Profanity Filter?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan220

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:37 AM

Hello all.

is there a profanity filter in MWO?

Ive had a look and cant seem to find one.

It would be nice to be able to filter out all the abuse that seems to be hurled around in every match - whether it be directed at individuals, teams or just in general.

Thank you

#2 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:43 AM

Not yet.

In my case, I leave global Chat as disabled to prevent such negative drivel from effecting me.

So depending on your experiences you might do the same or even consider disabling more options for you.

If you need help finding them I can post directions and pics as to how to find them!

#3 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

also if someone is swearing or otherwise in violation of the code of conduct:
http://mwomercs.com/...nduct-expanded/

take a screenshot (press the print screen button on your keyboard, if you used default installation settings it should be in your "C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\USER\ScreenShots" folder) and email it to support@mwomercs.com with a few details. this should help reduce the (already small) amount of objectionable language used ingame.

#4 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

View PostRyan220, on 01 January 2015 - 12:37 AM, said:

Hello all.

is there a profanity filter in MWO?

Ive had a look and cant seem to find one.

It would be nice to be able to filter out all the abuse that seems to be hurled around in every match - whether it be directed at individuals, teams or just in general.

Thank you

Welcome to the internet. There are people out there who apparently don't grasp that not everyone is as wonderful and fabulous at this game as they are. So it is understandable that we mere mortals will often fail to live up to their expectations. We can only hope they find it in their hearts to forgive us. All I can say is in the coming year I will try to the best of my poor efforts to reach their olympian heights.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:10 PM

One thing I do is use the 'attitude' of the match's chat to determine what bracket I've been thrown in.

Kinda low-end where not-so-skilled vets are frequently thrown in with new players... that's got a lot of profanity from the frustration in which the low-end vets will blame the new players for any and every failure of the team overall to the complete exclusion of themselves. That's where Ryan might be at.

Then when you get too high, you have elitists who rock exclusively the meta and worship it as if it were the 'only-way-to-win' gospel. Do one move that is wrong in their eyes, and oh how you'll hear it. And should you best them without the meta, the team "failed" him.

Or my favorite, and this has no bracket limit.. Enemy goes and starts to base capture. So you win by capturing their base even though they started it first! "How boring, only wimps win by capturing the base." Well, well, heh. We're 'wimps' for keeping you busy at our base preventing you from completing the capture and becoming 'wimps' yourselves, but because we outdid you at your own tactic, we're lame? *Puts on sunglasses.* B) Deal with it.

For the most part, you'll find that the attitude issues you're facing will fade when the game believes you've grown past their level in terms of how it does match making.

#6 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:41 PM

well, There is the fact that if there is ever a profanity filter in MW: O, most people will cancel it as worlds like Hello, Assassin, Japan, etc would be cought by profain language... and forign language could still be used to curse and let's not pretend not everyone on MW: O is english. Half the time the reason a team doesn't talk to you when your trying to be a team leader is because they don't understand your language. (half the time... there are still those challenging people who just do not want to work together...)

Simply use your mental willpower to ignore it, or turn off the all chat.

Because a filter will not solve any problems.

#7 BUDFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:04 AM

People who are easiliy offended offend me.

#8 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:56 AM

Turning off the "All Chat" in your client settings works wonders to squelch the children.

You still have your own team to listen to, and you will occasionally have children there too, but disabling all chat takes away 50% of it immediately. And as Kon says, as you progress, you slowly start to leave most of the children behind.

#9 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:09 AM

Strange, I rarely experience foul attitude from the enemy in All Chat. Most of it is in Team Chat where people like to rage at their own teammates. My All Chat experience so far has been very positive, seems like most people are super friendly.

#10 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:15 AM

There are regiments out there (*cough* Seraphim *cough) that have a no profanity policy.

#11 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:23 AM

I do not have tourettes, i was born in Brooklyn.

#12 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:15 AM

I like to congratulate the enemy when they have provided me with an excellent experience, defined as neither simply allowing me to win, nor instantly annihilating me before I even get in range to target them. A duel with another light that for whatever reason doesn't get entered into by either side's main force that ends with one mech destroyed and one badly damaged for instance. I really enjoy getting to showcase and improve my dueling skills and getting to test them against my peers.

#13 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

Odd they don't have it.. But honestly i find it is rare where you have matches with people that are just jerks.. In fact i find the silent matches out-weight the ones with a not so nice person happen far more often..

