the left torso works out because everyone is shooting your right, so ammo explosions are a rarity.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 01 January 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#19 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:23 AM

I would also suggest asking if you can drop with anyone who's posted in this thread, myself included, since I hate pugging solo lol.

So really feel free to add me, its better to get killed with a buddy and have fun.

Edited by Iron Harlequin, 01 January 2015 - 12:13 PM.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:35 AM

(The structure slots are the "cost" of space for using the Upgrade called Endo Steel, which cuts the weight of the skeletal structure by 5%. For a 50 ton mech, that's 2.5 tons additional space).

(This would come with an additional repair cost to any damaged 'structure' after a match... if repair and rearm was still here, but it's not so until it comes back -- which it hasn't for 2+ years -- you may as well use it).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users