But over all, typically people are nice, and it is fun, and outside of the random people saying Noob, or retarted, or moron. (which i find not the norm) 90% of the time, I find the game is pretty clean over all as far as any online game goes.. I play entire nights for hours and not see a single rant.. /shrug..

maybe i have finally just fallen into that middle ground Kon was talking about where the matches are just fun..

Edited by JC Daxion, 02 January 2015 - 01:30 PM.

#14 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:46 AM

Had someone on the opposing team congratulate me for good play this morning. Made me feel good. Good sportsmanship should be more common than it is, but bad sportsmanship is fairly uncommon from enemies in my experience. Teammates on the other hand...

#15 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:52 AM

I would love a profanity filter in this game. Star Trek Online had one, as did some of the other games I've played. I can't figure out why PGI doesn't have one yet. Short of one, I'd go for an ignore feature like the one in STO. If someone kept spouting off, you could right click, choose ignore, and watch his little rant vanish, never to be seen or heard again.

It was beautiful, as good as a mute button on your TV remote!

Profanity is symbolic of a lazy mind, poor sportsmanship, and disrespect for the people around you. If anyone cussed me in real life, he'd find himself talking through his shoes.

Having to endure it while you try to play a game for fun and relaxation is really disappointing.

#16 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:53 AM

<--- Has been MWO's tattletale since the beginning. Railing about the match or your mech or the game or life in general, fine, :mellow: I understand... start cussing out your fellow players however and I whip out my support ticket email template. <_<

Cleaning up MechWarrior, one emotionally stunted individual at a time.

Generally a filter would be nice, but usssuuallly isn't a big deal. Until something changes you just have to work hard at developing a mental blind spot

Edited by juxstapo, 03 January 2015 - 09:54 AM.

#17 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:58 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 01 January 2015 - 09:41 PM, said:

well, There is the fact that if there is ever a profanity filter in MW: O, most people will cancel it as worlds like Hello, Assassin, Japan, etc would be cought by profain language... and forign language could still be used to curse and let's not pretend not everyone on MW: O is english. Half the time the reason a team doesn't talk to you when your trying to be a team leader is because they don't understand your language. (half the time... there are still those challenging people who just do not want to work together...)

Simply use your mental willpower to ignore it, or turn off the all chat.

Because a filter will not solve any problems.

1. You say yourself people will disable it. So? How will that affect other people?

2. Mental willpower huh? I will pass that along to my 10 yr old son. Damn why the **** didn't I think of such a brilliant ******* idea?

3. Based on your own first paragraph, it would work fine for those who are willing to use it or have it forced on them by a higher power, such as a parent or judgmental deity.

Edited by Nick Makiaveli, 03 January 2015 - 09:59 AM.

#18 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:06 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 03 January 2015 - 09:58 AM, said:

2. Mental willpower huh? I will pass that along to my 10 yr old son. Damn why the **** didn't I think of such a brilliant ******* idea?

:( Point taken

#19 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:05 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 03 January 2015 - 09:58 AM, said:

1. You say yourself people will disable it. So? How will that affect other people?

3. Based on your own first paragraph, it would work fine for those who are willing to use it or have it forced on them by a higher power, such as a parent or judgmental deity.

okay.

just keep in mind, people who use the profanity filter will think people saying hello to them is actually cursing at them.

What they type: "Hello Nick"
What you see: "**** Nick" (with filter)

or....
Person 1: What is your favourite mech?
Person 2: assassin
Person 2: (with filter): ********
Person 1: um.... okay...

Also the filter will **** with german players a lot as there words do conflict with most profanity filters...

But hey... I guess it depends what the MW: O profanity filter will filter...

#20 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:32 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 01 January 2015 - 09:41 PM, said:

as words like Hello, Assassin, Japan, etc would be caught...

^_^ Japan is my new favorite curse.

{Capellan} Jappin' Japanese Japaners! :angry:

Hey, in most circles it's apparently less offensive than:
"American America Americkers!" :blink:

EDIT:
Disclaimers:
1. just picking Night, I realize that was probably typed on a phone.
2. Yes I realize "{Capellan}" has been used as a racial epithet, not the intent here.
3. Yes, I am 'Murican and No, I have nothing against my country. No disrespect intended here.
4. Oh **** it. I'm gonna not try to be funny anymore. (Hey, the spell checker passes "gonna" as correct, hah).

5. Yes... I literally just typed a string of asterisks for number 4, I didn't actually say ****... look, it's early for me okay?

EDIT EDIT: Hah! The censor caught the first three letters from "Japanese" and switched it to {Capellan}... which doesn't make a lick of sense. :huh:

EDIT EDIT EDIT: BOB SAGET!

Edited by juxstapo, 04 January 2015 - 07:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users